• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games Bought Art Assets From Silicon Knights, Nintendo "wished them luck".

Silicon Knights is possibly the most fascinating company in gaming.

1) Makes some Amiga games.

2) Joins forces with another company to make a Vampire game, the police have to be called in during development due to tensions between the two companies.

3) Spends two years making a cancelled PS1 four-disc extravaganza.

4) Adopted by Nintendo, makes two great games, are being recommended for top projects by Shigeru Miyamoto and have complete financial security and a guiding hand.

5) Bails on Nintendo, makes two rubbish games and loads of cancelled ones.

6) Tries to sue a massive company for reasons of ego, loses, owes millions.

7) Allegedly funnels Activision money into Eternal Darkness 2.

8) Makes second company, and buys the Eternal Darkness 2 demo and assets - that were allegedly created using misappropriated Activision money.

9) Starts crowdsourcing project with second company, while first company continues to exist in some sort of legal limbo.

Have I got this right?

I need more details on point # 2. Who called the police and why?

CrisKre

You should petition Nintendo to give the project to one of their more stable first or second party studios versus hoping that what remains of SK in Precursor can make it while dodging all of the legal land mines they setup for themselves.

Yeah, no. What was shown of SotE looks very promising. I want this project to be seen through completion.

2) Joins forces with another company to make a Vampire game, the police have to be called in during development due to tensions between the two companies.

4) Adopted by Nintendo, makes two great games, are being recommended for top projects by Shigeru Miyamoto and have complete financial security and a guiding hand.

8) Makes second company, and buys the Eternal Darkness 2 demo and assets - that were allegedly created using misappropriated Activision money.

9) Starts crowdsourcing project with second company, while first company continues to exist in some sort of legal limbo.

Have I got this right?

Come on dude, didn't you do the SK research thread? Of course you'd have it pretty much right lol.

I'm more interested in the fact that Dyack's not in charge of this. He'll probably manage to get his filth in there and ruin something about the game though. Still, I loved ED and I'll probably keep following this project.

Shiggy

I really wish Nintendo was more proactive when it comes to Western developers and hardcore games. But the GCN times are over and with Iwata's focus on established franchises and cheap sequels, a new ED game seems to be out of reach. The game simply does not fit with Iwata's philosophy of making games; it's well known that he was an "enemy" of Too Human and rather put the team on a MGS remake.

Persona7

Banned

Have I got this right?

A ex-employee made the company who was a programmer and director at Silicon Knights. Who then later hired Denis Dyack into a creative only rule who presumably also lost his job at SK.

People are not corporations. But yes, one company with Dyack as an executive made a transaction with another company with Dyack as an executive. This is in principle perfectly legal.

Maybe do some research. Dyack is not handling anything business related at precursor game. His job is to make a game.

wrowa

People are not corporations. But yes, one company with Dyack as an executive made a transaction with another company with Dyack as an executive. This is in principle perfectly legal.

I think Precursor's CEO said that Dyack wasn't part of the team from the beginning. So it's very well possible that they've bought the assets at a time when Dyack was formally not yet a member of Precursor Games.

And I honestly don't see anything shady about this. Not sure why people see a problem with it. Silicon Knights is dead, everyone knew it as soon as their fee was decided. There's no way they could have made another game, so their creditors should be happy about every dollar they can get through asset sales.

... And these sales won't attribute to much, considering that they've had to destroy everything that was made with their "own" in-house engine.

That's because the 9 minutes of gameplay was what they had done for Eternal Darkness 2

The footage we've seen was made in CryEngine 3, what they've done internally at SK was based on their UE3 knock-off. They are re-using designs and the concept, but the footage we've seen is new and created by Precursor.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't blame Nintendo for not publishing it. I wouldn't want to pour money into a project with a team who are known for saying this thing will be a series with x number of games and having only one released.

Also the rumours about the way they handled funding from Activision doesn't give me confident in giving them money for their game, sorry to say.

Shinta

Banned
QTDA

Brilliant lol.

Shiggy

I don't blame Nintendo for not publishing it. I wouldn't want to pour money into a project with a team who are known for saying this thing will be a series with x number of games and having only one released.

Why do you blame SK for a decision taken by Microsoft?

There are some really helpful posts here about companies as legal entities - its not an area I'm familiar with so I appreciate the insight, thanks.

Come on dude, didn't you do the SK research thread? Of course you'd have it pretty much right lol.

Yes but I still stare with disbelief at every development! Silicon Knights has been a rollercoaster of drama. I wonder if other studios are anywhere near this eventful?

I'm more interested in the fact that Dyack's not in charge of this.

I'd love to know why Denis had to make it explicitly clear that he wasn't running the business side of things.

I don't know the details on this, but was it their first choice? I know Factor 5 didn't want to bail on Nintendo either, but they were dragging their feet on letting devs know about Wii and Factor 5 had to find work, so they pitched Lair to Sony and the rest is history.

upSzz.gif

wHGZg.gif

5xMaH.gif

I need more details on point # 2. Who called the police and why?

Do you know what kind of rules must be followed for this type of thing? Is there some sort of law against transferring assets away from your old company without being paid the market rate for them? I know doing such a thing in the UK would be considered fraud, but I don't know how things work in Canada.

I really wish Nintendo was more proactive when it comes to Western developers and hardcore games. But the GCN times are over and with Iwata's focus on established franchises and cheap sequels, a new ED game seems to be out of reach. The game simply does not fit with Iwata's philosophy of making games; it's well known that he was an "enemy" of Too Human and rather put the team on a MGS remake.

Do you have any more on this? You're very well connected and I find the politics fascinating.

brainpann

Maybe already stated, but why wouldn't Nintendo take some interest in this project and wish Precursor "good luck"? It's a project that many fans have been vocal about even though I don't think Eternal Darkness sold particularly well. Nintendo more or less gets what they want without paying for it. Also, given that it is slated for a PC release, Nintendo probably doesn't want Precursor using the Eternal Darkness name. If, and this is a BIG if, it does well, Nintendo could release a direct Eternal Darkness sequel. Nintendo has nothing to lose and everything to gain in this situation.

I think Precursor's CEO said that Dyack wasn't part of the team from the beginning. So it's very well possible that they've bought the assets at a time when Dyack was formally not yet a member of Precursor Games.

And I honestly don't see anything shady about this. Not sure why people see a problem with it. Silicon Knights is dead, everyone knew it as soon as their fee was decided. There's no way they could have made another game, so their creditors should be happy about every dollar they can get through asset sales.

... And these sales won't attribute to much, considering that they've had to destroy everything that was made with their "own" in-house engine.

The footage we've seen was made in CryEngine 3, what they've done internally at SK was based on their UE3 knock-off. They are re-using designs and the concept, but the footage we've seen is new and created by Precursor.
Engine does not = game. They simply ported everything over to a new engine.

Thorakai

I look forward to more weird legal mumbo jumbo as Precursor Games tries to drum up more support for their project. I hope that the project can at least release one episode for the backer's sake.

CrisKre

That's because the 9 minutes of gameplay was what they had done for Eternal Darkness 2

Reports kind of contradict that. And no matter what, the team came up with what we saw, and it looks and feels like ED. They are the best group to helm this project IMO.

nekomix

Throwing money when someone shows you a project is not a good decision either. Maybe they aren't pleased by the quality of what's done or how the project is managed to invest some pennies in SotE, like how they made a huge spring cleaning at Retro Studios when they bought it, and at this moment, Arakawa and co. were still there.

Reports kind of contradict that. And no matter what, the team came up with what we saw, and it looks and feels like ED. They are the best group to helm this project IMO.

We've seen the enemies shown and what did the reports say they had done for ED2? A church sequence. What did they show? A church sequence.
Also I wouldn't say the team came up with that, there are only 8 employees at Precursor games, I believe around 4 in managing roles and don't work directly on the game. Silicon Knights most likely came up with everything we saw, all they did at Precursor was port it over to the CryEngine.

CrisKre

Also the rumours about the way they handled funding from Activision doesn't give me confident in giving them money for their game, sorry to say.

I agree with this, and yet they could potentially fund it just enough to see it lift off if the crowdsourcing campaign doesnt fully take off. I dont think 1 million is too much to see this game happen. On the other hand, thats the whole sum they paid to own retro studios (before they heavily invested in it) so I dont know...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
//stuff//

Well, it definitely looks like he made his bed then. Good luck I guess? I was never really a fan of any of their games, so I'm not too bothered either way. The only game I've played that they worked on is the Metal Gear game which I enjoyed. I thought Too Human sounded promising at the time as well. I do hope Eternal Darkness fans get the game they want though. I would be really pissed if there was a game I wanted that had a chance to come out and was cancelled.

BD1

Banned

Was he an enemy of the game, or an enemy of it's bloated, convoluted, inefficient decade long Dev cycle? I agree Iwata is more risk adverse than most, but Too Human was a mess even back in 2003.

CrisKre

We've seen the enemies shown and what did the reports say they had done for ED2? A church sequence. What did they show? A church sequence.

We don´t know for sure who specifically designed those. The person for all we know may be working at precursor. And as for the church, the design seems to be from a historically accurate layout, which incidentally was also on ED. Furthermore, reports indicate this demo shown is leaps and bounds ahead of the prototype SK was developing.

Yeah, I don't know Canadian law, but a corporation is effectively (in the eyes of the law) its own person and the employees are generally not on the hook personally for the company's legal debts. Provided that Precursor did actually pay real money (even if it was just $1) for the assets then they're fine as long as Dyack doesn't hold a legal position within the new company (because then it'd been seen as unfair abuse of power or position), but he doesn't (or, so it seems).

Hypothetically, Activision would have to sue Silicon Knights to get any money back, and if the court found that the ED2 assets were 'stolen goods' under the argument that they used money given to them for Z-Men to create them and then they could claim those assets back from Precursor.

However, as SK is bankrupt (right?) and already owes Epic so much money, Activision's motivation to bring an actual law suit to Silicon Knights is next to nil, because they would never be able to claim and it'd be a legal fee sinkhole.

Dascu

Do you know what kind of rules must be followed for this type of thing? Is there some sort of law against transferring assets away from your old company without being paid the market rate for them? I know doing such a thing in the UK would be considered fraud, but I don't know how things work in Canada.

I don't know what the law in Canada is either, nor have I followed the case to know if bankruptcy has been filed for or declared already (has it?). In Belgium at least, if I remember my classes correctly, transactions during bankruptcy proceedings practically cannot go through without court approval. And transactions up to several months before the bankruptcy filing can be re-examined for fraudulent behavior. Selling assets below market value would definitely qualify for that.

Shiggy

@mama robotnik

Sorry that I cannot quote you but the mobile NeoGAF site is causing some trouble

A few years back, someone with ties to SK said on NeoGAF that NCL was not willing to fund Too Human. Dyack and NCL obviously had visions that were not fitting together. One company wanting to make cinematic, story driven games, the other cancelling all hardcore titles and focusing on lifestyle products and family games. The low tech direction of the Wii didn't help much either.

I will try to find those posts tomorrow. Too troublesome on my phone...

Iorv3th

It also sounded like a lot changed with their Too Human E3 demo. Supposedly a build that was shown behind closed doors was completely different from what was shown at E3. IIRC, there was some type of update to UE3 or they switched over to it, which didn't give them enough time to get prepared for E3 and left a lot of negative buzz for the game.

If that's the case they never mentioned that at e3. I was there and played the game and talked to the developers that were showing the game off at their booth. They really talked the game up and acted like it was amazing (even in that state). Even though the demo kiosks where messing up right in front of them. You know if they would have at least lowered their egos and said, yeah this game still has a way to go we are working on these problems etc etc. But from what I remember they came off as very arrogant about the game in its current condition.

Kimawolf

Have I got this right?

Yes. in the states LLCs are used to keep the people not accountable but only the company. You see it all the time. Cupcake gods LLC goes bankrupt to avoid creditors. One month later Cupcake Demons LLC or whatever opens up and its business as usual. Sounds like they wanted to keep making the game but not pay Epic, and in the states it's legal.

@mama robotnik

cancelling all hardcore titles and focusing on lifestyle products and family games. The low tech direction of the Wii didn't help much either.

All their hardcore titles? I can't even picture what a Nintendo Hardcore game would be.

We don´t know for sure who specifically designed those. The person for all we know may be working at precursor. And as for the church, the design seems to be from a historically accurate layout, which incidentally was also on ED. Furthermore, reports indicate this demo shown is leaps and bounds ahead of the prototype SK was developing.

That doesn't change the fact that a bunch of people were working on the game at SK, and now only a small hand-full are, plus the layout of the church doesn't matter, my point was that is what they had done at SK. Were did you hear that this was leaps and bounds ahead of what they had? Even if it is they could have easily just polished what they had in the months since they were established.

Shiggy

Was he an enemy of the game, or an enemy of it's bloated, convoluted, inefficient decade long Dev cycle? I agree Iwata is more risk adverse than most, but Too Human was a mess even back in 2003.

Too Human wasn't even in active development between 1999 and 2004. Though what they did on PSX did not hold up too well, you are right about that. In 2004, they sold the project as a trilogy to MS. It was completely different from the old game.

Too Human wasn't even in active development between 1999 and 2004. Though what they did on PSX did not hold up too well, you are right about that. In 2004, they sold the project as a trilogy to MS. It was completely different from the old game.

Wasn't it in development on the Gamecube for a while?

@mama robotnik

Sorry that I cannot quote you but the mobile NeoGAF site is causing some trouble

A few years back, someone with ties to SK said on NeoGAF that NCL was not willing to fund Too Human. Dyack and NCL obviously had visions that were not fitting together. One company wanting to make cinematic, story driven games, the other cancelling all hardcore titles and focusing on lifestyle products and family games. The low tech direction of the Wii didn't help much either.

I will try to find those posts tomorrow. Too troublesome on my phone...

Thanks Shiggy. I had a look myself, didn't find them, but I did find this:

Too human has been in development for ages, and I heard Denis asked his employees to vote on if they should keep developing it, or abandon it for somehting new. From what I've heard they all voted to abandon it as the game just wasn't any fun, but Denis decided to keep working on it as it seems the game is his baby. If they do it, it will probably be for all platforms. it'd make sense since he could bring in the most money that way. I also heard they had a nintendo enforced hiring freeze about two months back... I'm sure he didn't like that after loosing some people to rockstar toronto...

I'd love to know if this is true!

Beth Cyra

I am so confused, how this work? how is this possible? Nintendo is ok with all of these? I don't get it.. :S

They are saying Nintendo is cool with it. Given they haven't recieved a C&D it would seem they are actually cool with it, or at the very least indifferent and willing to let them do what they want.

Vamphuntr

So basically this new company is simply SK without the debts it had incurred because of that trial before. Buying the assets was simply a way to extract them from SK.

Shiggy

All their hardcore titles? I can't even picture what a Nintendo Hardcore game would be.

Games like Project Hammer, Sphear, and so on were all canned when games like Wii Sports took off. Funnily, NST never recovered from that move and has focused on smaller handheld titles since then. If you would ask me, I also expect Retro to work on a family title rather than something hardcore-oriented like Metroid Prime or their old Sheik pitch.

Beth Cyra

Games like Project Hammer, Sphear, and so on were all canned when games like Wii Sports took off. Funnily, NST never recovered from that move and has focused on smaller handheld titles since then. If you would ask me, I also expect Retro to work on a family title rather than something hardcore-oriented like Metroid Prime or their old Sheik pitch.

Why? It's true Nintendo hasn't had the best run of luck with Hardcore titles, but with Bayo 2 and Retro's own comments about working on a project that people wanted them to and how long it's been in development and that they have been in crunch for over a year doesn't seem like something that adds up to a Casual/Family focused title.

Alebrije

So , this game form Precursor Games can be called the "spiritual" successor of Ethernal Darkness? and will come just to WiiU and PC?

Top Bottom