• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers The Movie is almost 20 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

zjo8uFN.jpg

Watch the highlights of the movie in this little clip:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9EwqPhGSo

What a movie. It came out in June of 1995.

What a time to be a Power Rangers fan back then.

Dem effects.

MaYEkyA.jpg

DEM NEW COSTUMES.

wMLr28v.jpg

I don't understand why they didnt reuse them for the show later on.

Dat Kimmy

ew2RblF.png

The toys were great too

YNNOHYn.jpg

And there is a special version of the main theme as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZeglDY3aHg

Penguin

As fun and goofy as it could be, why not just wait until the actual 20th anniversary to make this thread.

That said, any movie that has a giant robot hitting the big guy in the nuts is a win!

Eiolon

I didn't care about the movie too much. It was cool but I didn't like how it left two timelines with different ways they got their ninja powers between the show and movie.

They didn't re-use the suits for the show because none of the Japanese counterpart shows, which was the primary source material, used them.

I didn't care about the movie too much. It was cool but I didn't like how it left two timelines with different ways they got their ninja powers between the show and movie.

They didn't re-use the suits for the show because none of the Japanese counterpart shows, which was the primary source material, used them.

They didn't use them for the show because the budget was higher. That's literally the only reason.

KarmaCow

I remember in the middle of watching the movie in theaters was the point where I kinda stop caring about Power Rangers. It was a weird feeling.

Slayven

Isn't it because the power rangers never do the fight scenes? Those are from some japanese show right?

Pretty much. As soon as the Japanese production wraps up they ship the suits to Saban to begin their filming. So they get free suits and footage, makes sense to use it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They didn't use them for the show because the budget was higher. That's literally the only reason.

No, the post you quoted was right. They didn't use them because the Sentai didn't use them, and that's where the majority of the fight scenes you see in the show are taken from. It's literally dubbed-over Japanese footage.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Those suits were cool... sooo... umm.... it had that going for it?

I remember Tommy in the first fight scene, Tommy says something like "Welcome to my nightmare!" out of fucking nowhere, for no reason at all. Like... what? What is that even supposed to mean?!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Isn't it because the power rangers never do the fight scenes? Those are from some japanese show right?

Yes and no.
Fight scenes come from Super Sentai. The original costumes came from the 16th series Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger (which finally came out on DVD here in the States).
However, due to the popularity of these suits, they filmed a lot of original fight footage using them. Following they movie, they would be fighting monsters from the 18th Super Sentai series, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. That team's costumes would eventually be used for the Alien Rangers at the end of the season. For the giant battles, they would use the Kakuranger footage.

I remember my dad getting this for us when it came out on VHS. The good ol days.

same.

And that not exactly appropriately dressed for a kids movie, but clearly meant to keep the parents from slitting their throats in the theater, amazon lady... who gave them ninja powers that made no sense to me haha. Was a cool way to transition series into the next season that was from Japan though.

Dude, I watched it a while ago and Van Halen's Dreams had me in tears, sweet nostalgic tears hahaha, loved it still after all this time.
I also feel old :')

No, the post you quoted was right. They didn't use them because the Sentai didn't use them, and that's where the majority of the fight scenes you see in the show are taken from. It's literally dubbed-over Japanese footage.

I'm aware that the show is just Sentai with american actors in the non-fight scenes.

But the reason it's that way in the first place is because they had almost no budget. The movie changed that, if they had the budget for a show of their own they'd have made one.

Saban is a notorious stickler though.

styl3s

The only good thing to come out of the terrible mess of a movie and those terrible shiny versions of the power rangers were the colored coins that came with the figures.
WhiteRanger-Movie-Front.jpg

Saw the movie when it came out (i was 12 i believe) and was actually baffled at how much of a mess it was and how cheap it felt compared to the already cheaply made show. As a kid i understood and embraced the hokey cheapness of the show but i went in expecting this amazing big budget movie and me and my friend walked out and ended up sneaking out and into the Mortal Kombat movie which was infinity better.

Skux

same.

And that not exactly appropriately dressed for a kids movie, but clearly meant to keep the parents from slitting their throats in the theater, amazon lady... who gave them ninja powers that made no sense to me haha. Was a cool way to transition series into the next season that was from Japan though.

That's like the only thing I remember from the film lol

tumblr_n9tiy0AT8t1r0j0yso4_400.gif

styl3s

same.

The entire movie made no sense.

I have read through out the years that the movie was a complete mess going in to pre-production and was hastily thrown together to cash in while the franchise was still mega hot.

Ronin

I remember reading that Johnny Yong Bosch did almost all of his own in-suit stunt work because of an injury to a stuntman.

Saw it somewhat recently and thought it was pretty shit. The new suits made for the movie were awful looking and the cgi was terrible. The villains were the best part of the whole thing.

And the White Ranger suit is infinitely cooler than the Green Ranger suit. The suits with mouths are inherently inferior to those without.

Saw it somewhat recently and thought it was pretty shit. The new suits made for the movie were awful looking and the cgi was terrible. The villains were the best part of the whole thing.

And the White Ranger suit is infinitely cooler than the Green Ranger suit. The suits with mouths are inherently inferior to those without.

How dare you!

I remember thinking the suits were really cool when I saw it all those years ago.

styl3s

Are you gonna sit there and tell me Ivan fucking Ooze peddling his bootleg nickelodeon gak was a good villain?

How dare you!

I remember thinking the suits were really cool when I saw it all those years ago.
Suits always felt too shiny and had this like XTREME sports vibe to them.

Like, looking at them on google they literally look like people took pieces of pro skating gear and stuff and made a suit out of it.
maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like hes gonna break out a snowboard and crank some 311.

Are you gonna sit there and tell me Ivan fucking Ooze peddling his bootleg nickelodeon gak was a good villain?

I wouldn't call him a good villain but that he and the other villains were more fun than everything else in the movie. I enjoyed watching them be stupid at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom