• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Orgun

WTF is this?

DxES5.jpg

Looks a bit like the final corner of Budapest?

Megasoum

Banned
Reminds me a bit of Abu Dhabi F1 track with all the painted pavement.....

And ugh... I HOPE it's not Abu Dhabi, such a terrible track.

_machine

Not in today's build, unfortunately:
Build 327 (19/10/12, Team Member+)
Fixed the timeslice value in Vehicle::ExtrapolateDynamics
Season weather parameters now passed through to the races
Added cancel dialogs for MP UI screen transitions (join & create)
Fixed lobby list flicker
Added better detail and variety to disconnect warning dialogs (and added to text DB)
Changes to logging to stop compile errors on console builds
Added info-level logging when TCP connection is closed by the server
Alt+tab capability (free resources before DX device reset) ; CRenderer - enumeration of render targets for RenewDefaultPoolResources corrected - iterator re-initialization
Derby - tweak grandstand textures
Switch to player control instantly for rolling starts
Formula A: new suspension geometry plus setup tweaks for latest STM updates
Improved water droplets, using per pixel fresnel and reflective boost on droplets
Added per-pixel Fresnel support functions to allow better looking reflections on water droplets
Wisconsin Raceway - Add new txt for SetBackCafe
Northampton. Tweaked textures.
Derby - fixed intersection on pitwall viewer asset with marshal bridge
Visual polish to the HUD elements
Eifelwald new complete AIW. New main path, raceline, etc. supports 45 players
Audio: Formula B updated to new specs including vibration layer, EQ etc
Audio: updating Formula B with latest balancing changes
New Derby exports
Formula A definitely feels a bit better with the correct suspenion geometry, at high speeds corners you can feel/see it closing on the limit before it actually is there and even with a pad I could nicely balance it through some corners even though steering with a pad is what it is.

I was kind of disappointed by the visuals after watching the trailer, I'm looking at build 321 and it's not that pretty. I'vegot all the options cranked as high as they go. Are there certain tracks that look better than others and cars that look better than others?

Yes and no.

Some tracks aren't even finished.

amar212

Infenion, perfect.

pCARS is slowly shaping to become a TOCA for 21st century. What a beautiful development of things from every perspective imaginable.

I was kind of disappointed by the visuals after watching the trailer, I'm looking at build 321 and it's not that pretty. I'vegot all the options cranked as high as they go. Are there certain tracks that look better than others and cars that look better than others?
It's just not a very clean looking game. The aliasing glows in a horrible way, which is apparently something to do with the deferred rendering. Motion blur is awful too, I'd turn that off straight away. For me it needs to be as high res as possible, and absolutely 60fps, motion blur, detailed grass and bloom off. Then it starts to look alright. It looks way better in screenshots unfortunately.

_machine

It's just not a very clean looking game. The aliasing glows in a horrible way, which is apparently something to do with the deferred rendering. Motion blur is awful too, I'd turn that off straight away. For me it needs to be as high res as possible, and absolutely 60fps, motion blur, detailed grass and bloom off. Then it starts to look alright. It looks way better in screenshots unfortunately.
Part of the aliasing glow and shimmer is apparently also due to some bugs, which they can't sort quite yet. I remember the IQ used to be better some way back and most of the aliasing was in the parts that MSAA couldn't touch (they still haven't fixed everything like the windscreens in the Lotus's), hopefully with downsampling and the bugs fixed we can get a lot better IQ in the future. There's also the motion blur, shadows, grass, balancing and plenty more to revamp/do. Ian mentioned that Griff would be onboard once again soon so hopefully we'll get some DX11 stuff.

Dilly

Banned
Oulton Park, Snetterton, Brands Hatch and Donington hold such a special place in my heart from the time I played my first racing game.

Toca Touring Car Championship, played it for hours when I was a kid.

-edit

The new track that will be added is Infineon Raceway.

Two mentions of TOCA on the same page...<3

Looking forward to the improved STM in the new build. That's a nice clutch of UK tracks to go along with all the other great tracks that are already in there. These guys got the tracks thing covered!

TJP

The current TT at Road America changing to night in the not-Audi R18 is fantastic visually. Got my framerates back too with the latest builds, must have been the logging of an earlier build causing the frame rate loss.

Really impressed with the STM on the FA in today's build. Now it needs some tire noise and ffb polish to make the picture a little clearer. The limit can still be a little vague.

I'm really itching to see it on something other than a formula car.

Arucardo

I'm still waiting for the car I'm most interested in driving, the DRM Zakspeed Capri. If they get it right it's going to be a monster with huge turbo lag at low revs but pure insanity at the last 4-3 thousand rpm. DRM Revival is absolutely one of my favorite mods in rFactor.

Aaaawww yeeeeaaah.

_machine

Really impressed with the STM on the FA in today's build. Now it needs some tire noise and ffb polish to make the picture a little clearer. The limit can still be a little vague.
Hopefully these changes will help:
An important heads up that I've just checked in a code change to disable all of what we call the "bolt-on" FFB forces, things like throttle and brake vibration, jolts (for impacts), and steering scrub. This is the "pure" config AJ uses to test the STM and I think it's worthwhile us all working from this same clean base. Some may even prefer it, but I suspect most will find it a bit bland. Most importantly though it most clearly shows the low speed benefits of a new higher fidelity tyre approach AJ is working (which all being well should make build 328 on Monday). It also eliminates any "non-tyre" FFB factors polluting the STM testing.
Interestingly enough, it also now means that the no re-centering and heavy steering at stand still now comes from the actual physics instead of a canned FFB-effect:
The first thing you normally feel when you get in a sim (since "simmers" usually start from a stop, often in pits), is how the car feels standing still and then pulling out of the stall. The first part of the first impression is from a stop. And from a stop it is really cool. You turn the wheel and it resists...and then stops where you put it. It does not re-center. That in itself does not feel very right in most sims, so even just that is cool. But then the transition from stopped to very slow feels much less "canned" than I've felt before too (because it is not canned).
There's also some really interesting physicst talk in the AJ's Thread on how to approach the most realistic physics in a game and what are difficult parts of it.

_machine

I hope the STM is further polished for the next Junior build.

Some of these changes sound rather interesting.
I'd expect there to be more bug fixes and that sort of thing, but hopefully we'll get a new set of tyres for another car for the 2/11 build (or before). It could be a bit optimistic though since there seems to be a lot more work to do with the core of STM.

Good news is that thank to Arucardo I managed to at least get a temporary fix for my throttle by adding a hefty 28% DZ at the end of the pedal travel, but it certainly isn't enough to do some serious racing. Gonna have to take a look at the insides and see what's busted, if it's the pot then I might even be able to replace it (dunno if it's worth putting the effort in that pos). If it all goes to hell I think I'm gonna save the actual steering wheel though, I really like the MOMO even if it's a bit small.

Hopefully these changes will help:

Interestingly enough, it also now means that the no re-centering and heavy steering at stand still now comes from the actual physics instead of a canned FFB-effect:

There's also some really interesting physicst talk in the AJ's Thread on how to approach the most realistic physics in a game and what are difficult parts of it.

Interesting. Yeah, it makes sense to get the underlying tire feel correct first. It was only mid-corner in some of the hairpins (Tosa, and the last two corners at Donington) that gave me any problems. I'd be fine with not having scrubbing sounds, or not having scrubbing ffb, but not both at the same time.

He's absolutely right though, looping it in a hairpin is not something that would happen on the old tires. It's certainly much more sophisticated now.

_machine

If you are in the UK I could sort them out for you.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Finland and it's no problem really; I'm really just looking for an excuse to get rid of the thing even if it means being without a wheel for almost a year. If I can fix it myself then that's okay, but it's so crappy that I probably still won't end up using it much.

BTW, one guy on the forums is getting another 60K on the project pushing him to over 4xSM and rocktobers total quite high...

...and there should be 2 more SM packs coming up too (or atleast one), we'll probably beat the record of 308K&#8364; per month...

Dilly

Banned
Even just the daily investments are going up faster than ever. I hope it keeps up this momentum, would be fun to get the funding all done in 2-3 months.

_machine

Even just the daily investments are going up faster than ever. I hope it keeps up this momentum, would be fun to get the funding all done in 2-3 months.
Yeah, I must admit that that after hearing that my saving account's rate dropped from 3% to 1% I was definitely tempted to increase my toolpack or get a second account for the possible WiiU version (or give the game to my friend), but for some reason I didn't and kinda feel stupid putting down 2.5K€ with 1% interest rate which will give me like 15€ once the taxman takes his cut...

amar212

Hm, so basically you actually suggest (me) to drop another 900 euros in pCARS instead on savings?

Also, has anywhere been discussed how will we actually going to be paid-off if there is any profit once game launches?

_machine

Hm, so basically you actually suggest (me) to drop another 900 euros in pCARS instead on savings?

Also, has anywhere been discussed how will we actually going to be paid-off if there is any profit once game launches?
I'll leave the decisions to yourselves, but I've yet to see reason for my confidence to falter in any way. If you can afford to lose the money in worst case scenario and are willing to take the risk then you might want to at least think about it. I'm sure mclaren can give a few reasons not to, but I certainly can understand why people like Micas, Bounty, Martin and others have put so much on the same terms as everyone else. It's also fair noting that SMS themselves are going pretty much all-in even though they get a free 30% cut from the profits.

As for the profits paid back, they mentioned that they would be distributed in quarterly batches through paypal for <Manager toolpacks and if need be with bank transfers for the bigger toolpacks.

Dilly

Banned
From my understanding they need to seel 280k copies so people get their money back, at least that's what that excel file says.

amar212

From my understanding they need to seel 280k copies so people get their money back, at least that's what that excel file says.

Care to PM me that xcell file? Thanx in adv.

And yeah, I have been thinking in upgrading to Manager for days now and now you got me interested bit more with your previous post. Is there any news about ETA for end of financing?

_machine

Pretty much, yeah, I remember it having a publisher cut too so for example copies sold possibly SMS themselves or through Steam or similar would count yield more profit. The budget doesn't really include any marketing apart from the toolpack promotions that SMS have given to they guys that have made trailers like our ed3dfx. It does include the 30% SMS cut though, so the game really doesn't need to sell that much to break even.

And yeah, I have been thinking in upgrading to Manager for days now and now you got me interested bit more with your previous post. Is there any news about ETA for end of financing?
The end is when the 3.75 mil is broken so I guess a couple of months in the least.
Here's the profit estimation exel and thread
You should tone down the unit cost though, even through Steam you're not getting 45&#8364; from a 60&#8364; game, even less so from the console versions which will most likely be the main sellers and with the distributors cut.

_machine

Only if you're confident that this project will get a major publisher.

You know the risks if this stays a PC-only title.
Fair point, but it's one of the things I'm least doubting about; SMS absolutely need to get it on consoles and I'm sure if it comes to it they will make the necessary sacrifices to get the game released. Still given how well the funding is going at the moment SMS is definitely in a good negotation position.

Also, people have been reporting 40-50+ multiplayer races working pretty well already even though not everyone survives on to the grid. 64 player endurance races will be absolutely amazing with the changing weather and time.

mclaren777

Still given how well the funding is going at the moment SMS is definitely in a good negotiation position.

You really think so? As more and more people buy Full memberships, less and less people will need to buy the game. I personally don't expect the PC version to sell well (in the tradition sense) after launch. So you're right, SMS really needs to get this game on at least one console. If they fail to, this project will be lucky to break even, and that's assuming the "whales" don't sue for their money back.

_machine

You really think so? As more and more people buy Full memberships, less and less people will need to buy the game. I personally don't expect the PC version to sell well (in the tradition sense) after launch. So you're right, SMS really needs to get this game on at least one console. If they fail to, this project will be lucky to break even, and that's assuming the "whales" don't sue for their money back.
7500 full members is still pretty much peanuts in the grand scale and 20K active members isn't that much either. I admit that it's the one of the few reasons for small doubt, but we're still talking less than 10% of what the game needs to break even. But I think you're on the right track with the pc sales, Shift and S2U apparently sold about 5% of the total on pc and even with PC gaming on the rise and Steam's active userbase being higher than it was then, I'd say consoles is where the game will reach it's financial potential.

And as for the negotiation position yes, back when they first announced that they might be signing a deal SMS needed money to fund the game's development and said publisher wanted creative control in turn. Now SMS can complete the game by themselves and hopefully strike a deal for shipping the game like Valve did with their console games.

Watevaman

Quick question on the raindrops: are they only applied to certain cars? I think that Asano is the only car I've seen with raindrops on the paint, but I drove it with a custom livery and they weren't there.

_machine

Quick question on the raindrops: are they only applied to certain cars? I think that Asano is the only car I've seen with raindrops on the paint, but I drove it with a custom livery and they weren't there.
Yup, only on the Asano X4 and even then just the non-metallic default liveries. It's not applied on the glass either and not affected by wind/speed yet.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know how much can be done with deferred rendering, but I hope that some sort of (DX11?) anti-aliasing solution does get some improvement in the end, ideally something similar to MSAA. Take that last screenshot for instance -- the rail on the left looks great, probably because of free camera DOF being chosen, but the rail on the right is in focus and jaggy.

However, the shots look nice and I'm just nitpicking of course. :p

_machine

I don't know how much can be done with deferred rendering, but I hope that some sort of (DX11?) anti-aliasing solution does get some improvement in the end, ideally something similar to MSAA. Take that last screenshot for instance -- the rail on the left looks great, probably because of free camera DOF being chosen, but the rail on the right is in focus and jaggy.
Oh I definitely agree that the IQ isn't on the same level as the rest of the tech. Now that Griff should be coming back soon-ish, I hope he'll see if MSAA resolve could be improved on DX11 renderer, the stuff like windscreens not affected by MSAA I believe is a DX9 limitation and there should be some minor improvements that could be made for DX11. Downsampling is off course the best way for a good quality image (coupled with a bit of MSAA and maybe some SMAA) and is apparently what Griff will tackle on first, but it's most likely something that my hardware won't be able to run at playable framerates, certainly not before the game's optimized. I'd expect the polishing and balancing to improve the IQ, but that usually happens at crush stage and probably won't be a tremendous improvement.

fritolay

What is multiplayer going to be like?

Also how open it is to mods? If dirt tracks and type races are not in it, is this an option?

Three60

Build 328 is up

Build 328 (22/10/12, Team Member+)
Solution upgraded to VS 2010
Physic:
*Reinstate grip point for BTM.
*Switched to 3 rows of seta (24 long).
*Disable all "bolt-on" FFB forces during STM development and testing.
Switch to FMOD v4.42.03 Audio libs, VS2008 Xbox360/PS3/win32 libs., VS2010 Xbox360/PS3/win32 libs. Tweaks to expose more internals for debug metrics and project file changes to suit our setup.
FMOD v4.42.03 workaround for event categories not fading when unpaused more than once.
Online:
* Fixed assert in handling UserLeft notification, if it is the local user leaving very early in the connection handler, before UserJoined is received.
* Added CR_USER_SETUP notification on the admin that would be missing if a user's setup was changed as a result of host validation.
* Added option for enforcing identical vehicles by the admin.
* Added API to set/get the identical vehicles option.
* Modified lobby UI to set / display the identical vehicles option.
NAT handling improvements:
- Adaptive ping rate - do not send p2p pings that often when other traffic is using the direct connection anyway.
- Detect issues with the direct route. These include no traffic and no response to pings or sudden change in the port of incoming datagrams. Fall back to rebroadcasting and reattempt NAT punchthrough when issues are detected. When a connection has issues after reestablishing the direct route too often, fall back to rebroadcasting to that member for the rest of the session.
* Fixed formatting of non-ascii adapter name/description breaking the entries.
Audio:
* levels changes - especially to AI
* balancing changes to boost volumes of splutters in the light of recent changes
* balancing changes to rectify volume issues with damage.
* balancing adjustment to gravel
* balancing changes to Andy's previous config.
* some eq and compression changes to aid audibility for pit to car comms.
Tracks:
* Northampton, added night lighting spots and statics, added trees and bushes instances, texture updates
* Fixes to dynamic objects smoothing groups
* Lakeville GP new basic AIW. main path and 43 start spots. Needs triggers added and completed from there
* Wisconsin_raceway - add new txt for wooden fences
* New Derby dynamic ad boards and corner marker changes as requested on forum
* BelgianForrestCircuit Tweaked the saturation.
Cars:
* Gumpert wiper mask texture added. contains rivulet nmp x and y in rg, rivulet threshold mask in b and the 8 by 8 wiper mask cells in the alpha channel. Currently dxt 5 2048x1024. souce files added to psd sub folder. the rar contains the max file for creating the mask and a splash texture used in the max file for the pools of water from the wiper. The rar also contains 2 psd files for creating the texture. The first contains the channel swaps for the fina texturel but the content is uncompressed and the second contains all source rivulet data before it gets non uniformly scaled down to fit the final texture res. Finally in the rar is the TexturePacker file for combining the rendered pngs into a single sheet.
* Gumpert apollo: rain drop effect enabled. cpit windscreen mapped and ready for wiper mask effect
Several other track and car exports (no CL)

_machine

What is multiplayer going to be like?

Also how open it is to mods? If dirt tracks and type races are not in it, is this an option?
Dedicated Server software for PC, P2P for consoles. The overall design is still very much WIP, but things like co-op career, safety ratings, custom race scripts, hot seating, etc. are considered. I picked a few quotes from the first design meeting regarding multiplayer from the devs:
Hate to mention the name again, but iRacing have done a decent job at this - we should copy their best bits imo, the low hanging fruit. Then add cool stuff they haven't done.

This is possibly something we can tie into the Scripting. Allow the punters to designate their own requirements

So there's a huge opportunity there to 1) Unite the PC audience with a title that really excels (which I believe we're doing), 2) Be THE racing game on Wii U, and 3) Give console players a viable alternative to their racing game of choice (and get the competition worried!)

I think online has to be a big focus. Forza and GT5 are basically weak in those areas. A more organised system that lets people have properly organised, safe races, yet which isn't so complex and rule heavy as iRacing, would be a winner imo.

I think when you combine tire wear/fuel, dynamic localised weather, pit stops, and Pit2Car audio you've got a very special experience there

So in the past we've done a variety of things to try to get players 'match made' against others of similar experience using a fictional 'Driver Level' that loosely reflects how long you've been playing the game, Win/Loss ratio, # of Collisions, # of Disconnects etc.. Any ideas you guys have or anything you've seen elsewhere that might be a good addition?

So during Career, me and Joe Bloggs could race in a calendar event if we were online at the same time. Same as any co-op you might experience in any other game

Top Bottom