• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ProPublica: Facebook’s Secret Censorship Rules Protect White Men from Hate Speech

KSweeley

Link: https://www.propublica.org/article/facebook-hate-speech-censorship-internal-documents-algorithms

Facebook’s Secret Censorship Rules Protect White Men from Hate Speech But Not Black Children
A trove of internal documents sheds light on the algorithms that Facebook’s censors use to differentiate between hate speech and legitimate political expression.

20170628-fb-slide-white-men-630.jpg

Facebook trains its censors to delete hate speech against “protected categories,” including white males, but to allow attacks on “subsets” such as female drivers and black children.

The Facebook Rules

Facebook has used these rules to train its "content reviewers" to decide whether to delete or allow posts.

Facebook-slides.002.gif

Facebook-slides.003.gif

Camjo-Z

Facebook's secret censorship rules also protect every other race/gender combination from hate speech. Clearly the system needs improvement, but talk about a clickbait headline.

White men are considered a group because both traits are protected, while female drivers and black children, like radicalized Muslims, are subsets, because one of their characteristics is not protected.

cheezcake

Look I think the rules are flawed, but the way the article frames it to try and elicit a kneejerk is ultra shitty.

White Men are protected because it's [race][sex], so black men and black women and all other racial identities/sex combinations are also protected groups.

White children are also technically fair game, as are male drivers.

Radicalized muslims need a chance to change but otherwise they shouldn't be considered a 'protected class.

Assuming all white people are racist is just a purely petty racist statement itself.

Nista

Time to insult all white men on my FB to make all the underpaid content censors very sad. :p

Not that I support generalizations anyway, but the fact that a powerful majority gets protected status is rather stupid.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Facebook's secret censorship rules also protect every other race/gender combination from hate speech. Clearly the system needs improvement, but talk about a clickbait headline.

I can just feel the ennui in the soul of whichever dude is writing a select clause with AND instead of OR, to properly automate hate detection.

Top Bottom