• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita in 2023

Alan Wake

Mine died, sadly. I have never been a handheld gamer but I bought a used Vita and fell in love with it. Playing Tearaway and Sonic Racing Transformed on it, as well as Lumines, was great. It lacked in AAA experiences, though. I kept waiting for BioShock and it just never came.

Ar¢tos

My sister brought me one of the VITAs my nephews had, sadly no cable so I can't even turn it on (battery is drained). I'm going to ask her to find the other VITA and the cables (I can always buy a cable online, I guess).
What can I do with 2 VITAs, besides turning them into emulator machines?

Ozzie666

Recently fired up the Vita to play FFX HD remaster, I hadn't used it in a long time. I've forgotten how wonderful it is to hold and play. The screen is still magnificent. I still think it's a better experience than playing on the Switch. Obviously, I wish there were L2/L3/R2/R3 controls. I really hope Sony goes through with their remote play handheld with a little bit extra added. Ps one, PSP, Vita.

I noticed some of the digital game prices are still pretty insane for a long dead machine.

Vita deserved so much better.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It was beautiful handheld but it had a cancer
lucEsqk.jpg

This affected everything.
You can look up the cards now and think, oh they must be hard to get that's why they're expensive...
Wrong, that's how much they was back then too.
And this eventually affected it's support too.
Such a shame, all Sony needed to do is release a firmware and adaptor to support SD cards.
But Piracy factors was too strong.

Edit fucking autocorrect 😂
When I was buying mine, I winked at the store clerk and hinted at the fact that I'm gonna be modding the fuck out of it, and he just sort of paused, ducked behind the counter, and after a moment showed up with a micro SD adapter for Vita and said "this should make your life easier", lol.

So yeah, luckily this won't be a problem anymore.

I gotta say when there were rumors of that new PlayStation handheld I was hoping for a new PSP/Vita. Sony has no good reason to do so, but I would love one. I missed out on these when I was younger but I would spend the cash now. My CFW is awesome.

flying_sq

Homebrew it and embrace it. Sony abondoned it, so I say it's free game for anything. Enjoy awesome PS1, PSP, 16 and 8 bit emulation. There is even an "unofficial" store that you can browse for downloads.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I gotta say when there were rumors of that new PlayStation handheld I was hoping for a new PSP/Vita. Sony has no good reason to do so, but I would love one. I missed out on these when I was younger but I would spend the cash now. My CFW is awesome.
The thing is that something like a Steam Deck is the closest thing to that and it does so much. Shane that. It's emulation hasn't made enough strides but the original HW isn't hard to find.

Sony introducing a handheld would have to have a hell of a lot of incentive for me to buy. I do have massive catalogue of games I've bought over the years.

Sleepwalker

I have the opportunity to buy one of these with charger, case, 4gb mem card and like 5 cartridges i dont care about for around $90. I was thinking maybe as a retro device? Ive been meaning to go back and play older final fantasy games for the first time. I used to have a PSP ages ago but never had a vita. I own a steam deck but I find it a little bit uncomfortable and don't really like the aspect ratio for old emulated games. It's an OLED model btw.

Not sure if worth.

I'm looking to get a Vita in 2023. It came out around the time of my nearly decade long hiatus from gaming so it's a missed era for me. I like the PSP.

cireza

I have the opportunity to buy one of these with charger, case, 4gb mem card and like 5 cartridges i dont care about for around $90. I was thinking maybe as a retro device? Ive been meaning to go back and play older final fantasy games for the first time. I used to have a PSP ages ago but never had a vita. I own a steam deck but I find it a little bit uncomfortable and don't really like the aspect ratio for old emulated games. It's an OLED model btw.

Not sure if worth.
The main issue with the Vita is that the resolution is not the best for a retro emulation console. Integer scaling will not be fullscreen, so you will have to resort to uneven scaling that creates blur, or use borders which will lead to a picture that is a bit too small for my taste. For many people this is okay, but not for me. PSP games look really pixelated and the dithering is much too obvious, so not the best experience. Again, depending on the person, this can be okay.

That being said the console works well enough and the buttons are great quality, including the d-pad.

I would simply enjoy the console for its Vita games, there are many of them that are excellent. And softmod it to play fan-translated games.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
I love my vita it just feels and looks so great. But I only have about 4 good games so I get it off the shelf every few months and play for a while
Gravity Rush and KIllzone Mercenary are stand out titles imho

radewagon

YSK, for those that like the screen but want to play old games, some of Anbernic's handhelds actually use Vita screens. You have to put up with a janky OS, but if you're modding a Vita to emulate games anyway, it's a fair option.

Sleepwalker

Someone beat me to the punch while I deliberated wether I wanted it or not :(, oh well.

YSK, for those that like the screen but want to play old games, some of Anbernic's handhelds actually use Vita screens. You have to put up with a janky OS, but if you're modding a Vita to emulate games anyway, it's a fair option.

I assume the LCD ones? I'm only really interested in the vita OLED if any tbh.

radewagon

Someone beat me to the punch while I deliberated wether I wanted it or not :(, oh well.

I assume the LCD ones? I'm only really interested in the vita OLED if any tbh.
You would be wrong in that assumption. The RG505 and RG503 both have what most people assume are actual Vita OLEDs. I don't know if it's been confirmed, but since they have the same odd resolution (960x544), everyone just sort of expects that that's the case.

Darko

I have two of them I got at launch.. one was for homebrew and one was for online.

I don’t need the second one anymore because you can mod it and go online. There’s some really amazing homebrew out there like the gta San Andreas port.. bully port… higher resolution for vita games…

Loving my vita in 2023.. Netflix app still works lol

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still get excited every time I happen to find mine. I always get lost in TxK and Geometry Wars 3. Then I put it back where I keep it and forget where it is for a few months.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Screen quality (dark spotches) and crap wifi card were the deciding factors in me ditching mine. Great console just let down by a few poor parts. Only sold it within the last 2 years.

Osthyvel

Yes, always with me when i travel, was on vacation for a couple a weeks ago, always playing when in the air, and then some at the destination. Vita and 3ds, always with me, i love that they are so small. Switch stays home mostly.

Vita is life xD

There's something about the Vita, it feels... premium. Solid handheld held back by lackluster support. With CFW it's awesome though, so much good stuff to choose from. Playing PS1 games on the go is amazing. All those RPGs that never got re-released (Vagrant Story, Paradise Eve, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Jade Cocoon).

Regretting selling mine a couple years back. Is there a way to properly restore a used one off of eBay? I don't want to pay 600 or so for a sealed Vita. I'm talking cleaning it down to the last little piece of whatever this is build out of. Is it easy to get into?

Darko

Regretting selling mine a couple years back. Is there a way to properly restore a used one off of eBay? I don't want to pay 600 or so for a sealed Vita. I'm talking cleaning it down to the last little piece of whatever this is build out of. Is it easy to get into?
I put my second one on marketplace if your interested lol.. it’s the oled one

I would try a local pawn shop before tying eBay

Last edited:

Pretty easy. I got mine from a Japanese seller and it was in immaculate condition, no cleaning needed. All I did was throw on a screen protector.

Sleepwalker

It's not that hard to get into but most of the times you won't need to. I managed to find an OLED one thats immaculate.

PSYGN

Back when Sony actually tried. PS Vita and PSP felt ahead of its time. Well, PSP especially. I couldn't believe how GTA was running on my PSP.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Vita has some real great games and all the PSP classics, but the Switch just overwhelms it - the library of timeless games on the Switch feels 5-10x larger than the Vita, no exaggeration.

It's pretty staggering the amount of quality AAA / AA games on the Switch, my collection is probably on 50-75% complete on it, and I easily have triple the number of incredible games on the Switch over the Vita, stuff like Hades, XCOM 2, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Dragon's Dogma, Triangle Strategy, Live a Live, Tactics Ogre Reborn, Slay the Spire, Metroid Dread, Hollow Knight, DKC Tropical Freeze, Ori, Bioshock, Diablo 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3, the Zelda games, the list of basically 90+ rated games and hidden gems goes on and on for 100s and 100s of titles, literally.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Vita has some real great games and all the PSP classics, but the Switch just overwhelms it - the library of timeless games on the Switch feels 5-10x larger than the Vita, no exaggeration.

It's pretty staggering the amount of quality AAA / AA games on the Switch, my collection is probably on 50-75% complete on it, and I easily have triple the number of incredible games on the Switch over the Vita, stuff like Hades, XCOM 2, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Dragon's Dogma, Triangle Strategy, Live a Live, Tactics Ogre Reborn, Slay the Spire, Metroid Dread, Hollow Knight, DKC Tropical Freeze, Ori, Bioshock, Diablo 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3, the Zelda games, the list of basically 90+ rated games and hidden gems goes on and on for 100s and 100s of titles, literally.
Well the Switch was a success so publishers brought a lot of games on it. The VITA didn't sell, so...

Top Bottom