• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers Origins movie teaser leaked -- Summer (2015?), animated, new zord, omg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_ag

These leaked suits?
3hd3NW8.jpg

YHYqQA7.jpg
u1cfjwI.jpg

They don't look alike at all, but both are great on their own terms. I'd enjoy the cartoony looks on a TV series more than in a movie, though.

I'm a little confused by what they're trying to pull. It would make sense to release the "gritty" movie adults would enjoy and then release a CG series as a tie-in for kids, presuming upon the status the brand may attain (like Marvel, kinda). But two movies for two different audiences only a year apart?

My first instinct is fake. If they had wanted recognition (and were planning on getting the original actors to VA) they would have done the new look joke with Amy Jo Johnson, NOT the only voice actor that they would have had to change...

That being said, original actors or bust.. No way I take my child to see it otherwise...

jwk94

These leaked suits?

They don't look alike at all, but both are great on their own terms. I'd enjoy the cartoony looks on a TV series more than in a movie, though.

I'm a little confused by what they're trying to pull. It would make sense to release the "gritty" movie adults would enjoy and then release a CG series as a tie-in for kids, presuming upon the status the brand may attain (like Marvel, kinda). But two movies for two different audiences only a year apart?

Nah something else. I can't find the image right now.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My first instinct is fake. If they had wanted recognition (and were planning on getting the original actors to VA) they would have done the new look joke with Amy Jo Johnson, NOT the only voice actor that they would have had to change...

That being said, original actors or bust.. No way I take my child to see it otherwise...

youre not gonna get all the originals, thats for sure

These leaked suits?

Is this fanart? Because it looks awful. Not to mention the Dragonzord is no longer a mechanical dragon, but a mechanical guy with a dragon shaped head...

duckroll

It seems too elaborate to be a "fake", but it also doesn't make sense to be a "leaked trailer" for something coming out this Summer when there's nothing known about it at all.

A concept trailer made for a rejected pitch seems more likely?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I bet Parallax's soul that it is either a proof of concept thing or some fan created mess.

I don't think it's fanmade, personally. The narrator is an actual voiceover dude for movie trailers.

Honestly? I think this IS the movie. The live-action one has been in obvious developmental hell for a while now (zero casting news, Orci leaving the project, no director attached, etc.), and they probably feel like they have to deliver something after that big announcement.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I don't think it's fanmade, personally. The narrator is an actual voiceover dude for movie trailers.

Honestly? I think this IS the movie. The live-action one has been in obvious developmental hell for a while now (zero casting news, Orci leaving the project, no director attached, etc.), and they probably feel like they have to deliver something after that big announcement.

for some reason, i never thought that this movie would ever make it to screen.

Not if JDF has anything to do with it.

with or without him. but we could do without jdf

Slayven

That is the Saban way, deliver something as cheaply as possible.
with or without him. but we could do without jdf
Yeah he can go to the bushes

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
for some reason, i never thought that this movie would ever make it to screen.

I'm of the same opinion. Power Rangers isn't something that's looked back upon by the nostalgia crowd with as much reverence as G.I. Joe or Transformers. I mean, I'm a fan, but I also recognize that I'm in the vast minority here. I think Lionsgate/Saban overestimated the demand for a Power Rangers reboot and realized that somewhere between the initial announcement and now.

And that's just one thing on my list of "reasons this movie will never actually happen". I could go on.

Got a feeling this is real, but it's probably just a DTV movie and not THE movie.

DTV when the trailer says "in theaters this summer"?

iirate

That trailer took itself way too seriously. I want my fun, pop-y(that's now a word, sure) Power Rangers. The tone of the original is not what made it a bad show.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That trailer took itself way too seriously. I want my fun, pop-y(that's now a word, sure) Power Rangers. The tone of the original is not what made it a bad show.

If you think that was too serious, I hope you never run into the "Power Rangers needs to be dark and gritty!" crowd. Your head will explode.

It looks fun. I think I'd rather see that than some gritty live action take, personally.

It's weird though. The animation looks a little too good for a TV series, but not good enough for a movie. My guess would be that if this is for a movie, it's must be unfinished?

ash_ag

Is this fanart? Because it looks awful. Not to mention the Dragonzord is no longer a mechanical dragon, but a mechanical guy with a dragon shaped head...

They may be a hoax for all we know, but they are supposedly leaked concept art. They are different, but I wouldn't call them awful. Modernising the designs is not a bad things -- perhaps they should be a little less liberal on the changes, but no need to be completely puristic about it. I agree that Dragonzord is pretty bad though.

A concept trailer made for a rejected pitch seems more likely?

I'm leaning towards this too. Particularly with "Trini" asking if "[we] like the new designs".

iirate

Did you miss the end of the trailer?

I actually did.

Maybe serious doesn't qualify, but there was nothing interesting at all about that trailer. Whedon could make a MMPR movie in the style of Buffy, and it would be close to perfect. The original is pretty close as-is, except it's a childrens show with low production values and terrible writing.

Pachimari

I thought this were going to be a live action movie like the first one!? So it's gonna be all CG instead?

I would be fine with that.

jett

D-Member
This looks cheap as fuck. It's either a proof of concept, fanmade, or a DTV thing with a token theatrical release. I'm leaning on proof of concept.

wildfire

Banned
I like how even in animated Power Rangers, all the fights still take place in a construction site, industrial area, or quarry.

They'll "fix" this in the reboots I'm sure.

This movie looks cool but I don't feel a need to relive the old Rangers.

So I decided to see what the experts were saying (in other words, I decided to visit a Power Rangers message board). At first, people were skeptical because it was apparently uploaded over a year ago and yet only now people are noticing it. Then someone pointed out that it included a credit to ZAG-inc, and Saban and ZAG would announce the formation of a new animation studio a year after the video was supposedly uploaded. Someone also looked into a shot from another ZAG show and found a Power Rangers sign in one of their shows that looks a lot like the one from this trailer. These things, along with the fact that Saban is being very proactive about taking it down seem to point to this being real, though if anything actually comes of it or if it was just a proof of concept remains to be seen.

jwk94

BossRush

Hmmmn it looks good, but I feel it kind of defeats the whole purpose of power rangers Sentai and tokusatau in general

It does look good though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom