• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the next Nintendo console's gimmick

I think another console / handheld hybrid is their only option for the foreseeable future.

One day when the tech is cheap enough and less clunky, I see them jumping on VR and a return to motion controls. I think it’s a great fit for their style of games and creativity and they will probably school everybody again with some amazing games for the medium.

Arkam

Solar panels on the handheld and games focused around getting kids outside. real focus on being "Green" and will launch with a Pokemon Go Green game that combines teh AR and Geo loc with the solar panels to create unique environmental requirements for certain pokemon to appear.

teezzy

Banned
Solar panels on the handheld and games focused around getting kids outside. real focus on being "Green" and will launch with a Pokemon Go Green game that combines teh AR and Geo loc with the solar panels to create unique environmental requirements for certain pokemon to appear.

New Boktai in coming! 😍

D.Final

Banned

It would be cool

I expect them to go full fledged VR with some cheap gimmick only Nintendo can promote and make it hit.

Yeah I think the handheld hybrid stuff (Switch Too or whatever) will continue for a good 5 years and by then VR should be much better and probably cheaper and right then and there they will adopt it full on.

Mato

Some vanilla AR/Hololens stuff. A cheap headset that sort of enhances normal games. Mostly effects i.e. weather partcles surround the player to accent what's happening on the screen, or maybe things like bugs and snowflakes flying out of the TV/handheld. Also some gimmicky minigames build exclusively for the headset.

DESTROYA

It shoots water up your ass after you've taken a shit.

Wouldn’t you have to sit on your Switch for that? If you are your using it wrong.

A small transmitter that shoves up your anus that beams the game right into your brain. No need for vr, a TV screen or a tablet screen.

You think your post was better then the edgy one you brought up?

What about a controller you have to shove up your ass?

What is it with you guys and shoving things up your ass? If your using it that way your not using it right. I hope your the only one using your Switch.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Gimmick? If it’s done right, the word is ‘innovation’

Nintendo did well with the Switch. But I hope they just continue down the path and continue to make great games, bring more ports of classic games hopefully from the gameboy, gbc, gba, ds, 3ds, N64, gamecube, and forward. Also, better online experience and games

Gimmick? If it’s done right, the word is ‘innovation’

its a difficult discussion because a gimmick is a novel idea, is innovative by definition but an inovative idea is not necesarily popular or used at all until it becomes popular and somethimes it require be used as a gimmick in another product even someone's else product

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

BmE460EIAAAV2SJ.jpg

Cutty Flam

Banned
its a difficult discussion because a gimmick is a novel idea, is innovative by definition but an inovative idea is not necesarily popular or used at all until it becomes popular and somethimes it require be used as a gimmick in another product even someone's else product
Damn that’s confusing to follow, but I get what you’re saying. I just don’t want any disrespect thrown at the Switch, because it’s an excellent product

I didn’t think the Wik was all that hot. I had it, but only bought like a dozen games. The Wii U seemed cool but I skipped out on it, focused on other things. The Switch though, it completely got me back into gaming and Nintendo. I used to be a big fan but then I noticed they sort of lost it and weren’t really doing an amazing job like before. It was disappointing. But now they’re doing amazing work comparable to the level of SNES, N64, and Gamecube. Maybe even better as crazy as that sounds with the library at hand now and still forward. I think the Nintendo Switch is great

njean777

I really want a Switch XL cuz it is hard for me to see/read the smallish screen on the regular switch. Seeing though that the world is where it is this isn't the place and time to release that. So IDK at this point.

Last edited:
1080p gaming?

I kid, I kid.. I'm thinking VR. Without cables and stuff, maybe. How cool would it be if they named it "Virtual man"? 😎 because it's.. Mature.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

They're in a weird spot. The switch is their most successful traditional console in a long time.

Look I know it's not traditional but it's as traditional as it gets for them.

The switch has been brilliant in introducing people to Nintendo franchises properly though. Animal crossing is now massive, fire emblem is big, games like Luigis mansion are selling well.

I really think a newer version of the switch that's backward campatible.

Stick with the carts and SD card storage. They're constantly getting cheaper to produce.

What can they add though besides better graphics?

I honestly cannot predict anything this time.

Zannegan

I doubt they abandon the hybrid form-factor. It's working too well for them (of course, my saying that probably guarantees that they will, Nintendo being Nintendo). I'd like it if they made the Joycon 2 bigger and more comfortable though. And I hope their tracking fidelity is improved.

They could go the [rumored] XBox series S/X route, with a more powerful/high res Switch 2 "Pro" out the gate. I also wouldn't put bets against VR. Though, if they do, I hope it's a separate screen and optics in goggles that hooks up to the console, rather than a frame that you drop the console into. The Switch is way too heavy to wear on your head, and fingerprints on the screen won't help with image quality any.

I always love it when Nintendo pulls a fast one and includes something weird in their console, so long as it's useful. A lossless/lagless wireless HDMI dongle, like the Wii U in reverse, would be pretty cool. It would make the dock just a charging spot, open up the potential for wireless VR, and even make multiple console splitscreen.

I don't know if you can make that work (inexpensively) with a 4k signal, though I wouldn't be shocked if a standard wireless HDMI setup was on the horizon. If so, I could see Nintendo adapting/putting out their own version like they did with the Wii U/Miracast.

BitDust

The Wii U wasn't the same product. It had a big old controller with a screen in it. The SNES, GBC, and GBA were times when they did offer the same product but more powerful, and those were successes. That would be the correct move here. Switch 2. But we're probably at least 3 years away from that.

The WiiU it's a Wii with a screen, wiimote compatibility included. The asynchronous gameplay was simply a mirage where Nintendo itself unacknowledged the big mistake. SNES, GBC and GBA belong to a different time and then Iwata happened to make something new after the Gamecube, the marvelous Wii. Although the Switch has the many features of past Nintendo consoles (dual screen excluded), the hybrid factor, the HD rumble and infrared offered a different product to access to new ideas like Nintendo Labo. Nintendo will probably offer a more powerful Switch version before a totally new Nintendo console appear. I personally expect a new Switch model by early 2021 with BotW2 and then in 2024 the new console.

BitDust

A console with no proper screen at all.
This is what Miyamoto said he wanted to do long time ago.

I honestly find it difficult but not impossible. Miyamoto still thinks about toys and use of AI for it. I wouldn't be surprised to see their next console to move small robots. They are already trying this with Nintendo Labo. Moreover nVidia chips architecture are for this kind of job. :messenger_robot:

Top Bottom