• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post the most convincing CGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
district-9-ship-o.gif

district_9_vfx_oscar.gif

jz8GeeR.gif

i dont know people go nuts over avatar, that shit is disney tier but DISTRICT 9 by far is probably the most convincing use of cgi in a movie ive ever seen

so when i see new stuff from godzilla its kinda disappointing that the work in that isn't even on par with D9

what about you

commedieu

Banned
I agree. D9 looked most realistic in the environment. Avatar's jungles are photo real, and...

Kraken_attacks_18_Davy_Jones.png

Considering his costume was cgi as well.. sheeshhoeshesh...

Yeah, District 9 is up there.

I'd also mention the Forest Battle with Optimus in Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. The movie's complete shit, but that battle in particular looked pretty much photo-realistic for all intents and purposes.

The Dark Knight, when that police helicopter crashed into the side of the building and then imploded on the street. I haven't seen it recently, but remember thinking it looked incredibly convincing in the theater.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Any CG looks good in low framerate, small resolution gifs. (D9 still looks pretty good.)

Anything trying to look human looks bad, because we are reminded every day what it's supposed to look like.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Zodiac, I guess? Nobody knew it was CGI.

Timeaisis

I agree. D9 looked most realistic in the environment. Avatar's jungles are photo real, and...

Kraken_attacks_18_Davy_Jones.png

Considering his costume was cgi as well.. sheeshhoeshesh...

Yup. His face looks so realistic even though I know it's a bunch of dots on Bill Nighy's face.

EDIT: Wait, what part of Zodiac was CGI?

Loxley

Say what you want about Elysium, but it's implementation of CGI was fantastic. Blomkamp is one of the best in the business as far as that's concerned.

Timeaisis

Holy crap at Zodiac. I never realized that. Considering I didn't even know it was CG, then yeah, that's the most convincing.

Also, I second Jurassic Park. It holds up really well, even today.

commedieu

Banned
bravo @ zodiac.. lol.. no idea..

had no idea. But Set Extensions aren't usually the show stoppers. The vfx u don't even know are there.

do we need to mention life of pi..?

Ithil

The part in Avatar where Jake falls into a lake blew me away. Some parts of that movie look spotty, particularly night scenes, but that part with him swept around by rushing water was astonishing, given that 100% of everything on screen was CG.

Senoculum

I wouldn't Zodiac up there because it's mostly composting. Many televisions shows have convincing compositing as well. "Set extensions", as they're called, are very common, and this thread would be filled with nothing but landscape shots.

I'd put more merit in the convincing use of a character model, or something more complex - like the sea-faring ships in Master and Commander.

Or Gollum at 48 frames per second in the first Hobbit (God, that looked real).

I'm not sure I'd agree about Zodiac, having lived in San Francisco my whole life.

At a glance, yeah it looks right. But I could detect that it felt a little sterile, a little too clean. Even back in the 70s... San Francisco did not look that clean.

You watch a movie like Dirty Harry, and you know that that movie was filmed in San Francisco.

Zodiac is impressive because of how much coverage they had to do, but I don't think it's that convincing if you actually live in the city.

lemmykoopa

The first Transformer movie directed by Michael Bay still stands as one of the most impressive CGI-heavy I've seen. Especially combination of cgi blending in with real stuff ; for example when Bumblebee smashes through the bus during the highway scene, incredible.

Also the first murder in Zodiac: all the blood is cgi. Fincher is known for redoing takes a lot and having real blood in the scene would be too time consuming.

commedieu

Banned
The really mindblowing bit is that the car is also CGI.

hmm not sure if it is in that sequence, but it is when she is interacting with it. Which already blew my mind. not sure if i can afford to have it blown again..

really????

EBE

do the tigers in Gladiator count? theyre blue screened into the shot but i think its pretty seamless.

most of Avatar, pretty much. the performance capture is still top notch.

i also thought the final train sequence in The Lone Ranger looked amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom