• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Kyaw

Blizzard said:
I tried the new build. In that car with the little antenna on the hood, I managed to just BARELY get under 1:45 on the Connecticut Hill track! This is a great accomplishment for me.

My latest theory in my effort to teach myself to drive is that to take corners, you must tap the brakes a couple of times, really hard, and then do the turn. I feel like there are probably a bunch of noob lessons I need to learn. For instance, I'm driving with most everything super pro hardcore except for automatic gearshifting. To drive courses quickly, do you need to be really good with manual gearshifting?

The first thing you should do when trying to drive quick is to use manual gearshifting.
Also having load cell brake pedals would be nice.

bathurst is promising! was there a new v8 car? forgot to look for new cars

Blizzard said:
My latest theory in my effort to teach myself to drive is that to take corners, you must tap the brakes a couple of times, really hard, and then do the turn. I feel like there are probably a bunch of noob lessons I need to learn. For instance, I'm driving with most everything super pro hardcore except for automatic gearshifting. To drive courses quickly, do you need to be really good with manual gearshifting?
Yeah, especially with heavier cars it's useful to touch the brake a little before doing the braking proper, to transfer the weight forward. Also, remember to blip the accelerator when changing gears down braking for turns to keep the rpms high so you won't spin out from gearbraking/liftoff oversteer type stuff.

Watevaman

I upgraded my tool pack to be a Team Member, but I have a question. I don't like what they did with Watkins Glen's time of day setting. Now the sun is on the other side and it just looks really lame compared to how it did before. Is there any way to change it?

Watevaman said:
I upgraded my tool pack to be a Team Member, but I have a question. I don't like what they did with Watkins Glen's time of day setting. Now the sun is on the other side and it just looks really lame compared to how it did before. Is there any way to change it?
well.. ask them if they can change it back, or provide that alternative you liked as well. hehe.

VVV Mars VG said:
Alas my PC still can't run C.A.R.S so I visited SMS and tried a few laps out on their office set-up and made the vids below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykt4yDTgOiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZDM-Vs7lM
oh cool. looking forward to watching these!

Blizzard

Banned
Watevaman said:
Not as far as I know, aside from posting a bunch in the track/graphics threads and hoping to convince them why it should be changed. I suspect a lot of things will change as they make slight graphics adjustments and eventually get into optimization.

And I don't know of any proposed car/track list for the end product. So far they seem to be going by which tracks seem most popular with the forum people, and I'm not sure if they've even done that yet with cars.

derFeef

It always find it weird that the TV is not integrated into the setup, would make much more sense to me. But maybe I am totally wrong since I never had the pleasure to use such a thing.

disap.ed

Kyaw said:
Nice setup from SMS.

Is there a proposed car and track list for the final game?

I would like to know of the planned cars too. Will this be GT/ Formulas only, or also street cars?

BTW, didn't know that this is planned for WiiU also, how will this work when I will donate now, can I afterwards choose which version I want when released?

So can you heal/toe downshift in this yet? I'm using a g25 and not getting the desired output with all 3 petals pressed, the car goes into neutral but it doesn't rev up due to the brake being pressed, which is really odd. Never happened in my other sims.

I've tried in the settings menu the different options where it say g25 combine petals/and g25 separate petals but did work(didn't really expect it to though).

Blizzard

Banned
disap.ed said:
I would like to know of the planned cars too. Will this be GT/ Formulas only, or also street cars?

BTW, didn't know that this is planned for WiiU also, how will this work when I will donate now, can I afterwards choose which version I want when released?
I don't think the console (or even sales model) is nailed down yet. Here are two threads for those interested in consoles to read:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?1184-What-is-the-plan-for-consoles
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?790-The-console-version-of-C.A.R.S

markao

I had some weird PC problems, probably related to a shortcut in the "reset PC" button and could not use my PC for some days, so I just updated the member list in the OP. If I missed your name, just sent me a PM with the info.

And some news from today: First vehicles licensing announcement

That Palmer Jaguar JP-LM looks like a lot of fun to drive, cannot wait to try it out.

I've been holding back a bit on doing a licensing announcement for vehicles until we had some final contracts drop onto my desk but now they're here, I'm very happy to be able to announce the first official batch of cars signed to the game. They are...

GUMPERT apollo s
You should have all noticed this car by now - it was our first signing and what a car it is (one of my personal faves). A full-on race-bred, mid-engined, RWD car, the design of the car is so optimised that GUMPERT claim it could drive upside-down in a tunnel if driven at sufficiently high speeds. :D
gumpertapollosqkas.jpg

Ariel Atom
A completely bonkers British-made sports car, the Atom is truly a vehicle for the track. With the chassis laid bare, minimal bodywork and weighing less than half a tonne, it's got a brutal power-weight ratio which makes it a great addition to the game.
ariel_atom2_3-420frontdjh4.jpg

Ariel Atom Mugen
Limited to a mere 10 models, the Atom Mugen is made in collaboration with the Japanese tuner Mugen and features a Mugen-tuned 270bhp engine from a Civic Type-R as well as a custom livery and badging.
2011-ariel-atom-mugen-6jhq.jpg

Ariel Atom V8
From mental to insane - that just about sums up the Atom V8. Limited to a run of 25 cars and with a V8 powering it, the car features a full sequential gearbox and a power to weight ratio of more than 900bhp/tonne!
2011-ariel-atom-v8-lux5jt5.jpg

Palmer Jaguar JP-LM
Just about the closest thing you can get to driving an actual Le Mans prototype, the Palmer Jaguar JP-LM is a mid-engined sports prototype car available to drive on the Palmersport days.
jp-lm1wk67.jpg

I hope you'll agree that these are all fantastic additions to the game and these are just the first of many to come. Enjoy! :)

fresquito

How many cars will be on track at once?
As many as possible! Sorry for the rather vague answer but rest assured that the overall aim is to be as authentic to each race discipline as possible within the technical limitations. In previous titles we aimed for 12 as this was optimum for both the available tech and lobby management in multiplayer games on consoles. Time and tech has moved on since then so we may have scope to re-evaluate this but it'll still likely be a balancing act against other things like dynamic weather.

Customizable HUD - we want to toggle each individual item on/off if possible
Yup, agreed.

Unlock all content for sim racers!
Two things here. Tracks will always be available for Quick and Multiplayer modes regardless of whether you've encountered them in Career. Vehicles however will still need to be purchased using in-game cash or real cash. C.A.R.S. uses a free-to-play model and so all content will be available to play through natural play of the game, but expecting to load the game up and have everything immediately accessible defeats that business model. This will be offset however with 'sneak peeks' of upcoming vehicles, rentals, and other ways to get early access to content.

We want a HUD for each car
Already confirmed by Ian - there will be vehicle-specific speedos/gauges.

Mouse control to look round the car?
Under investigation, certainly plausible.

Would be nice to see other areas around the track (eg. the driver briefing room, race control, driver motorhomes, etc)
Yup - they're a key part of a driver's career and therefore fall under the X-Statement of "The Complete Driver Journey" as outlined in the C.A.R.S. design document. The exact nature of this behind-the-race aspect hasn't been fully fleshed out yet, but are prominent in our mind.

It would be nice to experience the pit garage in more detail
See above.

It would be nice to watch a race from multiple grandstand/spectator hotspots
Agreed. I've mentioned before that it would be nice to have multiple replay 'styles' including onboard and TV presentation. I can definitely see a third being 'as if I were standing there myself' and you can see elements of this being tested with the current replay cameras where you might be looking through the mesh of the fence.

Ability to save multiple controller profiles
Definitely possible.

Dynamic track surfaces
This was present in previous titles and will likely make a return to complement the dynamic weather system.

When the game is released, will we still be able to use our cars/tracks or do we have to re-buy them?
Unknown at this point. It's likely that everything will be reset upon release since elements of the development version of the game will likely change for the final gold master.

Would the free-to-play model mean that the plan is to have cars and tracks continually added to buy and download one by one after the game is released?
Gone are the days of 'fire & forget' (ie, releasing a title and then moving on to the next project). Post-release, C.A.R.S. will likely be supported with further content and fixes. A plan for this will become available as development continues.

It would be nice to see race telemetry on another computer/iPad
This has popped up a few times. Firstly, people should be able to simply spectate races regardless. Secondly, if you're a member of your friend's race team, you should then get additional options like being able to view the live telemetry and speak directly to the driver(s). More on this as the team management aspect is developed. With regards to seeing live telemetry on an iPad I think it's an ace idea but we'd need to investigate the tech possibilities here first.

It would be nice to have multiple vehicle classes on the same track
Agreed, and it's likely that there will be occasions when this is evident.

Will there be drifting in the game?
Drifting is a form of motorsport and will be represented in the game but as for the planned Career structure, it is not the focus of the game and will be completely optional.

Any plans to include a vehicle driving school?
No plans currently, but the Test Track is there to provide a dedicated area for you to practice on and complete certain challenges. The game will likely have a tutorial of some form but probably only for more 'advanced' techniques like tuning or tire choice.

Race buildup/pace car/warmup lap/grid rundown - we want them all!
Wherever possible, we do too and will do our best. This will be known as the 'Full Race Weekend Experience' from now on.

As much FFB info as possible!
We're on it, guys!

It would be nice to be able to tweak offsets for the cockpit camera (ie. to adjust your driving position in the seat)
Should be possible to expose the values that we've preset into the game to give the final players some degree of personalisation here.

Will we have to pay for online private races with friends?
No. However, online access is likely to be unlocked via a one-time-use code that comes free with every new copy of the game (this is known as Online Pass on consoles). Second-hand purchasers will have to purchase an Online Pass. This system is one of the many steps that help to combat piracy.

Will there be a Hardcore career mode?
There are already some more extreme/realistic handling models. I can definitely see room for a Hardcore game difficulty too that incorporates some of the ideas already mentioned (no race restarts, pay for damage repairs, exclusive accolades/awards).

Career Mode - Tech Tree vs. Calendar vs. XP vs. Whatever Else
The aim with the career mode (as with the rest of the game) is to be realistic to what a real driver would experience. A calendar of weekends where events take place at locations therefore seems most appropriate here, with the player having to decide which events to take part in on particular days, planning their practice sessions, hiring the right team, qualifying well etc. This fits perfectly with the concept of seasons of racing, being a winner one year and trying to retain your crown the next, advancing to faster disciplines or retiring from one form of motorsport and jumping to something else completely.

Traditional 'gamey' concepts of XP or levelling up a character do not fit this vision therefore. That's not to say the player won't be aware of their progression through the game or feel a sense of improvement. They will just be visualized in different ways (trophies you've won, reputation amongst other drivers/teams, races won vs. entered, average finishing position etc).

Is it going to be a sim racer or an arcade game? How can you make sure both people are happy?
C.A.R.S. is the realistic representation of a real driver's career with authentic cars, tracks, and handling.

This is our priority. In any case where more advanced/hardcore/'sim' features are evident there will of course be a set of accessibility options in order to allow more casual players to learn them and get enjoyment out of them. This doesn't mean we're starting at the arcade end of the spectrum and plugging in sim features, nor does it mean we're starting at the sim end of the spectrum and 'dumbing it down'. We're putting in the features we all want to see, and will ensure that those who aren't as knowledgeable about them are introduced to them so they can learn and participate too.[/QUOTE]

Link to source

And here's a redesign of the telemetry HUD...

iRSBSG743Jv9i.jpg

iz1rmuTqP17ZG.jpg

1-D_FTW

Unlock all content for sim racers!

Two things here. Tracks will always be available for Quick and Multiplayer modes regardless of whether you've encountered them in Career. Vehicles however will still need to be purchased using in-game cash or real cash. C.A.R.S. uses a free-to-play model and so all content will be available to play through natural play of the game, but expecting to load the game up and have everything immediately accessible defeats that business model. This will be offset however with 'sneak peeks' of upcoming vehicles, rentals, and other ways to get early access to content.

Will we have to pay for online private races with friends?
No. However, online access is likely to be unlocked via a one-time-use code that comes free with every new copy of the game (this is known as Online Pass on consoles). Second-hand purchasers will have to purchase an Online Pass. This system is one of the many steps that help to combat piracy.

What exactly is there business model? Those seem like two distinctly different models.

Blizzard

Banned
Is that engineering update a recent post? I feel like a couple of those have already been addressed. I'm pretty sure you can look around the cockpit with the 360 controller, though maybe not with the mouse, and you can already adjust your seat/view position to some extent.

Also, I wasn't aware that the free to play model had been confirmed since everything thus far said that they would decide what model was best later on down the line, no?

It's good to see some new cars. I believe some people were suggesting an "ordinary" car would be a good option as well since most people don't have personal experience driving racecars, so maybe that will eventually show up as well.

fresquito

Their business model is a bit dark, yes. I don't like their take on it. I think they're thinking in milking from their customers, which I really dislike. And no matter how many times you comment about it on the forums, it seems they're very adamant about going the thoughest route for the player, when it comes down to money. I wish we could have some input on how the business model of CARS is set, but I'm afraid we don't.

Blizzard

Banned
He didn't reply in my thread, but one of the physics devs did reply to my PM about kart physics. :) So yeah, they're still in progress. The dev said that the model they have where fans provide feedback is very helpful.

Blizzard

Banned
I noticed that one of the code updates mentions updating AA options, so these will become available:
Note that 4x was already present under the 'Normal' AA option - the AA options are now 'OFF, MSAA2X,MSAA4X,MSAA8X,HIGH,MLAA ... there will be seperate menu option to set FXAA to 'OFF,LOW,MEDIUM or HIGH'
Also, judging from the code update comments, there may be some degree of client/server/multiplayer testing going on. I don't know if multiplayer will show up any time soon, but at least it might be in progress. :)

TheMan

Good lord this looks delicious. Reeeeeeeeeally wish I had a decent rig with a steering wheel to play this.

Blizzard

Banned
TheMan said:
Good lord this looks delicious. Reeeeeeeeeally wish I had a decent rig with a steering wheel to play this.
I'm a masochist so I've been using a wired 360 controller. =P

ALTHOUGH, when I have some spare time again, I actually want to do something crazy. I have a chatpad on the controller, so I plan to set up the driver and bindings so I can do some of the gear shift/turbo/whatever options that the controller by itself may not have buttons for.

fresquito

Here is an interesting thread for members only: Feedback from The Stig (aka, Ben Collins)

Build Release Notes

Build 82 (31/10/11)
Aussie Hill renamed Bathurst
Tweaked lighting values for render mode 3
Completed Bologna Reverse AIW
Added a temporary AIW for Glencairn Reverse with 16 grid spots
Added a temporary AIW for Bathurst with 16 grid spots
Extended SimpleBatch shader for new DX11 debug text
Added custom controls for HUD Cycle, HUD Sub-cycle, and Boost
LODC tires skinned temporarily to make deformations work on Leonus F68
Improved glass shader to reduce the milky look under direct sun
Fixed cameras and dynamic objects for Connecticut Hill Reverse and Connecticut Hill Short Reverse
Added slow change key to F1 menu (hold down control while changing value to get 1/10 speed)
Added "build installed" checks to patches

Build 83 (01/11/11)
Fix for sun/flare rotation/elevation not having an effect when WDF loads
Enabled DX11 Vertex Input Assembly tracking/shadowing
Enabled display of connection failure reason
Temporary AIW for Glencairn Reverse, Glencairn East Reverse, and Glencairn West Reverse
New suspension geometry and a quick pass over the physics for Nuke 3 to match up some real world numbers
Fixed the configure control screen bug which was in the previous build
New exports of all Connecticut Hill layouts with LOD files added to avoid tree pop-in

Build 84 (02/11/11)
Enabled ambient shadows in the rear view mirror
Added new Dbox code for motion chair
Updated the display names in the menu for all tracks, removing underscores
Reduced minimum ride height for the Leonus F68 Cromwell

Build 85 (03/11/11)
DX11 fix for missing GUI text under certain forced driver settings
Support for spotlight shadows and main directional shadowmap on a single texture/target
Enabled use of CTRL+S to bring up FPS counter (see image below)
Added full badging to Ariel Atom and changed name in game
New daytime lighting setups in game
* We have a bug in the latest build where you cannot use the F1 menu in DX11

ibbYQAhVFrUWZj.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
That's a very cool thread with the feedback from an actual racecar driver!

Fresquito, it looks like you don't have build 86 information from today. This build is the monthly one, available even to junior members, if anyone is interested.

Build 86 (04/11/11, Junior Member+)
New exports of all Connecticut Hill tracks
DX11 - improved QualityLevel and SampleDescription (count) handling. required for enhanced MSAA video options
Implemented Graphics Config and app-side support for MSAA 2X and MSAA 8X and also make FXAA seperate so it can be applied in combination to MSAA
Fixed being able to use the F1 menu in DX11
Changes to help with input lag on PC
Disable steering shake effects for now to eliminate them being a factor on visual lag reports
Fixed a buffer overflow crash with DX11
Fix for crash on selecting MSAA modes
Enabled Renderer metrics in all builds (CTRL S still wasn't working correctly in FINAL - it is now)
Modified shaders for improved car lighting
Tweaked day lighting for Bologna and Connecticut
Tweaked LOD distance settings for all Connecticut Hill tracks
Leonus F68: fixed corrupt skin on LODB suspension. Temporary skin on LODC tires to make deformation work
Ariel Atom: Dropped tire damping for an effective damping ratio of 0.1, which equates to a coefficient of restitution of 0.73.
Sun rotation updated on Bathurst

fresquito

Some interesting things:

Questions from the community: At what point will this game be ported to consoles? Is there a different dev team for each platform? How will that be tested? And how will the monetization work. I understand the PC concept, but I'm not sure how free to play will work with consoles.

Answers from Ian Bell, studio head: The dev team we have right now will also code the console versions with the exception of a few console-specific chaps who 'own' the maintenance of the code on each platform. This is how we did it with Shift and it worked well. The PC-specific stuff is mainly on the graphics side and much of the rest runs as-is. We do need to dance through multiple 1st party TCR hoops but the tech is such that we can build once and deploy 3 times (with the exception of machine specialisations).

The funds we receive from members also pay for the console development. Thus, the 'fees' paid to everyone at the end should be higher.

Regarding monetisation, we will scout the landscape about 6 months before launch and make the call then. The move is toward free-to-play support from 1st parties but maybe we'll go full priced retail product, or maybe a low cost 'core' with additional add-on packs. Again, whatever gives us the best potential return.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fixed on a free-to-play model. I also think shipping a solid core base for 10 Euros with adequate content and offering DLC from there is workable. As is a full priced product. We're just examining all the options because the full priced model is going the way of the dinosaur.

It also looks like C.A.R.S. might be getting a new name soon...

"OK, enough agreement on Project CARS. We'll go about renaming now. This isn't the final name necessarily guys. It's a project development name. Given what we're doing I think the word Project works on at least two levels. The term Project also indicates that it is subject to change. We're also about to hit the mainstream gaming sites and need to have a searchable term." - Ian Bell

Blizzard, I was about to post them ;)

Blizzard

Banned
I definitely recommend that people who didn't like the handling or input response before try it now. I may have still gotten input lag with low framerate, but I didn't try closing everything else on my computer first. 2xMSAA has a bug where the screen goes crazy colors, but other AA variants should work.

With the Formula 2 car, I set a new record for myself on the Connecticut Hill course, I think just under 1:40 with the 360 controller and everything set to pro/hard difficulty. That's a bad time but good for me. =P

And have I gone crazy or were the curbs not like this in previous builds? I was really noticing the curbs today. They're noticeably raised, if you drive over them your car noticeably tips, and even the 360 controller rumbles in a helpful fashion if you go onto one going around a corner. This is a big improvement over what I seem to recall, which was the car immediately transitioning from pavement into "you've touched grass, time for the car to go crazy".

*edit* Oh, and I feel like the cars feel heavier, more stable, or something like that in general. You can still spin out or go into slides, and you can still go around corners if you slow down, but overall they feel more stable and controllable. I look forward to impressions from people with more driving sim experience than me. :)

markao

Also just tried newest pre-alpha build (086) and it's nice to see the devs changing the lightning step by step, trying to find that realistic sweetspot.

oh and my favorite car of the moment summed up in two shots :p

All feeling ok, turn in all ok, car feels nice and settled, press accelerator mid turn little to much, smallest bump and oooops ;)

cars_ffb2011-11-0422-9cf7m.png

cars_ffb2011-11-0422-hhfrw.png

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, and for anyone who doesn't like new lighting settings, press F1 to open the debug menu. Enter selects things and backspace goes back to the higher level menu. You can do things like changing the HDR mode (I think it's buried under Render or Rendering somewhere) to get slightly different lighting styles in addition to other settings that people who know photography might get use out of.

Blizzard

Banned
mblitek said:
Mosport!

I think I'll donate $1000 :)
Well it's a bit more after the exchange rate...but if you do and post confirmation, that will push the GAF total over 1000 pounds and I'll have to match. If we end up with two managers, we'll have like, TWO billboards. =P

fresquito said:
Here is an interesting thread for members only: Feedback from The Stig (aka, Ben Collins)
oho, had missed this thread. somewhat very awesome!

Blizzard said:
Well it's a bit more after the exchange rate...but if you do and post confirmation, that will push the GAF total over 1000 pounds and I'll have to match. If we end up with two managers, we'll have like, TWO billboards. =P
how much is the total at now? you know I'm in for senior money right? ;)))

have been running a shit ton of dtm car laps on imola last couple of weeks. so fucking great. might be my favourite car/track combo ever. in any sim/game. rfactor catalunya on one of the f1 mods is actually second place now :O yep, seems so.

not really noticed a lot of difference between build 81 and 86, but I am not hypersensitive to changes. the pre-81 lift-off oversteer change into 81 was huge though, noticed that immediatly.

fresquito

Total GAF fundrising so far:

GAF Name -- Level -- WMD Name
Blizzard -- Senior -- (GAFBlizzard)
[name redacted] -- Senior -- ()
markao -- Team Member -- (Mark vdM)
Kyaw -- Team Member -- (Kyaw)
Foliorum Viridum -- Team Member -- (Foliorum Viridum)
Lucius86 -- Team Member -- (Lucius86)
fresquito -- Team Member -- (fresquito)
sneaky77 -- Team Member -- (sneaky77)
Stop It -- Team Member -- (Stop It)
Yoritomo -- Team Member -- (Yoritomo)
flashburn2012 -- Team Member -- (flashburn)
Shawsie64 -- Team Member -- (shawsie64)
DOBERMAN INC -- Team Member -- ()
Frawder -- Team Member -- (Frawdder)
desu -- Team Member -- ()
Imp the Dimp -- Team Member -- ()
19KILO -- Team Member -- (19Kilo)
wowzors -- Team Member -- (wowzors)
ShinyBallBoy -- Team Member -- (ShinyBallBoy)
Captain Rizla = team member (Captain Rizladilly)
Dilly -- Team Member -- (Dillyracer)
mclaren777 -- Team Member -- (mclaren777)
Watevaman -- Team Member -- ()
supersaw -- Team Member -- (supersaw)
foogles -- Junior Member -- (fooglesdimitr)
Dimitri2401 -- Junior Member -- (dimitri2401)
Pepto -- Junior Member -- ()
R1CHO -- Junior Member -- ()

2 Senior Members
22 Team Members
4 Junior Members

69% towards the goal

Plus some night racing ahoy!

ibhS8J6Ckc8THp.jpg

markao

fresquito said:
Total GAF fundrising so far:
That one is incorrect, list in OP is the correct one.

Also organised the OP some more, as I suggest we will using this tread for a while ;)

Blizzard

Banned
I was gonna be all whaaaa, night mode is in the game already, but then I realized that was a screenshot posted by one of the devs. =P

It sounds like there are some plans for weather or changing times of day, though initially things will stay simple and scripted -- moving clouds, a few preset times, I think that sort of thing. It looks like the engine can already handle switching the time of day around, though. There's a setting in the F1 debug menu that lets you toggle the sunlight/cloudy setting.

Blizzard

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
have been running a shit ton of dtm car laps on imola last couple of weeks. so fucking great. might be my favourite car/track combo ever. in any sim/game. rfactor catalunya on one of the f1 mods is actually second place now :O yep, seems so.

not really noticed a lot of difference between build 81 and 86, but I am not hypersensitive to changes. the pre-81 lift-off oversteer change into 81 was huge though, noticed that immediatly.
Thanks for the feedback. I would be interested to hear if anyone else with FFB wheel setups finds the new builds to be an improvement.

On an amusing note, apparently the work-in-progress Bathurst track doesn't have correct wall collision, presumably until Friday. So if anyone is going to practice the Bathurst route, you'd better be an outstanding driver. =P

Blizzard

Banned
Changes so far this week:

Build 89 (09/11/11, Senior Manager)
Completely new physics and AI changes for the Asano X4
Up-resed textures on Connecticut Hill

Build 88 (08/11/11, Manager+)
App-side fix for broken 'HIGH' AA mode
Reverted previous change to go back to GetSmoothedUnfilteredSteering for non-wheel controllers
New Kart physics for better drivabilty. Many tweaks to the tyres and chassis
Ariel Atom 300: Torque curve rebuilt to match dyno chart
Fix for GUI video options list scrolling through in the wrong order bug
New physics based on removing the "Use Tyre Stiffness=" parameter form the CDF. Apparently put there to soften the increased tyre stiffness through the game pads. (Formula B, and Asano LM11 TDX)
Updated emap factor to fit wheels shader
New Bathurst export fixing cars flying off the track
I don't think I drove the X4 much, but I look forward to seeing what the new kart physics, tyres, and chassis changes bring. Also, Bathurst should be safer to drive again. =P

Blizzard

Banned
There's a new car and two new tracks for today's team member build! (it will still presumably be another 12+ hours before it's available for download)

Build 91 (11/11/11, Team Member+)
Paint UV mapping finished, LODX meshes finished, collision meshes added for GUMPERT apollo S
Temp. LODA/CPIT meshes added, lots of bug fixes for GUMPERT apollo S
GUMPERT apollo S (alpha 1) added to the game
New physics for the Ariel Atom
Ariel Atom LODA wip check in
Both Racer cars: CPIT suspension models added
Belgium Forest track added
California Raceway track added

First pass at a new UI checked in
Resolution increase to 1080p across UI, TILE interface on Login, MainMenu, QuickSolo, Loading screens

Known Issues:

* Brake lights have a rendering issue on the GUMPERT apollo S when racing with AI

* Both Belgium Forest and California Raceway have no AI support yet

* When changing tracks in Race mode, if you pass over either Belgium Forest or California Raceway, number of AI will disappear. You must exit out the race menu, and re-enter to change AI for other tracks afterwards

* The Race button on the new UI intermittently loses mouse button support, keyboard enter or using a pad will work though

Build 90 (10/11/11, Senior Manager)
All Racer cars:
New physics
All suspension models skinned
Suspension skeleton and animations updated for both cars
New placeholder record screens on loading screen

Watevaman

Man, they are just punishing other development cycles with how on top of things they are.

Got a question, is it possible to change the livery of the car you're driving? Obviously there are different liveries, but I haven't found an option to pick one yet.

Watevaman said:
Man, they are just punishing other development cycles with how on top of things they are.

Yes, already in the Shift games it was amazing to see how many tracks they were able to add, especially when compared to the glacial pace that tracks are added to a game like Forza.

markao

Watevaman said:

Got a question, is it possible to change the livery of the car you're driving? Obviously there are different liveries, but I haven't found an option to pick one yet.
No, not yet, only the AI uses the different liveries.

And one hour left for the new build & hopefully Skyrim, long weekend ahead. :p

[EDIT] Latest build 091 availble now for download, for team+ members

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, I'll download it this evening. And for clarity, one of the new tracks is "Spa", which is apparently a fairly famous racetrack (I don't know a lot of famous racetracks so maybe one of you will recognize it). I think the California one is a semi-well-known track too, but I don't know the name.

markao

Blizzard said:
Yay, I'll download it this evening. And for clarity, one of the new tracks is "Spa", which is apparently a fairly famous racetrack (I don't know a lot of famous racetracks so maybe one of you will recognize it). I think the California one is a semi-well-known track too, but I don't know the name.
If you do not know Spa-Francorchamps, you indeed do not know many tracks ;) The other is Willow Springs, also been present in the two Shift titles, nice lay-out in the middle of nowhere.

Just tried the new build and do like the changes in the tires, slightly less grippy, but more predictable (when they loose grip and re-grip, slides).

Video from latest build (091): Two laps in Audi LM11 tdx @ Bologna

wiggleb0t

Banned
Tempted.. If someone could please answer a few questions that would be most appreciated.

1.What is crossfire support/performance like for ATI users? I have a 5970 & 5870 and would be gutted if this didn't work with crossfire.
2. I plan to use a xbxo360 controller, is this ok?
3. What is the rough ETA on when the full title would be released?
4. Have any replay videos been released?
5. Is a demo available to try before taking a dive?

Top Bottom