• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project AM2R getting legally slammed by Nintendo; file hosts hit with DMCA notices

illusionary

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-08-metroid-2-fan-remake-launches-much-to-nintendos-chagrin

UPDATE 08/08/2016 9.28pm: Metroid Database has confirmed that the takedown notice is indeed from Nintendo, so the site will no longer host the fab fan remake.

"The attorney has gotten back in touch with us and it appears the notice is indeed legitimate," Metroid Database said on Twitter. "We have no further comments."

To refresh your memory, Metroid Database previously said "If it's real, yes it's going to remain taken down. You'll have to use torrents/other sources instead."

ORIGINAL STORY 08/08/2016 7pm: This weekend Metroid superfans released their own remake of Metroid 2 to commemorate the series' 30th anniversary. Nintendo was not happy about this.

The project in question, AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), made waves after the developer released a fairly far along build of it on Saturday. The fan project offers the Game Boy adventure Metroid 2 a Zero Mission-like treatment where it reimagines the games as a 16-bit adventure with improved graphics, new areas, updated enemy AI, an enhanced weapon system, and a map. Looking at footage of the AM2R in action, it looks almost indistinguishable from Super Metroid - an impressive feat by any means.

Of course, Nintendo isn't exactly thrilled at the notion of someone else releasing an arguably better version of its product for free. As such, it's issued a cease and desist order to sites hosting AM2R downloads, like Metroid Database.

Weirdly, AM2R developer DoctorM64 tweeted that "The people at @MetroidDatabase were hosting a download mirror, and they received a DMCA notice. I wasn't contacted at all by N." As of publishing, it seems like Nintendo is okay with AM2R existing, so long as it's not distributed.

Metroid Datasbase has complied with the cease and desist notice, though it's planning to fight Nintendo on this. Or at least it has a legal team digging into the matter.

"I request everyone just waits patiently and chillaxes until we hear from the law firm. I contacted them and left a voicemail. Nothing yet," Metroid Database said in a statement. "If it's real, yes it's going to remain taken down. You'll have to use torrents/other sources instead. If it's fake, we will be using a limited upload speed because in just one day, users downloaded 1TB of our bandwidth and our host have a 10TB/month plan with Softlayer."

DoctorM64 noted that a torrent option was added before the cease and desist strike simply due to server issues. "We added a torrent [be]cause a lot of people were downloading from the MDb at the same time, slowing their server down," the developer explained.

It's also worth noting that this 1.0 launch of AM2R was not intended to be a final release. "There's lots of improvements and features planned for a near future," the developer wrote on its blog. "This is not a definitive version, but the first."

Fingers crossed that this "definitive version" eventually sees the light of day.

Smarter Nintendo would have bought the game from the devs and released it on 3DS or something.

Now they make no money and look like the bad guy.

The only reason they wouldn't go that route is because they take too much pride in their in-house development. Plebian devs can't be making Nintendo games. I may be assuming here, but that's really what I think.

This makes about as much sense as people talking about "arrogant" Sony. Personifying corporations is meaningless. Why not bring honor and shame into it while you're at it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Someone needs to tell Nintendo that, metaphorically speaking, there's a difference between telling a kid to get off their lawn and and telling a kid to get off their lawn while pointing a shotgun at said kid.

Garlador

Thanks Ninty for waiting till after the weekend to harpoon this, now it's out in the wild and will never fully go away now.

AM2R will live on, and you still take your PR L.

Pretty much. Nintendo seems to think you can stick the genie back into the bottle.

It's just going to make Metroid fans even more upset with them at this point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People saying Sonic Mania is a good example of what to do with talent clearly forget Streets of Rage Remake.

That's still online though. I feel like this remake is already out so it's just a matter of looking around if you want it and Nintendo can't do shit about that.

Smarter Nintendo would have bought the game from the devs and released it on 3DS or something.

Now they make no money and look like the bad guy.

The only reason they wouldn't go that route is because they take too much pride in their in-house development. Plebian devs can't be making Nintendo games. I may be assuming here, but that's really what I think.

Not that I don't disagree that working out a deal would have a positive outcome, but why should they buy something that mostly uses assets they own.

Also they outsource IP development to outside devs all the time, what are you talking about.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. Nintendo seems to think you can stick the genie back into the bottle.

It's just going to make Metroid fans even more upset with them at this point.

It's like they missed the Metroid Queen for the Alphas.

Forest for the Trees and all that

Now the metroid menace is making nests everywhere throughout the vastness of cyber space and no amount of lawyer bounty hunters will wipe them out now.

Remember when Capcom - even at their worst - still personally hosted the Mega Man versus Street Fighter fan-game themselves in honor of their 25th Anniversaries?

Nintendo, please...

Which was also one of the worst fan games I've ever played, some things don't deserve to live.

Loam

So let me get this strait. AM2R was in development for over half a decade with periodic demos and a vertical slice side project for gameplay demonstrations, and Nintendo waits until after it officially releases to C&D them? Sure its within their right and all, and I understand wanting to protect your IP, but what is the point of shutting them down after you've left them alone for so long and they've already released the files. It's a very high quality project for fans of a series they've essentially thrown to the curb. Its not going away.

Seems like the better move would to have been to throw the devs a nod and earn some goodwill. Especially with Federation Force on the horizon and the PR headache the combination of its launch and shutting this down is going to cause.

So let me get this strait. AM2R was in development for over half a decade with periodic demos and a vertical slice side project for gameplay demonstrations, and Nintendo waits until after it officially releases to C&D them? Sure its within their right and all, and I understand wanting to protect your IP, but what is the point of shutting them down after you've left them alone for so long and they've already released the files. It's a very high quality project for fans of a series they've essentially thrown to the curb. Its not going away.

Seems like the better move would to have been to throw the devs a nod and earn some goodwill. Especially with Federation Force on the horizon and the PR headache the combination of its launch is shutting this down is going to cause.

I mean by looking the other way until after its out that lets the fans get it while still letting nintendo look strong in front of investors and IP law. Better then what SE did to Crimson Echoes

maxresdefault.jpg

Good thing I got AM2R in time, it's amazing so far. Now I'm probably going to stay up to the *second* Mother 4 comes out to make sure I don't miss out.

MouldyK

Seems like the better move would to have been to throw the devs a nod and earn some goodwill. Especially with the launch of Federation Force on the horizon and the PR headache the combination of its launch is shutting this down is going to cause.

Because if they C&D before it's finished...no-one can play it!

I think people wait for it to be complete so they can be like "Hey, this thing is out now! Let's shut it down so our IP is protected!...but it still means people can enjoy it."

We should all be praising Nintendo for letting them release it really. I mean, they know it can't be stopped.

I mean by looking the other way until after its out that lets the fans get it while still letting Nintendo look strong in front of investors and IP law. Better then what SE did to Crimson Echoes

Basically. It's appealing to everyone.

Absolute fucking incompetence that it took them till after it's release to do anything about it.

Incompetence and Biding Time are two different concepts you can take for this.

Also, a reminder. No Cease & Desist has been given to anyone. DCMA takedowns were given to sites holding the download mirrors.

Zombine

Banned
Let it embarrass them. They have to protect their IP so I understand that, but let it embarrass the shit out of them for not doing shit with the IP and getting shown up by some indie devs on their spare time. This, along with renewed interest in the brand and fan backlash could get the ball rolling on new iterations of the IP so I think some positivity could come out of this.

Oddish1

Let it embarrass them. They have to protect their IP so I understand that, but let it embarrass the shit out of them for not doing shit with the IP and getting shown up by some indie devs on their spare time. This, along with renewed interest in the brand and fan backlash could get the ball rolling on new iterations of the IP so I think some positivity could come out of this.

They're releasing a "new iteration of the IP" next week.

I think that Nintendo is entirely justified to exercise their rights and use the full extent of the law to protect their properties. Not only is there a precedent for it, but it also makes sense financially, including wanting to protect a brand and to distance themselves from an unauthorized project using their licenses.

But at the same time, I will also state thus as someone not legally or economically affiliated with them in regards to a fan project made out of love and seeking no money in return:

Dear Nintendo,

Fuck your intellectual property rights. You can't stop us this time.

ChaosXVI

Well, this all really sucks...I'm just glad I got the chance to play it, and that it can never be erased from the internet since it's out there now.

Garlador

"Nintendo, you haven't released a proper, amazing 2D sidescrolling Metroid game since 2004..."

"Stop complaining. If you want one so bad, make one yourself!"

*makes it*

"... You will get Federation Force and you will LIKE it!"

LordRaptor

Absolute fucking incompetence that it took them till after it's release to do anything about it.

I'm a regular Neogaf poster and I'd never heard about this before this weekend.

I don't think its a huge leap of faith that corporate lawyers tasked with protecting IP hadn't been actively following development for years.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Seems like the better move would to have been to throw the devs a nod and earn some goodwill. Especially with Federation Force on the horizon and the PR headache the combination of its launch and shutting this down is going to cause.

Maybe they were waiting to see if the final game was still utilizing their assets.

I just feel so bad for the developer. All the blood, sweat and tears fusing in to ten years of solid hard work and now he's forced to take down his release including his personally uploaded download links barely a day after release. It's well within Nintendo's rights here but it's still a mean-spirited dick move. They had the choice to either look the other way or reach out to the developer Sega style. There were multiple options here and Nintendo went for the worst one that doesn't benefit anyone.

Also given the release post on the blog has now been removed it's highly likely if not definite the creator got hit with a cease and desist which is a shame and quite soul destroying for him.

What's more sad is that this was just the first release. The developer stated that this isn't the definitive version of the game - he had more updates and fine-tuning planned for down the road which might not be possible now if he adheres to Nintendo's wishes. It's such a shame.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, I think Nintendo had a problem with this, but maybe just didn't know about it, and now it knows cause of? Who knows, but they are to late. Its out there, on torrent. Its on the internet, no amount of DMCA take downs is going to be enough.

JaseMath

It's alive via bitorrent, but it's a shame no one can host it. All that hard work, gone from legitime distribution channels.

That said, this outcome was inevitable

It's alive via bitorrent, but it's a shame no one can host it. All that hard work, gone from legitime distribution channels.

That said, this outcome was inevitable

It'll live forever on the Internet that's for sure. Torrents are generally immune from legal action so the file will always be available. However not everyone has mad torrent skills like most of us here so this being removed from traditional distribution channels via mass takedown notices means less people will get to know about, experience and enjoy the game - and that's the saddest part about this. It reduces awareness and exposure.

Hell, even the release post is now removed. I wonder if the developer has ceased working on this now due to the legal action? I ask since Bombergames continued to work on the Streets of Rage Remake even in the face of legal troubles releasing a patch years later.

It'd be a shame if there's no further releases because of this. The developer had more development plans - this was only supposed to be the first version and not the definitive one.

Shadoken

People saying Sonic Mania is a good example of what to do with talent clearly forget Streets of Rage Remake.

I'll never forgive SEGA for that. TT_TT

Its a clear example of a once Stubborn company , can change and embrace the community. We went from SOR cancellation and Shining youtube take downs to Sonic Mania and Rom Hacks as mods on Steam.

Nintendo is still very out of touch with how all this works. And that needs to change.

nded

Unfortunate, but predictable. At least it's out in the wild and Nintendo can't really do shit about that.

Bluth54

If only Nintendo paid attention to such well put together, long in development fan games, and if they really had to, put a licence fee on it and allow it for sale.

Yep this is the best thing to do with this sort of thing. It would probably be a little more work for the Dev to port it to Nintendo systems but I wouldn't be surprised if they were happy to for a cut of sales of the game.

For example Valve hosts a Team Fortress 1 based mod on Steam as well as selling the Half Life 1 remake Black Mesa.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't help but feel like Nintendo is probably spiteful about this, given their abysmal handling of the series, the piss poor response to Federation Force, and the fact they seem to have no clue what to do with the series.

It is completely ridiculous to let somebody put work into something like this a decade and then slap them with a C&D. This project has been public with demos available for years. But I dunno, the creator should probably feel good about the fact that he made something good enough that Nintendo felt threatened by it. Because as much as people keep throwing around the whole "Nintendo shuts down everything!!!!!!" bullshit it's absolutely not the norm.

I agree that it sucks for the people who were involved that this was taken down, but there's a lot of people in this topic who seem to have some misunderstanding as to what "transformative" means in regard to copyright and fair use. Remaking something with entirely new assets is not transformative. Using new assets and a new story is not transformative. A cover of a song is not transformative, while a parody is. In order for something to be transformative it needs to recontextualize or add new meaning to the original work. It's incredibly difficult for creative works to be considered transformative, outside of parody. A fan remake of an existing game does not recontextualize or add new insights to the game. A non creative work such as an encyclopedia could count as transformative as it is presenting the material in a way that provides new insight and adds value to the original piece.
Aside from the nature of the work and whether or not it is transformative, there are a number of other factors that are looked at to determine fair use. The nature of the work is taken into account, and as a work of fiction it is far harder to prove fair use. The amount of material lifted from the original work is taken into account, as is the importance of what was lifted to the heart or nature of the work. In this case, the setting, characters, story, map layouts, and gameplay mechanics were taken directly from the original. It doesn't matter if they used a new engine or created all of the music and sprites from scratch.

The last thing usually looked at it is how the potentially infringing work affects potential markets, and I think this is another place that people are not often aware of the full scope. It doesn't matter at all if they're charging money for the work. That would just make it easier for Nintendo to prove their point. It doesn't even actually matter that Nintendo is currently offering Metroid 2 for sale. All that matters is that there is a potential market that exists in which Nintendo could possibly be profiting from Metroid 2 or a remake of Metroid 2. If that potential market exists, and could possibly be affected by offering the fan game for free, it's an infringement.

And before anyone calls me out, I'm not trying to "white knight" Nintendo. I'm just trying to explain some realities of Copyright law. It sucks that the project got pulled down, and it sucks that Nintendo isn't making the Metroid game that fans want, but loving something doesn't give you ownership of another person or corporate entities IP. Putting hours or days or years of work into something that it seems the owner doesn't care about spent give the right to use their IP. It sucks for fans of those things, but it's an unfortunate reality of how IP laws work. Anybody who becomes involved in a fan game like this, either in its production or just as a fan, should enter into it expecting it to be taken down as it infringes on somebody else's copyright. The fan games that haven't been taken down are always exceptions, as are the deals some companies have made with fan game developers.

I can't help but feel like Nintendo is probably spiteful about this, given their abysmal handling of the series, the piss poor response to Federation Force, and the fact they seem to have no clue what to do with the series.

It is completely ridiculous to let somebody put work into something like this a decade and then slap them with a C&D. This project has been public with demos available for years. But I dunno, the creator should probably feel good about the fact that he made something good enough that Nintendo felt threatened by it. Because as much as people keep throwing around the whole "Nintendo shuts down everything!!!!!!" bullshit it's absolutely not the norm.

You really think Nintendo is "spiteful" about it? Nintendo is not a person. It's a company.

What's more likely is this happened:

- "Hey, somebody released a game and they're calling it Metroid and the main character is Samus and there are metroids in it and everything."
- "Send out the C&D then."

Honestly I doubt Nintendo has given it much thought at all. Their instinct is to protect their IP. It has nothing to do with spite.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You really think Nintendo is "spiteful" about it? Nintendo is not a person. It's a company.

What's more likely is this happened:

- "Hey, somebody released a game and they're calling it Metroid and the main character is Samus and there are metroids in it and everything."
- "Send out the C&D then."

Honestly I doubt Nintendo has given it much thought at all. Their instinct is to protect their IP. It has nothing to do with spite.

It legitimately wouldn't surprise me. They let it go for years, just like they do with most fan projects. This game was never hidden or under the radar, and it has had multiple substantial demos available. They didn't do anything about it until fully released with reception positive enough that it resulted in some major publicity (for a fangame, at least).

And I think you would have to be crazy to think they didn't know about it until now. There are tons of videos of the demos on youtube dating back a few years, and Nintendo manages to find much smaller projects that "break rules" like plugging donations. There's no way they just found out about it.

Ridley327

Outside of that one game that Beat Takeshi helped make, I cannot think of any instance where a game was made simply because they knew how much the audience would hate it. Like, I get that people are still pissed off about Other M, but I doubt Sakamoto's thought process during development revolved around "man, what can I do to really make fans hate me?" at any point. Same thing with Federation Force, which is more an issue of misreading the audience than Nintendo actively going out their way to give fans something they don't want.

Truthfully speaking, the more bitter Metroid fans flatter themselves way too much if they think there's some kind of conspiracy to make bad games.

Maedhros

Nintendo making it easy for me to hate them.

I'm sure this won't affect NX, but personally I'm considering not getting one anymore.

I was waiting TEN fucking years for this remake. And the guy released it and it's great, but it's not complete. Now I don't know if I will get the complete version because Nintendo took it down. Yeah, it's their right, as it's in my right to get pissed off with them.

Fuck Nintendo.

Nintendo making it easy for me to hate them.

I'm sure this won't affect NX, but personally I'm considering not getting one anymore.

I was waiting TEN fucking years for this remake. And the guy released it and it's great, but it's not complete. Now I don't know if I will get the complete version because Nintendo took it down. Yeah, it's their right, as it's in my right to get pissed off with them.

Fuck Nintendo.

This is the thing right here - the Nintendo hardcore practically single handedly kept the Wii U afloat given the mainstream were not interested and this move by Nintendo is generating such anger and fire the diehard fans like yourself are actually considering not buying the NX because of it. Surely Nintendo could have gone a different way about this than a takedown notice. They really should take a leaf out of Sega's book and look at connecting with their hardcore fans as opposed to attacking them.

I'm still interested in the NX but it doesn't change the fact that I'm angered and displeased at their shameful actions here.

The guy should be commended for his amazing work - not attacked for it.

Top Bottom