• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portlandia |OT| Put a Bird On It! - Thursdays on IFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yep, this is the most recent thread, I think.

I liked the Story of Tony and Candice, even though I felt like it focused on Candice too much.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tony and Candice are my two favorite characters on the show but I didn't feel like that origin worked very well for them. It was occasionally amusing but I felt that most of it fell flat.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Episode two was pretty bad. I really believe the great strength of the show lies in the multi-sketch format established in the early seasons. These single narrative episodes, even when they feature Armisen and Brownstein in multiple roles, have almost always fallen flat. I'm generally okay with these sorts of episodes when they only occasionally come along, but this week makes for two in a row. I'm hoping this doesn't become the standard mode for season five.

obin_gam

Oh no, they're doing the same mistake League of Gentlemen did in their third season. Trying to make absurd characters deep by giving them entire episodes.
I'm worried this will crash and burn :/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"How would you like your funeral?"

"I would like my body dragged out to a dimly lit field by jackals and left there to rot."

lmao

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty mediocre this week, although I did like the post office scene as well as Dave and Kath's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

Wow why is this thread not more active??

Season 5 came out on Netflix just a few days ago! I've watched the whole season and it's pretty hilarious, way more so than last season

Akahige

Yeah I enjoy this show a lot, I need to check out Season 5, I for some reason stopped watching regularly after Season 3 but I've rewatched the series and Season 4 on Netflix not that long ago, I had forgotten how much I liked the show.

Kinda off topic but Fred's other show on IFC "Documentary Now" with Bill Hader has exceeded my expectations. It's head scratching odd, constantly funny and has great production values like Portlandia. It's a fantastic tribute to documentary films and filmmakers.

UberLevi

My girlfriend introduced me to this show a while back but I only recently got into it. On Season 4 currently and I love it. Slowed my pace because Season 5 wasn't on Netflix before, but now I have a reason to barrel through S4.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 6 premieres tonight!

Pickathon

The Flaming Lips headline Portland's Pickathon Music Festival. Brendan and Michelle attend the festival via drone. Two concertgoers go boy-crazy.

Fitts

I've heard about this show and decided to give it a shot with lunch today. I'm about 10 minutes in and want to punch these people in the face. Holy shit did the whole organic chicken bit get to me.

Thank Christ Buscemi just walked on screen.

I don't want to jinx RatskyWatsky posting the season premiere and finale in consecutive posts
portlandia_neogaf_by_digi_matrix-dathjph.png

, but I hope this show gets more activity here lol

I wish we non-USA people could watch this show legally.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season premiere tonight!

The Storytellers

Season 7 kicks off with Carrie and Fred meeting with an expert storyteller; a traveler booking an offbeat hotel; Nigel and Amy considering an album release; a pediatrician making a children's toy; the weirdos discovering Bed, Bath and Beyond.

big ander

Would've been just an okay episode but Bayer and the hotel staff was good and the final segment of the main plot (with the storytelling show) was a hilarious payoff

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
wtf @ the pit bull turning into a human at the end lol

Also, what a strange Lady Dynamite tie in...

Anyway, this was a super weak season overall and I'm a bit relieved that next season will be its last.

big ander

some recent details on the final season: http://screencrush.com/portlandia-season-8-premiere-cast/
Portlandia will premiere the first of its last ten episodes on Thursday, January 18 at 10:00 P.M. [Guest stars] for the season include
30 Rock alum Scott Adsit, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend creator Rachel Bloom, SNL favorite Aidy Bryant, musician Brendan Canty, John Corbett, Terry Crews, Dan Gregor, Cherry Jones, Rashida Jones, Andy Kindler, Oh, Hello stars Nick Kroll and John Mulaney (in character), Krist Novoselic, Henry Rollins, Tracee Ellis Ross, novelist Cheryl Strayed, Tessa Thompson, Wet Hot creator David Wain, Brent Weinbach, Dolly Wells, Shannon Woodward and singer-songwriter Kurt Vile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom