• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible hint at AMD's next-gen APU (codename: Gonzalo) - 8 cores, 3.2GHz clock, Navi 10-based GPU

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No xbox one rarely has more than 4x AF as well. again not talking indie games. Look at halo 5 it uses trilinear or bilinear filtering.
^ can't edit this mess on ps4 browser

I see what you're saying, I'm talking about the times where the comparisons were made with 3rd party games and some indie games with how it was on with the Xbox but not the PS4.

I see what you're saying, I'm talking about the times where the comparisons were made with 3rd party games and some indie games with how it was on with the Xbox but not the PS4.
Yeah, that could be ps4's tools. Perhaps it's a one button implementation on xbox one and takes more fiddling on ps4.

Or perhaps different people in the dev team work on the different versions hence different AF results.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I don't think neither MS or Sony will just announce one console. It makes no sense not to give people choice on that matter especially when it is preatty clear that they will be asking for minimum 600$ console

I hope so as I am not keen to go the $400 launch +$500 mid gen again. give me a $800 planet killer option alongside the base instead or I’ll end up just waiting till mid gen (or maybe never depending in what the competition brings).

McHuj

Gddr6 on 384 bit is a likely possibility actually. for one the x1x already is 384 bit and 7th gen was 128 bit, ps4 is 256... 384 would follow that progression. And when you say impossible - gddr6 on 384 is what current nvidia chips have.

But they’re not on a 7nm process. The key here is chip size and cost. I think we’re still very early for a large console chip to have a bus that wide on a brand new process.

High-end GPUs can afford that because they can be sold for lots of money and cut down chips can be salvaged for lower tier parts. Consoles don’t have that luxury.

Shin

Banned
I hope so as I am not keen to go the $400 launch +$500 mid gen again. give me a $800 planet killer option alongside the base instead or I’ll end up just waiting till mid gen (or maybe never depending in what the competition brings).
Could be a 3 tier strategy also, low (PS4), mid (Pro), high (PS5).
In the end, game and price triumphs everything else, they could very well drag PS4 on until the end of time.
Nothing is stopping Sony from doing just that, a new console with BC now in play will be an interesting sale.

joe_zazen

Could be a 3 tier strategy also, low (PS4), mid (Pro), high (PS5).
In the end, game and price triumphs everything else, they could very well drag PS4 on until the end of time.
Nothing is stopping Sony from doing just that, a new console with BC now in play will be an interesting sale.

You also need to factor in portability now that mobile chips are producing ‘good enough’ horsepower to drive 3d games. I used to think Switch and ps/xb were separate markets, now I am not so sure. BotW is a better open world game than anything the other companies have offered this gen. The biggest shooter in the world is on Switch (and phones!). Diminishing returns might mean the end of home consoles.

The mass audience doesn’t care about quality beyond a certain point, as McDonalds, Beats, and Toyota have proven.

So, going forward, in a world with crossplay, and giant worldwide games on every device, portability cannot be discounted.

But they’re not on a 7nm process. The key here is chip size and cost. I think we’re still very early for a large console chip to have a bus that wide on a brand new process.

High-end GPUs can afford that because they can be sold for lots of money and cut down chips can be salvaged for lower tier parts. Consoles don’t have that luxury.

We'll see. X1X already is 384 bit. Gddr6 is currently 10nm, they could use that and have enough room on the board so there's no technical limit here.

I think most people expect a minimum launch price of 500 dollars.

LordOfChaos

Because those consoles never get much sucess in China. I beleive even Digital Foundry have one. Richard made a video about. This really give us an idea of what could be next gen, at least in CPU configuration.

edit: See the video in 1:12

I'm not sure how that proves this chip isn't for someone other than Sony or MS though, since the Subor uses a semicustom chip. Evidently AMD is now happy to cater to even niche players.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
AF needs bandwidth. The ps4 had as much bandwidth as the 7850 but the latter doesn't have to share that with the cpu. And graphics cards rarely have an abundance of bandwidth. Even the gtx 1080 is bandwidth limited.

I'm not talking about when some indie or remaster lacks AF but even sony's AAA games have 4x AF at best. I'm 100% sure ps4 needed more bandwidth. iT's not as big a bottleneck as the original xbox or n64's memory for example but still. i mIss sony's insane ps2 bandwidth solution.
That is false.

If bandwidth was an issue XB1 did had bad AF too.

The fact was that the PS4 SDK has bad AF implementation so devs needed to take more time to use it.

Any dev that toke a bit of time to learn how to use AF in PS4 either fixed it with a patch or their game didn’t have issue at all.

Most games with issues in AF were multplatfom using 3rd party Engine with generic AF implementation that didn’t work with PS4 SDK.

That is why newer games didn’t have AF issue anymore... devs get better, 3rd engine get better, PS4 SDK get better...

Last edited:

Fake

I'm not sure how that proves this chip isn't for someone other than Sony or MS though, since the Subor uses a semicustom chip. Evidently AMD is now happy to cater to even niche players.
We just talking about rumors. Subor its just what 'IMO' everyone expected about removing the awfull jaguar for a Ryzen. I remember when PS4 launch AMD and Sony eng saying 'nothing outside is getting the same ps4 custom hardware'. So, because in China most of those consoles don't make such a sucess AMD is open to share 'some' of those custom pieces.
Again, its not about 'proving' something, just add rumor after rumor. Its fun, at least for me. I like seeing specs like those in Subor.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

That is false.

If bandwidth was an issue XB1 did had bad AF too.

The fact was that the PS4 SDK has bad AF implementation so devs needed to take more time to use it.

Any dev that toke a bit of time to learn how to use AF in PS4 either fixed it with a patch or their game didn’t have issue at all.

Most games with issues in AF were multplatfom using 3rd party Engine with generic AF implementation that didn’t work with PS4 SDK.

That is why newer games didn’t have AF issue anymore... devs get better, 3rd engine get better, PS4 SDK get better...

I found this: https://www.gamepur.com/news/18623-...ermanent-fix-discovered-sony-dmc-ps4-pre.html

So there was an issue in the SDK that was eventually fixed by the ICE team.

Last edited:
Hell just recently Valkyria chronicles 4 has 0AF on ps4. It's still an issue. While the remaster of 1 was 60fps and had great AF.

I like MS´s approach how they force max AF on x1x for non native titles, would be great to have forced 16x AF across the board next gen. Except in cases where devs didn't want to use mipmaps at all.

Last edited:

onQ123

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61764/tsmcs-stacked-wafer-tech-enable-easy-dual-gpu/index.html

WoW technology stacks layers vertically instead of horizontally, meaning multi-GPU graphics cards could be stacked similar to HBM2 technology.This means that we can have even faster single graphics cards packing dual-stacked GPUs and one lot
of VRAM, truly pushing the boundaries of what is possible without worrying about multiple graphics cards. TSMC uses 10-micron holes that form a through-silicon via (TSV) connection that connect the two GPUs together. There won't be latency problems between the connected GPUs as the wafter has the ability to let the GPUs communicate quickly, meaning we could see dual-GPU graphics cards based on current GPUs like the Polaris and Pascal GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA, respectively. There is a downfall to using TSMC's new WoW technology in that if the GPUs are bonded together and one of the wafers is bad, both are binned and can't be used. We won't see Vega with dual-GPUs because of it, but high yield GPUs like the GP10x range from NVIDIA and the RX 500 series could go dual-GPUs with refreshes and be monsters. Once we see TSMC move down to the 7nm and 5nm nodes with WoW technology, things are going to get very interesting. The world of GPU technology just got a helluva lot more exciting.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-amd-tsmc-3d-gpu

The TSMC Technology Symposium is going on right now out in Santa Clara, and they’ve unveiled a new technology, called Wafer on Wafer (WoW) which allows them to connect chips together without mounting them laterally on the same interposer, or using the likes of AMD’s Infinity Fabric or Intel’s EMIB designs to allow them to communicate.

The new wafer-stacking tech means chips can be piled on top of each other, much like the way NAND flash memory is being stacked in the latest solid state drives. The individual wafers are directly connected using through-silicon vias (TSVs) and will not only allow many more cores to be contained in a single package, but also allow them to communicate incredibly quickly too.

There is also the potential that these WoW designs can be jammed onto an interposer with other silicon to create proper monster chips. Or even have more than two wafers stacked on top of each other. Skyscraper GPUs, please!

There are inevitable drawbacks to this sort of manufacturing, and most of that is down to the wafer yields TSMC are getting from different technologies. With two wafers stacked on top of each other, if one of the chips comes out broken the connected chip is therefore useless, which would make wafer-stacking too costly on low-yield products.

That means it’s more likely to be used on established production nodes with high manufacturing yields. That would cut down the wastage and still produce chips with far more power than their forebears. Again, this is how it works in SSD land too.

Intel_stacked_CPU_design.jpg

ntel have also filed patents for stacked CPU technologies to allow them to combine older manufacturing processes with newer ones to create more advanced chips.

Given the high yield of something like TSMC’s mature 16nm lithography it might not be beyond the realm of possibility for an old Pascal era chip to be 3D stacked, instantly doubling the core-count of the newborn GPU. Tasty. That would give multi-chip graphics cards a real boost, especially as they wouldn’t actually need to appear as multi-GPU to the system.

Okay, right now that’s a little far-fetched, and TSMC aren’t going to divulge any further details about the new WoW tech until they’re good and ready. But it does mean that TSMC, the biggest contract chip manufacturers in the world, will be able to offer their partners the capability to extend the lifetimes of their architectures on high-yield production nodes and deliver powerful silicon without struggling to stuff more cores into the same 2D space.

And that could be very exciting for future GPU refreshes. At the moment they’re little more than rebadges – think RX 480 to RX 580 – but if AMD had the option to stack two Polaris 10 chips on top of each other that would have been a genuinely exciting refresh.

Dontero

Banned
Xbox One , Xbox One S & PS4 all used 16 RAM chips

290X and those consoles are more or less from same time period. 290X released 1 month before PS4.
One of reasons why PS4 had issues was that CPU shared bandwidth with GPU.

Both console makers will want the fastest bandwidth they can get.
So HBM2 is clear choice here.

Interesting note here is that new consoles also should be a bit smaller if they choose HBM2.

Last edited:

llien

Both console makers will want the fastest bandwidth they can get.
So HBM2 is clear choice here.
"Leaks" mention Navi 10 card, smaller than Polaris, using GDDR6 and performing at 2070-ish levels.
It's release has also been postponed from April-May, to late Summer this year.

We can basically rule out next gen Navi based consoles at this point.

Last edited:

llien

I think we’re still very early for a large console chip to have a bus that wide on a brand new process.
I'm not sure how "IO die" is supposed to function, but chip demoed by AMD at CES has "IO die" (14nm) that is 2 times the CPU chip (8 core, 7nm). Lisa Su mentioned that "more cores" can be slapped on (quite obviously one could get to 16 cores and end with power consumption at around today's I9, given what we have seen).

I would be very surprised if APUs do not follow that rand and have GPU and CPU as combined chip, instead of "chiplet" approach.

iu

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"Leaks" mention Navi 10 card, smaller than Polaris, using GDDR6 and performing at 2070-ish levels.
It's release has also been postponed from April-May, to late Summer this year.

We can basically rule out next gen Navi based consoles at this point.

From the rumore there were around Raja’s departure and even after (that Sony was strongly collaborating on Navi with AMD) and from the semi-custom work we have seen AMD do for MS and particularly Sony from the HW point of view, I am not sure why you would say that... unless you see those consoles taking features from a generation post Navi.

Their gaming desktop cards pipeline is important, but the two console contracts have lots of solid money in place and timelines that now are pretty solid (and were laid out several years ago). Even if AMD took MS and Sony’s help to push the R&D of features for Navi and future architectures and does additional work on top for each manufacturer to do specific customisations for each console, you can basically put 100+ Million chips in the bank between the two without counting on mod generation node shrinks and/or stop gap Pro upgrades. That is quite guaranteed compared to the historic volatility of their desktop market which I do hope picks up (and possibly these console deals help them to do so).

... I don't mind! I'm in the hype train already and nothing can stop this baby xu xuuu

I was giving him the benefit of doubt after my skepticism about his previous PS4K info but alas he bailed. Other stuff has been said elsewhere recently to solidify he might have been playing us all to a large extent.

onQ123

Osiris information is to close to the new information that we just got for it to be a flat out lie , things change all the time or just get lost in translation but for people to say he is lying when his info match up this close to what might actually be the real specs is crazy.

Osiris information is to close to the new information that we just got for it to be a flat out lie , things change all the time or just get lost in translation but for people to say he is lying when his info match up this close to what might actually be the real specs is crazy.

Well 18GB of GDDR56? and Navi at 2.1GHz say otherwise to me but feel free to believe it. Here are my PS5 spec guesses from July 2017 (I am nobody/don't claim to know stuff!) and feel these will be close to what we get.

+-10TF APU with custom Vega/Navi GPU and 4/8 Ryzen mobile-based Zen cores
16GB RAM (GDDR5x, GDDR6, or even HBM2)
Everything else is just standard parts as seen in PS4/Pro updated/iterated for PS5.

Shin

Banned
Navi at 2.1GHz say otherwise to me
I believe that's HDMI 2.1, you read it wrong.
Also discrediting someone without providing any proof yourself that they are wrong is...yeah.
He was the first one to have mentioned that news will come out about E3/PSX or whatever and it did.

onQ123

Well 18GB of GDDR56? and Navi at 2.1GHz say otherwise to me but feel free to believe it. Here are my PS5 spec guesses from July 2017 (I am nobody/don't claim to know stuff!) and feel these will be close to what we get.

When he sent the info to the mod it had the CPU 8 Cores , clocked at 3.2Ghz & the GPU clocked at 1.121 Ghz this match up with the leak

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/possible-ps5-leak-info.1467805/page-7#post-253564893

this is not guess work

As of right now the specifications are pretty much finalized some of the parts are a bit pricey at the moment so it wont be released for a while. Looking at another year to year and a half before its released but it should be announced very soon. Development kits are circulating Bend, Santa Monica, ND and Sucker Punch and Guerrilla are all hands on. The machine is 100% backwards compatible and very powerful. I have a better format but just to get it out there to you AMD Ryzen cpu custom configuration 3.20 ghz, 7nm Navi gpu 1.121 ghz 18GB RAM @880GB/s

SonGoku

a doubling of the GPU so a 72 CU GPU at 1.121 would be 10.33 TFLOPS
sounds like a pos spec DOA
this is not guess work
That's an unproven shitty rumor
gddr5 btw... yeah no
Gddr6 on 384 bit is a likely possibility actually. for one the x1x already is 384 bit and 7th gen was 128 bit, ps4 is 256... 384 would follow that progression. And when you say impossible - gddr6 on 384 is what current nvidia chips have.
it would also allow for 24GB GDDR6

Last edited:

@ Shin and onQ

I'm not going to argue with you. I don't believe he knows stuff and you do. I'm fine with that and we'll all find out fairly soon what the truth is.

Osiris isn't banned and can come back to this thread anytime and 'put me in my place' if he so wishes.

rəddəM

I'm liking these specs.
18GB sounds good, specially if it's 14/12GB for games. 4GB should be enough for the OS no? Assuming it's the same as the PS4 (BC reasons)with new design and incremental upgrades for the SHARE capabilities. Perhaps 1080p 60fps with better/less compression streaming and recordings...
70/30% games/OS split of the specs would be fire.

onQ123

@ Shin and onQ

I'm not going to argue with you. I don't believe he knows stuff and you do. I'm fine with that and we'll all find out fairly soon what the truth is.

Osiris isn't banned and can come back to this thread anytime and 'put me in my place' if he so wishes.

I'm not arguing I'm just saying that his info was too close for it to just be him making up stuff . the CPU & GPU clocks are dead on if the new specs are final.

SonGoku SonGoku indeed. 24gb gddr6 384 bit bus would be really good.

Increasingly I think we'll either get ggdr6 384 bit or hbm. And definitely more than 16gb. Maybe 16gb+ good ram + ddr for os.

I mean, by the time this comes out hbm will have been in graphics cards for a good while so it's more than possible for a 500 dollar console.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Lots of memory chips are nice, more bandwidth, more memory for who the hell knows what.
But there's also a psychical limitation as to how many chips they can crop onto a PCB, keep in mind each chip draws 1.35v.
More chips is a higher power draw is more heath, is also less space is also pricier cooling solution, etc etc.
Look at Hynix, Micron/Elpida or Samsung and look at their product setup (Organization) for GDDR6 or even GDDR5, max is 512Mb (Samsung).

onQ123

Lots of memory chips are nice, more bandwidth, more memory for who the hell knows what.
But there's also a psychical limitation as to how many chips they can crop onto a PCB, keep in mind each chip draws 1.35v.
More chips is a higher power draw is more heath, is also less space is also pricier cooling solution, etc etc.
Look at Hynix, Micron/Elpida or Samsung and look at their product setup (Organization) for GDDR6 or even GDDR5, max is 512Mb (Samsung).

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/gddr5/K4G80325FB-HC22/

8gb = 1GB

You also need to factor in portability now that mobile chips are producing ‘good enough’ horsepower to drive 3d games. I used to think Switch and ps/xb were separate markets, now I am not so sure. BotW is a better open world game than anything the other companies have offered this gen.

Might want to put that drink down mate.

I'm not arguing I'm just saying that his info was too close for it to just be him making up stuff . the CPU & GPU clocks are dead on if the new specs are final.

Cool, but it is a bit much, IMO, to just declare the info likely real based on one spec (3.2Ghz) being spot on. You even asked him to clarify Navi 2.1 vs 1.121 and didn't get a reply.

Remember also that the latest Gonzalo info is also an interpretation/decode of the info and might be wrong and also not a the PS5 chip.

But this is all too serious....Imagine in 11 days we get a teaser video to "see the future"? That might get people talking and excited!

onQ123

Cool, but it is a bit much, IMO, to just declare the info likely real based on one spec (3.2Ghz) being spot on. You even asked him to clarify Navi 2.1 vs 1.121 and didn't get a reply.

Remember also that the latest Gonzalo info is also an interpretation/decode of the info and might be wrong and also not a the PS5 chip.

But this is all too serious....Imagine in 11 days we get a teaser video to "see the future"? That might get people talking and excited!

Yes I remember & I believe the 2.1 was a typo that he was posting off of memory or something because he sent the mod the 1.121Ghz specs in October before he even made that post.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You think a 8 core 3.2Ghz CPU & 10.3 TFLOPS GPU in a closed box is DOA? lol

Yeah, lol.

Considering what gorgeous games we are currently getting out of a 1.84TF baseline PS4, I can only imagine more than 5 times that as a baseline with huge memory bandwidth and a massive CPU upgrade over the netbook one.

Yeah, lol.

Considering what gorgeous games we are currently getting out of a 1.84TF baseline PS4, I can only imagine more than 5 times that as a baseline with huge memory bandwidth and a massive CPU upgrade over the netbook one.
One cool thing to consider with a massive bandwidth but not so extreme gpu is we could have insanely good particles, shadows and texture filtering. Ps2 was the weakest overall but with the highest bandwidth it did some cool stuff.

Top Bottom