• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems connecting to Nintendo Wifi

0OoO0

Just got a Nintendo DS lite with Animal Crossing, so I wanted to check out the online play.

I tried searching for an Access Point but the message says "No access point in range. Move within range"

I am using D-Link Wireless ADSL Router (DSL-G604T) with windows 98.

These are my current settings in my router:

router7no.jpg

What do I need to change?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Seems like a common issue with that router

Solution is in this thread. :)

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=110551&thread=666

I've had the same problem - I'm in the UK with a US copy of MK, and the DS just doesn't find the g604t. I tried d-link support last night without much luck, part of the reason I bought d-link instead of netgear was at the time their phone support was still UK based, I think this may now have changed! (something like, me: 'there are many posts on forums with people having the same problem with this specific router'.... 'so your other wireless pc's work?'... 'it must be a problem with this computer'... me: 'but it's not a computer it's a games console - the nintendo ds'.... 'it must be because of this linux'... me: 'no the nintendo doesn't use linux, thats my other pc's and they are working fine'... 'we can't help this linux'.... me: 'the Australian version worked after a firmware upgrade, could I use the australian firmware'... 'NO! you must only use fiormware for your region'... me: 'I think you have failed to grasp what i'm saying, this service officially launches at the end of the week in the UK, *many* more people will contact you then with the same problem, i'll call again when you have recognised that there is an issue with this router'.... 'ok')

Anyway, feeling reckless I tried the EU firmware, but it would not install (i got the 'no magic number' error), so then I did the only thing d-link support were certain i shouldn't do and installed the Australian firmware (v2.00B02, http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/routers/dslg604t.htm ). I had to use the 'corrupt install' tickbox, and I really thought it may be dead when it sat with a stationary progress bar for a couple of minutes, but eventually it installed. I changed my network settings to connect to it (it defaults to 10.1.1.1, instead of the UK versions 192.168.1.1), then had to set up all the ADSL settings more manually than usual (so note them down before hand!).

Next I tried the DS, and surprise surprise it worked, detecting it first time.

So, in summary, my g604t (UK model) is now running the .au firmware (Firmware Version : V2.00B02.AU), it's working fine with BTOpenWorld ADSL and on my network (wired and wireless connections) and it is now detected by the DS. However, upgrading to the .au firmware seems a risky strategy, and I wasn't entirely confident doing it, also it claims that you cannot downgrade once you've upgraded - so doing this would be entirely at your own risk!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
oh my god making my ds work with my d-link router was ****ing hell. I never wanna do that again

Nutter

ColdBlooded33 said:
oh my god making my ds work with my d-link router was ****ing hell. I never wanna do that again
Really? I have a D-link 525 wireless router, and it found the network on first try and the entire process i would say took no more than a few minutes.

WalkMan

Banned
Wario64 said:
I wish Nintendo Wi-Fi would support WPA. Clearly Nintendo hates freedom....argh
I wish the Nintendo DS supported 802.11g. Clearly Nintendo hates freedom....argh

0OoO0

In step 7,

(Now the slightly tricky bit:
- The readme says to change your computers IP address to the following:
- IP ADDRESS 10.1.1.5
- SUBNET MASK 255.0.0.0
- DEFAULT GATEWAY 10.1.1.1)

to change these settings, one would normally go to My Network Places to do this. But since I'm using windows 98 how can I change it when there is no my network places/ network connections. All I can find is, the icon Network on the control panel and when I click on it this comes out:

network9ov.jpg

???

xsarien

daedsiluap
0OoO0 said:
In step 7,

(Now the slightly tricky bit:
- The readme says to change your computers IP address to the following:
- IP ADDRESS 10.1.1.5
- SUBNET MASK 255.0.0.0
- DEFAULT GATEWAY 10.1.1.1)

to change these settings, one would normally go to My Network Places to do this. But since I'm using windows 98 how can I change it when there is no my network places/ network connections. All I can find is, the icon Network on the control panel and when I click on it this comes out:

[image snipped]
???

The problem is between your access point and the DS, adjusting anything on the computer will do absolutely nothing.

(Check that box.)

Don't worry, not being able to connect on your first couple of attempts makes you human. Anyone who can figure out that cluster**** of a service in one try is pretty cool.

0OoO0

I don't know if it's broadcasting on G or B. How can I check?

Note: Not very good at computers, that's why I stick to consoles :)

xsarien

daedsiluap
0OoO0 said:
I don't know if it's broadcasting on G or B. How can I check?

Note: Not very good at computers, that's why I stick to consoles :)

Check the Advanced tab in the menu. There should be a drop-down called "b/g mode." It looks like the factory default is "Mixed," which - while I've never actually tried it - could maybe kinda sorta (I honestly don't know) confuse the terribly fragile super-basic WHY GOD NINTENDO WHY DS WLAN receiver.

Set it to B only and see if that kicks it in.

0OoO0

xsarien, I've searched everywhere but I couldn't find this "b/g mode"

And yeah, I was planning to upgrade but having problems finding the options to change IP address (see post #10)

fushi

Hit the Properties on the TCP/IP protocol that is used by your network adapter, should be there (at least in xp it is).

xsarien

daedsiluap
fushi said:
Hit the Properties on the TCP/IP protocol that is used by your network adapter, should be there (at least in xp it is).

That's just going to change the settings for his PC's network adapter, not the access point.

bluemax

Banned
Wario64 said:
I wish Nintendo Wi-Fi would support WPA. Clearly Nintendo hates freedom....argh

I wish the WiFi adapter worked with more types of USB. Thankfully someone in my building has unsecured WiFi for me to leech this summer.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
0OoO0 said:
This is bull****!

Why does it have to be my brand of router that doesn't work?

Ugh!

*gives up*

Well, my router is compatible but only if I turn off WEP encryption (I'm using WPA right now). Screw that...does Nintendo think I'm crazy?

demi

I'm on WiFi right now, ooo I'm so adventurous

And I lost a game of Tetris... but at least he doesn't get the satisfaction of knowing that, for my connection has mysteriously logged me off!

People still use Win98?

j/k... call Nintendo's wifi customer service number. The reps are really good at getting it up and running. They are on a different line then the regular CSR's so they are more technical.

1-800-895-1672

Top Bottom