• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

fresquito

First impressions:

This is a sim to the bone. Nothing new under the sun, b8ut those doubting after Shift series rest asured this plays nothing like an arcade. I don't really like the selection of cars. I find most of them really hard to drive. It might have something to do with the config of my DFGT, but I tend to spin a lot when driving anything but the Formula B.

Even at this stage, the game is one of the finest looking racing games on the market, if not the best. Textures are sharp and it looks really crisp all around. Performance is very good on my i5 2500k, 6850, 8GB RAM. I haven't tested, but it runs silky smooth with no drops.

I haven't played enough and content is not that big, but it already shows promising.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I was going like 50mph and still span, haha.

I'll turn on a few assists and see how I do. That's how I learned to get to the point of having no assists in other driving games, so I'll try that first.
I find most games on the build really hard to drive. On the other hand, the Formula B is quite easy. I'd recommend you starting with that. It's what I'm doing, at least.

Izayoi

Banned
Someone needs to make a public service announcement about why using imgur is bad and that people should stop.

Those shots are getting destroyed by compression.

Please, think of the graphics! ;_;

bee

haha didn't notice it made 2 shortcuts and the other one was dx11 oops (it was late!), get 35fps maxed with triple screen but that's on my own on the track of course

Kyaw said:
So, still no impressions on physics and FFB?

there is input lag the same as shift absolutely no doubt about it, it's not terrible but its there

anyone who says it comes close currently to iracing or even the current pinnacle of physics netkar pro is either lying or has no clue but that's ok because it's a pre alpha and the very 1st release, if its the same close to launch then it'd be a problem

running laps around watkins glen is kind of annoying after playing iracing and its laser scanned tracks, i come to corners and just think no, no, no this corner shouldn't be that tight or whatever

edit: pic

FoypJ.jpg

getting 40fps there with dx11

desu

Played a bit around with the camera options.

Not sure this is documented in the official forums, but you can modify your view with wasd/+ keys next to enter. Also F1 is the debug menu (rotating the sky is funny)!

cars2011-10-1219-05-06rubh.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok, just had a quick play.

Impression one (in the LMP style car): Ooh, this is good....ah crap, spin, wall, ow. If spin count is anything to go by, this ranks up there with rFactor for me.

Impression two (In the Formula B car): Wow, someone give SMS the F1 license....*300 spins later*...or maybe not. Feels great, but the game throws you off track for the slightest error.

Impression three (Using the touring car): Now THIS I like. It still spits you off the track given half the chance, but the combination of a car class I like, and a track I know from RACE 07 (Bologna) means that I can compare the game to RACE 07, and boy does it compare well.

The handling/FFB is very involved, the game rewards bravery, not stupidity, and the car feels fantastic once you're used to it. The game is very early, but the main thing for a racer, the physics, seem very, VERY good.

Looking forward to the game developing, and seeing what licenses SMS can get. PLEASE get the BTCC guys!

bee

its just a screenshot generator for now, much like some other 'sims' :p but they admit that there's very little in the way of the actual game there right now, its just the basic shift 2 engine with a few mods and very little content but the stuff that's coming sounds awesome

laser scanned british tracks!

definitely looking forward to the weekly builds, not my screens but nice anyway

cars2011-10-1216-22-05uwu8.jpg

cars2011-10-1216-26-51y417.jpg

markao

fresquito said:
Haven't had a problem. I'm using an Ati card.
Me neither, just a high performance hit :( But reading the forum, Griff is aware of it and working with ATI to improve the performance.

Lightning, cockpits and suspension (older cars) already look absolutely stunning. FFB/response needs fine tuning, but as Bee mentioned, there is enough dev-time to improve on things.

bee said:
its just a screenshot generator for now, much like some other 'sims' :p.......
One small difference, they are actual gameplay shots ;)

So this is my first real attempt at playing with no assists on and everything on hard.

1:31.xxx isn't too bad. I mean, that's hardly a lightning lap, but considering that was after half an hour or so of practice I'm pleasantly surprised by how much progress I made. When you nail a few corners or, if you're lucky, a lap it feels so good but MAN it's easy to spin if you make the smallest mistake.

So yeah, I feel confident enough to keep all assists off now.

Give me more tracks and multiplayer and I'll love this game I'm sure.

fresquito

I love being part of C.A.R.S. The WMD system is very involving. There're lots of people trying to help, giving constructive input and discussing over small and important details all the same. I really hope it works and WMD sets a new standard, It's an open gate for the kind of games that we want to play and pubs don't want to give us.

fresquito

Foliorum Viridum said:
What is up with the audio mix in this game?

I have iTunes at 100% and the game at 7% and now it's finally not DEAFENING LOUD.
Have you changed the audio settings? This may sound as a stupid question, but if you don't save your changes, it's like you never did them. So changing values and exiting the menu doesn't work. You need to press right shift to save before leaving the menu.

Yeah I ended up doing that, but it's just weird the audio mix is sooo loud at default!

Also, not sure why I put so much time last night into Bologna when the other track is so much fun to drive. I've only drove the Formula B so far, too, so I'll need to play around with the other cars. I just like that I actually know how to drive the FB now! >_>

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah I ended up doing that, but it's just weird the audio mix is sooo loud at default!

Also, not sure why I put so much time last night into Bologna when the other track is so much fun to drive. I've only drove the Formula B so far, too, so I'll need to play around with the other cars. I just like that I actually know how to drive the FB now! >_>

Listen to the fucking awesome engine music man...

They make it sound like at the higher levels multiple people can join for a single membership?

“SENIOR”
TOOL PACK
(€100)
Target Audience: Groups, Clans, Teams

“MANAGER”
TOOL PACK
(€1000)

Target Audience: Small Businesses, Larger Groups

If that's actually true, we should see if we can get a GAF group started for it. Manager level includes a billboard in game!

Stop It

flashburn2012 said:
They make it sound like at the higher levels multiple people can join for a single membership?

“SENIOR”
TOOL PACK
(€100)
Target Audience: Groups, Clans, Teams

“MANAGER”
TOOL PACK
(€1000)

Target Audience: Small Businesses, Larger Groups

If that's actually true, we should see if we can get a GAF group started for it. Manager level includes a billboard in game!
Actually, yeah, if that's going to work I'll contribute.

I've already paid €25 in but I would gladly pay for a "group" pass to the game at a higher level.

Also, SMS just announced 4 of the UK tracks used by the BTCC (Under the Motorsport Vision umbrella) http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/four-motorsport-vision-tracks-coming-to-c-a-r-s/ One step closer to the BTCC in the game? Heck, if it needs me to pay €25,000 to get it done, I may need to phone my bank manager!

Kyaw

It would be cool if they showed the amount of investors for each tier.

Also i heard there's a new build coming out soon that has some form of AI and a new track?

fresquito

Kyaw said:
It would be cool if they showed the amount of investors for each tier.

Also i heard there's a new build coming out soon that has some form of AI and a new track?
A new build is coming tomorrow.

scitek

Stop It said:
Actually, yeah, if that's going to work I'll contribute.

I've already paid €25 in but I would gladly pay for a "group" pass to the game at a higher level.

Also, SMS just announced 4 of the UK tracks used by the BTCC (Under the Motorsport Vision umbrella) http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/four-motorsport-vision-tracks-coming-to-c-a-r-s/ One step closer to the BTCC in the game? Heck, if it needs me to pay €25,000 to get it done, I may need to phone my bank manager!

I'd be down for this. What's the difference between the tiers? Just pricing?

I can't find anything that references those higher tiers as being for more than a single individual except for the PDF doc that states their intended audiences.

Can one of you guys at the $25 tier ask a question about it on the forum? I can't even read the forums without contributing.

Stop It

flashburn2012 said:
I can't find anything that references those higher tiers as being for more than a single individual except for the PDF doc that states their intended audiences.

Can one of you guys at the $25 tier ask a question about it on the forum? I can't even read the forums without contributing.
Hmm, I'll ask, I mis-read initially!

Foliorum Viridum said:
So this is my first real attempt at playing with no assists on and everything on hard.

1:31.xxx isn't too bad. I mean, that's hardly a lightning lap, but considering that was after half an hour or so of practice I'm pleasantly surprised by how much progress I made. When you nail a few corners or, if you're lucky, a lap it feels so good but MAN it's easy to spin if you make the smallest mistake.

woah. speeding in pits. you're fired!

amar212

DTM on Imola.

My God, Imola /*tears/

So amazing, so freaking amazing, I want to buy a PC after 10 years I scraped the damn PC out of my house thinking it is forever - and start to play this.

What is the ETA for this? Is there any concrete track list being thrown around? Is it online-only game? Are there going to be any road cars with stock values and no-racing tires? I want answers while I browsing for hardware-parts, I am amazed in levels of 2007.

Thank in advance GAF!

Foliorum Viridum said:

actually that looks like pretty decent driving for a sim with no assists.

oh wait i see, holyshit lol

fresquito

amar212 said:
DTM on Imola.

My God, Imola /*tears/

So amazing, so freaking amazing, I want to buy a PC after 10 years I scraped the damn PC out of my house thinking it is forever - and start to play this.

What is the ETA for this? Is there any concrete track list being thrown around? Is it online-only game? Are there going to be any road cars with stock values and no-racing tires? I want answers while I browsing for hardware-parts, I am amazed in levels of 2007.

Thank in advance GAF!
There's no concrete track list. The community will be choosing circuits from a bunch that are thrown at us through polls.

It's not online-only game. Although the model will be free to play, there will be single player and co-op.

I don't know about road cars with stock values. But at this point, it can be commented and if people like the idea, it could be included. The thing about WMD developement is that devs are open to suggestions from the community.

Ask anything related to the game and I'll try to answer.

Top Bottom