• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post a pic of you at work

OverHeat

« generous god »
v7hilbk.jpg
kGH0uVg.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
An old one, but one of my last tree take downs before I retired. I have other photos but I'm not showing my face.

0zlDm26.jpg
My Dad was part of the Kellogg's foundation and all these projects in the late 90s/early 2000s to clean up forests. This of course meant he was up on an old tree like you. He didn't get paid as he has his own business but seemed to enjoy it. I worked with him one day and nothing about this is anything but a tough job. Much respect and if I recall...it pays well.

My Dad was part of the Kellogg's foundation and all these projects in the late 90s/early 2000s to clean up forests. This of course meant he was up on an old tree like you. He didn't get paid as he has his own business but seemed to enjoy it. I worked with him one day and nothing about this is anything but a tough job. Much respect and if I recall...it pays well.
Anywhere between £120 - £300 a day depending on the job. All depends on how much experience you've as a tree surgeon, licenses you carry and knowledge of rigging is crucial! The area you're working in reflects the pay as well, for example London areas.

The only thing that would get me out of retirement is working for British rail as a tree surgeon, as you're on call 24/7 and the pay is isnane, but those jobs are hard to come by, because people generally stay in the job until retirement.

I don't miss being fatigued with a top handle saw anywhere between 30ft and 100ft in a tree. I never went cheap on P.P.E and for that reason I still have my left leg.😂

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Anywhere between £120 - £300 a day depending on the job. All depends on how much experience you've as a tree surgeon, licenses you carry and knowledge of rigging is crucial! The area you're working in reflects the pay as well, for example London areas.

The only thing that would get me out of retirement is working for British rail as a tree surgeon, as you're on call 24/7 and the pay is isnane, but those jobs are hard to come by, because people generally stay in the job until retirement.

I don't miss being fatigued with a top handle saw anywhere between 30ft and 100ft in a tree. I never went cheap on P.P.E and for that reason I still have my left leg.😂
About the pay I'd expect but 120 seems a bit low for a pro.

Wouldn't be nice being on call 24/7 unless you have a flexible life schedule. Pay would be incredible though. I understand retiring too. I did this for 2-days to help my Dad when I was like 14...had blisters on top of my blisters.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I younger, here I am going to university, doing a business degree and getting nailed with student loans at an interest rate of like prime + 3%. Then they put you on their default 10 year payback program. I dont even remember what interest I paid but in the 90s I was probably paying 8%(?). I had both federal and provincial loans.

And military vets get paid and get some kind of free tuition and financial assistance? Like WTF? Googling CAF (Canadian Armed Forces) they even say you are guaranteed a job in your field.

But when I older and look at the whole picture, it's worth it for vets to get that covered. I'm a cheap fuck and typically skew to people should earn their way, but for vets I have no problem with my taxes covering that stuff. Holistically, if there's one sector I am open to my tax bucks being used is for education. Doesn't matter if it's kids, vets or job training for any avg person who lost their job. I follow my dad's view that education is important for mind and career and if there's something people can be given a break on is academic/career stuff.

That's my view at least.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
When it’s your job you don’t think about it to much but when it’s over (I’m retired) its when it hit you like a brick wall…thx for the kind word
I come from a family where you don't talk about your feelings.
It's impolite and narcissistic.

It took me a lot of effort to coax stories from my uncles who fought in WW2 and I almost regret asking.

What they told me when they were drunk at a family Christmas gathering when I was 14 is forever printed in my mind and not fit to share in here.

Anyway back on topic 😆

About the pay I'd expect but 120 seems a bit low for a pro.

Wouldn't be nice being on call 24/7 unless you have a flexible life schedule. Pay would be incredible though. I understand retiring too. I did this for 2-days to help my Dad when I was like 14...had blisters on top of my blisters.
£120 is starting pay when you've no experience and just left college. I don't have kids so being on call 24/7 wouldn't bother me. I retired at 37 because both my divorced parents passed away and left me individually a large chunk of change, not because of the job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom