• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

TriMet and the Oregon Department of Transportation are encouraging folks to stay inside. Most bus lines are closed (check schedules here), chains are required for all cars. There's another 3-5 inches of snow expected between now and the afternoon. Basically, don't go into work unless your job is absolutely essential (literally people will die if you don't show up). And get used to it; temps aren't going above freezing until the weekend, so we could potentially have over a foot of snow on the ground through the long weekend.

brau

well, glad i decided to work from home today. Not sure if that will fly tomorrow. It looks super pretty outside tho.

brau

Some pics from earlier. Snow is so cool.

em7rI49.jpg

7dYbE0Z.jpg

RitD2cN.jpg

ulYxu3X.jpg

ZI17Q2V.jpg

iIExDN3.jpg

brau

Took me 2.5 hrs to get to work this morning. I guess one of the MAX trains derailed by Moda Center. Make it there by shuttle to take a running MAX downtown, only to get stuck for another 30 mins after a office chair furniture truck got stuck ON the rails. hahaha

I hope you guys are having a better morning. I'll see what is open and treat myself to a nice lunch hopefully.

brau

Seems like it. Its only supposed to be subfreeze temps until Saturday. A lot has been melting the last couple of sunny days.

Cat Party

It's really dumping now out on the east side. Hope the rain is warm enough to cut through all the ice so my kids might actually go to school again some day.

brau

There was a teacher at the pool just earlier, she was saying its now 8 missed days of school now?

Thats a lot.

On my way home from work it was already starting to come down some rainy ice. Very slipper. Not a good time to go out unless you really have to.

brau

Is it a far away commute? they literally sent me home, but mostly cuz i take public transport. i hope conditions are not dangerous for her. It looks slick outside.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is it a far away commute? they literally sent me home, but mostly cuz i take public transport. i hope conditions are not dangerous for her. It looks slick outside.

She is a nurse, no way they send her home early. She should be fine, the only tricky part will be off the highways.

jfoul

I'm looking for a place in the Portland area that sells good hardwood furniture that's reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

All of our current furniture is all nice, contemporary, solid hardwood pieces. Hauling all of this across the country in a truck is just a huge pain in the ass, and a possibility it can all get damaged. On the other hand, it could be really expensive to replace all of it.

brau

I'm looking for a place in the Portland area that sells good hardwood furniture that's reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

All of our current furniture is all nice, contemporary, solid hardwood pieces. Hauling all of this across the country in a truck is just a huge pain in the ass, and a possibility it can all get damaged. On the other hand, it could be really expensive to replace all of it.

Ikea?

Just got a few things for the apt and they are pretty nice and good quality. Even tho you have to put them together yourself.

If you have some other examples of what you would like.

Here is what i put together this last week.

jfoul

Depends on what reasonably priced means to you, jfoul.

Most of the furniture I buy is usually ordered, and built with the options I want. For example, my two dark cherry chair-side tables for the front room were $250+ each. The two nightstands with the bedroom set, were almost $400 each (Three drawers, touch Illuminating base lights, electrical wiring with three sockets built in the top media drawer)

Edit:

We decided to keep our furniture. Even if we sell off the furniture, we would still need to rent a small truck, or trailer for the rest. My home theater alone takes up a decent amount of space. The below pictures aren't of my setup, but that's the 7 speakers that I currently have.

I just want to get this move over with so we can move on with our life. This whole process is stressing me the hell out, and the current housing market in Portland doesn't help at all.

brau

From where are you moving?

I made the move all the way from the east coast. NY, and it was really stressful. But i got some really good movers that really took a weight off my shoulder. I also shipped the car out. It was pretty good price tbh, and the studio i work for payed for everything.

I can reference you what i used and some of my quotes. So you get an idea.

jfoul

From where are you moving?

I made the move all the way from the east coast. NY, and it was really stressful. But i got some really good movers that really took a weight off my shoulder. I also shipped the car out. It was pretty good price tbh, and the studio i work for payed for everything.

I can reference you what i used and some of my quotes. So you get an idea.

Moving from NE Ohio, and paying for everything out of pocket.

So far the plan is to load everything into a rental truck and drive. We're probably going to drive our car as well, instead of putting it on a trailer and use it as a chase car. Luckily, my father has volunteered to help with the drive. Looking at roughly $2400 for the rental, and gas.

I'm still open to the idea of getting movers and shipping the car. Any moving info is greatly appreciated.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
hitting up portland in april.

what are some dive bars to check out? will be staying on SE Main St.

SE Main in from 40th or out?

In from 40th, off the top of my head:

- Jolly Roger
- Sassy's (stripclub but a good dive bar as well)
- My Father's Place
- Reel M Inn

jfoul

Well, it's for real now. We applied for an apartment, and started hashing out the details for me to work remotely. Portland bound in roughly 1-2 weeks.

Edit 1: I ended up saving a lot of money by picking up a Penske truck in Pittsburgh. It's a 40 minute drive, but I saved $800 ($1200 total) and got an extra day with the rental.
Edit 2: My wife got a transfer! I'm also going from midnight shift (12am - 8am) to morning shift (7am - 3pm).

Any local mover recommendations? I'm thinking about hiring two movers to unload the truck after the drive.

jfoul

It's less than a week now for our move. Everything is working out better than I anticipated. Moving costs ended up being lower than I thought. My wife just got a transfer to a location in north Tigard. We'll both be getting two weeks vacation to setup, and settle in. After three days of driving, we should be at our new place on the 13th.

brau

It's less than a week now for our move. Everything is working out better than I anticipated. Moving costs ended up being lower than I thought. My wife just got a transfer to a location in north Tigard. We'll both be getting two weeks vacation to setup, and settle in. After three days of driving, we should be at our new place on the 13th.

Good luck on the move. :D

mYm|17|

I will be moving from Seattle to Portland end of March. I am staying here in Seattle until our lease is up. My partner is already there now working and living out of his Airstream trailer at Columbia RV Park. We're in the process of getting a mortgage loan so that we can begin the process of putting in offers for houses. He is used to all that, but it's so new to me so it's pretty daunting.

Hoping to get into a new home by early June, crossing fingers. I don't know how long I can live in a RV camper.

I might hire two movers for two hours to unload our truck. Anybody have experience with the local movers, or recommendations?

My wife and I had a great experience with 2 Brothers Moving last summer. They're one of those "come into your house, box everything up, load it into their own truck and unload it at your new place" movers, so I'm not sure if they just do truck unloading, but they were an all-around great experience.

My wife and I had a great experience with 2 Brothers Moving last summer. They're one of those "come into your house, box everything up, load it into their own truck and unload it at your new place" movers, so I'm not sure if they just do truck unloading, but they were an all-around great experience.

My current roommate used them when she moved into the place we're in and I was surprised at the charges (they charged her for their drive time out to her place and back to their office?) and they didn't come prepared to get her furniture over the balcony so I ended up having to help and cut my hand in the process. I'm sure the latter was just a fluke (my roommate likely didn't prep them well enough for the job) but I asked around and their costs seemed higher than most others.

I will say the rest of the job was well done and quick from what I recall.

jfoul

We drove about 13 hours on Saturday, and are currently on the Wisconsin / Minnesota border. Hoping to be in Portland by late Monday!

jfoul

Did jfoul ever make it to Portland? We may never know.

We survived the drive from Missoula to Portland, and have been here since the 14th. We really like the new apartment, and location. It's close to an on ramp, and half a mile from the Sunset TC. I'm also really impressed with how the Tualitan Park trails are weaved into the neighborhood. It's really nice being able to jog in the morning by just getting on a trail at the back of the apartment.

Edit: My dad helped us drive across the country. I probably couldn't have done it without his help, and it was cool spending that time with him. We stopped in Missoula, MT to visit my dad's brother that he hasn't seen in 30 years.

Top Bottom