• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think blackhat is the best movie he's ever been in but that was always bound to be a bomb. Still he got to work with Mann

Rush was pretty good too. Everything else though I have no idea why he signs onto. Except for the marvel stuff of course. That's big exposure for him and guaranteed work.

kurahador

Aside from Huntsman sequel he likely returns due to contractual obligation, Chris Hemsworth chose his role well. The dude just has some unfortunate stroke of bad luck.

I mean Blackhat is a freaking Micheal Mann movie and The Heart Of The Sea was based on a book directed by Ron Howard. These 2 movie looks promising as hell on paper.

I think blackhat is the best movie he's ever been in but that was always bound to be a bomb. Still he got to work with Mann

Rush was pretty good too. Everything else though I have no idea why he signs onto. Except for the marvel stuff of course. That's big exposure for him and guaranteed work.

Is Blackhat worth watching, at least for style? Or has Mann lost also that?

It's more akin to his loose Miami Vice style so if you think anything good of that you'll like it

The container park shootout scene at least is freaking great
Actually still haven't seen Miami Vice, so I don't know what to make of that :p

I'll check it out, at least good to hear there's a great shootout.

LaNaranja

It might be a joke but this phrase of winning someone weirds me out. Just because she or he is pretty, doesn't automatically mean she or he is a great partner/person in a relationship or even as this post implying that sex must be great. "Winning" based on looks alone implies like she's some trophy, kind of objectifying imo.

It wasn't a joke, and I made no comments about her attractiveness. I meant that he had won at life because he had found someone that he seems to really care about. They both always seems really happy in interviews and stuff. If finding someone and being happy isn't winning at life then I don't know what is.

Chris-Hemsworth-Elsa-Pataky-Vacation-Premiere-Photos.jpg

Spaghetti

I know someone who worked on WB's Tarzan, and the word is they're in deep shit because test audiences fucking hated the film. Incoming bomba.

Aselith

Dude keeps getting big roles and it's just bomb after bomb.Maybe stop casting the guy ?

He's been in a handful of bombs but most of his "big roles" have been very successful. The Thor movies make bank and shit on it all you want but so did Snow White. Blackhat and In the Heart of the Sea bombed but those weren't really career killers.

Hopefully, he can find some success outside those roles but he's getting good roles. He's been good in everything and the movies haven't delivered more than anything. He had one homerun and one miss with Howard. That's not so bad especially since Howard has been whiffing a lot in his recent productions.

I know someone who worked on WB's Tarzan, and the word is they're in deep shit because test audiences fucking hated the film. Incoming bomba.

I feel bad for Eric Northman, he is not going to find another blockbuster role that doesn't require him speak English well.

It wasn't a joke, and I made no comments about her attractiveness. I meant that he had won at life because he had found someone that he seems to really care about. They both always seems really happy in interviews and stuff. If finding someone and being happy isn't winning at life then I don't know what is.

Meh, I will be surprised if they last longer than Hugh Grant and Elizabeth Hurley.

kurahador

I think Tarzan is probably the big loser of 2016. I have no idea how that thing cost $140 million to make.

Kinda obvious why it costs that much from the trailer ---- CGI animals, forests, etc...
Why WB willing to spend that amount is the biggest mystery.

Catdaddy

I’m thinking Tarzan.. $140 mil???

I think Warcraft and Assassin’s Creed may bomb in the US, but both will do well internationally and wouldn’t surprise me that if Warcraft releases in China, it’ll be huge…

I'll be curious to see how this Angry Birds movie does. The trailers look completely awful, and the property didn't need a movie anyway.

mjc

I still can't peg Warcraft as the big loser..domestically I think it'll do Pacific Rim numbers at best. But thinking internationally, especially if it hits China, there could be some return.

I think Bobby is onto something with Tarzan, especially with that budget. Insanity.

140 mil just to make...

Ah, gotcha. No, Tarzan has a reported production budget of 180mil. Which means it probably cost something closer to 210 to actually make.

(I'm not counting marketing, because marketing should really never be counted as part of the production budget. Somewhere along the way people started just rolling that into it, but there's a lot of problems in doing that)

KonradLaw

I think Tarzan movie could do well today, if they wouldn';t constantly remake the same damn origin story over and over again. THere's so much pulpy goodness in this character.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think Tarzan movie could do well today, if they wouldn';t constantly remake the same damn origin story over and over again. THere's so much pulpy goodness in this character.

Tarzan has a few problems.

1) The film doesn't look fun.
2) It doesn't look particularly visually interesting.
3) It's set after the Tarzan story everyone knows.

I don't think everything needs an origin story, I just think this film is grossly overestimating how many people want to see a story about Tarzan going back to the jungle after living life on the mainland.

Jebusman

Banned
I'll be curious to see how this Angry Birds movie does. The trailers look completely awful, and the property didn't need a movie anyway.

I feel the Angry Birds movie COULD have succeeded had it released a few years ago, or had Angry Birds been able to hold on as a property. But now it seems like it's a little bit past the window they needed. I'm sure at the time they though Angry Birds would last forever (Given the CEO's comments of "I want Angry Birds to be as big as Mickey Mouse", or something to that effect).

mjc

I feel the Angry Birds movie COULD have succeeded had it released a few years ago, or had Angry Birds been able to hold on as a property. But now it seems like it's a little bit past the window they needed. I'm sure at the time they though Angry Birds would last forever (Given the CEO's comments of "I want Angry Birds to be as big as Mickey Mouse", or something to that effect).

You're spot on here, I agree.

The Cabin in the Woods - 92 %RT
Rush - 89%RT
Hell Cabin in the Woods is the movie that got him noticed. I was watching the commentary with Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon and they were talking about a certain scene where he absolutely just nailed the performance and they thought "oh my god this guy is going to be a movie star." They had producers come in and look at the dailies. By the end of the week, he had landed leading roles in Red Dawn and Thor.

Drew and Joss were right that he's a good actor with presence, but they didn't foresee that audiences weren't going to be interested.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hell Cabin in the Woods is the movie that got him noticed. I was watching the commentary with Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon and they were talking about a certain scene where he absolutely just nailed the performance and they thought "oh my god this guy is going to be a movie star." They had producers come in and look at the dailies. By the end of the week, he had landed leading roles in Red Dawn and Thor.

Drew and Joss were right that he's a good actor with presence, but they didn't foresee that audiences weren't going to be interested.

I don't get the impression Hemsworth wants to make blockbusters to be honest. Compare his acting in Rush to everything else and it's clear what he really wants to do.

DonMigs85

Yeah the Angry Birds movie should have come out in 2013 or 2014 at the latest, but it might still do decently, maybe at least Ice Age numbers. I don't think it'll have any other animated competition for a while either since Zootopia's winding down, Ratchet & Clank doesn't quite have the same recognition and Finding Dory doesn't come out til June.

Parch

Kid's movies with an established franchise are surprisingly low risk. It doesn't have to be critically acclaimed to be successful. I bet Angry Birds does just fine.

ck8215

Angry Birds will do just fine. I saw the trailer in the cinema and it was quit funny. People around me laught too. Children will love the humor and the birds.
The second TMNT on the other hand, I think, won't do that great.

Oof.

Tarzan will not bomb. Doing a 180 on my prediction.

$180 million box office on a $180 million budget is a bomb, surely?! Especially if the general rule is that a movie studio needs 2 - 2.5x the budget in box office takings in order to start making profit.

Angry Birds will do just fine. I saw the trailer in the cinema and it was quit funny. People around me laught too. Children will love the humor and the birds.
The second TMNT on the other hand, I think, won't do that great.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to be a big hit or anything but I think it will do okay. Maybe $250-$300 million WW total, but then according to Wikipedia it only has a budget of $80 million.

He is a walking romantic novel cover, what else can he be on?

Son Of D

I can see Angry Birds making a decent profit. But it's a case of not striking when the iron's hot. If this released at least 2 years ago, we would be saying different things. Although it's possible this reinvigorates interest in the IP.

Kind of makes me wonder how a hypothetical Clash of Clans movie would do if it released within the last year.

$180 million box office on a $180 million budget is a bomb, surely?! Especially if the general rule is that a movie studio needs 2 - 2.5x the budget in box office takings in order to start making profit.

I think he means that he's turned his opinion around from Tarzan bombing to Tarzan profiting.

I'm curious if Tarzan will be a Pan level bomb.

DonMigs85

He meant he did a 180 degree turn on his previous negative opinion

Retro

This is a few days old but I didn't see it posted; did anyone bet on Huntsman?

The failure of “The Huntsman: Winter’s War” has ended Universal’s attempts to establish a new fairy tale franchise and could lose the studio as much as $70 million.

It’s difficult to accurately assess the amount of red ink the studio will be mopping up, given that Universal does not provide a marketing and distribution budget for its films, but several rival studio executives said they are confident the film is a money-loser. Other sources projected that the film will be able to find some relief on home entertainment platforms, estimating it will lose between $30 million to $40 million over its life cycle.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/t...n-after-chilly-box-office-results-1201760908/

Busty

Banned
Spectral!

I was chatting with some friends about the upcoming summer season and what could hit and what could flop and then..., it dawned on me. We'd completely forgotten about Spectral, which is still scheduled for release in August, is coming this summer. We haven't seen a poster never mind a trailer at this point.

This film is so forgotten that when people write articles about Legendary they name Warcraft etc (as potential problem projects, money losers etc) but never actually name Spectral. IIRC Legendary completely self financed the film and Universal are just the distributor for hire.

They filmed this in August 2014 (according to Wiki admittedly) and they were doing (more?) reshoots as of early January in Budapest (http://teaser-trailer.com/movie/spectral)

At this point I just don't see this film making its release date unless the studio intends to quietly dump it into total anonymity which is entirely possible.

Given all the noise surrounding the new Ghostbusters film does anyone really care about a film that's been described as "Ghostbusters meets Black Hawk Down"????

Gentlemen, there is blood in the water and Gods Of Egypt has competition for the crown of 2016's flop of the year! You heard it here first!

TheChamp

Has to be one of Tarzan of Warcraft one having no good trailers at all and that $140m budget WHY and Warcraft being like 5 years too late.

But I think it will be Assassin's Creed video game movies have never been successful at all and its launching 5 days after Rogue One

Spectral!

I was chatting with some friends about the upcoming summer season and what could hit and what could flop and then..., it dawned on me. We'd completely forgotten about Spectral, which is still scheduled for release in August, is coming this summer. We haven't seen a poster never mind a trailer at this point.

This film is so forgotten that when people write articles about Legendary they name Warcraft etc (as potential problem projects, money losers etc) but never actually name Spectral. IIRC Legendary completely self financed the film and Universal are just the distributor for hire.

They filmed this in August 2014 (according to Wiki admittedly) and they were doing (more?) reshoots as of early January in Budapest (http://teaser-trailer.com/movie/spectral)

At this point I just don't see this film making its release date unless the studio intends to quietly dump it into total anonymity which is entirely possible.

Given all the noise surrounding the new Ghostbusters film does anyone really care about a film that's been described as "Ghostbusters meets Black Hawk Down"????

Gentlemen, there is blood in the water and Gods Of Egypt has competition for the crown of 2016's flop of the year! You heard it here first!

I have totally not even heard of this film. I assumed I would Google it and the results would jolt my memory, but I literally don't think I'd even heard of it before.

It actually sounds like it could be kind of entertaining? But yeah, it's going to bomb hard, most likely.

trikster40

I'm going Gods of Egypt. It didn't even look as good as a SyFy movie in the trailers. God it looked awful. I may watch it to see the disaster.

Experien

Spectral!

Spectral would be a winner but i think it is coming out in 2017?

Tarzan or Ghostbusters.

Nah, there are enough people who will go see it because it has female only cast and not cause it looks good. Also, Melissa McCarthy has a fan following, I mean how else do you explain all the movies she gets?

Busty

Banned
Spectral would be a winner but i think it is coming out in 2017?

Spectral is still scheduled for release, by Universal, on the 12th of August.

The Friday after Suicide Squad, the same Friday as Sausage Party and Pete's Dragon.

They could still shift it but it would be strange for a studio to do so this late in the day.

The more I poke around the more I think that this is literally being dumped by Legendary. I really wouldn't be surprised if this has already been written off by Legendary after their Chinese buy out.

Never heard of Spectral before, I can't imagine the budget was that big anyway, there are no names attached to that movie.

Anyway, all of my money is on Ben-Hur. Nobody wants to see a remake of that movie in 2016, it will bomb much harder than Tarzan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom