• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Megaton Incoming. New Rumor surround Microsoft series S

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
New rumors from some insiders and reported by some reliable youtubers I do not wish to advertise here about the Price of Series S.

Rumors suggesting the base model could sell for a super aggressive price at $399 and the Lockhart model for a crazy $200.

The lockhart is said to have a more powerful gpu than the One X but all digital and not on the level of a Series S.

Microsoft has the pockets to do something crazy like this if they choose too. If a person can play the new Halo for $200 with a lower resolution, holy shit that's impossible to beat. Stay tuned!

Here is one of the fellows I am talking about, and respect him.

Last edited:

Tenka Musou

Banned
MS holding the entire generation back with their shitty 4TF machine.

I'm conflicted in wanting Xbox to fail, on one hand theyre gotta be a competitor to light a fire under Sony's ass, on the other hand I hate to see multiplatform devs being forced to design their games around such a weak hardware

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

I'm conflicted in wanting Xbox to fail, on one hand theyre gotta be a competitor to light a fire under Sony's ass, on the other hand I hate to see multiplatform devs being forced to design their games around such a weak hardware

TpwA2Er.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$400/$200 seems unbelievable.

But hey.... MS does make about $30 billion profit per year!

If they subsidize an extra $100 per unit above and beyond a $500/$300 price:

1 million sales = $100 million extra costs
10 million sales = $1 billion extra costs
50 million sales = $5 billion extra costs
100 million sales = $10 billion extra costs

Spread those costs over 6-7 years of a generation, and it's pennies per share annualy.

Moogle11

Banned
They can already play the new Halo on One X.

This. MS has no incentive to sell a less powerful next gen console that cheap. The cheap crowd can pick up an Xbox One S or X. No need for them to lose that kind of money. They're making it clear they just want people in their ecosystem buying games, DLC, Live and Gamepass subscriptions. Why take a likley big loss on next gen consoles given that focus? They aren't going to out sell Sony as too many markets globally just don't give a shit about Xbox.

The only difference between Series S and Series X are the teraflops. It's the same exact architecture, same exact CPU and same exact GPU with just lower TFs. oh and the SSD. The only difference there will be is the resolution honestly but it will be an easily 1080p 60 FPS ONLY machine. Ur not losing anything. You will be paying $100 or $200 dollars less for lack of 8 TFs

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
$400/$200 seems unbelievable.

But hey.... MS does make about $30 billion profit per year!

If they subsidize an extra $100 per unit above and beyond a $500/$300 price:

1 million sales = $100 million extra costs
10 million sales = $1 billion extra costs
50 million sales = $5 billion extra costs
100 million sales = $10 billion extra costs

Spread those costs over 6-7 years of a generation, and it's pennies per share annualy.

GamePass to them is more important than game attach rates were in the previous gen. They can justify a $399 Series X on the back of subscriptions.

Last edited:
This. MS has no incentive to sell a less powerful next gen console that cheap. The cheap crowd can pick up an Xbox One S or X. No need for them to lose that kind of money. They're making it clear they just want people in their ecosystem buying games, DLC, Live and Gamepass subscriptions. Why take a likley big loss on next gen consoles given that focus? They aren't going to out sell Sony as too many markets globally just don't give a shit about Xbox.

MS is thinking about the future though and getting as many as possible to migrate to the next gen console. And you can't play the big titles like GTA 6, Hellblade2, Playgrounds new Fabe, The Medium etc.. on XB1X.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

lol wtf, people really have the face to say things like "MS has the pockets to do something crazy like this."

Yes, it's crazy and precisely because MS doesn't go around burning money that they have the pockets in the first place. Wake up, that's not how business work for a trillion dollar company or for any successful business.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
While it would be better for me if Xbox Series X was $400, I'll stick with my prediction of Series X at $500 and Series S at $300.

Moogle11

Banned
199 one s
299 one x
399 series s
499 series x

this seems like the most likely scenario to me

That I can agree with. That's a good way to both get your core to move on to next gen, and maximize the amount of people on your platform spending money on games, DLC and subscriptions to Live and Gamepass.

-Arcadia-

Banned
New rumors from some insiders and reported by some reliable youtubers I do not wish to advertise here about the Price of Series S.

Rumors suggesting the base model could sell for a super aggressive price at $399 and the Lockhart model for a crazy $200.

The lockhart is said to have a more powerful gpu than the One X but all digital and not on the level of a Series S.

Microsoft has the pockets to do something crazy like this if they choose too. If a person can play the new Halo for $200 with a lower resolution, holy shit that's impossible to beat. Stay tuned!

You should source. When all we have is the word of some guy, and the rumors are this extraordinary...

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I imagine the One S and X are going to be discontinued very quickly if Series S is that cheap.

It's interesting Microsoft is clearencing Xbox Ones out. Even the latest Cyberpunk One X that was just released was $100 off at $299 for most all retailers.

I personally think this points to some aggressive pricing for the new console(s)

That's not how it works. All games run on a few engines nowadays, and the difference in power is seen in resolution and framerate.

Tenka Musou

Banned
Ram requirements drop as you lower in resolution as 4k vram consumption is concid... you know what, no. Keep going all.
What about games that are pushing high quality assets/fidelity at 1080/1440P instead of 4K on PS5/XBseX? Just dropping the resolution won't be enough.

You all assume next gen games will all run at Native 4k, and devs will just make them 1080P for Lockhart. But some next gen games won't go for that

leo-j

Series S digital only 1080p stream digital machine for the casuals at $199

Series X hardcore for the core gamers
At $399

while ps5 launches at $499.

I totally expect it NGL. Microsoft is already said to not care to take a big loss per console. They are already making close to nothing on XCLOUD games. But eventually the 10 million subs could turn to 20 million then 30, and the brand all of a sudden becomes the biggest game brand for casuals w streaming.

oldergamer

It's interesting Microsoft is clearencing Xbox Ones out. Even the latest Cyberpunk One X that was just released was $100 off at $299 for most all retailers.

I personally think this points to some aggressive pricing for the new console(s)
That's not recent, they have been doing this since late last year.

TLZ

Banned
I'm confused.

I thought the lockhart is the Series S?

And what do you mean by base model Series X? How many Series X's are there? Are you telling me they're flooding the market with many models and confusing people?

Top Bottom