• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince's Sign O' The Times is the best double album ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be honest.

I like Pink Floyd.

But The Wall is trash outside of a few stand outs.
You are not wrong, my friend. You are not wrong at all.

I recently re-listened to it after a number of years just to make sure I thought that same thing. Comfortably Numb is one of the best songs of all time, and there are a few other really good songs, but the rest is just bleh.

Spinluck

Great to see OP loving Prince now.

I didn't realize how great he was until I was like 20 and started listening to real music.

Meowster

I would have to agree - so much greatness bouncing from track to track. Now I'm gonna go play "If I Was Your Girlfriend."

It is one of the sexiest songs I've ever heard. It want IT too, Prince!

ImifIZf.gif
I hate that IT never ends up on these lists and (trash like) Starfish & Coffee always does. IT is the jam. Especially the little guitar solo. Good on ya for recognizing its slayage. My other faves are ICNTTPOYM and IGBABN.

Have you been getting into concert material and unreleased material yet? I came across this tumblr the other day with tons of illicit links.

Most influential double albums for me are:

Original:

mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-sadness-cover-art.jpg

Compilation:

Woodstock-94-logo.jpg

I didn't like Prince when I was younger, but god damn it Sign O' The Times is amazing. Easily top 20 albums for me. If you rank it #1, your opinion is not wrong.

Mellon Collie by a distance for me.

Sign of the Times is great but it's nowhere near the consistent diversity and excellence of something like Mellon Collie.

jwhit28

I always liked R. Kelly's "R." Album. Half on a Baby, When a Women's Fed Up, I'm your Angel with Celine Dion, We Ride with Camron and Jay Z, Money Makes the World Go Round with Nas. One of my favorite double albums.

MrS

Banned
It was the Wall, it is the Wall and it will always be the Wall.
Agreed

Sign o' The Times is phenomenal though. Adore is, and forever will be, the jam
Mellon Collie is great too, obviously.

Going to throw Physical Graffiti in to the mix because it's a great Zep album and has one of my favourite songs on it - Ten Years Gone

i wouldn't disagree with this opinion

you could also make a case for 1999 as well

ummagumma is the better pink floyd double album tbh

can's tago mago, pil metal box, rolling stones exile, jimi hendrix electric lady land, sonic youth daydream nation are pretty good too

Ahasverus

No it isn't. Stop making self congratulatory blank statement with no room for discussion.

And yes, The Wall is the musicaly richer album. It's just more complex, but equally good.

I hate that IT never ends up on these lists and (trash like) Starfish & Coffee always does. IT is the jam. Especially the little guitar solo. Good on ya for recognizing its slayage. My other faves are ICNTTPOYM and IGBABN.

Have you been getting into concert material and unreleased material yet? I came across this tumblr the other day with tons of illicit links.

Honey you need to let mama know when you find gold. 😭

It is amazing. Its tone treating it like it's some horror song? The lyrics? The guitars? Incredible song.

Soundtracks for the Blind is probably my favourite album of all time, so by that virtue it'd have to be my favourite double album as well.

phanphare

Banned
No it isn't. Stop making self congratulatory blank statement with no room for discussion.

And yes, The Wall is the musicaly richer album. It's just more complex, but equally good.

"musically richer" you say? somehow I think you'd have an extremely hard time qualifying that statement.

Haha. And saying that The Wall is better than anything Prince ever did isn't a blanket self congratulatory statement with no room for discussion?

Musically richer? The Wall does not touch on the diversity of topics in Sign O The Times, and Pink Floyd's discography is not as musically diverse in terms of skill nor genre as Prince's. Let's see Pink Floyd make a song like Housequake.

What was that Prince quote? About how he can play rock but they [rock stars] can't play Housequake?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
God I feel like an idiot, how could I forget Exile and Physical Graffiti?

The Wall isnt as good as its reputation would lead you to think. Its so theatrical and excessive it just winds up making it a chore to listen to. I'm saying that as PF fan too.

Also, as much as I worship In Rainbows I dont think its a double album. Yeah, yeah the second disc, I'm aware. Typically double albums dont come with optional second halfs. Plus if you really listen to it you can tell none of those tracks were given the same care from a production standpoint as the main album. They sound nearly like demos.

zero_suit

Haha. And saying that The Wall is better than anything Prince ever did isn't a blanket self congratulatory statement with no room for discussion?

Musically richer? The Wall does not touch on the diversity of topics in Sign O The Times, and Pink Floyd's discography is not as musically diverse in terms of skill nor genre as Prince's. Let's see Pink Floyd make a song like Housequake.

What was that Prince quote? About how he can play rock but they [rock stars] can't play Housequake?

Very few artists/bands can compete with Prince's discography.

vulva

What constitutes the title double album? Is it run time or what? I own this on CD and its a single disc.

When it was released it was put out as a double album, so I'll always count it as one. Because of the nature of length constraints, it was written and designed around that limitation in mind so I can't help but count it.

Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld would like to have a word....

The_Orb_-_Adventures_Beyond_the_Ultraworld.jpg

Undoubtedly the best ambient album ever, and I think also the best double album overall.

This guy knows what's up. Love Floyd, Prince, Led Zep and all that good classic stuff, but The Orb's double album is a true sonic adventure.

Onemic

Musically richer and The Wall do not go together. Musically, The Wall is one of Pink Floyds worst album period. The Wall is lyrically rich, not musically rich. So much so that the music takes a step back to what Waters wants to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom