• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Hilariously Broken Cards of any TCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intro/starter deck(s) are meant to be an interactive tutorial for two players. They basically do the same thing Origin/Duels's tutorial does, but needs two players (or you to play both sides and see how it's done) and only have 40 cards. Unless I'm reading you wrong and you're thinking theme decks which are a step above that.

No, intro decks are just single decks that have 60 cards. Here's a list of the ones for Magic 2015.

Anyway, intro decks are fine beginner products. You get a deck with a theme you like, and you can adjust it with your own collection of cards. They are usually weak (but fine for casual play) but provide a good framework for deckbuilding.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
That card is pretty decent. Although I've seen A Lot more complaints about Dr. Boom than anything else.

Emperor Thaurissan fits the description of being hilariously broken way better than Dr. Boom. If Thaurissan gets to hang out on the field for a couple of turns he can make the game descend into a one-turn orgy of abject psychosis that even Hearthstone's own time-keeping mechanism doesn't know how to deal with.

Dr. Boom's just absurdly mana-efficient. He does a shitload of work for his cost, but he can't make a fundamental gameplay mechanic like the turn time limit wig out, throw up its hands, and just sit and watch the 50+ damage one-turn kill carnage like Thaurissan can.

Is that from a recent expansion? I played that game from the egyptian to one before the last set of that era.

Well if you're talking about "dominios de ra", that was less than half of the 2nd Era of the game, this was from exodus, a limited edition, one of the last editions before the reboot last year.

Maledict

So what causes this? Is it just a lack of play testing? Or is it a problem in the development process?

I really got into deciphers TCG's, specifically the lord of the rings and it was full of problem cards which was a huge turnoff and led me to just collect them and not play.

I noticed the lack of Pokemon cards in here as well lol

I playtested LoTR heavily for Decipher. In terms of problem cards, the biggest issue the game suffered from early on was choke and 'best of everything decks'. In terms of how they got made despite play testing:

I) choke, which was a huge problem in the first three sets, was the passion of one designer who was convinced it was necessery in the same way magic had counterspells. And, like counterspells decks, it was horrendously unfun to play against. Unfortunately that designer was best buddies with the high ups in the company, so it wasn't until Two Towers block that the decision was finally taken to kill choke, stop printing cards for it and print hosers for the original set cards.

Ii) 'best of everything' decks were a natural consequence of the game having a resource system that didn't care about faction or colour. Whilst the designers tried to hold them back by making you play other cards of that race to make them work, it wasn't enough and after choke was killed the best decks were just a collection of the best heroes and items in the game. That led to all the versions of Grima Wormtongue in Two Towers block, who was cripplingly powerful against a deck using tons of equipment or heores from multiple races / factions.

After the first few sets the game got a lot more balanced as the designers learnt what worked and what didn't - although you still saw some wacky cards early on in a sets testing. Ents had aversion of Merry in it that was capable of reaching a strength of over 50 in a turn (for comparison, the Balrog was the highest strength monster in the game at 16, which meant that Merry would instantly overwhelm and completely obliterate the Balrog in combat without suffering any damage).

Good times!

4.jpg

snip

67.jpg

Things would get silly

anCqKRy.gif

That card is pretty decent. Although I've seen A Lot more complaints about Dr. Boom than anything else.

DR_BOOM.jpg

tumblr_leixx67YWM1qcmnsoo1_r4_400.gif

One more before I go to sleep.

These were printed as a collector card, illegal for use in any game, but their effects are still pretty crazy

300px-LegendaryDragonofWhite-WSUP-EN-PScR-1E-RP.png
300px-LegendaryMagicianofDark-WSUP-EN-PScR-1E-RP.png

A match are 3 duels. In tournaments best of 3 wins the match and advances.

wtfclips.0_standard_709.0.gif

Ozigizo

Because of this thread and MTG documentary, I decided to buy 2 MTC Core Set Deck Builder's Toolkits.

Did I make a huge mistake?

I know utterly nothing about MTG except Beta Black Lotus = $$$$.

I might have recommended you get an intro or a clash pack.

gurudyne

These were printed as a collector card, illegal for use in any game, but their effects are still pretty crazy.

A match are 3 duels. In tournaments best of 3 wins the match and advances.

I wouldn't say crazy. I mean, attacking directly for 2500 to win a game is nothing to sneeze at. It just has no other effect beyond that. No protection, no active effect or passive abilities. Just a beatstick that has a chance to win you all three in a best of three series.

I'm curious why they keep printing these cards? There's an "Attack opponent directly and reduce their LP to 0 to win the Match--this card is illegal to use" card for every subtype out there and they keep making more.

Fj0823

I wouldn't say crazy. I mean, attacking directly for 2500 to win a game is nothing to sneeze at. It just has no other effect beyond that. No protection, no active effect or passive abilities. Just a beatstick that has a chance to win you all three in a best of three series.

I'm curious why they keep printing these cards? There's an "Attack opponent directly and reduce their LP to 0 to win the Match--this card is illegal to use" card for every subtype out there and they keep making more.

They are unique cards given to the winners of big tournaments.

The ones I posted are the first to be made available to everyone (The Dark Magician/Blue-Eyes tribute was really popular), hence the REPLICA marking. To tell it apart from the very rare and expensive original

Kieli

The intro/starter deck(s) are meant to be an interactive tutorial for two players. They basically do the same thing Origin/Duels's tutorial does, but needs two players (or you to play both sides and see how it's done) and only have 40 cards. Unless I'm reading you wrong and you're thinking theme decks which are a step above that.

The ones at the store have 60 cards + 2 booster packs (so 90 in total).

gurudyne

The ones I posted are the first to be made available to everyone (The Dark Magician/Blue-Eyes tribute was really popular), hence the REPLICA marking. To tell it apart from the very rare and expensive original

Ah, that makes sense. I thought those sorts of cards were the kinds packed into magazines or sold alongside video games, like the old versions of the god cards.

Fj0823

This ones hit the field and you're pretty much done. Unless you run a deck that can summon 3500+ ATK monsters easily
Like I do

300px-ApoqliphortTowers-NECH-EN-R-1E.png
300px-ApoqliphortSkybase-SECE-EN-UR-1E.png

Funny thing is, Qliphorts deck rarely use them as they can get stuck in the hand.

Water

(Unstable Portal)
This card can instantly win you the game from a pure diceroll, which is stupid. There is NOTHING more frustrating then losing to a lucky Unstable Portal which gave the opponent the exact card they needed to win.
The funniest start I've ever gotten in a Hearthstone game was Coin - Unstable Portal - Edwin VanCleef entering the play as a 6/6 on turn 1. Opponent didn't have a cheap silence or cheap removal handy so I think they threw in the towel around turn 3.

Dryk

The wiki says that before they were banned people started just forfeiting the match before it killed them to get around it XD

The Yata-Garasu lockdown with Chaos Emperor Dragon was fucking incredible. It was the highlight of my last few years playing Yugioh in the mid 00's. I still own and treasure those two cards.

KingBroly

Banned
The Yata-Garasu lockdown with Chaos Emperor Dragon was fucking incredible. It was the highlight of my last few years playing Yugioh in the mid 00's. I still own and treasure those two cards.

I pulled Yata Garasu out of my first pack of Legacy of Darkness. I sold that card for $80 I think. What a broken card.

Neoweee

Image.ashx

From unglued, still fun and broken though

Reprinted in a legal format with a rules fix, but making it a trigger also makes it quite a bit worse:

Image.ashx

Still a novelty card.

There's a lot of cards with alternate win conditions because there's a subsection of the community that enjoys them, but almost all of them are not good.

Fj0823

The wiki says that before they were banned people started just forfeiting the match before it killed them to get around it XD

That was for "Victory Dragon" the only match winner card to be legal at some point.
300px-VictoryDragonRP02-EN-ScR-UE.jpg

Since they, every match winner has the "Can't be used" at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom