Project Draco unveiled and detailed: Kinect-only Panzer Dragoon successor on XBLA

#1
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/16050400.html


- The story takes place 150-200 years in the future. After humanity migrates to another planet, some incident eventually causes the destruction of that world. The survivors of the incident create a new form of society where they modify dragons into means of transport and become dragon riders.

- The game is a rail shooter where you control dragons for combat. There are various different types of dragons to choose from, and in the demo session they showed off the first dragon you can use in the game - the Bloodskin.

- The game is directed by Yukio Futatsugi at Grounding, but the dragons are designed by Manabu Kusunoki who is currently at Land Ho. Both creators originally made the Panzer Dragoon games.

- In the demo they showed off the controls of the game for the first time. Reaching out with your right hand, you lock-on to multiple targets for the Homing Laser attack. With your left hand, you can trigger the manual Fire Breath single target attack. Swinging down both arms together will unleash the strong Eclipse Ray attack.

- But the game isn't just limited to these three attacks, there is an indepth system where you can develop and advance your dragon, including adding more attacks and options for combat.

- After completing a stage, you get food for your dragon. By feeding the dragon you unlock skills which expand what the dragon can do. These skills include being able to lock on to more targets, doing more damage, etc. There are 150 different types of skill to explore.

- Originally when they showed off the game, they showed that you can control the dragon using your hands on the Kinect. This was a mistake. It turned out to be a bad idea so now this game is a traditional rail shooter where the dragon moves on its own. Also, it is tiring if you move your hands around too much, so the ideal pace for a Kinect game is about 5 minutes for a single quest.

- Project Draco has been in development for about a year or so now. It is due for release in early 2012 on XBLA. The director hopes that it will be a new benchmark not just for Kinect-only titles (lol) but also for the quality and standard of XBLA games.



Edit: More details have appeared in another preview.

http://www.insidekinect.com/2011/09/project-draco-revealed-screens-and.html

Movement is controlled by leaning left and right, pulling back and leaning forward, much as it would be if you were actually sat upon a dragons back.
You can then take your dragon online and play alongside friends' dragons via 3-player online co-op.
 

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
#4
I think Panzer Dragoon Orta is the only game in which I beat every single difficulty and got every single unlockable.

I am super excited for this game.
 
#6
duckroll said:
- After completing a stage, you get food for your dragon. By feeding the dragon you unlock skills which expand what the dragon can do. These skills include being able to lock on to more targets, doing more damage, etc. There are 150 different types of skill to explore.
Shades of Saga. Love it!
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
#13
duckroll said:
- Project Draco has been in development for about a year or so now. It is due for release in early 2012 on XBLA. The director hopes that it will be a new benchmark not just for Kinect-only titles (lol) but also for the quality and standard of XBLA games.
:(
 

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
#24
Is probably partially MS-funded to be a Kinect only title, so I doubt it. Its from the cream of that "need some hardcores games" crop that suddenly all got announced at once after all.

Never thought I'd feel so sad about a Panzer Dragoon (spiritual) sequel :(
 
#26
Pie and Beans said:
Is probably partially MS-funded to be a Kinect only title, so I doubt it. Its from the cream of that "need some hardcores games" crop that suddenly all got announced at once after all.

Never thought I'd feel so sad about a Panzer Dragoon (spiritual) sequel :(
Huh? The game might be developed by Grounding, but this is a MS first party game. They own the IP too.
 
#27
Nuclear Muffin said:
It's a shame that it has been relegated to XBLA (sign of the times), but either way it sounds fun to play at least.
I disagree, it's a great thing to have kinect games as always available titles on your console. Kinect games are rarely played in long sessions or during long periods, so you mostly want to play them on a whim and having to fetch a disk is an inconvenient in that case.
It's also true for arcade games, especially fighters. Among all the titles that I wish to go back to but never do are games like VF5, DOA4, Kinect Sports, Dance Masters and COE. On the contrary, from time to time I get a quick fix of Soulcalibur XBLA, Rez HD or fruit ninja.
 

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
#29
duckroll said:
Huh? The game might be developed by Grounding, but this is a MS first party game. They own the IP too.
ah so all-funded then like the Frontier stuff. Its not so much 'First Party' when that way but comes under that umbrella. Owning the IP makes me even sadder. Phantom Dust, spiritual Panzer Dragoon sequel... all licenses to be sat on forever more!
 

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
#32
I've had a friend tell me about his love of Panzer Dragoon, though I had never played any of the games, and personally I love a good game with some dragons, actually, ignoring games, dragons are just awesome in almost anything which is why Lair was such a disappointment for me.

But Kinect only, blech.
 
#43
duckroll said:
- Originally when they showed off the game, they showed that you can control the dragon using your hands on the Kinect. This was a mistake. It turned out to be a bad idea so now this game is a traditional rail shooter where the dragon moves on its own. Also, it is tiring if you move your hands around too much, so the ideal pace for a Kinect game is about 5 minutes for a single quest.
Buuh... This and the awful, awful dragon designs shown here are major turn offs. About the only cool thing known so far is the area in that first screenshot...

If this is what major portions of Team Andromeda can achieve these days then I dread of the day SEGA announce a "true" sequel from completely different people...

Is this how Star Wars fans felt after seeing Kinect Star Wars? Well, they're probably more used to disappointment by now... I hope Panzer Dragoon fans won't have to be...
 
#45
....I guess this would be the equivalent of finding out a new DK game is being released, but you control it with bongos.

God almighty. The kinect and it's software provide lots of fun indeed, but in no reality can I see traditional Panzer gameplay work well with it. The control scheme sounds like it adds nothing but potential fatigue and frustration to something like this. Then again, I hear child of Eden works well enough right? Maybe there is hope.
 
#46
kinggroin said:
....I guess this would be the equivalent of finding out a new DK game is being released, but you control it with bongos.

God almighty. The kinect and it's software provide lots of fun indeed, but in no reality can I see traditional Panzer gameplay work well with it. The control scheme sounds like it adds nothing but potential fatigue and frustration to something like this. Then again, I hear child of Eden works well enough right? Maybe there is hope.
Child Of Eden works excellently with Kinect. I have no worries about the control scheme.
 
#47
Child of Eden indeed becomes a much more fun and involving game with Kinect, but making this Kinect only is such a bad decision...
 
#48
kinggroin said:
....I guess this would be the equivalent of finding out a new DK game is being released, but you control it with bongos.

God almighty. The kinect and it's software provide lots of fun indeed, but in no reality can I see traditional Panzer gameplay work well with it. The control scheme sounds like it adds nothing but potential fatigue and frustration to something like this. Then again, I hear child of Eden works well enough right? Maybe there is hope.
It may sound like blasphemy, but DK Bongo Blast on the Gamecube with the bongo control was the most fun I ever had with a DK game, and I played the SNES ones extensively. I'm tentatively excited for the controls here, only because I would have never bought a Kinect without something of this magnitude, and my reservations about Kinect haven't disappeared with one title. We will see how good this turns out, but if it's the masterpiece that it looks and sounds like, MS has a new reason to celebrate.
 
#50
eso76 said:
Child of Eden indeed becomes a much more fun and involving game with Kinect, but making this Kinect only is such a bad decision...
I imagine for MS this is only a bad decision if you don't have a Kinect. Making it Kinect only and a XBLA title is a smart decision. They stop it having the fate of something like CoE and it will be priced competitively.