• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proposal: Mega Youtube Panel for GOTY discussion

Machina

Banned
I will definitely start off by saying that what I am about to propose is mostly preposterous fandreaming that is very unlikely to happen, however I am aware that a lot of the people I am about to mention are regular frequenters of GAF, so if I can even achieve so much as planting the seed of curiosity in their minds, that would be a victory for me.

This was inspired by Funhaus own Elyse Willems, formerly of Gametrailers, appearing as a guest panelist on Kinda Funny's Gamescast. She instantly developed great chemistry with the KF guys, and it reminded me of how long it has been since we've seen her interact with her former GT companions, now Easy Allies, and how I would love to see her working with them again even if it's only a one time deal.

So here's my reasoning, these groups get together for a mega Youtuber GOTY debate/discussion. To avoid overdoing it, they could have a representation from each segment, e.g:

Greg Miller and Tim Geddys from KF
Kyle Bosman, Ben Moore/Michael Huber and Brandon Jones from Easy Allies
Elyse and James from Funhaus

And If you really wanna get crazy, maybe Jim Sterling and TB, Dodger and Jesse Cox can get in on the action. It's the Youtube Gaming All Stars lineup.

As I said, very unlikely to happen, but allow me my flights of fancy. Seeing all of my most respected figures in the Youtube gaming scene in one place interacting with each other for an important calendar event would be hype.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
No thanks. I would rather hear 200 GAF members argue GOTY out than all those people.

Lime

So here's my reasoning, these groups get together for a mega Youtuber GOTY debate/discussion. To avoid overdoing it, they could have a representation from each segment, e.g:

Greg Miller and Tim Geddys from KF
Kyle Bosman, Ben Moore/Michael Huber and Brandon Jones from Easy Allies
Elyse and James from Funhaus

theres-a-new-tumblr-that-will-strike-fear-into-conference-organizers-everywhere.jpg

(except for Elyse of course)

Machina

Banned
No offense, OP, but are you familiar with Giantbomb? Granted, this format would be interesting with people from different outlets, but GB nails this kind of thing every year imo.

I am very familiar with them, but I thought that including them would take this into the "overdoing it" zone. 10 or 11 people is doable without turning it into a shoutfest mess, but any more than that and it gets very difficult to let everyone get a word in

Neptonic

Nah we just do a vote list.

damn we should get a whole bunch of us in a discord call and just scream our game of the year
sounds like more fun

I am very familiar with them, but I thought that including them would take this into the "overdoing it" zone. 10 or 11 people is doable without turning it into a shoutfest mess, but any more than that and it gets very difficult to let everyone get a word in

OP there is no point doing this unless it's stupidly impractical

Speely

Banned

That's fair. I could get behind this.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
How about we choose random gaffers, throw them in front of a live camera, and have them debate GOTY for 2-3 hours? I'd watch (some of) that.

PulseMC

Neo Member
Putting several different styles of content in a single, very opinion based setting would ultimately end up with not only a very poor final product, but also potentially ruining potential collaborations in the future for the participating content creators.

I would love to watch that train wreck unfold

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Doubt the execution of this would be as interesting or dramatic as you would hope. Many of these personalities would favor polite agreeability over their own true passions and preferences. With the cameras on and potentially unfamiliar personalities(and audiences) sharing the room, the desire to speak disproportionately towards the interests and opinions most readily accepted by peers and watchers would likely override meaningful debate.

I mean you could have a situation where everyone just goes around a panel discussing their personal picks, while each in turn states their case and gets a pat on the back and a semi-interested response from the rest. But expecting some sort of dramatic list creation with flair and argumentative theatrics equal to their own site deliberations? It won't happen. Their reputations are literally too vital to bother being genuine enough to take a risk at the prospect of offending those not in their nuclear group.

What would you expect or want exactly? Realistically. Pretensions dropped and knives out? Never will happen in such a scenario.

Chinner

Banned
Great idea, this would generate some great discussion and also prove to advertisers that gamers can be sensible and responsible adults. This would then hopefully then make YouTube start pushing gaming channels again.

Anyway, I think the ideal gaming panel would be:
Pewdiepie
Boogie
Jontron
DarksydePhil

Neonep

GOTY is going to come down to Breath of The Wild, Odyssey, & Horizon. And then at that point it's just preference.

I do however like the idea about instead of everybody doing their normal discussions with their crew and instead a few from each come together and have a big discussion. That would be a bit more fun because it would be a bunch of folks that we don't see interact with each other.

No thanks I come here to avoid a majority of those people. I Rather know what a random gaffers favorite game is than them.

Lime

Great idea, this would generate some great discussion and also prove to advertisers that gamers can be sensible and responsible adults. This would then hopefully then make YouTube start pushing gaming channels again.

Anyway, I think the ideal gaming panel would be:
Pewdiepie
Boogie
Jontron
DarksydePhil

And it should be hosted by Sargon of Akkad.

blubb

Neo Member
Could work if chaotic enough.
My improvement to the idea would be a games and GOTY discussion party with no moderator and no script.
It should be 100-200 Youtubers in a large hall, maybe a dance hall or something (without (loud) music, but with alcohol). There should be no fixed seating order but many places for small to medium groups to randomly gather and discuss, like a couch corners, multiplayer arcade arrangements, bars and presentation corners for all GOTY candidates. There should then be 20-50 independent camera teams each streaming to a different channel trying to capture discussions and shenanigans going on.

Ideally it would not be less than 75% male and incorporate people with vastly different opinions.

And then we'll watch the
awkward
chao
tic
s
ilence

Patryn

GOTY is going to come down to Breath of The Wild, Odyssey, & Horizon. And then at that point it's just preference.

I do however like the idea about instead of everybody doing their normal discussions with their crew and instead a few from each come together and have a big discussion. That would be a bit more fun because it would be a bunch of folks that we don't see interact with each other.

If you are not expecting at least some outlets giving it to PUBG, you haven't been paying attention.

This sounds awful.

I can't even stand listening to the filibustering of people I love listening to and have chemistry together when it comes to stupid goty awards.

I'd rather hear the views of the journalists/influencers I care about give their views on their favourite games of the year in quiet isolation than some sort of whacky panel.
I've heard the giant bomb discussions before and while entertaining they're much more about playing games of compromise, convincing others and trading saves than actually seeking the objective best game.
Also a big problem with that sort of committee approach is that the games everyone has played have an inherent advantage over games which some may have loved but others don't know anything about.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I can't imagine caring about what any of these 'you tube celebrities' have to say about just about anything

"Seeing all of my most respected figures in the Youtube gaming scene " made me laugh for real though

Axass

Not really feasible, it would require great coordination efforts for something that wouldn't have much views and impact on their fanbases. Also Funhaus would gain nothing from it, they're just too big to care.

I truly cannot think of something that would be a less worthwhile investment of time.

I can think of thousands.

hotcyder

I don't think any of that is feasible - but fortunately I know an excellent youtuber who is available for GOTY discussions and he's my good self B)

Cairnsay

Banned
Yeah, this is a non-starter as it is, but even so, not to include Giant Bomb (easily GAF's go to gaming personality site) is pretty crazy.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'd wager that if TB is in, most of your candidates are out.

At least I'd be.

here's an idea, make it a GAF goty discussion with a bunch of GAFfers for GAF to watch. In three years you'll rival the GB discussions.
You probably won't.

heringer

I can't imagine caring about what any of these 'you tube celebrities' have to say about just about anything

"Seeing all of my most respected figures in the Youtube gaming scene " made me laugh for real though

Yeah, the OP is a bit cringeworthy, lol.

Top Bottom