• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Portions of) Yakuza 3 coming to the West - March 2010

Mailenstein said:
This game has nothing to do with GTA or Shenmue. I know, ppl are comparing those, but that's totally wrong.

So...what is it? From what I've played it's a brawler with some open world-lite mixed in. Does that change much?

Edit:

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's not. If that's what you're looking for, bail out.

It's basically an open world brawler with random battles, RPG elements, and a hell of a lot of fun distractions. There's a pretty interesting story to follow, but if you want GTA - this isn't it.

Yup, seems like I hit it on the head. I guess I'll put another hour or so into it before I decide to bail out or not. BTW, how does Y2 compare to Y3? The main reason I got Y2 was to see what all the fuss was about before Y3 gets released.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
So...what is it? From what I've played it's a brawler with some open world-lite mixed in. Does that change much?

Edit:

Yup, seems like I hit it on the head. I guess I'll put another hour or so into it before I decide to bail out or not. BTW, how does Y2 compare to Y3? The main reason I got Y2 was to see what all the fuss was about before Y3 gets released.
Y3 is certainly prettier but in my opinion Y2 is the better game. Y3 has a really awful beginning, even by the usual standards of the series.

I'd say stick with Y2 for a while longer. It didn't grab me til the story started heating up, then I got involved in all the side shit and in the end I ended up spending about 30 or so hours on it.

lostxii

Segata Sanshiro said:
Y3 is certainly prettier but in my opinion Y2 is the better game. Y3 has a really awful beginning, even by the usual standards of the series.

I'd say stick with Y2 for a while longer. It didn't grab me til the story started heating up, then I got involved in all the side shit and in the end I ended up spending about 30 or so hours on it.

What was wrong with it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Fetch-questing for orphans. It's annoying.

wait, wait

orphans ask you to do fetch quests
or
you have to fetch quest and the items you're collecting are orphans

please tell me it's the latter

Stumpokapow said:
wait, wait

or

I would not be lying if I told you it is sometimes both.

rvy

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
wait, wait

or

:lol :lol :lol

YuriLowell said:
Yakuza 3 isint gonna sell more then 100k in the states.

Get over it.

Sega wont market it, and they know its not gonna sell.
That's the whole reason they were dicking us around in the first place. I still hope we get Yakuza 4 though. I have no hope for Kenzan though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I should be doing hw said:
That's the whole reason they were dicking us around in the first place. I still hope we get Yakuza 4 though. I have no hope for Kenzan though.

Funny that I only care for Kenzan to be released :/

I seem to remember when Yakuza bomb there's argument that US audience just don't care much about japanese yakuza theme. with that thought in mind, don't you think Kenzan should have better chance to sell in US than Yakuza series.

I think US have much more exposure to samurai than yakuza, so maybe the game will have more appeal to them. and we've seen much more samurai in movies and video games than yakuza. onimusha, way of samurai, samurai showdown, samurai warriors, there's also that last samurai movie which I thought is pretty big, I'm sure there are a lot more.

also, there's usually ninja in samurai games. and ninja are widely accepted as cool in all country...

I hope we got Kenzan too someday. =(

Callibretto said:
I seem to remember when Yakuza bomb there's argument that US audience just don't care much about japanese yakuza theme. with that thought in mind, don't you think Kenzan should have better chance to sell in US than Yakuza series.

I think US have much more exposure to samurai than yakuza, so maybe the game will have more appeal to them. and we've seen much more samurai in movies and video games than yakuza. onimusha, way of samurai, samurai showdown, samurai warriors, there's also that last samurai movie which I thought is pretty big, I'm sure there are a lot more.

also, there's usually ninja in samurai games. and ninja are widely accepted as cool in all country...

Well, Last Samurai certainly wasn't big because of the samurai.

I don't think Kenzan is the kind of samurai that people in North America find "cool". It's closer in feel to Way of the Samurai, which was not exactly a big seller in NA. North Americans don't give a flying fuck about Musashi Miyamoto, and I really think the first four chapters would send most people on their way.

Either game is doomed to low sales, at any rate. I can only guess SEGA has figured out how to turn a profit off 30k sales.

DeVeAn

To be Honest I totally get when this game just ain't your cup of tea. I don't get though how so many people have this game as "not there cup of tea".

I mean it has an interesting story and cool main character. Combat isn't Ninja Gaiden deep but its so awesome smashing dudes into the pavement with your boots.:D

Man I want this game.

Callibretto said:

i think they could get passable sales with some right marketing even with kenzan. i don't think it's advisable to aim at the brainless action and violence crowd, same for yakuza.

that should keep the disappointments low.

Zyzyxxz

Segata Sanshiro said:

I don't think Kenzan is the kind of samurai that people in North America find "cool". It's closer in feel to Way of the Samurai, which was not exactly a big seller in NA. North Americans don't give a flying fuck about Musashi Miyamoto, and I really think the first four chapters would send most people on their way.

Either game is doomed to low sales, at any rate. I can only guess SEGA has figured out how to turn a profit off 30k sales.

Maybe they should try digital distribution and forget the English voice acting and just give us poorly translated subs, as long as I can play Kenzan I would be happy.

Yakuza is my christmas game of choice, and damn is it still fun! Graphics are pretty blurry, but this is the price you pay for getting used to hd graphics I guess. Art direction and lighting is nice though.

I am getting a total Shenmue vibe, and I think I am right to assume that large parts of the Shenmue team have worked on this.

Yakuza 2 is next :D

schennmu said:
The game is so fucking japanese. Haven't played something like that for some time.

Looking forward to Y2!!!
Yeah Y1 plays like crap after you play 2, seriously. The refinements are very noticeable and welcome. Can't wait to replay them on PC emulator, see if I can get the graphics to look good or not.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
batbeg said:
At the risk of pissing off all the fans... $60? Laaawl.

I'm a fan and I'm pissed off at that price for this game and any other! iirc neither of the previous Yakuza games released at the full $50 price in the US so why does this one over a year late justify a $60 release? They're just asking me to sit back and wait until a sale/price drop -_-

Lindsay said:
I'm a fan and I'm pissed off at that price for this game and any other! iirc neither of the previous Yakuza games released at the full $50 price in the US so why does this one over a year late justify a $60 release? They're just asking me to sit back and wait until a sale/price drop -_-
I'm not a fan of the $60 price point for any game, but why should Yakuza 3 be priced like a second-class game? It's probably one of the ten best PS3 games.

vazel

Banned
I'm sure the price is going to go down to $40-50 it just went up at Amazon and their initial prices are sometimes wrong. Afrika was at $60 until release day.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not a fan of the $60 price point for any game, but why should Yakuza 3 be priced like a second-class game?

Why did the first two get priced like second-class games? $40 -> $30 -> $60 is abit off! Milking the fans to try an make budget on this release is colddddd. Plus I'm already conceeding on my principal of not buying games with forced installs for Y3, I'd be a total sellout if I also conceeded on my "not buying games @ $60" principal!

vazel said:
I'm sure the price is going to go down to $40-50 it just went up at Amazon and their initial prices are sometimes wrong. Afrika was at $60 until release day.

Ya I hope its just an early estimate. $50 would be good by me and Segac deserves that much for bringing the game over.

zoku88

Lindsay said:
Why did the first two get priced like second-class games? $40 -> $30 -> $60 is abit off! Milking the fans to try an make budget on this release is colddddd. Plus I'm already conceeding on my principal of not buying games with forced installs for Y3, I'd be a total sellout if I also conceeded on my "not buying games @ $60" principal!
What do the previous games have anything to do with it? It's obvious why those were priced differently, the latter being the most obvious (as a late PS2 game.)

There will simply be no excuse if it doesn't have the japanese voices on there. I'm sure Y3 doesnt take up too much of the Blu-Ray, so the PS2 DVD space issue isn't there at all.

I have no idea why theyre wasting this money on a dub. Will they genuinely try and advertise and go big with the franchise again (in which case don't release it in March you fucking clowns) or its just a classic Sega escapade in wasting money that the small group of people going to buy the game aren't interested in?

Likelyhood percentage of ever seeing Yakuza 4 is now at a record low and will be in the minus numbers if no japanese track is included :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Lindsay said:

Ya I hope its just an early estimate. $50 would be good by me and Segac deserves that much for bringing the game over.

It's a huge game as big as any other full retail game, why should it be priced less? Comparing it to the PS2 games doesn't really work either.

What's going on here anyway? Everyone was pushing for this game to get released in the US and throwing shit at Sega, now that they are releasing it, everyone still seem to be complaining.

I, for one, am still excited about this game and its release here.

Gorgon

Segata Sanshiro said:

I think that the idea that samurai games don't sell isn't exactely correct. In my opinion the problem is that the vast majority is shit, plain and simple. Even the Way of the Samurai
games weren't really good, they simply were the best in an open-ended feudal Japan setting that had no competition, and so gathered a loyal fanbase. It's like saying that Western games don't sell when the vast majority is aceptable at best when it comes to quality. Call of Juarez was quite successful if I remember correctly and Red Dead Redemption will no doubt sell quite well.

androvsky

SecretBonusPoint said:
There will simply be no excuse if it doesn't have the japanese voices on there. I'm sure Y3 doesnt take up too much of the Blu-Ray, so the PS2 DVD space issue isn't there at all.

I have no idea why theyre wasting this money on a dub. Will they genuinely try and advertise and go big with the franchise again (in which case don't release it in March you fucking clowns) or its just a classic Sega escapade in wasting money that the small group of people going to buy the game aren't interested in?

Likelyhood percentage of ever seeing Yakuza 4 is now at a record low and will be in the minus numbers if no japanese track is included :lol

I've heard that Y3 takes up about 23 GB. Second-hand info at least, could be wrong, etc... Not a lot of room for both languages unless they go dual-layer, something that even big-budget first party Sony productions are loathe to do.

Still, I remember seemingly dozens of independent confirmations that the Japanese voices would be on there (and nearly as many confirmations that there would be no dub); if Sega of America can't even get this right there's really no hope for them.

I think I'll just wander over to the original announcement post on the PS Blog and see what the original story was (there were a bunch of official replies a couple days after the post went up).

edit:

Aaron Webber replied on December 10, 2009 at 5:55 pm

There aren’t any plans for English voice-overs currently.

Personally, I’m a big fan of listening to Japanese style movies and series in authentic Japanese (Yakuza 3 also has a rather all-star cast, to boot), as opposed to hearing people in English attempt to fit it down.

That said, there are rare cases when English dubbing is done very well (i.e., Valkyria Chronicles), but even in that case we still offered gamers the choice between English and Japanese. So, right now we’re going to be sticking to the fully authentic Japanese voices, but we’ll keep you posted if any other options show up. :)

Ah, no plans currently (as in three months before release). Wow. That's a lot of lines to get recorded in time to incorporate into the game and debug it. Well, with the anime industry leaving behind a bunch of giant but hungry dub studios, maybe it's possible.

hirokazu

If there's no Japanese voices, they've just pissed on the people who wanted this game localized in the first place and were gonna make up 80k of the game's 100k sales. :lol Oh, Sega.

androvsky

The Sega person seems to speaking somewhat generically on localization costs from what I'm hearing.

More quotes from the podcast:

Newly-promoted Sega guy who's not working on the Yakuza 3 project:
"I think we had Michael Madsen in Yakuza 2..."

1up guys:
"Yeah, you did."

EXGN

Why is everyone assuming there won't be a Japanese dub now? When they announced the game, the said it would feature the Japanese dub. Just because they say 'Now there's gonna be an English dub' doesn't make their previous statement void.

At any rate, while GAF might not be interested in an English dub, I think this could potentially be a good move. The people happy with just the Japanese are an extremely vocal minority, no English is a huge turn off the casual majority. That being said, they are gonna have to market the hell out of this game if they actually want it to catch on.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Shikashi said:
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?! MOTHERFUCKERS!

hirokazu said:
If there's no Japanese voices, they've just pissed on the people who wanted this game localized in the first place and were gonna make up 80k of the game's 100k sales. Oh, Sega.

you think SEGA want to lose money on dubs and actors just because the Americans Dudebros who can't read subs or something ?

SCEA force English dub on publishers.

androvsky said:
The Sega person seems to speaking somewhat generically on localization costs from what I'm hearing.

1up guys:
"Yeah, you did."

Haha, I said he was clueless in the podcast thread but told he was a bigwig Director or something. Clearly he doesn't know whats actually going on with the project, so panic over I think.

Totobeni said:
SCEA force English dub on publishers.

Maybe years ago, but not anymore. Don't propagate nonsense.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
EXGN said:
Why is everyone assuming there won't be a Japanese dub now?

Because dual audio games are few and far between on consoles in the US.

At any rate, while GAF might not be interested in an English dub, I think this could potentially be a good move. The people happy with just the Japanese are an extremely vocal minority, no English is a huge turn off the casual majority. That being said, they are gonna have to market the hell out of this game if they actually want it to catch on.

The extremely vocal minority is actually the extremely vocal majority when it comes to this franchise. No one else gives a fuck.

androvsky

SecretBonusPoint said:
Maybe years ago, but not anymore. Don't propagate nonsense.

Well, they did as recently as Arcana Hearts in early 2008 (Atlus had to remove the Japanese voices in order to fulfill that requirment). And that was for a PS2 game. Clearly there wasn't a requirement for Yakuza 2, but the general assumption was that they finally dropped it since the PS2 was getting close to end-of-life.

Aksys said that the sub-only Record of Agarest War is PSN only due to Sony requirements; I doubt it's the sexual innuendo given what God of War and Heavy Rain gets away with. Maybe Sony's actually going ahead with the Japanese import store on PSN and they're giving Aksys a special deal, but we can only speculate.

EXGN

androvsky said:

1up guys:
"Yeah, you did."

What about this quote?

Constantine: Back to Yakuza, again, Whenever Sega brings a game over here and makes the investment, the heavy investment, into localization, we're talking over 500, 6-700K to localize this game. Lot of voices, lot of different peeps in the game, lot of different characters.

David: Have you announced any of the cast for Yakuza 3?

Constantine: No, but I pretty much don't work on any of that. I work with folks in my department who work on this stuff. I've played it a bit, Japanese, always fun to play.

I mean, I see where it could be misinterpreted as someone talking about general localization, but he goes specifically back to Yakuza 3 later and starts talking voice casts again. Then David asks him specifically if they've got any voice actors for Yakuza 3 - if they weren't dubbing it, he would have clarified that they weren't doing instead of saying just 'no'.

klee123

Well if Sega does do a dub for Yakuza 3, we can say goodbye to any chances of Yakuza 4 being translated now!

Kintaro said:
Because dual audio games are few and far between on consoles in the US.

Sega did state on the PS blog that the original Japanese VA will be in the retail release.

Top Bottom