• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

BlizzKrut

Banned
Anybody tried to run this on the minimum specs? I've only got a 7850 so I'm curious over if I'd be better picking this up on PS4.

I've got the same as you, I'm confident we can run this fine, as others have mentioned, the game isn't loading very high-resolution textures, and it's mostly enclosed spaces.

Paragon

Did a little testing with the FOV option in the config file.
The maximum value is 120, and it's a true HFOV control - which is not ideal, since that means the height is cropped the wider you go.
I prefer a 74° VFOV in all games, which requires a 122° HFOV on a 24:10 display.
106° HFOV 16:9 (74° VFOV)
106-swlizck.png

106° HFOV 24:10 (58° VFOV) - cropped image.
106-uwipxbv.png

120° HFOV 24:10 (72° VFOV) - very slightly cropped image.
120-uwl5y3e.png
The viewmodel doesn't seem to scale with FOV at all, so the weapons are going to remain giant no matter what you set the FOV to - though the 24:10 aspect ratio helps a little.

Arkanius

My settings don't save and I can't start the game, says that there are no Users logged in and the game crashes

Wut?

this may be stupid but is there xbox controller support? mine isn't being recognised as a controller.

nvm restart fixed it. Nope restart did not fix it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The maximum value is 120, and it's a true HFOV control - which is not ideal, since that means the height is cropped the wider you go.
I prefer a 74° VFOV in all games, which requires a 122° HFOV on a 24:10 display.

The viewmodel doesn't seem to scale with FOV at all, so the weapons are going to remain giant no matter what you set the FOV to - though the 24:10 aspect ratio helps a little.

Oh man, I hate the massive item models.

At least good that we're able to change the FOV itself.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My settings don't save and I can't start the game, says that there are no Users logged in and the game crashes

Wut?

Sounds like some sort of permissions issue. Does the game work if you right-click the executable and run it as an admin? It's tucked away under SteamApps\common\Prey\Binaries\Danielle\x64\Release.

GavinUK86

Strange. The first picture here is the default FOV and the second is when I changed it to 90. Nothing's cropped. Unless it only crops super wide resolutions and not standard 16:9 ones.

Arkanius

Sounds like some sort of permissions issue. Does the game work if you right-click the executable and run it as an admin? It's tucked away under SteamApps\common\Prey\Binaries\Danielle\x64\Release.

No. Same thing.
Also my Profiles folder
C:\Users\André\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\Profiles

Only has the default folder inside.

Tow

Neo Member
Anyone running at 4K with a 1070? Still on the fence about whether or not to get it on PC or PS4 Pro. Hoping to get a steady 60fps with any settings on my 1070.

GavinUK86

Anyone running at 4K with a 1070? Still on the fence about whether or not to get it on PC or PS4 Pro. Hoping to get a steady 60fps with any settings on my 1070.

60fps is pretty easy. 30 at 4K should be doable with a 1070.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wish it wasn't that, since there is no easy way to fix it without fucking my windows installation :(

Can you not make another admin account? Having to switch accounts just to play one game isn't ideal, but it's only a minor inconvenience.

4k may not be perfect but you're going to run it a hell of a lot better on 1070 than a PS4 Pro, since PS4 Pro is still locked at 30.

Eusis

Anyone with lower end GPUs? I am curious to see if it'd be fine on the 960m despite the requirements, but short of looking to see how Homefront did there's really nothing to go off of.

d00d3n

Anyone else getting a displaced mouse pointer when trying DSR resolutions? The mouse pointer UI element is in one position, but the effective point that you have to place over things you want to click on is invisible and displaced downward and to the right. I have no issues at all in my native resolution of 2560*1080, but DSR resolutions don't work. Maybe a 21:9 bug?

Paragon

Strange. The first picture here is the default FOV and the second is when I changed it to 90. Nothing's cropped. Unless it only crops super wide resolutions and not standard 16:9 ones.
Because it is an HFoV control rather than a VFoV control, the wider the display gets the more the height will be cropped.
90° HFoV:
4:3 display (1920x1440)
prey-90-43w0y3c.jpg

16:9 display (2560x1440)
prey-90-169dclxd.jpg

24:10 display (3440x1440)
prey-90-2410twzgb.jpg

As the aspect ratio gets wider, the height is cut shorter.
If you keep the aspect ratio the same, you aren't going to see this.

With an HFoV control, you need to increase the FoV as the aspect ratio gets wider.
90° HFoV on a 4:3 display becomes 106° on a 16:9 display and 122° on a 24:10 display - but Prey's limit is 120°.

If the game used VFoV instead, you would just choose 74° VFoV and all three aspect ratios would provide the same height image - they'd just get wider.

Tabasco

I guess the review embargo lifts tomorrow?

Was hoping to pull the trigger after seeing a good consensus but oh well.

I might wait anyway just to play the PC version after improvement updates and whatnot.

GavinUK86

Because it is an HFoV control rather than a VFoV control, the wider the display gets the more the height will be cropped.
90° HFoV:

With an HFoV control, you need to increase the FoV as the aspect ratio gets wider.
90° HFoV on a 4:3 display becomes 106° on a 16:9 display and 122° on a 24:10 display - but Prey's limit is 120°.

If the game used VFoV instead, you would just choose 74° VFoV and all three aspect ratios would provide the same height image - they'd just get wider.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean now. I misunderstood.

I guess the review embargo lifts tomorrow?

Was hoping to pull the trigger after seeing a good consensus but oh well.

I might wait anyway just to play the PC version after improvement updates and whatnot.

There is no embargo. No one got review copies.

90° HFoV:

It's a shame that UW users have to trade vertical FOV for horizontal FOV, but hopefully Arkane patches in better control over the FOV at a later date. In the meantime I just hope that the sacrifice in vertical FOV won't impede me too badly.

Arkanius

I managed to get the game working for me.
Created a config file manually from some other user config and managed to save my settings that way.

Thoughts:

Playing at 1440p with a 1080 Ti and everything maxed. So far, it runs at a locked 140 FPS
The port seems fantastic so far.

Top Bottom