• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prepare Your Lamentations: "Twilight" Star Considered for "Conan" Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=16430&count=0

We've been hearing about a "Conan" remake for quite a while, and now it turns out that it may actually happen since Millennium Films is set to head into production on March 15th in Bulgaria with Marcus Nispel (Pathfinder, Friday the 13th) at the helm.

Since Arnold Schwarzenegger is not returning to reprise his role, the studio is forced to cast his replacement. Deadline Hollywood is reporting that there are two actors in the running.

First, there is Kellan Lutz, who plays Emmett Cullen in the "Twilight" franchise. Second is Jason Momoa, known for his role as Ronon Dex in the "Stargate: Atlantis" TV series. Apparently there is also a third actor being looked at, who is a bit better known.

LatinoReview confirmed the report, but claims that both Lutz and Momoa are not longer in the running. Stay tuned.

headline15235.jpg

CROM! :-(

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
heh heh. is hollywood this desperate? Can't they just hire Gary Whita to write them another sci fi script?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Stop killing my childhood! STOPIT!

JoeBoy101

otake said:
heh heh. is hollywood this desperate? Can't they just hire Gary Whita to write them another sci fi script?

I support this. Hell, get him to do the script for Conan. It would beat whatever quagmire of re-mediated amphibian shit they probably already have.

Ceres

Banned
So basically this is non news about how actors have been considered for the role but are no longer among the choices they are looking at?

JoeBoy101

Ceres said:
So basically this is non news about how actors have been considered for the role but are no longer among the choices they are looking at?

The other news stories aren't mentioning Latino Reviews story about it, so in lieu of, I'll go with Deadline Hollywood. Here's a couple others in case you think I'm being jumpy:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEgTFjgitAFrjo
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/whos-conan-the-barbarian-wheres-avi-lerners-co-ceo-and-indieprod-co-founder/

Hari Seldon

I might have to quit watching movies altogether if they do this. Just be done with hollywood completely. It has come to that point.

At one point it seemed like the Rock and Vin Diesel would be our last hopes for muscle bound action stars, but well we see how that turned out.

Hari Seldon

BattleMonkey said:
At one point it seemed like the Rock and Vin Diesel would be our last hopes for muscle bound action stars, but well we see how that turned out.

I wouldn't be too against this if they case one of those two, preferably Vin Diesel. But I still think they should just leave Arnold's movies alone. I'm completely sick of these dumbass remakes.

bengraven

I'll allow it.

I came in here with a wail, thinking it was that Taylor kid who plays the dog. I sighed relief, especially knowing they at one time considered Khal Drogo.

Updating this...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/co...extra-conan-s-father-could-be-a-wrestler-9032

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/01/jason-momoa-playing-conan-the-barbarian.html

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014163.html?categoryId=28&cs=1

Momoa set for 'Conan'; New barbarian set for franchise reboot

Jason Momoa ("Stargate Atlantis") has been tapped to star in the reboot of "Conan" for Nu Image/Millenium, Lionsgate and Paradox.

Production on the remake is expected to start in March in Bulgaria. Marcus Nispel will direct.

Fuaaaack! What's up with all these young'ns taking such legendary roles with HUGE shoes to fill?

Tom Hardy as Mad Max, insanely disappointing since Max would fuck Indy and Conan up. BUT he's a talented actor and with a bit of scruff he can pull it off.

THIS I do not buy though. From Arnold to this? Not a natural transition at all. And Arnold is...Arnold. Nobody like him.

Rorschach said:
The first link says Rourke is gonna play his dad? So this is a young Conan thang?
From one of the links it sounds like this is a remake of the first Conan movie... which, as good as it was, almost completely disregarded actual Conan lore as written by REH. I'm guessing we'll see Rourke deliver the "secret of steel" speech then.

Sigh...

As for the actual casting of Momoa, I can see it. Too many people have Schwarzenegger in mind when they think Conan, REH's character was big and powerful but very often described as "panther-like" which to me doesn't equate to overly developed musculature.

EDIT: What Dookkake said.

As much as I love the Arnold flicks (mostly just the first), this is a reminder to the youngins that Conan as written is not as generously proportioned as the Austrian Oak.

Narag

I don't think the visual genius & soundtrack that let the original movie go so dialogue-light would fly today nor would altering that result in anything close to the original work.

I'm a huge fan of anything Conan related, and while i'm sure it won't be a patch on the original i'm glad to see Jason Momoa pick up the role - he's a big guy and has quite a bit of experience with on-screen martial arts and swordfighting thanks to Stargate, plus his acting range doesn't really extend any further than 'pissed off muscle guy', so it's a good fit for the Conan role.

Bad idea. Isn't Millenium a really shitty studio with very scarce access to funds ? It's gonna end up being one of those low budget horrible made movies.

Narag said:
I don't think the visual genius & soundtrack that let the original movie go so dialogue-light would fly today nor would altering that result in anything close to the original work.

This man speaks the truth. Conan's soundtrack is amazing.

BattleMonkey said:

I know, wtf happened, especially The Rock. Man...then you add in Snipes getting his ass thrown in jail, it's like they're taking themselves out of the running just as this remakapalooza hits full steam.

tino

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
I know, wtf happened, especially The Rock. Man...then you add in Snipes getting his ass thrown in jail, it's like they're taking themselves out of the running just as this remakapalooza hits full steam.

He is busy doing Disney movies.

The Rock only does movies that contrast his physique.

Mr Mom, Tooth Fairy, Scorpion god, etc. Its like how Bradley cooper only plays the "best friend" in movies.

Salazar

It's a bit tragicomic that Hollywood can't get its balls together to make a Conan movie in which little girls won't get the hots for Conan.

Suairyu

Banned
The soundtrack to Conan The Barbarian is one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. I don't mean in an "it's awesome!" way; I mean in an "it's a genuinely brilliant work of composition" way. True story.

Drinking game I tried once with Conan but couldn't get past the halfway mark:
Take a shot for every instance of -
1 - The narrator adding unnecessary stress on a syllable.
2 - Arnold doing his "waaaugh, ai ai" in-pain noise.
3 - Arnold doing something ridiculously manly.

#1 means you're going to have consumed enough alcohol to be fucked by the end of the opening narration. The training montage is filled with instances of #2. And at the midway point of the film, Conan is drunk and punches a camel in the face, knocking it unconscious.

That's when you have to quit.

BattleMonkey said:

considering who is being considered (and eventually cast) these studios are making these movies on the cheap, probably couldn't even afford the Rock. He's making Disney money.

Snowden

Banned
otake said:
There's desperate, and then there's Gary Whitta.

I'll give you a chance here to pick which option is worse.

Karakand

Salazar said:
It's a bit tragicomic that Hollywood can't get its balls together to make a Conan movie in which little girls won't get the hots for Conan.
Is commercial art prostituting itself really that big a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom