• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita System software 3.50 adds 30% more memory for game use.

DieH@rd

Banned
Killzone already looks great. I wonder what those 30% can bring.

For old games... usual RAM-related stuff. Possible faster load times & streamlined real-time asset streaming.

For brand new games... all that and much more.

I'm not sure what to think :\
Better late than never i guess.

30% of how much? I mean 30% of 100mb(30mb) is a lot lower increment than the 30% of 400mb(120mb), just an example.

We don't know how big was OS partition [in both ram and vram], but we know how much memory Vita has in total [512MB RAM, 128MB VRAM].
newpicture3p1i1l.jpg

I think... there was some mentions long ago that Vita OS took 256MB chunk from main RAM and unknown chunk from VRAM. Not sure.

Shun

The PSP situation was interesting since hackers unlocked the higher clock speeds via Custom Firmware well before Sony did so officially. I recall emulator coders highly recommending the clock speed change to properly run some of the demanding games.

So there's a chance of running PS2 games when Vita homebrew hits? Dolphin for Vita?

I wish (┳Д┳)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man, that's kind of a kick in the bollocks. It's like making chocolate sauce free after people have stopped making ice cream.

Vita is getting quite a few PS4 cross platform releases though, so maybe it will be useful for that, or for some engines like Unity to have more space to breath?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not really, considering the amount of Japanese games on the Vita I don't think it's too late.

Hopefully this move would encourage more devs to develop more console games on the Vita, like DQ Heroes 2.

Actually the dev scene for the Vita is quite healthy in Japan. As predicted its taken over the place of the PSP and pretty much at this point in time most of the devs have moved over with the PSP finally having run ashore.

Sales show too that there is indeed an existing market so as long as games are made within a reasonable budget, games can be profitable.

While not exactly true, but was more so with the PSP the thing still is taking the place as the PS2 or more like PS2.5 since its not really that close to being a PS3. Is how I see it anyways.

sounds good, I wonder how many games will fully take advantage of it

The question is how early on did devs already know about this. As those who are working on Vita titles most def would have known ahead of time Id imagine to allow for them to include their title to take advantage of this after the system software goes live.

Producer

The PSP situation was interesting since hackers unlocked the higher clock speeds via Custom Firmware well before Sony did so officially. I recall emulator coders highly recommending the clock speed change to properly run some of the demanding games.

Yep it was glorious. Not just for emulation but PSP games themselves benefitted from the 333MHz option, though it did run through your battery quicker lol. Worth the tradeoff though.

Piccoro

Hey, this would be really useful on, say... a 2D fighter with really high-res animations and frame counts.

:) Yeah, I can't wait to play said "2D fighter" on my Vita!
And does that "2D fighter" have a release date? I can't wait till I get my hands on it! ;)

Sesto

Banned
Wasn't the PS2 already weaker than Vita?(Note that a PS2 port is technically a native Vita game, so bad PS2 ports on Vita doesn't mean that Vita is weaker than a PS2 but just that those ports are simply bad)

well the FFX port was nearly perfect but I think that FFXII is more demanding because of the large areas and better graphics

Tsunamo

I wish this came earlier so we could've seen what first party devs like Guerrilla Cambridge could've done with that extra power before Vita support dropped off, ah well. I look forward to seeing how this'll affect new software though.
Aaaaand not long after Iron Galaxy had said that they're not doing any more updates for Borderlands 2. Oh well. It's still a fairly competent port (now, at least) if you've been a modern console gamer and therefore used to sub 30fps games.

I would like to see more games patched to make use of this.
Not that it's likely, but a update actually popped up around the handsome collections release improving stuff like pop-in and loading times in some areas so it's possible they could do another update.

Parakeetman

So there's a chance of running PS2 games when Vita homebrew hits? Dolphin for Vita?

I wish (┳Д┳)

Not sure as the problem is even in Japan there are not too many PS2 titles anyways available digitally. The US even has a few that Japan does not have. So even if it did run PS2 titles, its not like they would magically appear out of thin air. As the publishers would still need to get everything in place to redo a digital version for sale / running on the Vita if it was to ever happen. Which is a lot more effort than most places are willing to do or have the capacity to with how teams are either non existent or tied up.

Its a miracle that Romancing Saga Minstrels Song is getting released, but my guess is that has to do more with SQEX wanting to help push the revitalization of the IP and that was one of the more popular titles in the series.

Piccoro

It would be cool if Sony also solved the Vita game card size problem.
The big games like FFX and Blazblue have to reduce the sound quality in order for the games to fit in the game card...

Parakeetman

For old games... usual RAM-related stuff. Possible faster load times & streamlined real-time asset streaming.

We don't know how big was OS partition [in both ram and vram], but we know how much memory Vita has in total [512MB RAM, 128MB VRAM].
newpicture3p1i1l.jpg

I think... there was some mentions long ago that Vita OS took 256MB chunk from main RAM and unknown chunk from VRAM. Not sure.

Thanks for this information good stuff! Do appreciate posts like this greatly.

Tizoc

This came out from the Unite Tokyo 2015 event.

Pretty big news honestly. Wonder what took Sony this long to decide to do this?

Should fix the title. As edited the quote.

Will this mean Ys MoC will run better now for the non Asia/JP ver? :p

Parakeetman

It would be cool if Sony also solved the Vita game card size problem.
The big games like FFX and Blazblue have to reduce the sound quality in order for the games to fit in the game card...

Would be nicer if they just allowed for third party manufacturing at this point similar to finally when the memstick duos or whatever they were called, third party companies could start producing them which started the drop in price that users were locked with for so long.

Though the memstick duo was used in other devices I think? Where as the Vitas mem card is not?

Seriously they do need a hardware upgrade that just ditches the old mem stick. As its the largest problem the system has since it really adds a high price tag to the whole purchase that a lot of users still to this day rightfully complain about.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

newpicture3p1i1l.jpg

I know Vita has 512+128, but how much can be used for games is unknown :\ (i think it's 30% of what can be used for games, not 30% of 512mb)

Wow i missed those mentions about OS taking 256mb! I hope it's not true!

well the FFX port was nearly perfect but I think that FFXII is more demanding because of the large areas and better graphics
Vita has 512mb of ram + 128mb of vram, the PS2 had just 32 mb of ram, this alone should make you understand how much of the quality of a PS2 port depends on the PS2 power and how much on developers' efforts ;)

Shun

Would be nicer if they just allowed for third party manufacturing at this point similar to finally when the memstick duos or whatever they were called, third party companies could start producing them which started the drop in price that users were locked with for so long.

Though the memstick duo was used in other devices I think? Where as the Vitas mem card is not?

Seriously they do need a hardware upgrade that just ditches the old mem stick. As its the largest problem the system has since it really adds a high price tag to the whole purchase that a lot of users still to this day rightfully complain about.

Memory Stick Duo was used in basically all Sony portable devices from their PSP to their portable camera.

I believe it was pushed as a form of flash memory by Sony even before the PSP launched.

Parakeetman

Wow nice! Hopefully we [see] some new games that weren't possible come, perhaps improvements to previous games?

Paz gave an answer to this earlier, should give an idea of what would happen.

Anything that would make use of suddenly having additional ram would have crashed out if it had less resources before, these are closed boxes with finite memory and no swap file.

Unlike say the PSP CPU throttling which would change games if you forcibly enabled it because stuff would just get processed faster (Though some stuff broke iirc which is why you still needed to mod your PSP to enable this in older games and experience glorious framerate improvements).

Parakeetman

Memory Stick Duo was used in basically all Sony portable devices from their PSP to their portable camera.

I believe it was pushed as a form of flash memory by Sony even before the PSP launched.

All I remember about it was that they pretty much held shit in a "timed exclusive" chokehold for a while before finally letting third party manufacturers into the mix. Was hoping that would be the same for the Vita, but then noticed that the particular card seemed to be Vita only which kinda threw that idea out the window.

Wonder if Sony themselves will produce a first party game with this new power to showcase the strength of the Vita... increasing 3rd party interest...

THE RENAISSANCE

Ravidrath

:) Yeah, I can't wait to play said "2D fighter" on my Vita!
And does that "2D fighter" have a release date? I can't wait till I get my hands on it! ;)

Not officially, but aiming for June for PS4. It'll be cross-buy with the Vita version.

Hoping to get Vita out at the same time, but it might be a little behind that.

Parakeetman

Fuck Im kinda pissed off at myself for having missed the event as am pretty sure could have gone using some connections.

As looks like a lot of interesting / good information came out from it looking through the tweets. The Vita info was just part of that.

Interesting that they release the info there though, but at the same time makes sense, as its a developer / engine type of event.

Parakeetman

I genuinely think the game will be on Vita. I don't see Sony slapping Vita fans in the face by making is PS4 only.

Its not, its doing a smart investment really. As the Vita is not as popular in the West but there still are Vita fans so more folks outside of Japan / Asia would pick up the PS4 version where in Japan it would be split. But they still would have enough sales in the West also on the Vita from original fans to make it profitable.

Good and fun games don't have to be AAA ;)
Besides we're getting dat Falcom goodness, that alone guarantees AAA soundtrack and gameplay.

I would even say, that most games that I play on Vita are games that I can play on short bursts. Hotline Miami, TXK, Olli Olli, etc.

I bought Killzone Mercenary, but I feel I can't be arsed to play that definitely gorgeous game on that (relatively) little display.

I wish (┳Д┳)

No, there is still a 0.0% chance of PS2 emulation on the Vita. The main problem was never RAM, but CPU power and memory bandwidth. The PS2's architecture is very 'weird' in handles things like NaNs (not-a-number) or floating point. Unless the Vita's CPU was designed to handle them in the same way (it's not) it has to do emulation of it in pure software which is one of the primary reasons why the PS2 is so much harder to emulate on modern hardware than more powerful systems like the Gamecube and Wii.

Finalizing software features could also hint at a new device in the pipeline, no?

EDIT: PS3 received an additional 70MB of RAM accessible to devs in 2010, in 2013 we got the PS4. Maybe a little far-fetched then.

Concidering how few big-budget titles is in development for the Vita, I can't help but wish this had been in place for games like Killzone, Uncharted and Gravity Rush. At least it'll be a benefit for those still developing for the system.

Skyzard

Banned
I can feel the power resonating inside the vita growing stronger!

Damn it's powerful, almost feels more goldy as I pick it up now.

Paz gave an answer to this earlier, should give an idea of what would happen.

Argh, thought that might be a bit too good to be true for automatic improvements across the board.

Perhaps some more patches for Borderlands 2 or something.

Hopefully the next gravity rush can run at native resolution if it comes to Vita.

I bet the 30% increase is divided into DLC:

RAM basic DLC 10%
RAM basic bonus DLC 15%
RAM extended edition premium DLC 20%
RAM deluxe extended director's cut edition DLC 30% + Vita 30% Theme

Unfortunately no one will be making any AAA-level games for the Vita:(
Don't have to be AAA. Tower of Guns, very much an indie game, was canceled on Vita because it couldn't handle all the physics calculations fast enough. While extra memory is unlikely to help much with this, there definitely are indie games that can benefit from additional resources on the Vita.

Wow nice! Hopefully we [see] some new games that weren't possible come, perhaps improvements to previous games?
From back when the PS3 had it's available memory increased, the talk was that the devs needed an updated SDK from Sony to take advantage of it, and games made with older SDKs would never know that it was there without a patch.

Top Bottom