• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proteus |OT| A Game by Ed Key and David Kanaga

So, I've been thinking about buying this game on my Vita, but I'm not even sure what kind of game it is. Like an abstract first person exploration game, where different things in the environment create different sounds or music? Sell it to me GAF. I usually like quirky indie games, but I'm terrible for buying and not playing them.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head - it's all about the exploration and enjoying the soundtrack that your actions are leading. There's a few things to discover but, like the game itself, they're pretty enigmatic and unexplained. Having trophies helps in regards to giving you things to do other than just explore, but every play-through of Proteus is probably going to be largely similar. The island generation options add a bit of variety, though - on PS3 you can generate an island based on the time and date, while with the Vita you can generate an island that's based on your location.

I personally find the game to be very relaxing. It's something I like to throw on half an hour before I head to bed, or something to wake up to in the morning. There isn't much in the way of gameplay, granted, but Proteus is such an otherworldly sort of experience that I just know its something I'll be returning to for a long while.

Another bump, but since this game is now discounted for PS+ members I figured I'd shoot out my appreciation for Proteus.

Others have said it much better than I could hope to, but what a relaxing, tranquil experience. The uniqueness & obscurity of this game took my mind back to one of my favorite PS1 games- Tail of the Sun. I just can't express enough how much I love these experiences that just throw you in & essentially tell you "Go on. Figure it out. Explore."

The only thing that bums me out is that there isn't a PS4 version. This is a game I'd love to stream (no commentary, of course).

Just another example of why I love the indie market.

Yeah I really enjoyed it. I don't know that I got any deeper meaning out of it like some did but it was enjoyable just to walk around and look at things and hear the generative soundtrack.

wouwie

Just played this game for the first time (PS3). I'm amazed at the atmosphere it manages to bring over to the player with these kind of graphics. The portrayal of the different seasons with day/night is amazing. The music and sound effects are great too.

I just wish there were a lot more things to discover. That part of the game seems very basic which is a shame because the idea and execution is fantastic. It would have been really cool to discover a lot of different things in the world.

Top Bottom