• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Play: Xbox One GPU "very capable", will be competitive for many years

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a surprising announcement, Press Play have announced that Max: Curse of Brotherhood will be releasing tomorrow for Microsoft’s Xbox One. GamingBolt were able to get in touch with Press Play studio director, Mikkel Thorsted to get his thoughts on Xbox One’s GPU and whether it will stand the test of times in the coming years, especially given that PC gaming is growing at a faster pace.

He believes that the GPU is competitive and the console itself is versatile .

“The Xbox One’s GPU based on our experience is very capable and I think it will stay competitive for many years. Looking back at the Xbox 360 specs it stayed competitive for many years even though the specs on PC were much better. I also think there is a great future for a console being as versatile as the Xbox one. Not only does it support the widest possible definition of games, but it also works as the center of all entertainment in the living room,” he said to us.
Via Gaming Bolt

scsa

Aw Yiss!! Friday is here and so is the fun thread. Shinobi truly lives up to his avatar picture.

Let the resolution war begin.......again.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Press Play is not a Microsoft studio.

No? They should probably change their website then, it's very misleading.

Press Play is an award winning game development studio based in central Copenhagen. Since 2006 we have brought more than twenty games to multiple platforms for clients, publishers and ourselves. In 2012 our studio was acquired by Microsoft and we are now part of the Microsoft Studios family along with awesome studios like 343 Industries, Rare, Lionhead, Turn10 and Twisted Pixel. Our Copenhagen setup however is independent and not at all corporate. We work exclusively on Press Play IP.

We love the new and different as well as the popular. We love game mechanics and fun stories and we love combining them all in our titles. We strive to make our games like a great book, a catchy pop tune or the first kiss. Pop culture unfolded.

http://pressplay.dk/about/

Press Play is not a Microsoft studio.

press_playgssfx.png

FuuRe

with all the moneyhats and parity clauses and the like you can't really tell who's telling the truth anymore

i trust no one but mathematics

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Microsoft studio calls Microsoft product good non-shocker.

You don't say, developer-who's-days-away-from-launching-their-new-xbone-game.

Okay. We'll all assume from now on that you're going to give every positive Xbox One thread by a dev supporting that the GPU is okay similar drive by posts so you won't have to in future. That should save you a bit of time and minimal effort.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It does remind me of the good ol' days where developers like Shin'en came out telling us all that the Wii-U was wicked powerful and stuff.

Nintendo fans are too easily fooled though! ;)

Okay. We'll all assume from now on that you're going to give every positive Xbox One thread by a dev supporting that the GPU is okay similar drive by posts so you won't have to in future.

Drive-by? I'm right here, snookums!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It does remind me of the good ol' days where developers like Shin'en came out telling us all that the Wii-U was wicked powerful and stuff.

Drive-by? I'm right here, snookums!

Then don't do it. You're better then that.

i trust no one but mathematics

Rule of thumb is that you don't trust first-party devs or 3rd-party devs developing exclusive games for that platform when they give out these lame PR statements, especially when it's non-commital, broad and unspecific.

The only time an exception can be made is if they release technology presentation slides or tech deep dives that actually explain what how they've managed to maximise the power of the hardware, like GG's Shadowfall tech slides.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Okay. We'll all assume from now on that you're going to give every positive Xbox One thread by a dev supporting that the GPU is okay similar drive by posts so you won't have to in future. That should save you a bit of time and minimal effort.

If it makes you feel less bruised I feel exactly the same when I see quotes from Naughty Dog talking about how amazing PS4 is to work with or whatever. What else would they say? "Yeah we found it kind of difficult to work with actually and we still can't use the experimental rendering techniques we've been working on. Maybe next gen!"

ethomaz

Banned
Well MS Studio saying the GPU of MS product is "very capable".

Serious I expected more like "amazing powerful"

FranXico

I agree, it is capable. It's just that there is another console that is even more capable. That does not mean people will not be able enjoy their games on the Xbone, though.

But yeah, MS developer praises MS console shocker.

360 shouldn't have lasted as long as it did and that's even with a fairly good gpu for the time. The xbones gpu is positively woeful in comparison and its insulting to constantly hear how capable it is from MS mouthpieces.

JaggedSac

Or the Resogun devs, I think we had a couple threads about what those guys were saying. So annoying hearing PR from devs like that.

Shin-Ra

Not only does it support the widest possible definition of games
Depending on your definition of definition, this could actually be true.. for consoles, at this moment in time.

But I don't think they meant that definition. ;)

NeoROCK

"competitive" is the nice way of saying "not nearly as good as PS4, but good enough for people who don't want the best version of every multiplat game"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom