• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Eternity GAF Inn Design Discussion - Let your voice be heard!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is a thread to discuss how we as a community would like the GAF Inn designed.

The hard part is over, now the fun part begins!

Special thanks to shagg_187 for starting the thread and reserving the Inn and everyone that donated!

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer will be getting his GAF account approved (If it hasn't already) and other Obsidian Game Designers may come on GAF to chat with us about the Inn.

I plan on having the OP updated with relevant information and ideas that seem to have the most support.

PaulLFC

Good idea. I think one of the big discussions is "GAF memes or no GAF memes"? I don't mind them personally - obviously they'd have to fit in with the game world, but I don't think anyone has to worry about them standing out too much or anything like that - remember Obsidian have the final say on everything, so I'm sure they'll let us know if anything is out of place.

I'm sure there's room for a few subtle nods to GAF, it is GAF's inn after all!

dude

dude
Don't know who opened it, saw it in the last thread: http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1fdfa0

Google Moderator. Submit your ideas!

Personally, I think GAF meme should be carefully adapted to both resemble their originals but also to not be too obvious or out of place. The Inn should be distinctly GAF while also fitting in with the setting and not being too obvious or obnoxious.

Don't know who opened it, saw it in the last thread: http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1fdfa0

Google Moderator. Submit your ideas!

Personally, I think GAF meme should be carefully adapted to both resemble their originals but also to not be too obvious or out of place. The Inn should be distinctly GAF while also fitting in with the setting and not being too obvious or obnoxious.

Yeah, I set that up after someone suggested Google Moderator. Dunno if it'll be of any help though, but it doesn't hurt to have it up.

We should also regularly hold Google holdout sessions to just brainstorm periodically, and discuss the proposed ideas that have gotten positive feed back - maybe once a month, once every two months up until we've finalized the idea in conjunction with Obsidian.

ultron87

The one thing I think we definitely need to have is some sort of "membership" for the inn/tavern that has a semi-random waiting period.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, I dunno if the Google Moderator is working. I don't think you can post more than one reply to each "Question".

Doesn't look like you can. It looks like only you can respond as well, I don't see any way to do anything other than submit questions.

I don't think it's what we need, it's more for Q&A things than a discussion like this

dude

dude
Doesn't look like you can. It looks like only you can respond as well, I don't see any way to do anything other than submit questions.

I don't think it's what we need, it's more for Q&A things than a discussion like this
you could do it in the Wasteland 2 one...

Corto

I'm sure Obsidian as soon as the pledge campaign ends will send some guidelines to create the inn, and what more specifically can we add as a personal flavor to it. But in general, I agree memes should be subtle to nonexistent.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm sure Obsidian as soon as the pledge campaign ends will send some guidelines to create the inn, and what more specifically can we add as a personal flavor to it. But in general, I agree memes should be subtle to nonexistent.

I think they should come out with guidelines first before we discuss anything. Stuff like where these inns are located etc could be very important for designing them.

Violet_0

Banned
The one thing I think we definitely need to have is some sort of "membership" for the inn/tavern that has a semi-random waiting period.

I like this idea. They could make it so that at some point later in the game, after earning fame and glory and making a name, a messenger searches out the player's party with an letter of invitation

I'm looking forward to the point where we start finding out what our 'design specs' are, as it were. Size of the map, how much creative freedom we have, how integrated we'd be able to have it in the game systems, etc etc. That'll be the point we can really get our thinking caps on.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm looking forward to the point where we start finding out what our 'design specs' are, as it were. Size of the map, how much creative freedom we have, how integrated we'd be able to have it in the game systems, etc etc. That'll be the point we can really get our thinking caps on.

Yep.

JDSN

Banned
Im guessing people are gonna want a list of limits to what can be done, in the meantime:

eagle_in_the_sunset.jpg

F!ReW!Re

Im guessing people are gonna want a list of limits to what can be done

Yep;

We need to know how much freedom we are getting with the design of the inn:
- Is it located in a big city or in a small town or even out in the wilds (along a highway)
- Are we allowed to make up quests that are being given out by people/creature's in the inn?
- Can we have a dungeon/back area in the inn (like for example the copper coronet had in Bg2)
- Do we have the freedom to design the whole building? Exterior as well as interior?

I'd prefer to keep GAF memes extremely subtle. In no way should they break the immersion.

Definetly.

My personal no-go list would consist of the following:

• Explicit GAF memes
  • Any non-GAF memes
  • Any named users (Evilore being the sole exception seeing as he'll probably be around for as long as GAF is)
  • Any named GAF "events"

I'd personally not want to see an NPC in a corner go "gotta go ly dow," or whatever, or a "Count Temporal Puppy" fight a "Lord Blameful Space".

We don't have to stick in GAF memes and inside jokes, you know! :p

I would love to have a fantastic Inn, Weapon and NPC along with a quest or two (or more!) surrounding the Inn.

Remember when you play a quest-based game and they're one or two sidequests that stick out and you enjoy the shit outta it? I want this to be it for everyone, whether they know GAF or not.

I want them to play it and say "Damn. That was good!", go on google and search about the quest and end up being redirected to a thread here showing how the entire quest was created.

I have a dream!

Toma

We don't have to stick in GAF memes and inside jokes, you know! :p

I would love to have a fantastic Inn, Weapon and NPC along with a quest or two (or more!) surrounding the Inn.

Remember when you play a quest-based game and they're one or two sidequests that stick out and you enjoy the shit outta it? I want this to be it for everyone, whether they know GAF or not.

I want them to play it and say "Damn. That was good!", go on google and search about the quest and end up being redirected to a thread here showing how the entire quest was created.

I have a dream!

Still depends on what we are allowed to do though. Whether we can do quests at all, and whether the quests can also revolve around something that is not directly inside the inn for example.

How about some sort of an item you can get through a conversation branch with an NPC, or by stealing it from him/her, or by killing him/her that grants you reduced prices or special services at the inn.

Like the "Cloth Patch of Evil Lore" or something.

Polari

How about some sort of an item you can get through a conversation branch with an NPC, or by stealing it from him/her, or by killing him/her that grants you reduced prices or special services at the inn.

Like the "Cloth Patch of Evil Lore" or something.

You get it by trading topless pictures of your girlfriend. The NPC can be a wealthy man of husky build.

Resurrection!

Sorry for the lack of any proper OT or update. Obsidian has been super busy so I don't want to bug them. Also, it's been super busy at my workplace this month (it's not easy making them planes!), and I barely get time to go home and create a thread or nice/decent OT. November shall be when shit gets awesome!

Thread resurrection. I don't want to keep my incompetence of creating an official thread in a timely fashion to the lack of amazing discussion.

Fire away! Where is your god now?! Trojita is your new god!

As always, this belongs to all of you and I don't want any roadblocks.

F!ReW!Re

So how would you guys suggest we start this up?

Squiddy suggested 3 votes and 3 ideas/suggestions each in the original thread:

I say every backer gets 3 votes, and are allowed to make three suggestions each.
Then we just vote on what sugestions we want, the top (whatever amount, up to Obsidian) are used to build the Inn/NPC/whatever.
Because Evilore owns the GAF trademark, he has a final say on what suggestions should be used.

Or do we just spitfire random ideas in here? (Sound kinda messy)
We could also wait till we actually get to see the guidelines/forms that Obsidian is currently putting together.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's back!

It might be better to brainstorm ideas before a vote is settled in. A brilliant idea later on might not get enough votes, or we could have a lot of revotes.

Keasar

At least one item that represents the GAF logo should be in, I vote shield! Also Evilore needs to be the bartender.

Evilore is already in the game. :p

Bishoptl is a great contender for bartender!

Bish should be the guard at the inn that stops fights, throws people out the window, and doesn't say much. An occasional line of text will pop up saying "Bish is taking notice" or "Bish is staring at you."

dionysus

Yaldog
There should be no GAF memes. I bet if you polled GAF members not a single GAF meme or GAF member would even be recognized by more than 50% of GAF. Now extend this to the gaming population at large, we are talking about a minute percentage of total players getting it.

Within the guidelines given by Obsidian, we should focus on a unique and entertaining experience for everyone.

OTIX

At least one item that represents the GAF logo should be in, I vote shield! Also Evilore needs to be the bartender.

I suggested this in the original thread:

How about the Goose And Fox inn?

The circular sign above the door would be an orange fox jumping on a grey goose flapping its wings.

A subtle way to get the name and logo in the game without breaking the setting.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't want GAF memes. They would appear to be nothing more than rubbish 5-10 years down the track. We can barely remember what we posted 2 weeks ago, let alone what infamous dealings have happened 5 years ago.

I like the Goose and Fox Inn idea.

Toma

I don't want GAF memes. They would appear to be nothing more than rubbish 5-10 years down the track. We can barely remember what we posted 2 weeks ago, let alone what infamous dealings have happened 5 years ago.

I agree.

Yeah. I somewhat agree but very very little subtle things that represent GAF could be there. Memes should stay away because 5 years down the line we will look back and cringe at the fact that we finally were able to provide an opinion and idea in a prospective-AAA title and we wasted it on dickbutt jokes.

Keasar

Can agree on the memes. Not that good over a long time.

Having the guests make idle chatter that is subtle referring to GAF would be fun. Like a guest getting called out on hating a tourney even though he have never seen it, or maybe that's a little too vague and common just all across the internet boards but something like that I mean.

PFD

I'm trying to think of an appropriate way to reference GAF gifs and the whole GAF > Internet > GAF thing. Maybe have a magical animated painting on one of the walls, Harry potter style?

Frankly, the only specific things that should be mentioned are Evilore and Bish. Everything else would date the references a bit too much, I think, and possibly break immersion.

Top Bottom