• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

TJP

With PCARS2 SMS are effectively having to support 5 architectures, and one of them on very short notice. At the moment they're struggling to get YouTube videos right; let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Turn10 ported FM6 in two days apparently; I can't see why SMS would have an issue doing the same with pcars 2.

Gestault

I think the point of the T10 stress test demo for the Scorpio reveal was to show that the tools are all but an extension of the standard XB1 dev kit. There's nothing particularly tricky about utilizing the new hardware if the studio could make a game on XB1 in the first place.

SMS should be fine unless they really half-ass it.

fresquito

Of course, if you don't make good use of new hardware (probably) released AFTER your game is none's but your own fault.

Man, you gotta admire console manufacturers if only because their ability to make people think irrationally from brand loyalty alone.

TJP

Pcars 2 runs at 60fps at 4K on a single GTX 1080 so I'm sorted!

I Dont really give a shit about the console versions (i am excited by the next Xbox) but I couldn't see why SMS couldn't do what Turn10 have done given neither the PC or Scorpio versions of the Forza game had specific platform optimisations according to the DF article.

FZW

Obviously first party would have been in the loop, but have third party devs known about the Scorpio specs for very long? A lot of the Pro launch titles struggled to get Pro mode stuff working properly, despite it being a fairly dev-friendly architecture (as I understand it). With PCARS2 SMS are effectively having to support 5 architectures, and one of them on very short notice. At the moment they're struggling to get YouTube videos right; let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Well the dev kits already support scorpio and SMS have until holiday. I think its fair to expect a day one patch or one after the first month.

Turn10 ported FM6 in two days apparently; I can't see why SMS would have an issue doing the same with pcars 2.
We heard all about how easy it was to get games running on the Pro too, and yet the Pro launch window saw a lot of horrific Pro attempts, and plenty of completely apathetic ones. Even first party titles struggled.

fresquito

We heard all about how easy it was to get games running on the Pro too, and yet the Pro launch window saw a lot of horrific Pro attempts, and plenty of completely apathetic ones. Even first party titles struggled.
No way! Console manufacturers would never lie to us to sell us a product. They would never dare to put all the pressure on the devs. Right? Right?

No way! Console manufacturers would never lie to us to sell us a product. They would never dare to put all the pressure on the devs. Right? Right?
And on top of that we have a dev in SMS who've shown in the past that their eyes are bigger than their stomachs when it comes to supporting additional platforms. People should probably temper their expectations on that front.

Mascot

I watched the whole thing. Super interesting and really made me excited for the game.

The only thing is that I swear I've heard the 'we're going to have tracks that will be dry in parts and wet in others' claim made for every major racing game of the last ten years or so. It's no longer impressive to me.

Have any of those claims borne fruit until now though?

And on top of that we have a dev in SMS who've shown in the past that their eyes are bigger than their stomachs when it comes to supporting additional platforms. People should probably temper their expectations on that front.

If you don't know the reasons behind the WiiU story by now it's probably worth reading up on. SMS would have been crazy to pursue it.

Edit:

17818086_1346433045451580_8234455821245743104_n_zpsgdj9udbp.jpg

Have any of those claims borne fruit until now though?

If you don't know the reasons behind the WiiU story by now it's probably worth reading up on. SMS would have been crazy to pursue it.

What about the PSVR story though, did they ever really give a decent reason for dropping that? Was it just a case of development has moved to PC2?

Mascot

What about the PSVR story though, did they ever really give a decent reason for dropping that? Was it just a case of development has moved to PC2?

Not sure. I think the intention to support it was announced before the hardware specs were really known and it ended up being impossible to achieve with any kind of quality.

fresquito

Not sure. I think the intention to support it was announced before the hardware specs were really known and it ended up being impossible to achieve with any kind of quality.
Yeah, SMS are very bad at managing info and closing fronts, but nobody in their sane mind would expect PC1, who had several problems to run fine on tv, to have PSVR support once PSVR details were revealed.

Mascot

Yeah, SMS are very bad at managing info and closing fronts, but nobody in their sane mind would expect PC1, who had several problems to run fine on tv, to have PSVR support once PSVR details were revealed.

I have to totally agree with this. Ian's openness in the GTP Q&A thread was so surprising (and so welcome) because it was the absolute antithesis of how SMS seem to normally handle public transfer of information, especially regarding updating out-of-date news. Maybe they sometimes forget there are people outside of the WMD bubble who also need to hear these things?

WiiU, PSVR, and now the Long Beach video mystery... all still a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma as Churchill's ghost might say.

Thread worthy?

Nothing in that presentation is really new to anyone who has been following developments. It's just all neatly wrapped up in a half-hour chunk.

I'm fully expecting individual video vignettes highlighting each of the new features to get rolled out over the coming months.

Mascot

Long Beach video is not a mistery. It's been stated that it was uploaded by mistake.

We know that via WMD insiders, but has this been announced overtly and publicly? The impression I got was that SMS were saying nothing and were hoping the whole debacle would quietly go away. I might not be up to speed on that though.

That was the exact point I was making :)

Nobody in their sane mind would announce support for a platform before details were revealed!

I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to hear a dev announce support for a platform, and then expect the dev to support that platform. That's how communication works :p

fresquito

We know that via WMD insiders, but has this been announced overtly and publicly? The impression I got was that SMS were saying nothing and were hoping the whole debacle would quietly go away. I might not be up to speed on that though.
Debacle might be a very strong word to use here? It's not like they went to E3 and showed that video and only that video.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to hear a dev announce support for a platform, and then expect the dev to support that platform. That's how communication works :p
My point is: Are people having a grudge against SMS because communication or because there's no PSVR support? If it's the later, it's nuts. If it's the former, well, okay, I understand people wanting to get informed properly, but in my mind it's so obvious, I don't think any further explanation by SMS was really needed other than to make a gesture that was seen as reinfocement towards their communication with the community. Which of course would be what should have happened, but I fail to see the big deal. There have been far worse problems with SMS communication.

My point is: Are people having a grudge against SMS because communication or because there's no PSVR support? If it's the later, it's nuts. If it's the former, well, okay, I understand people wanting to get informed properly, but in my mind it's so obvious, I don't think any further explanation by SMS was really needed other than to make a gesture that was seen as reinfocement towards their communication with the community. Which of course would be what should have happened, but I fail to see the big deal. There have been far worse problems with SMS communication.
I think the problem was just this:

SMS said that Project Cars would be coming to WiiU and PSVR.

It didn't come to WiiU or PSVR.

So now when SMS say things, people might not believe them.

Mascot

Debacle might be a very strong word to use here? It's not like they went to E3 and showed that video and only that video.

Playing devil's advocate here for a second:

It was an official video released through official channels and promoted on official social media, but it wasn't even checked before it was put out there. It was then quietly yanked from view without any official explanation (but probably because frankly, it was awful in quality, content and audio).

And all this is hot on the heels of SMS talking about their carefully planned and methodically structured marketing strategy.

Look, I know this was probably a one-off and that steps have already probably been taken to ensure nothing like this ever happens again, but this type of thing is damaging to SMS's credibility in the eyes of Average Joe Gamer and isn't going to win over any doubters about SMS's professionalism or attention to detail.

All of which is a HUGE shame because I know the game is looking and sounding incredible.

So no, I don't think 'debacle' is too strong a word.

fresquito

See, the thing is I don't believe anybody that is trying to sell me something unless I see facts and results. Not SMS, not anybody else.

Maybe that's why it is not that huge of a deal to me.

Playing devil's advocate here for a second:

It was an official video released through official channels and promoted on official social media, but it wasn't even checked before it was put out there. It was then quietly yanked from view without any official explanation (but probably because frankly, it was awful in quality, content and audio).

And all this is hot on the heels of SMS talking about their carefully planned and methodically structured marketing strategy.

Look, I know this was probably a one-off and that steps have already probably been taken to ensure nothing like this ever happens again, but this type of thing is damaging to SMS's credibility in the eyes of Average Joe Gamer and isn't going to win over any doubters about SMS's professionalism or attention to detail.

All of which is a HUGE shame because I know the game is looking and sounding incredible.

So no, I don't think 'debacle' is too strong a word.
Aw, I don't know man. I don't think the average Joe even knows this game exists at all, lol.

We are coming from very different places. I don't see a lot of media or I'm inclined to hype things anymore.

Did the video hurt PC2? Yeah, it hurt PC2. Can you base your judgement on a studio because someone fucked up? I don't know about that. I wouldn't. But some people like to feel hurt and are entitled enough to feel hurt by a fuck up video, I guess.

My opinion on SMS:

They are a super talented bunch.
Their heads are great in getting things done.
Their heads are bad at communicating.
They are awful making their brand look good.
They are awful at promoting and explaining their work.

I like to base my opinions on consistent stuff, not on one great moment or one fuck up. But hey, I said it before: I'm not one to play development studio manager. I'm here for the game.

VVV Mars VG

You could lay this claim at a number of developers, take Polyphony Digital, every time they make a release date, it falls through, they aren't lying, it's just one of those things. So when they said GT Sport will be PSVR compatible, people might be disappointed when only a limited mode is available. Likewise a lot of people bought PS4's to enjoy the game only to find 3 years down the line that the Pro is the target experience.

There are reasons for all of these issues if everyone uses some common sense. People make mistakes, SMS made some, lots of people make them but we move on with a clean slate and in admitting they had been over ambitious, that's a refreshingly positive step.

Mascot

Aw, I don't know man. I don't think the average Joe even knows this game exists at all, lol.

We are coming from very different places. I don't see a lot of media or I'm inclined to hype things anymore.

Did the video hurt PC2? Yeah, it hurt PC2. Can you base your judgement on a studio because someone fucked up? I don't know about that. I wouldn't. But some people like to feel hurt and are entitled enough to feel hurt by a fuck up video, I guess.

My opinion on SMS:

They are a super talented bunch.
Their heads are great in getting things done.
Their heads are bad at communicating.
They are awful making their brand look good.
They are awful at promoting and explaining their work.

I like to base my opinions on consistent stuff, not on one great moment or one fuck up. But hey, I said it before: I'm not one to play development studio manager. I'm here for the game.

I agree with everything you say. It's totally irrational to let a marketing fuck-up cloud your judgment of a studio or their game, but when were sim racing fans ever rational? It's a divisive community based on tribal mentality a lot of the time, so things like this can be used to score points. SMS must know how pCARS was generally perceived (wrongly and unfairly, in my book) so they must realise that their job is just that little bit harder this time around. That's why things like a janky official video can unfortunately do an awful lot of damage.

It's an interesting discussion but one that's probably been done to death now. We need a shiny new video to divert attention from it.

:p

Juicy Bob

I still think some of you are overreacting to that Long Beach video. But I agree that it's best to forget about it for now.

Mascot

Yeah, let's move on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KuENMxrpXk

They need to fix the FOV/spec problem as soon as possible, because it hurts the overall look quite a bit.

It's like waiting for as bus!

Here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnmh9jv7ISY

Oooooh, sneaky edit, Fres..!

Edit: that first video is an odd mix of 60fps and (?) 30fps footage.

Must say, RallyX leaves me stone cold. I'm far more into tarmac racing and personally wish SMS had focused on this. Still, I'm willing to give it a go.

fresquito

Must say, RallyX leaves me stone cold. I'm far more into tarmac racing and personally wish SMS had focused on this. Still, I'm willing to give it a go.
Hah! Exactly my feelings... before I played it. Super frantic and adrenaline pumping discipline with some of the more demanding and freeform driving is how I'd describe RallyX now.

My only concern with RallyX would be MP. It requires a lot of melee driving and there's a fine line to be drawn between what can and can't be done. Even in private lobbies, I can see RallyX races easily spiriling​ into chaos.

EBreda

RallyX trailer actually made me drop expectations for the game.

PCars was an incomplete mess when it launched on consoles and spreading yourself thin for the sequel doesn't seem like a good strategy to me.

That and I hate this required drifting events in every game ever.

So yeah, keeping my expectations in check for now.

Mascot

PCars was an incomplete mess when it launched on consoles and spreading yourself thin for the sequel doesn't seem like a good strategy to me.

I also hate being forced into drift events in racing games but RallyX and ice racing in pcars 2 will be entirely optional. You won't even be forced to acknowledge them if you don't want to

fresquito

So yeah, so many asumptions.

Juicy Bob

I don't know why, but rallycross has never grabbed my attention that much.

I feel like it should, because the actual idea of rallycross is awesome so it should be a no-brainer, but... I don't know.

Still good to have it in pCARS2 just for the extra variety. That's always a positive.

SliChillax

It's like waiting for as bus!

Here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnmh9jv7ISY

Oooooh, sneaky edit, Fres..!

I love the wheel and hand movements, thr steering turns more than 180 degrees it makes cockpit view look so much more real. I hate how in Forza and Gran Turismo you correct an oversteer and the driver is barely turning the steering wheel.

TJP

Team VVV have been active on Instagram; Alan was third fastest in one time trial photo! Only a dev and Nic Hamilton were faster by a few tenths.

Top Bottom