• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Blizzard

Banned

DieH@rd

Banned
Mine is 510... and I can play MP, so there are a lot of people who dont have latest version it seems. Is there any way to manually request download of latest patch for steam version?

edit - just saw what's in beta tab, and I've oped in into my tier of updates [TeamMember].

The graphics in this game look too good to be true.

Like bullshots.

The attention to detail is what I find hard to believe... people dont work for free. To get detail like that is beyond the "petty" amounts of money people have raised. It takes alot of time as well...
Gaffers in the beta, does the game look like they do in the screenshots? If so, what setup are you using?

The attention to detail is what I find hard to believe... people dont work for free. To get detail like that is beyond the "petty" amounts of money people have raised. It takes alot of time as well...
Gaffers in the beta, does the game look like they do in the screenshots? If so, what setup are you using?

There's about 50 or so screenshots in my Flickr page here.

Most of the settings are turned up to max apart from the grass sometimes as patching the game reverts the setting.

I'm using an i7-3820 @ 4.4ghz with an EVGA 4GB 680 and 16GB of RAM at 2000mhz.

I do get a rock solid 60fps, even in a 20 car race but rain makes the frame rate plummet.

TJP

It certainly can if you crank up the setting to their respective maximums and choose the DS9 option!

pCARS is a stunning looking sim; SMS are really looking to push the genre forward in many areas.

http://www.virtualr.net/project-cars-introducing-pcars-rank

Slightly Mad Studios’ WMD-powered Project CARS title has recently been equipped with a brand new feature – pCARS rank. Inspired by the community icons GPLRank & GTR2 Rank, pCARS rank allows players to determine their performance against their peers as a ranking number is calculated based on the lap times set on various car & track combinations. Following WMD’s true community spirit, pCARS rank was not just designed in a community brainstorm but also developed by a member of the WMD forum, Kai Lochbaum.

The new ranking feature is used extensively with the Car Physics Focus Testing (or CPFT for short) in which a car that is currently in the focus of physics development gets thoroughly tested by as many members as possible. To maximize feedback from CPFT and allow for quick changes to be tested, all members are currently receiving daily builds of Project CARS, regardless of their membership rank.

WMD members can now get ranked by setting times in the CPFT events using the in-game “Events” button. And those who didn’t sign up in time before funding was closed can take a peek at the rankings here.

^^ Mark, three hundredths, buddy. You can do it! Puuuuush!

Shaneus

http://www.virtualr.net/project-cars-introducing-pcars-rank

Slightly Mad Studios’ WMD-powered Project CARS title has recently been equipped with a brand new feature – pCARS rank. Inspired by the community icons GPLRank & GTR2 Rank, pCARS rank allows players to determine their performance against their peers as a ranking number is calculated based on the lap times set on various car & track combinations. Following WMD’s true community spirit, pCARS rank was not just designed in a community brainstorm but also developed by a member of the WMD forum, Kai Lochbaum.

The new ranking feature is used extensively with the Car Physics Focus Testing (or CPFT for short) in which a car that is currently in the focus of physics development gets thoroughly tested by as many members as possible. To maximize feedback from CPFT and allow for quick changes to be tested, all members are currently receiving daily builds of Project CARS, regardless of their membership rank.

WMD members can now get ranked by setting times in the CPFT events using the in-game “Events” button. And those who didn’t sign up in time before funding was closed can take a peek at the rankings here.

That sounds fucking AWESOME. Going by the description, it sounds like Forza stole their "rivals mode" from GTR2 or GPL. Well, it sounds the same in concept, anyway.

Been a while since I fired up pCARS. Must be time to get the ol' girl out again :D

markao

I did not see that before, as currently most free time is waisted playing one more click in the latest Civ5 BNW expansion (I know its sad :p)

But most times were done with default set-ups, quick 10 lap physics tests, so going green should not be that much of an issue......................................................................................at least for me ;)

Loved GPL/GTR Rank at the time, hope with some addition of "Autolog" + friendlists we can push it into the modern area.

I did not see that before, as currently most free time is waisted playing one more click in the latest Civ5 BNW expansion (I know its sad :p)

But most times were done with default set-ups, quick 10 lap physics tests, so going green should not be that much of an issue......................................................................................at least for me ;)

Loved GPL/GTR Rank at the time, hope with some addition of "Autolog" + friendlists we can push it into the modern area.

I picked up both Civ expansions during Summer Sale, and know only too well how little I let get in the way of my world domination :)

Ohhh, at least for you...is that right? I see how it's gonna be! :p I'm really excited about the feature too. I love async in racing. It's a perfect fit. Hopefully I'll gets some laps in this week and leave you green with envy.

@BT Woot, did it ;) This weeks events were for me in reach with default set-ups, so wiped that ugly red colour of my ranking list.

Video of my attempt in the Lotus 79 Cosworth at Derby GP (1.16,8) (youtube)

like all the little details they added to the textures (curbs), track looks little more roughed up.

Very well done! You can't let some guy named 'big ron" beat you either, so nice job pushing him to the side too :) Great couple of laps in the video as well. Sweetest brake zone in the business.

markao

Very well done! You can't let some guy named 'big ron" beat you either, so nice job pushing him to the side too :) Great couple of laps in the video as well. Sweetest brake zone in the business.
Don't let replay sounds fool you to much, always makes it look like the guy in the video is braking slightly later. As in, first brake, no sound, than the downshifts (and tires squeal) and the sound cue, you really need data for that. Have a look at "Tom Shane's Profiler" at the WMD forum, very nice data tool that really let you see what someone is doing (comparisons). If you need the lap data, just let me know.

profilerqoal3.jpg

Lettuce

Even if you got a key you need an account that's purchased a tool kit from WMD to log in and play.

Well this is the thing i signed up to the forum and the entry level access about 2 years ago, (was this only a timed access to the build?) tried the game once ran like shite on my PC so left it and completely forgot about it. Saw this thread back the other week and reminded me about it now that i have a decent PC i wanted to try it again, managed to get WMD forums to send me a password reminder but now when i login i cant access 'My Profile' page, any threads on the forum or download the beta client anymore!!

Has my account be deactivated as i hadn't visited the site or logged in over a year???

markao

Well this is the thing i signed up to the forum and the entry level access about 2 years ago, (was this only a timed access to the build?) tried the game once ran like shite on my PC so left it and completely forgot about it. Saw this thread back the other week and reminded me about it now that i have a decent PC i wanted to try it again, managed to get WMD forums to send me a password reminder but now when i login i cant access 'My Profile' page, any threads on the forum or download the beta client anymore!!

Has my account be deactivated as i hadn't visited the site or logged in over a year???
The beta client (launcher) does not work any more, because you need Steam, but if your login for the forum does not work, this might not work either.

I've gotten into racing games since this was announced and I, too, am jonesing for access. Do I just have to wait for 1.0? Any hint when that may be? Will there be a beta 2 or anything?

markao

I've gotten into racing games since this was announced and I, too, am jonesing for access. Do I just have to wait for 1.0? Any hint when that may be? Will there be a beta 2 or anything?
Right now no way to get in to it, but there are still plans for "next gen" funding and it might open up.

Oh rite, when did that happen?, shouldnt i have gotten an email about it?
No don't think so, but the yellow banner on top of the forum is the place for important news and starting the old launcher should also have given a pop-up message.

Don't let replay sounds fool you to much, always makes it look like the guy in the video is braking slightly later. As in, first brake, no sound, than the downshifts (and tires squeal) and the sound cue, you really need data for that. Have a look at "Tom Shane's Profiler" at the WMD forum, very nice data tool that really let you see what someone is doing (comparisons). If you need the lap data, just let me know.

Wow, great tools sprouting up all over the place. That's really good to see.

OK, I swear on Chapman's grave I'll do some laps in that combo this afternoon. Let me see how I fair on a basic setup, and if I HAVE to see what's behind the curtain on your lap, I'll come bug you.

Racer1977

I thought they abandoned the Xbox 360 and the PS3 versions?
I read they where ditching these version for PS4 & Xbox One.

It would be a seriously poor business decision to continue with the last-gen versions. On PS3 in particular, GT6 will be the last hurrah for anyone interested in driving sims, but the PS4 crowd will be hungry for a title like pCARS, it's a real opportunity for them to break into consoles before a next-gen Gran Turismo hits.

patchday

Yeah I hope they ditch current gen consoles in favor of next gen which is clearly where this game belongs to be properly represented.

Very thankful for this thread. Havent played pCars in a long time (even though I helped invest $ to get them going because I love these devs).

Downloading it now from Steam. Screenshots look incredible in the original post yo. Looks like this sim is even more beautiful now

disap.ed

It would be a seriously poor business decision to continue with the last-gen versions. On PS3 in particular, GT6 will be the last hurrah for anyone interested in driving sims, but the PS4 crowd will be hungry for a title like pCARS, it's a real opportunity for them to break into consoles before a next-gen Gran Turismo hits.

That's not my problem with the PS4 version, my problem is that the backers of the (cancelled) PS3/XB360 version won't see any money of the PS4/XB1 version.

Xanadu

Banned

true but its highly likely GT6 PS4 will come and take most that audience

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Today I leave you a video in which I've applied some filters to have a tonality, lighting, lens effect and realistic sound, along with camera movements that mimic its position on the side of the helmet. The lap is with the Lotus 49 in Imola.

I hope you like it.

Korezo

Why are the physics in this game exactly the same as nfs shift? I thought the reason for long development was to capture the true car driving physics but the game drives exactly like shift. Some cars are even floaty like shift with no over steer. So is this suppose to be a sim or a arcade game? I thought this was gonna be a sim to at least rival GT5/Forza, but its seems to just be shift3. I use to be so hype for this game.

Blizzard

Banned
Why are the physics in this game exactly the same as nfs shift? I thought the reason for long development was to capture the true car driving physics but the game drives exactly like shift. Some cars are even floaty like shift with no over steer. So is this suppose to be a sim or a arcade game? I thought this was gonna be a sim to at least rival GT5/Forza, but its seems to just be shift3. I use to be so hype for this game.
I think there are a list of cars on the forum that are the current focus for physics and tire model tuning. You may want to try some of those.

I don't have links for that or the physics thread at the moment, but maybe someone else can provide them. As far as I can tell, there has been a HUGE amount of work put into tire model(s) with the physics behind them (try reading some of A.J.'s posts in the physics sections), plus consulting with driver(s) who have driven the cars in real life to get their impressions on how the game compares so that cars can be adjusted accordingly.

I'm also of the impression that people who have played both games do not consider CARS physics the same as Shift physics.

markao

What car have you driven, what do you mean no oversteer it is like you are you playing a different sim than I am at the moment?

@Watevaman nice gif, imagine this to be real live, you would be one extremely lucky bastard :p

Dilly

Banned

What the fuck? They are nothing like Shift.

Racer1977

true but its highly likely GT6 PS4 will come and take most that audience
I'm not expecting a GT6 PS4 release in '14, I also think there's scope for two sim titles to get a good following, especially as GT infuriates as much as it pleases fans.

Right now, I think many GT fans buy an Xbox just for Forza, so it should be an easier sell for pCARS to grab sales on PS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is probably been asked to death so I feel bad asking but I want to know. Is this ever going to be a Steam Early Access game, dammit?

Its available as Steam Early Access game right now with daily/weekly updates to the alpha code... but only for those who backed the project. Devs are not accepting donations anymore, so nobody new can play it.

I really dont think they will "open the gates" for new users.

Its available as Steam Early Access game right now with daily/weekly updates to the alpha code... but only for those who backed the project. Devs are not accepting donations anymore, so nobody new can play it.

I really dont think they will "open the gates" for new users.

Wait, how do i access it through Steam?

sunnz

I'm not expecting a GT6 PS4 release in '14, I also think there's scope for two sim titles to get a good following, especially as GT infuriates as much as it pleases fans.

Right now, I think many GT fans buy an Xbox just for Forza, so it should be an easier sell for pCARS to grab sales on PS4.

Lol no, many GT fans will stick with GT6 until a PS4 version comes.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait, how do i access it through Steam?

Didnt they killed off the launcher few days ago? Are you playing old build with the launcher still active? :D

Anyhow, go to pcars forums, log in, go to your profile page and you will get your steam serial number. Insert that into steam and download game, and then go to game properties>beta tab to set your patch level [team member, senior etc].

Chobel

Is the PS4 version confirmed?

Racer1977

Lol no, many GT fans will stick with GT6 until a PS4 version comes.
I think you are seriously underestimating the number of GT fans, like myself, who have been with this series for 15 years, who are losing faith in PD.

I've already moved on from PS3, and to my eyes at least, GT6 is little more than a cash grab to justify the time & money invested in PS3 development. It seems to me, we'll be waiting at least another year or two, to see a GT that actually does justice to the series' heritage.

In the meantime, the Xbox One has completely priced itself out of the UK market, making buying the console for Forza alone difficult to justify. The roads wide open for a driving title to grab a significant chunk of the PS4 market.

Top Bottom