• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ProPublica: Facebook protects White Men from Hate Speech, but not Black Children

tjohn86

The title of the article seems intentionally incendiary. Technically the same is true for Male Drivers > White Children > White Men.

I'm not defending the PC vs NPC system they use, it just seems like they picked the most extreme example of that system failing.

Does FB protect white men more than black men? White children more than black children? This is the real question.

Its not rocket science. This place does moderation well IMO. How hard is it to moderate posts?

I imagine the mods here will tell you that their jobs are incredibly difficult and they are doing it out of passion not a paycheck like the facebook mods who don't give a shit on a personal level.

What the fuck, this is almost hard to believe. I mean, the organization seems reputable so I have to assume it's real, but this is some next-level insanity if true. Even if they backpedal and "fix" it, there's no going back from something like this.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I can see the difference between "White Men" and "Female Drivers" (what about "Male Drivers" or "White Women", for example?). But I don't see how you justify "White Men" but not "Black Children"

Cimarron

An investigation by the Pulitzer Prize winning non-profit ProPublica.

HkOVZE7.jpg

AVRGpEv.jpg
ed6UTwK.jpg

Far more at the link.

This sort of rules-based moderation can never and will never work. Some of this shit reads like a parody, but these are the actual rules actually enforced by the biggest website in the world.

All a racist has to do to game the system is say "All poor Blacks should be killed".
All a sexist has to do to game the system is say "All ugly women should be raped".
If you hate immigrants it's even easier!

Any strict system can and will be gamed to the advantage of the worst sections of society, at the expense of the genuinely marginalised.

Oh shit! Didi is my friend! Lol. Lovely woman. :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why does this surprise anyone?

Y’all given constant reminders and reinforcement that black and brown don’t matter.

Given the rules laid out here, it would seem that black men would be protected, but white children would not. So this isn't really an explicit white vs black/brown issue. This is an issue about where you draw the line for hate speech in an objective way.

wtf is that "Quiz!" image... like it's legit what FB uses to train their censors? Deleting FB if confirmed.

The slide shown is probably an example of a semi-trick question that they expect the trainee to get wrong, in order to very precisely educate their staff on where the line is drawn.

Top Bottom