• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

Google

It's also a cloud streaming service. Some here must not be used to renting.

Totes.

Also, the idea that because a game can be purchased for a similiar amount of money is not a cohesive argument. If we play by those rules then should we completely abandon all digital film/tv services? Is iTunes dying because they charge $5.00 for a movie that I can watch in 90 minutes?

mattp

I suppose, but they're still both fruit. You're paying for what is essentially an online game rental service, only one has a shorter time span and weirder pricing model.

I'm also not defending EA in any way, I'm just putting this out as a pot/kettle/black kind of situation for Sony.

yeah but one of them you are also "renting" actual hardware to play those games for you

i suppose the difference is largely hidden from the consumer, so it's sony's job to figure out how to communicate that difference
but either way, it's a very big difference

Silvawuff

Because EA's service vault amounts to what? 4 titles: FIFA 14, Madden 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4.
Where as a rental service not only allows you to rent games from any publisher but also isn't limited to only current gen offerings. I am baffled people are still trying to equate the two.

Yes, but the point of my argument is not making an equation. I'm comparing the services and I'm finding Sony's criticism of EA's offerings similar. Sony is suggesting the value of their services is better than EA's lineup, at the same time showing off prices in PS Now that are ridiculous, especially for rentals.

Yes, it's in beta and it can change, but as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), those beta prices are live. People are paying for them with real funds.

Either way I think that it's not fair for Sony to be critical of other companies, before being critical of themselves and their business model for a similar online service that allows you to essentially borrow games for online play.

Aside from the pricing for 4 hours, I think the rest of the prices are great. I've already picked up a game for 7 days. I'm completely content with paying $4 for a game and finish it in 7 days.

Hopefully Sony brings over more RPGs and I can easily see myself renting tons of games through the service.

BadWolf

Yes, but the point of my argument is not making an equation. I'm comparing the services and I'm finding Sony's criticism of EA's offerings similar. Sony is suggesting the value of their services is better than EA's lineup, at the same time showing off prices in PS Now that are ridiculous, especially for rentals.

Yes, it's in beta and it can change, but as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), those beta prices are live. People are paying for them with real funds.

Either way I think that it's not fair for Sony to be critical of other companies, before being critical of themselves and their business model for a similar online service that allows you to essentially borrow games for online play.

Its been a while since I've seen people shower EA with this much love and defense.

And by a while I mean never.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Maybe instead of the 4 hour option, they should have a one time free 30 minute option per title. That way you can check out the flavor of a game without risking money. And it can't be abused by you playing over and over. Or allow a variety of demo periods because some games might take longer than 30 minutes to "start" and in others 5-10 minutes may be plenty.

Enectic

Banned
The pricing definitely need work. For a comparison look at OnLive; they have a Netflix type service with around 260 games for $9.95 a month and a bring-your-own-games (through Steam) service for $7.95 a month. Even when OnLive did offer rentals years ago (they don't anymore) their prices were much more reasonable starting at $2 - $5 for a 3 day pass. Take note Sony!

Silvawuff

Its been a while since I've seen people shower EA with this much love and defense.

And by a while I mean never.

Ew no, I can't stand EA. Believe me, I'm not defending them or their business practices at all, merely drawing a comparison between Sony's criticism of their service versus the hamfisted execution of their own.

I like Sony quite a bit; I own more Sony products than I do from the other big players in the industry, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of them.

Maxim726X

Pricing structure is a joke.

Make it a part of the PS Plus service and I guarantee a good portion of those who sign up for PS Plus will add it on. As it stands now, who is this for? Who is really going to pay for a short rental?

Pricing structure is a joke.

Make it a part of the PS Plus service and I guarantee a good portion of those who sign up for PS Plus will add it on. As it stands now, who is this for? Who is really going to pay for a short rental?

I will be using the 7 day rentals all the time

Maybe instead of the 4 hour option, they should have a one time free 30 minute option per title. That way you can check out the flavor of a game without risking money. And it can't be abused by you playing over and over. Or allow a variety of demo periods because some games might take longer than 30 minutes to "start" and in others 5-10 minutes may be plenty.

Agreed, a free taster would be cool. Paying $3 for 4 hours feels like we're one step away from paying for demos.

Posted some feedback on the PS blog.

I think it's a good idea, but the fact that it's limited to PS3 games (which are almost all readily available for reasonable prices), along with the pricing structure and lack of a subscription option makes it unlikely that I'll use it much.

If I didn't have a PS3, I could see paying around $10 to play through the single player of something, but when I can buy most of the games for $10 the rental prices seem a bit steep.

glottis8

Banned
Posted some feedback on the PS blog.

I think it's a good idea, but the fact that it's limited to PS3 games (which are almost all readily available for reasonable prices), along with the pricing structure and lack of a subscription option makes it unlikely that I'll use it much.

If I didn't have a PS3, I could see paying around $10 to play through the single player of something, but when I can buy most of the games for $10 the rental prices seem a bit steep.

I am pretty sure that they will expand their library once its up and running.

I think its a good idea. and it'll be nice to be able to give the Vita some life after it drowned with little content.

Phototropic

Neo Member
I never owned a PS3, so I would be willing to spend $8 for a month of certain games once the collection expands, but like most I would prefer to see a subscription model.

glottis8

Banned
I never owned a PS3, so I would be willing to spend $8 for a month of certain games once the collection expands, but like most I would prefer to see a subscription model.

I thought they were considering the subscription model. Like Netflix. I would be all over that after looking if the game catalogue is worth it. I know i left my ps3 with unfinished titles i would like to back to.

Phototropic

Neo Member
I thought they were considering the subscription model. Like Netflix. I would be all over that after looking if the game catalogue is worth it. I know i left my ps3 with unfinished titles i would like to back to.

They are. I'm just saying that would see me using it more than just once or twice as it stands now.

glottis8

Banned
Its confirmed to be coming.

They are. I'm just saying that would see me using it more than just once or twice as it stands now.

Lol.. just read that they have some messed up prices. F1 can be rented for 90 days for the low price of $49.99

Whats up with that?

giphy.gif

I'm still a bit surprised they don't have one title as a "free" 4 hour rental so people can test the service during this supposed beta. The connection test says I'm good enough to stream games, but I have no idea what that means in terms of quality or performance. Instead, I'll need to pay 2 bucks and pick something to rent for 4 hours to test this thing.

And not one PS4, PS2, or PS1 game available.

Guymelef

ah... so this would not be regulated by Sony? Its just a service that goes through the publisher?

As OP says:

As with all content published on PlayStation platforms, publishers and developers will ultimately decide their game price points. Furthermore, SCE plans to offer subscription options in the future.

You can blame Sony for PS Now price for God of War (for example) not for FIFA 10.

Is this how Netflix works? they actually have to sign deals that expire no? This is how PS+ free games work... no?

I believe it was revealed before that the Devs/Publishers receive a small cut of $$$ every time a free PSPlus game is downloaded. What that price is, nobody knows, but I believe some devs were happy with being on PSPlus.

It isn't similar at all.

Even if you want to ignore the selection, the distribution and therefore the costs are different because the services are different.

The EA agreement allows you download and play those games from the library. PSnow is a streaming service. The cost to maintain a streaming product is higher because the end user is not downloading any extra files nor are they actually processing the game content. That takes hardware on the service provider end to take care of while EA doesn't have to worry about an issue like that.

Another point in how they are "not" similar is that even in Beta PSnow works across multiple devices. EA Access currently does not. So in terms of how the services work themselves and the actual target audience, they are different and trying to compare the two is making a very large leap completely ignoring the technical differences between the two. Also if the publishers are setting the prices for specific titles then there is nothing Sony can really do about that.

Edit: Unless I am missing something but the wording on EA states downloading not streaming.

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/faq.html
What is The Vault?

The Vault is an evolving selection of EA's Xbox One games that EA Access members can download and play while an active member. During the beta, gamers will have unlimited access to four great EA games: Madden NFL 25, FIFA 14, Peggle 2 and Battlefield 4, with more titles being added soon.

it's not though

Thanks I just caught that.

I'm still a bit surprised they don't have one title as a "free" 4 hour rental so people can test the service during this supposed beta. The connection test says I'm good enough to stream games, but I have no idea what that means in terms of quality or performance. Instead, I'll need to pay 2 bucks and pick something to rent for 4 hours to test this thing.

And not one PS4, PS2, or PS1 game available.

I agree, no matter which shitty game they use as a test, there needs to be a free test, even if it's only for 30 minutes just to see if it's viable in your area.

As OP says:

You can blame Sony for PS Now price for God of War (for example) not for FIFA 10.

If only there was an actual first party sony title on PSNow to compare prices >>

Seriously, it's baffling to me as to why they don't at least have one title out of the Resistance, Uncharted, God of War, and Gran Turismo franchises. I mean hell it would actually build some excitement for the service for people who switched 360 to PS4.

Megasoum

Banned
Not really surprising considering the prices of digital games on both console's stores. The fact that 2-3 year old games are still selling for 60$ digitally when you can get them for 15-20$ in store just show how close minded and disconnected from the real world the console manufacturers really are.

This is just an extansion of a problem that's been there since the beginning of digital stores on consoles.

Top Bottom