• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS Blog] 5 details that make The Last Guardian an adventure to savour on PS4

FelipeMGM

Full thing with Ueda quotes on https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=801093309699457024&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

1) He’s the most adorable giant pet you’ll ever see

[...[It’s impossible to not admire the sheer amount of attention which has gone into Trico’s appearance. The texture of his fur-like feathers that drift and flail in the wind, the way they fold when the boy grabs hold of them and the delicate watercolour style are especially striking.

Subtle details really help emphasise Trico’s intimidating size in contrast to the boy’s diminutive stature. Grass gets crushed underfoot as Trico walks, and his sometimes less than majestic leaps are often accompanied with screen shake effects to dramatically convey a sense of weight.[...]

2) The little things of a big creature

The development team brilliantly contrasts Trico’s daunting presence with his kind and compassionate nature, which endears you to the fluffy cat-bird-dog. You can stroke Trico to the point where he starts to settle on the ground and close his eyes, with a purring vibration of the Dualshock 4 wireless controller confirming his content.

[...]But like any intelligent animal companion, Trico gets distracted and doesn’t always do what you’d like him to do on first asking. If you’re a cat or dog owner you’ll know exactly the hilarity that occurs from this sort of scenario, so persistence is the key.[...]

3) About a boy

Just because Trico is the star of the show, don’t think that our controllable protagonist – the nameless boy of the story – has been left out of the detail stakes. There are plenty of little touches which bring you closer to him as the player-character, immersing you in his perilous journey.

[...]That said, some of his best animations come from his interactions with Trico. From the boy’s gentle caressing of the giant creature, to the cupping of his hands for a longer and louder shout when calling to a faraway Trico, you really do feel every small moment.[...]

4) Help is always at hand – and claw

Another clever device which endears you to the boy is the use of narration, something we’ve touched on before. Linger in an area long enough and the boy’s voiceover (as an adult) offers clues to what you should do next.

[...]This subtle help system also extends to Trico’s behaviour as well. Sometimes he will lead you to where you should be going, or offer a hint by doing something repeatedly. It’s a wonderful unspoken technique that not only assists, but accentuates the growing bond between you.[...]

5) Nature over nurture

[...]The Last Guardian is rife with little niceties that you can only appreciate by stopping for a bit and taking it all in. Lizards scuttle around temples, birds drift off into the distance and there are colourful butterflies fluttering everywhere.[...]

Vic_Viper

Gotta say this game has lost all of its luster imo. This will be a wait and see for me if it's worth the wait. Loved ICO and Shadow but I'm still going to wait a bit on this one and see how it ends up turning out. For some reason it just looks like a PS3 launch title gameplay wise, with amazing visuals.

ghibli99

Gotta say this game has lost all of its luster imo. This will be a wait and see for me if it's worth the wait. Loved ICO and Shadow but I'm still going to wait a bit on this one and see how it ends up turning out. For some reason it just looks like a PS3 launch title gameplay wise, with amazing visuals.
Nothing personal (I see this sentiment a lot about TLG), but I hope it proves you wrong. :) I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I'm still more on the positive side of things.

I still can't decide between the Collector's Edition and the special edition with a sleeve.

Hopefully they will post an unboxing video prior the release.

Unknown?

Yeah ICO and Shadow looked so much like launch PS3 titles.

HonMirin

I'm sold. Can't wait to have another emotional experience. If it's longer than 3 hours and gets me totally invested then they've won for me.

So the game is short then

DPKBA1S.gif

Begaria

You can savour games of any length. Doesn't mean it's short. Best indicator of length is their prior games which were about 8-10 hours long anyways.

You can stroke Trico to the point where he starts to settle on the ground and close his eyes, with a purring vibration of the Dualshock 4 wireless controller confirming his content.

This is the new Ico-and-Yorda-sleeping-on-a-couch.

Where does it say it's short? I read it three times, and I can't find where it states how long the game is.

Yeah I don't really get it either. Seems a bit random.

Can't wait, already pre-ordered this bad boy !

I know i will love this game as i'm a huge fan of Ico and SotC !

This game will probably make me cry...

KORNdoggy

pre-ordered the limited edition. i have ico and shadows limited editions so it seems fitting to finish the series with the biggest one this time around.

Falchion

I'm not going to rush but I'm also not going to drag my feet in the same way people do to stretch Journey into a 3+ hour playthrough.

FelipeMGM

OP, I appreciate the link and all, but can you please not copy/paste the entire article in your post, please? :)

I sure appreciate the work you have put on this, and also I never do copy/paste on reports or opinion pieces because the writers and their outlets sure deserve the click, but I didnt felt that this was exactly that case since is clearly for marketing purposes, but sure. This is certainly the first time ever I've seen a representative of PS Blog or something similar to ask such a thing but will for keep that in mind for future threads.

I think what they should have done would be to market this game with remastered PS4 editions of SOC and ICO as preorder incentives or something. Those games are too great to not be able to play on current gen systems.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
edit, wrong thread

I sure appreciate the work you have put on this, and also I never do copy/paste on reports or opinion pieces because the writers and their outlets sure deserve the click, but I didnt felt that this was exactly that case since is clearly for marketing purposes, but sure. This is certainly the first time ever I've seen a representative of PS Blog or something similar to ask such a thing, will keep that in mind the next time.

Thank you, appreciated - I know some of you may think it's a "nothing article" but I still spent the time writing it and interviewing Ueda-san in the process.

In any case, I've something a bit meatier for the forthcoming feature. Even though it'll still be "a blogpost by playstation, an ad, not an article by some site".

What does PS3 launch title gameplay actually mean?

ced

Seems like no one gives a shit about this anymore.

I've personally lost about all interest, still going in day 1 despite my better judgement.

Humdinger

I'm buying, in part because I like the creative aesthetic of his games, and in part just to support all the effort it took for Sony and the developer to bring this game to market, despite all of the problems, hurdles, and struggles. Other companies would've folded the tent on a project like this a long time ago. Obviously it's not a money maker.

I dont know why. ICO and SOTC are very short games. Why would people suddenly expect a 20hours game from Ueda?

I'm guessing it's the really long wait for the game. People are bound to be disappointed with this game, honestly. I'll probably enjoy it though (the game, that is, not the backlash).

Memento

I'm guessing it's the really long wait for the game. People are bound to be disappointed with this game, honestly. I'll probably enjoy it though (the game, that is, not the backlash).

I think the ones disappointed with it will be the ones caught in the hype but that dont actually are fans of Ueda's previous works.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Uh.....wouldn't the marked part below be considered a spoiler? Not sure why they would reveal the fact that
the narrarator is the adult version of the kid
in this article. Unless that was known details already and I just missed it until now.

"Another clever device which endears you to the boy is the use of narration, something we’ve touched on before. Linger in an area long enough and the
boy’s voiceover (as an adult)
offers clues to what you should do next"

The article doesn't really sell anything unless you get hands on so not sure on the article. On the length, I'm expecting the standard ueda length so it should be fine. I've only played ico and sotc twice each and they've left a strong enough impression for me to still recommend it to people.

Memento

Uh.....wouldn't the marked part below be considered a spoiler? Not sure why they would reveal the fact that
the narrarator is the adult version of the kid
in this article. Unless that was known details already and I just missed it until now.

"Another clever device which endears you to the boy is the use of narration, something we’ve touched on before. Linger in an area long enough and the
boy’s voiceover (as an adult)
offers clues to what you should do next"

Yeah, it is known.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Good job the game won't be full price forever then isn't it. I for one am happy to pay $60 for a short but consistently excellent game. Especially in this age of bloated, open-world fare.

The length of the previous games is perfect because I take my time with the team games but if it's shorter I might consider not buying day 1.

I remember this bash being said about ICO as well back in the day. Sure, it was only 8-10 hours long, but it was some of the best 8-10 hours i'd ever played.

In what world does ICO last for 8-10hrs?

Think it took me around 6 on a first run at most. SOTC was around 8-10 though so hope this is similar to that length wise.

Top Bottom