• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

uncdeez said:
As for Dream Theater I'm gonna guess that you don't have When Dream and Day Unite (you're not really missing anything), Falling into Infinity (which is only really worth getting for Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand), and Awake (which is one of their better albums).

You didn't mention Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence either which is one of their best albums. A Change of Seasons is worth getting for it's title track, which is probably their best 'epic song' (by epic I mean over 20 minutes long). I'd also recommend getting the Score DVD. It's got the best versions of a lot of great Dream Theater songs (the Under A Glass Moon version off of score makes the I&W version obsolete IMO). I know you said you didn't like Octavarium but if you don't like The Root of All Evil after seeing them play it live then you should turn in your prog-nerd badge. I'd also recommend the Live at Budokan DVD but seeing as how you don't like Train of Thought then you will probably want to skip this one.

You underestimate me as a DT fan.

I do have Falling Into Infinity (Peruvian Skies!) and Awake (awesome stuff). Don't have Dream and Day Unite though.

I thought Six Degrees was decent. Glass Prison is fucking awesome but the rest of the first disc is crap. Second disc took a while to get into but now I do listen to it occasionally. I have Change of Seasons as well and I think it's decent. As far as epic tracks go, I far prefer In the Presence of Enemies Part 2.

And yes, I have the Score DVD. And the Budokan one. And the I&W one.

And yes, I have actually seen Root of All Evil live. And I mean, not on a DVD but in an actual live concert. I still don't like it.

I think DT's latest album, Systematic Chaos, is pretty good actually. Ministry of Lost Souls and In The Presence of Enemies Part 2 are easily in the top ten, and maybe even top five of my favourite DT songs.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
maynerd said:
How does one define progressive rock?
i said it on the first page.

for those of you who don't know, as i've noticed in this thread, progressive music is marked by continuous progressive shifts in beat, measure, and time signature and often incorporates experimental and complex musical stylings. i has nothing to do with actual instrumental content.
it's a technical style to music, not an aesthetic style like most other genres.

again, i'm still shocked at the lack of Tool love in this thread. they're easily one of the best progressive acts in the past 20 years

maynerd

Banned
doomed1 said:
i said it on the first page.

it's a technical style to music, not an aesthetic style like most other genres.

again, i'm still shocked at the lack of Tool love in this thread. they're easily one of the best progressive acts in the past 20 years

I read what you quoted....however I'm not musically inclined. I just like music. The things you said are somewhat technical in nature. I'm a tard when it comes to that stuff.

And for the record I love TOOL.

eso76

Endow said:
What motivated you to say that? I've actually already check one of these albums( borrowed the Frost* album from a friend and plan on checking a couple of other bands.)

Well, not you, you're the thread starter, you asked for suggestions and i would expect you to actually check the tracks people suggested :)
I would just expect more comments following posts suggesting youtube links (which makes listening to any song very quick and easy). General lack of makes me think people are more concerned about posting their own list than reading others', that's the impression i sometimes get. Might be wrong of course.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
maynerd said:
I read what you quoted....however I'm not musically inclined. I just like music. The things you said are somewhat technical in nature. I'm a tard when it comes to that stuff.

And for the record I love TOOL.
that explains your name :lol

anyway, Tool is perhaps one of the more accessible prog bands because the tone and themes of their songs are generally more complex and deep and make listening to the longer guitar riffs more worth the time. then again, they don't come very recommended for easy listening. most other prog bands like Dream Theater have an older, but lighter sound than Tool, which is mainly why i don't listen to other prog bands very often, it just puts me to sleep.

iamblades

genjiZERO said:
So I've never really understood what "prog rock" was supposed to be. I know Rush and Pink Floyd get thrown around as the quintessentials... but stylistically I don't see how they are similar. Also what's the real difference between prog rock and math rock?

It's not really about the aesthetics of the music. The style and sound of the music have absolutely nothing to do with whether you can call something prog or not.

Although some people call the 68-74 era music(the stuff with mellotrons and flutes and violins and stuff, as seen in KC, Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis, etc.) 'prog' while everything that was influenced by that but with a different sound due to the introduction of modern synths among other technological changes (plus metal and punk influenced a lot of later prog so it sounds a lot different) gets the full progressive rock label.

Not sure I buy the distinction though, but it makes sense for people who just want to say 'i like this band, what are other bands that sound like them'.

Pink Floyd to me was always more of a psychadellic/acid rock band. They got fairly progressive in the early to mid 70s, but they were always a psych band at heart.

As for math rock, that is kind of like an offshoot of prog dedicated to focus on one specific aspect of the music, the crazy complex rhythms. Of course it has developed into its own little subgenre so not all math rock is prog anymore.

Mission

uncdeez said:
For PT get the last 3 albums. In Absentia is a really mellow album, Deadwing is their hardest album (but not really a metal album) and Fear of a Blank Planet is the tits. The only real downside to Fear of a Blank Planet is that it's too short. In my opinion Deadwing is their best album although I haven't really gotten to deep into their earlier stuff.

Deadwing definitely does it for me. About FOBP, that's why Nil Recurring is so essential. It's the rest of the album. Normal is a sister to Sentimental. Granted I prefer Normal, but they are kinda two parts of the same song.

and I love We Lost the Skyline's version of Normal. Its acoustic, but its amazing how well they identified the most accessible part of the song.

samratty

Prog I like:
King Crimson (Obviously)
Floyd (although I wouldn't put them under the traditional prog stock)
Alphataurus
Goblin
Aphrodite's Child (Vangelis' and Demis Roussos band, yes really Demis Roussos :D)
Gentle Giant
Caravan
Egg
Khan
Camel
Gong
Van Der Graff Generator
ELP (The early stuff is good before it got overly pompous, although that's still enjoyable)
Museo Rosenbach
Kenso (Japanese Prog)
Antonius Rex
Fusioon
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso

Prog/psych:
Soft Machine
Locomotive (prog/psych)
Os Mutantes
The Nice (Keith Emerson's psych/prog band before ELP)

And tonnes of other crap I can't think of off the top of my head.

Prog metals not really my shit but I suppose I like Opeth and Dream Theatre. Tool and Mastadon if they count too.

eso76

samratty said:
Prog I like:
Aphrodite's Child (Vangelis' and Demis Roussos band, yes really Demis Roussos :D)
Caravan
ELP (The early stuff is good before it got overly pompous, although that's still enjoyable)

Prog/psych:
Soft Machine
The Nice (Keith Emerson's psych/prog band before ELP)

Damn, i forgot aphrodite's child.
i mentioned Demis Roussos in another thread. A lot of people probably know him as an ugly overweight guy who sings romanze with lots of gorgheggio and vibrato in french (english, italian too) kinda like Julio Iglesias (only cheesier) but when Roussos did Rock and prog rock with Vangelis...man, what an **unbelievable** voice. So different. Such a huge loss for rock when he decided to go the Iglesias route on a solo career.

props for mentioning the others i quoted

Bildi

Zio said:
Jordan Rudess's solo work (Dream Theater's current keyboardist) is quite rockin' as well. He just came out with a new solo album The Road Home, where he covered the progressive rock songs that inspired him and introduced him to the new music. I highly reccomend it! Very nicely done...
I haven't heard his solo work. This should really change.

gandm

Thanks to whoever recommended Frost*, they really are amazing (I have this clip on repeat right now and the CD is on its way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3JMIAPIpDg).

Oh and since nobody has mentioned them yet: The Pineapple Thief. If you look for a place to start I'd recommend "Variatons on Dream".

7fb4a2c008a01a0d395d2010._AA240_.L.jpg

Ceres

Banned
Fenix said:
:eek:

That was GREAT, can't wait to see them in May.

I haven't decided if I'm going to go to that show or not. I'm going to be busy that weekend but it's actually a nearby show unlike all other shows I'm attending this year so far (going to see Pagan Fest in Montreal this weekend).

And Devin needs to come out of "retirement." I want to see DTB again. He can even just perform the entirity of Ziltoid live and release a DVD of it.

A step beyond progressive, anyone listen to any avant-garde? I really enjoy Unexpect and Diablo Swing Orchestra.

Jethro

Strange that this thread has come to an end. Time to bump this up!.

Well, iam loving Progressive Rock in general and my alltime favorite Band is Jethro Tull (look at ma avatar).

For just five years ago I came in contact with that kind music, as a good friend of mine (a metalhead) showed me The Human Equation from Ayreon. I was really blown away. The compositions, the selections of singers, the plot, all was so damn fine executed.

Thanks to Ayreon I came in contact with Dream Theater, Opeth, Dead Soul Tribe and Devin Townend.

Since then i'm searching for new great bands. A good place to go is http://www.progarchives.com.

For 2009 i'm waiting for the new Porcupine Tree, Phideaux(one of my best detection) and of course the new Dream Theater Album.

To end this post I show the obligatory Bandlisting:

Anathema
Ayreon
Blackfield
Communic
Dead Soul Tribe
Devin Townsend
Dream Theater
Enchant
Ephrat
Gazpacho
Jethro Tull
Neal Morse
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Phideaux
Porcupine Tree
Pure Reason Revolution
Tool
Transatlantic

I just don't get how artists like Dream Theater, Opeth, Devin Townsend, etc. are considered prog rock. It's metal. And the term "prog metal" makes no sense at all - true metal has always been bombastic and epic in its delivery. That being said, I love these bands.

slightly off topic: "Awake" by Dream Theater is one of my all time favorite albums. Anything out there thats kinda like that album? Since that album is so different from DT:s other albums.

I looooooooooooove Porcupine Tree and i've been trying to find a band that is similar in style. I tried out some of the others in this thread a while back, like Dream Theater and Opeth and they weren't for me. I can't stand full on metal with overbearing vocals. Anyone got any recommendations?

Jethro

Spotless Mind said:
I looooooooooooove Porcupine Tree and i've been trying to find a band that is similar in style. I tried out some of the others in this thread a while back, like Dream Theater and Opeth and they weren't for me. I can't stand full on metal with overbearing vocals. Anyone got any recommendations?

Well, the easiest recommendation would be Steven Wilson's Solo Album-Insurgentes or you try out his sideproject Blackfield with Aviv Geffen. Good Music, but not as complex as Porcupine Tree. If you prefer more 'clear' vocalsin general, check out Anathema-A fine Day to exit :D.

Truant

Progressive rock has become such a mockery of itself. Whatever happened to actual progression in terms of composition, soundscapes and ideas? It's like how 'indie' now reflects a certain sound, istead of actual independent music. I want actual progression, not the same old cheese-fest Dream Theater sound.

I would say Kayo Dot, Extra Life, Tera Melos, The Mars Volta are much more progressive than any band mentioned in this thread, even though they're labled as something completely different.

Just my two cents, don't get upset.

PjotrStroganov said:
Focus

I don't know if anyone outside Holland still remembers them but in the 70's they were also quite famous abroad. I remember being blown away after hearing Hocus Pocus for the first time during music class.

Silvia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v7LzOeTkfM&feature=related

Hocus Pocus (Thijs' expression is just priceless:D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

Good pick... Focus is great.

Camel is another European Prog Rock band that I love. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTVnCyDoQlQ&feature=related

As far as bands I don't think anyone has mentioned yet:

If you like more the idea of classical baroque combined with rock:

Procol Harum

("A Salty Dog" is considered one of the first true Prog. Rock songs, with it's use of sound effects, arrangement and interesting narrative. )

If you like more Jazzy/fusion based stuff:

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report

General other prog. rock* bands of note not yet mentioned:

Stark Reality (Maybe more of a fusion band, but great stuff with their reinterpretations of Hoagy Carmichael's kid's songs)
Traffic
triumvirat
Happy The Man
Mercury Rev
Fiery Furnaces (maybe more indie)
Moody Blues (more mainstream)

*Disclaimer: Interpretations of what exactly is and isn't prog rock vary. Listen at your own discretion.

Shadrock said:
here's a progressive metal band that not many people have heard about:

Spheric Universe Experience

http://www.imeem.com/crow13/music/yaYrYf3b/spheric_universe_experience_black_materia/

Here's a song off of their latest album called "Black Materia"

It's one of my favorite progressive metal tracks have a listen

I mentioned these guys earlier in the topic. :D

They have a new album coming out in May. Cant fucking wait.

I'd like to add Anubis Gate also(not their first album). Their album Andromeda Unchained is secks. They also have a new album coming in May.

Raistlin

Truant said:
Progressive rock has become such a mockery of itself. Whatever happened to actual progression in terms of composition, soundscapes and ideas? It's like how 'indie' now reflects a certain sound, istead of actual independent music.

That kind of happens to all genres. Just look at 'pop'. That was originally meant to refer to popular music. ie. mainstream, top 40's, etc. It was really just a measure of commercial success, not a descriptor for style.

Nirvana was 'pop' once Teen Spirit hit. :p Obviously now though, pop refers to an actual stylistic genre of music.

I looooooooooooooooove prog rock and will be investigating some of these bands tonight. I personally love The Mars Volta (have all their cds and countless live bootlegs) Tool, Pink Floyd and a little bit of Dream Theater on occasion.

Captain N. Tenneal said:
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Hells yes!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
does Helium count as "prog"? i don't really ascribe to labels as closely as some others, but i have heard that name banded about in reference. probly my favorite band in highschool

2nqyyhj.jpg

Krowley

My favorite band of all time is Yes. I've been a prog fan for a long time. Dream Theater is the first band that got me into it, but now I like some of the old stuff even more, specifically Yes, and old Genesis and Frank Zappa. I also love king crimson and Focus, Gentle Giant and enjoy some Kansas music that's on the artier side (like the albums leftoverture and song for America).

If your a prog fan, there are some jazz bands like the Dixie Dregs that you should hear. I got into prog partly because I'm a guitarist and the music is so inventive and technical and unlimited. Some fusion bands, like the dregs for example, are definitely compatible with that tradition.

This isn't "Metal" prog and it isn't quite Pink Floyd prog either... it's very eclectic and VERY good.

This was released in January. It's called Mantis by Umphrey's McGee. I strongly recommend you obtain it by any means possible.

Umphrey%27s+McGee+-+2009+Mantis.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Spotless Mind said:
OSI's second album, Free, is probably exactly what you're looking for. I would also recommend looking into Pendragon and IQ.

Ceres said:
I soooooo cannot wait to see them in September.

I had TOTALLY dismissed Pagan's Mind prior to seeing them at ProgPower USA (their most recent one (two years ago?). They BLEW me away. Jorn Viggo is just an incredible guitarists, in a very non-over-the-top way. Man, can they put on a show...their Bowie cover, 'Hello, Spaceboy', just blew the roof off, I thought. And their last two albums are some of the best stuff out there...

Ceres

Banned
sparky2112 said:
I had TOTALLY dismissed Pagan's Mind prior to seeing them at ProgPower USA (their most recent one (two years ago?). They BLEW me away. Jorn Viggo is just an incredible guitarists, in a very non-over-the-top way. Man, can they put on a show...their Bowie cover, 'Hello, Spaceboy', just blew the roof off, I thought. And their last two albums are some of the best stuff out there...

Yeah, I saw them there and they're coming back this year. Plus they're joining up with Circus Maximus for an acoustic set but I probably won't be going to that.

King's X is probably my favorite. I got all into prog rock and didn't listen to anything but prog rock for a long time and then I finally just got so sick of it and went to the Beatles and frank Zappa.

I think that's why I like King's X so much because they keep it in perspective and its still freaking rock and roll. Their last album is actually pretty good, but nothing comes close to "Faith Hope Love".

teruterubozu said:
I just don't get how artists like Dream Theater, Opeth, Devin Townsend, etc. are considered prog rock. It's metal. And the term "prog metal" makes no sense at all - true metal has always been bombastic and epic in its delivery. That being said, I love these bands.
It takes a progressive approach towards metal. If the term "prog metal" doesn't fit a band like Opeth, "Death Metal" fits them even less. Dream Theater used to be far less of a metal band (and far better) than they are now. Images and Words is one of the all time great prog rock albums in my opinion, and is pretty tough to call a metal album.

Another band that oscillates between prog rock and prog metal that I don't see mentioned enough is Pain of Salvation. They actually just put out a live dvd, which is thoroughly awesome, and their singer Daniel Gildenlow is almost impossibly talented (well, lead singer, everyone in the band contributes on vocals). He sings, plays some pretty damn impressive guitar work at the same time, and writes the bulk of their music.

Some songs from the dvd.

!(Foreward), one of their more metal tracks, with some great vocals from Gildenlow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpK5JaJ_96E

and a cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0puyJsSHjs4

EDIT-Actually, on perusing the thread I see they have been mentioned a few times. That's good:D

eso76 said:
Well, not you, you're the thread starter, you asked for suggestions and i would expect you to actually check the tracks people suggested :)
I would just expect more comments following posts suggesting youtube links (which makes listening to any song very quick and easy). General lack of makes me think people are more concerned about posting their own list than reading others', that's the impression i sometimes get. Might be wrong of course.

I went though all 4 pages in this thread and jotted down everything that I didn't already know. I'm a huge DT and PT fan. Always want to expand my my horizons and love this genre.

Also ... they're interesting to say the least:

Ozric Tentacles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozric_Tentacles

Very Spacey ... I like their older stuff better.

Agalloch

I see Goblins, PFM, Banco del mutuo soccorso and Le Orme live.
For prog lovers try some albums of italian progressive,

like this http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=28

Or for the prog metalthe band Novembre

It'really beautiful music, great taste.
This bands are criminally underrated cause a lot of people think in this country
in the music side you can only find tenors or melodic songs

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
How this thread is almost at 200 posts without a, I believe, single mention of easily the most commercially viable Prog band of the 60's/70's is stunning to me:

THE MOODY BLUES!!!

I've always loved some of the others mentioned here: Yes, Rush, Marillion, King Crimson, Adrian Belew, Genesis, etc., but The Moodies have always been my favorite. Nights in White Satin is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard....

needlesmcgirk said:
King's X is probably my favorite. I got all into prog rock and didn't listen to anything but prog rock for a long time and then I finally just got so sick of it and went to the Beatles and frank Zappa.

I think that's why I like King's X so much because they keep it in perspective and its still freaking rock and roll. Their last album is actually pretty good, but nothing comes close to "Faith Hope Love".

I used to love King's X. Saw them live once, opening for The Scorpions.

I wouldn't call them prog rock by any stretch though. More like melodic metal.

Anobyl

Truant said:
Progressive rock has become such a mockery of itself. Whatever happened to actual progression in terms of composition, soundscapes and ideas? It's like how 'indie' now reflects a certain sound, istead of actual independent music. I want actual progression, not the same old cheese-fest Dream Theater sound.

I would say Kayo Dot, Extra Life, Tera Melos, The Mars Volta are much more progressive than any band mentioned in this thread, even though they're labled as something completely different.

Just my two cents, don't get upset.

Good post. Sums up my feelings nicely and gives me a new band to check out (Extra Life).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom