• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince's Sign O' The Times is the best double album ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Double album as a thing is so weird due to the change in medium from vinyl to cassette to CD and now to digital.

I mean compare run times of 3 albums in this thread.

Sign of the Times - 79:52
London Calling - 65:07
The Fragile - 103:39

Such varried run times.

Just a general comment.

vulva

I love DDN and want it on vinyl.

I have it on wax along with most Sonic Youth actually. Nothing against Sign O The Times, btw, just when I think best double album my mind immediately goes to DDN. Not even my fav Sonic Youth album but it's still pretty much perfect in every way.

What about lose your illusions 1 and 2????

Was that a double album or something else? I just remember it having some great songs!

All eyes on me from 2pac was great to.

I have it on wax along with most Sonic Youth actually. Nothing against Sign O The Times, btw, just when I think best double album my mind immediately goes to DDN. Not even my fav Sonic Youth album but it's still pretty much perfect in every way.

Don't worry about it. It's an amazing lp. I never considered it a double though because I've got it on cd.

I HAD to make an HD version of this.

tCYsrUt.gif

Moppeh

Banned
I'm going to be honest.

I like Pink Floyd.

But The Wall is trash outside of a few stand outs.

I'm the same way. There's some great material in The Wall but Roger's over involvement really bogs it down. Overly operatic and too on-the-nose lyrically.

A top 5 double albums for me would be like:

1. White Album
2. London Calling
3. Bitches Brew
4. Exile to Main Street
5. Blonde on Blonde

Sign O' The Times would probably be sixth.

No love for Springsteen's The River? Sign O the Times is good, OP, but too close to call.

I tend to think double albums are highly flawed and generally...just bloated and often bad.

For me it's not close. I think the closest I can think is either Electric Ladyland and Songs In The Key Of Life.

Did you check out that link?

YES. I have a growing Prince folder and it's getting very...endowed. Thanks <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom