• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Sonic reboot in 2014, would be open world

Teknoman

Why do we need a reboot?! Just bring Sonic Unleashed 2, the foundation for what I want is already laid out there Sega.

I cant see how you finally climb out of the hole with Colors and Generations, then want to reboot AGAIN. Just keep building on a successful base.

Unless its fake like that Sonic Dimensions game.

Hatten

This "rumor" is eerily similar to some a friend of mine at ASG says some user was spamming the site with.

Sega making a console with a i7 and Kepler graphics IIRC...

Assuming this rumor is true, Sega (or whatever it's called now) wont be able to do it without a crippling amount of bugs ruining the experience.

What people don't understand is that we wouldn't have Colors or Generations if it weren't for the Unleashed reboot, because that's exactly what it was, a reboot. It completely changed the style and gameplay from scratch. It was a shaky start sure, but it's payed off well. It shows that ST is capable of both pioneering a new style for a franchise and ironing out it's flaws. Another reboot like this might yeild positive results. I certainly don't want every future 3D Sonic to remain as Unleashed variants.

RobbieNick

This rumor is coming from the site that told us about "Sonic Dimensions" which Sega flat out denied.

AKA don't believe TSSZ's bullshit.

Why do we need a reboot?! Just bring Sonic Unleashed 2, and a classic sonic focused gane for the oldies. the foundation for what I want is already laid out there Sega.

Fixed and This.

But if this is true I'm done. I'm sick of sonic fans bellyaching as it is.

Imagine classic fans, adventure fans AND modern fans bitching about "the good old days"

Enough would be enough. Even if the game turned out to be good ( which It won't till at least the second or third entry if history teaches us anything) I'd still wash my hands of the franchise.

I can't wait to play some opened levels with the horrible camera from the Sonic games. What a great idea! Now if they add some shitty friends and tons of over priced DLCs and we'll get a GOTY contender.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
and new characters for him to befriend may be concocted
Jesus fuck.

Sonic needs to be outsourced, or laid to rest. I just want Sonic to be a relic of the past at this point.

EDIT: Okay if people are saying that the source is unreliable I'm willing to believe them, even though this is easily expectable from Sega in these desperate times.

TheOGB

Banned
Fixed and This.

But if this is true I'm done. I'm sick of sonic fans bellyaching as it is.

Imagine classic fans, adventure fans AND modern fans bitching about "the good old days"

Enough would be enough. Even if the game turned out to be good ( which It won't till at least the second or third entry if history teaches us anything) I'd still wash my hands of the franchise.
Oh good lord

Hoping for false rumor more than ever

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's really not worth caring about anymore. Classic Sonics are the only great sonic games. Everything else is either just about "pretty good" (Colors, generations, Adventure)...or flat out terrible.

So, I just don't give a fuck anymore. Whatever.

Zekes!

Nintendo should develop a mature Mario game where you have to put Sonic out of his misery with a single gunshot wound to the head

M-PG71C

I really enjoyed Colors and Generations, if this is true, than fuck. :/ But I have my doubts honestly.

Nintendo should develop a mature Mario game where you have to put Sonic out of his misery with a single gunshot wound to the head

This would be the only time a mature Mario game would ever be acceptable.

This sounds like the exact same things they said during the initial demonstrations of what turned out to be Sonic 2006, mixed with "Skylanders because that did well."

On one hand, that makes it sound incredibly fake to me.

On the other hand, with Iizuka in charge, maybe that really is him going "I can do it right this time!" I would not put it past him.

This would be absolutely terrible if true, but keep in mind that the site that posted this is notorious for sensationalism, and this wouldn't be the first false rumor they've been given.

You say this a lot, to the point where it's almost like you're intentionally being negative. We've been right with rumors more than we've been wrong, by my count, and as I say every time you write basically this exact same paragraph, TSSZ always owns up when they're wrong.

Which I think is part of the problem, really. We've been right enough that people are starting to treat our word as gospel and between this and the Sonic Dimensions rumor I'm starting to feel like we're getting information so dramatically in advance that even if the information is true, we're talking more about concepts that haven't even been totally greenlit yet, not actual products we can look forward to in the future.

I realize that sounds massively egotistical and stupid, but having spoken with Tristan about his source, at the very least, where it's coming from seems legitimate enough to me. Obviously I'm not at liberty to say anything more than that. The real problem is whether or not any of it actually gets to a point where it becomes a product for people to buy and play.

The Skylanders idea sounds terrible (though it'd be seemingly regulated to side characters I couldn't care less about so that could wind up being be a mute point) and the open-world design reminds me eerily of Adventure/06/Unleashed's bland hub worlds, but the rest honestly doesn't sound that weird to me. Emphasizing even moreso on Sonic versus Eggman and bizarre fantastical worlds sounds right up my alley, and after Generations and Colors ST should get at least a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. It does sound a bit too drastic of a change though, especially since overall people at least sort of *like* the games now.

Though what happened to the Dimensions rumors? Didn't it mentioning Wiimotes with tablet screen addons before the patent for them got leaked suggest it was at least somewhat legit?

If they take in the direction highlighted in the second and third paragraphs then we've got another Sonic 2006 on our hands, which would be hilarious. Hopefully they take it in the Skylanders direction instead, a good game combined with Sonic figurines would spell disaster for my bank balance.

eXistor

Sonic and open-world do not mix. They'd have to change the core design of the games to make this work. Sonic controls like absolute ass in 3D (see every goddamn 3d Sonic, Generations included). I see no reason to believe toady's Sonic Team has the skills to make this happen. I don't find this notion appealing in the least and I love open-world games.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sounds like bollocks to me. I don't think Sega would be dumb enough to redo the good they've currently acquired in the recent titles. Plus an open world title sounds too expensive for them to invest in considering their financial situation - would be much safer and more profitable to do another Colors-like game, and it has the added bonus of actually being good too!

Christ, that's the last thing Sonic needs at this point.

Unless they combine the guns and cars from Shadow the Hedgehog with an open world game... such a daring venture couldn't go unrewarded in sales!

IrishNinja

I'm all for them trying to monetize sonic, really. open world could be fun*, and if they bank on the physical collectibles, good for them.

i'm just hoping the sales from Colors/Generations reminds them to continue those franchises, or games in that vein, even if it's digital. Honestly, Sonic 4 ep 3 or whatever, if its as good as Colors was, no one's really gonna give a shit that 1 was so awful.
point is, if they're making such a priority with the franchise, i think they're aware they can try new stuff in other universes or whatever and still release stuff that's been working in recent years. i mean, that shit bioware game didn't take from my enjoyment of the aforementioned titles.

*i have a bigger problem with Unleashed making me do fetch-quests for shit to unlock the next level then the concept of open world. if said concept makes me do that shit, no, forget that shit.

Unless they combine the guns and cars from Shadow the Hedgehog with an open world game... such a daring venture couldn't go unrewarded in sales!

Shadow on-rails FPS incoming (F2P)

IrishNinja

they could always have a New Coke thing going on - if and when it's shit, HEY GUYS HERE'S GENERATIONS 2, GUESS WHO'S BACK

Top Bottom