• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

A Sony system's price in yen has never translated to what it will sell for in other regions. As I recall, the price in yen for a PS2 was quite inflated vs. what it launched for in the U.S...

Just something to consider.

Ponn

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Are they going to open up new factories or such, because they still have PS2s and PSPs to manufacture?

PSP's yea. Don't you think they are producing PS2's now in anticipation of switching over? I'd be willing to bet come June production factories will be full blown PS3 and besides that the already mentioned in previous threads of back up production for Cell and RSX.

Hey I said it before, Sony isn't stupid. They have much more time for production then MS had for Xbox 360 so anyone thinking or betting against them having 2 million or less machines will be in for a surprise. I already bet a ban on them coming out in U.S. this holiday despite the hysteria and doom threads and look at that. I'm willing to bet another ban on 2million or more worldwide for their launch. As long as someone's willing to bet against that :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MassiveAttack said:
The media reports ANY delay in a negative light, no matter the subject matter.

QFT. All the general media saw was "Spring 2006" with a presumption that this would be worldwide. For anyone paying attention to what's been happening in the last couple of months, this news has been a positive relief, and then some, for Europeans at least. Most boards I've read have been very positive on this, particularly European (obviously).

That's asides from the rest of the announcements too..

gofreak said:
QFT. All the general media saw was "Spring 2006" with a presumption that this would be worldwide. For anyone paying attention to what's been happening in the last couple of months, this news has been a positive relief, and then some, for Europeans at least. Most boards I've read have been very positive on this, particularly European (obviously).

That's asides from the rest of the announcements too..
hah, yeah. it's funny when you look at it based on where you live

Japan = BOO! Delay!
US = Um, okay. That's what we were expecting.
EU = FUCKING SWEET! PS3 in 2006!

Jim

...and analysts are already coming out of the woodwork to revise their expectations.
STRATEGY ANALYTICS: Sony's PS3 Delays Will Have Limited Long-term Impact; PS3 Will Gain 65 Percent Share of Next Generation Console Market

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 15, 2006--Responding to today's announcement from Sony, delays to the Sony PS3 launch are likely to have limited impact on the console's long term performance, according to analysis from the Strategy Analytics Connected Home Devices service. While 2006 sales will clearly fall short of previous expectations, Strategy Analytics maintains its previous forecast of PS3 sales of 121.8 million units through 2012. This compares to expected sales of Microsoft's Xbox 360 of 58.8 million units over the same period.

"The PS3 delay will give Microsoft more time to win early adopters, but this was generally anticipated," notes David Mercer, Principal Analyst at Strategy Analytics. "Any further delays could seriously damage Sony's position as a consumer technology leader. Assuming the November launch takes place as planned, we still believe that the PS3 will prove to be the dominant next generation console which will ultimately win a 65 percent share of the market."

Cumulative Sales 2005-2012 - Millions Units
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony PS3 121.8
Microsoft Xbox 360 58.8
Nintendo Revolution 17.9

Source: Strategy Analytics Connected Home Devices service

pestul

Jim said:
...and analysts are already coming out of the woodwork to revise their expectations.
See, the GAF crowd should be getting paid what these guys do.. our numbers are probably more realistic though.

STRATEGY ANALYTICS: Sony's PS3 Delays Will Have Limited Long-term Impact; PS3 Will Gain 65 Percent Share of Next Generation Console Market

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 15, 2006--Responding to today's announcement from Sony, delays to the Sony PS3 launch are likely to have limited impact on the console's long term performance, according to analysis from the Strategy Analytics Connected Home Devices service. While 2006 sales will clearly fall short of previous expectations, Strategy Analytics maintains its previous forecast of PS3 sales of 121.8 million units through 2012. This compares to expected sales of Microsoft's Xbox 360 of 58.8 million units over the same period.

"The PS3 delay will give Microsoft more time to win early adopters, but this was generally anticipated," notes David Mercer, Principal Analyst at Strategy Analytics. "Any further delays could seriously damage Sony's position as a consumer technology leader. Assuming the November launch takes place as planned, we still believe that the PS3 will prove to be the dominant next generation console which will ultimately win a 65 percent share of the market."

Cumulative Sales 2005-2012 - Millions Units
Sony PS3 121.8
Microsoft Xbox 360 35.8
Nintendo Revolution 30.9

Source: Strategy Analytics Connected Home Device and MassiveAttack

FIXED!

McFly

Mrbob said:
59 million xbox 360 systems?

Do they expect MS to sell 40 million X360 in NA?

Yeah, pretty high expectations if you ask me. I don't think the whole game market will grow that much to make a 121.8+58.8+17.9 situation possible next gen.

Fredi

Bloodwake

So, what I'm seeing is Sony is taking a page out of Microsoft's book and doing a three region release in November. Okay, about what I expected.

BUT THE PS1 EMULATOR ON THE PSP?

Wow, that might have motivated me to purchase one.

PS3 with the free online service. Wow, something else I wasn't expectiong.

Pretty good dump of info for a pre-E3 conference.

cvxfreak

Ponn01 said:
PSP's yea. Don't you think they are producing PS2's now in anticipation of switching over? I'd be willing to bet come June production factories will be full blown PS3 and besides that the already mentioned in previous threads of back up production for Cell and RSX.

Hey I said it before, Sony isn't stupid. They have much more time for production then MS had for Xbox 360 so anyone thinking or betting against them having 2 million or less machines will be in for a surprise. I already bet a ban on them coming out in U.S. this holiday despite the hysteria and doom threads and look at that. I'm willing to bet another ban on 2million or more worldwide for their launch. As long as someone's willing to bet against that :D

I think the PS2 will be around for a while longer. Especially since it's yet to reach the $99 price point of magic. I agree that PS2 supply is probably getting ramped up in anticipation. It'll be an interesting year indeed. :)

McFly said:
Yeah, pretty high expectations if you ask me. I don't think the whole game market will grow that much to make a 121.8+58.8+17.9 situation possible next gen.

Fredi

Don't know, that would be 198.5m. This gen already saw ~10m for Dreamcast, ~100m for PS2 and a bit over 20m for GC and Xbox. GC and Xbox combined will probably reach 50m and PS2 ~120-125m. So overall this gen would've have sold 185m. That would be a growth rate of less than 10%, sounds reasonable imho (although the X360 numbers are really optimistic considering that they are nearly non existent in Japan, so yeah to reach these numbers they would need to sell about 30m X360s in the USA).

Those numbers seem reasonable to me. Xbox 360 will do much better than the original Xbox. Although I hope that this generation lasts until 2014 or 2015, not 2012. 60 million units is pretty high. I'd say 45-50 million. Revolution's numbers look about right.

I think this is good news that the PS3 is delayed. It gives more attention to the 2006 PS2 releases, gives developers more time to make complete products instead of rushed shit, and lowers the price so the possibility of a $400 tag is much more likely. Plus, it gives me a chance to appreciate the Xbox 360 and Revolution more.

yoopoo

Banned
Source: Strategy Analytics Connected Home Device and MassiveAttack

I've only heard of one of those entities. Not very reliable.

terrene

Banned
The Experiment said:
Those numbers seem reasonable to me. Xbox 360 will do much better than the original Xbox. Although I hope that this generation lasts until 2014 or 2015, not 2012. 60 million units is pretty high. I'd say 45-50 million. Revolution's numbers look about right.

I think this is good news that the PS3 is delayed. It gives more attention to the 2006 PS2 releases, gives developers more time to make complete products instead of rushed shit, and lowers the price so the possibility of a $400 tag is much more likely. Plus, it gives me a chance to appreciate the Xbox 360 and Revolution more.
Agreed. The PS3's delay is one of those weird things that's good for everybody -- Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, AND the consumers.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
hah, yeah. it's funny when you look at it based on where you live

Japan = BOO! Delay!
US = Um, okay. That's what we were expecting.
EU = FUCKING SWEET! PS3 in 2006!

yup, i mentioned this a while back too.

but you know what, If sony get to October and then say "oh, we don't think the launch would go smooth and it would be unfair to short sell people on numbers so we are delaying US and Euro launch" then i expect burning KK effiges , gangs with pitchforks, and angry bearded gamers...

... but we won't get that. We'll get "Another delay? Oh that's so awesome! I've enjoyed the wait, and i can wait to spring 2007. Sony... man, this company... they just keep giving!"

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:

but you know what, If sony get to October and then say "oh, we don't think the launch would go smooth and it would be unfair to short sell people on numbers so we are delaying US and Euro launch" then i expect burning KK effiges , gangs with pitchforks, and angry bearded gamers...

... but we won't get that. We'll get "Another delay? Oh that's so awesome! I've enjoyed the wait, and i can wait to spring 2007. Sony... man, this company... they just keep giving!"

Keep hoping there.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:

Did Kutaragi step on your feet, elbow you in the face, and steal your wallet one day on a train? Your hate and nay-saying of Sony is really flaring up lately :\

PS. It's impossible for the US date to get delayed because Sony knows if they aren't out for the X-mas season in the states they lose LOTS of sales.

J-Rzez

MassiveAttack said:

That is more believable... Rev is going to be stronger than 18million units... sorry to tell ppl that... Sony will make yet another snuff film out of this console war... but it's going to be a fierce battle for number 2... that's for sure... chances are, of two console buyers, which there's a lot of... a majority of those PS3 buyers, when going for a complimentary system, is going for the Rev because it's going to offer a different type of gaming... while the 360 will offer a couple exclusives, but most will be multiplatform and available on the PS3...

I'm going for the different gaming experience to compliment the PS3 personally... Halo 3 will be great and all... but not worth picking up a system solely for... the Rev will have Zelda, Metroid, plus some crazy new games (what yet? i dunno, something better than cooking i hope), and plus the downloadable oldies which is a big sale point to me...

DCharlie

Did Kutaragi step on your feet, elbow you in the face, and steal your wallet one day on a train? Your hate and nay-saying of Sony is really flaring up lately :\

It was the same day the DS snapped on your goolies and all the non-N1 companies raped your dog ! ;)

nope - i just don't get the logic from yesterday.

"IT WONT BE DELAYED ITS SPRING IT WONT BE DELAYED ITS SPRING IT WONT BE DELAYED ITS... OH.... ITS A GLOBAL LAUNCH IN NOVEMBER ITS A GLOBAL LAUNCH IN NOVEMBER..."

I dunno - i'm inclined at the moment to hold fire on ANYTHING that sony says, and personally, most of yesterday read like fluff with little that was totally concrete.

Yet everyone is quick to staple themselves to what KK said.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
nope - i just don't get the logic from yesterday.

"OH CRAP ITS DELAYED TILL JAPAN IN NOV...NO US/EUR TILL 2007... OH CRAP.....OH.... ITS A GLOBAL LAUNCH IN NOVEMBER ITS A GLOBAL LAUNCH IN NOVEMBER..."

Fixed.

Seriously, how many of us "people" do you think were expecting Spring yesterday? How may for the last few weeks at least? There was a lot of "concern" yesterday, to put it mildly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what gofreak said. Frankly the lack of concrete information plus increasingly reaching rumours put the willies up a lot of people. I think what you see in this thread is a big sigh of relief that they won't get a big delay for something they want to buy.

I don't see anybody stapled to KK's knob at all (well, not many)

Just like DCharlie says 'its supposed to be about the games, not fanboy ejaculation', well some people like the games on the PS1/PS2 and hope for that to continue on PS3. Doesn't make them all fanboys.

DCharlie

Seriously, how many of us "people" do you think were expecting Spring yesterday? How may for the last few weeks at least? There was a lot of "concern" yesterday, to put it mildly.

my point being is that after the 'it's definitely coming spring' - why would we now buy into what would still seem like a possibly problematic global launch in November?

It made a great case for delaying the Japanese debut - but at the end of the day, i think it's a delaying tactic. I think as we get closer to the launch, you'll see them reverse the global launch. But hey, that's just the sony hater in me.

rastex

Banned
DCharlie said:
my point being is that after the 'it's definitely coming spring' - why would we now buy into what would still seem like a possibly problematic global launch in November?

It made a great case for delaying the Japanese debut - but at the end of the day, i think it's a delaying tactic. I think as we get closer to the launch, you'll see them reverse the global launch. But hey, that's just the sony hater in me.

At this point I'd give it a 25% chance they hit Europe this year, and a 75% chance they get into NA.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:

I think it makes it less likely when we're down to a two week window with specific territories named, versus a season with no territories. The reason for the delay thankfully isn't a hardware one either, and PS3 should be more manufacturable in summer/fall than it would have been in winter/spring.

If you want my opinion, I think supply will be rocky. But I think they'll stick to the rollout.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The Experiment said:
Revolution's numbers look about right.

What? GC was able to go over 20 million with it's inferior Nintendo library and "kiddy" label. I think Rev has a shot at doing much better than just 17 million. Unless you're just going by history and just assuming that Nintendo will continue to lose market share.

DCharlie said:

I don't know, obviously you should never bet the farm on anything any of the big three say, but it seems like the natural progression to go from general to specific as more things come clear. When did they first say Spring 06? E3 2k5? Almosta year ago. Obviously it was a "best case scenario" where the BR shit they talked about didn't cause problems, etc, but it was still pretty general. They gave a season and a year, and didn't even say which region. Gamers understood it to be Japan because of Sony's past, the general news media assumed it was to be US - why announce a Japanese launch date at a US show?

Now we have a month, a day and more specifics regarding region (worldwide) and even projected shipment numbers. Sure, there still seems to be some confusion, but its barely 12 hours later. Wait for the post-show interviews with Kutaragi, Hirai, Harrison, etc.

Could they screw us in the end? Sure, but as an analogy, think about some big project you have a work. Its going to require lots of research and lots of information and imput from different departments. Your boss gives you the task to head up the whole works and give a presentation to the board and asks for a estimate for how long it will take. You draw up a roadmap with milestones at certain dates and say 3 months. You don't say "June 12th at 12:37pm". Maybe 1 month in the computers in Payroll crash and the info you needed will take longer, but you are remaining fluid. 2 months in, Payroll is figured out (but it ate time) but everything else is right on track and now you can narrow down a date for your boss.

Yeah, its a long analogy, but on the macro scale, it seems logical. You don't have to realistically worry about Sony announcing a huge delay at the 11th hour. Possible? yes. Probable? no.

Zapages

Confirmed for worldwide lauch for November by Thanksgiving...

It's Official: PS3 launching worldwide November 2006
[UPDATE] Sony confirms delay for next-gen console, says it will support an Xbox Live-like online gaming service; console will require a 60GB Linux HDD--but will it be sold separately?

TOKYO--Today at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutagari made it official--the PlayStation 3 has been delayed. The news confirmed widely circulated Japanese newspaper reports, which said that the delay was due to copyright-protection problems with the next-generation console's Blu-ray drive. For his part, Kutaragi would say only that the delay was due to "Blu-ray spec finalization."

Kutaragi told the crowd at the event that the PS3 would now launch in November 2006 worldwide. That dispelled fears that the console would make it to Japan by the fall but would miss the all-important holiday shopping season in the US and Europe. In fact, Kutaragi explicitly told the crowd of game retailers and journalists present that the PS3 would arrive before Thanksgiving in all territories.

Besides announcing the delay, Kutaragi made official another widely reported aspect of the PS3. He said that Sony is indeed preparing an Xbox Live-like online gaming service for the console, which would be called the "PlayStation Network Platform." Though he was short on specifics, the executive did say that currently Sony planned the "basic service"--which will allow online gameplay--will be "free." He also went on to outline the service in a fair amount of detail.

While the simultaneous tri-territory PS3 scheme may sound much like Microsoft's international launch of the Xbox 360, Sony plans to avoid the shortages that befell its competitor. Kutaragi said that the company plans on producing at least 1 million units of the console each month in order to keep the supply channel full. He said the goal was to ship 6 million PS3s worldwide by March 2007.

[UPDATE] The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5-inch hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would be loaded with the Linux operating system instead of Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it could be used as a "home server," could be directly connected to the Internet, and would be fully "upgradable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the hard drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive preinstalled. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

Kutaragi also said that PS3 games would be released only on Blu-ray discs, as DVDs have become too easy for software pirates to duplicate. The high-capacity format is capable of storing around 50GB on a single disc. Sony reps confirmed the PS3 will still play DVDs and CDs, as well as PS2 and PS discs, as previously announced.
By Tor Thorsen, Brendan Sinclair, Henry Niizumi -- GameSpot

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145972.html

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This thread last night was spectacular. Delay 'til November - "Best thing ever!" and "OZMG Microsoft and Nintendo is doomed!"

It lost its panache this morning. Needs more froth.

A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would be loaded with the Linux operating system instead of Microsoft's Windows OS.

Wow! Gamespot says they canceled Windows OS in PS3 in favor of Linux!!!!!1

DCharlie

I see your point and I think you are right. This will probably prove as typical Sony bullshit. I suggest everybody buy an Xbox360 asap.

sony fans should just stick with the PS2 and (if they can) get the awesome PSP instead.

If people want to try the next gen now and have the cash then, sure, get an X360.
I don't expect many sony fans to suddenly rush out and buy an X360 instead of enduring the wait.

Top Bottom