• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR external processing box to be size of Wii

SeanR1221

Wow the response to me saying it sucks it's actually kind of funny.

I never said Sony should change it. I understand why it has to be there. It just sucks.

And for the record here is my entertainment center. Headset can easily fit in one of those side cabinets since people are using that as a gotcha

Raist

Banned
This was expected.

My biggest concern is cable management. Based on my current understanding the back of this box is going to be pretty busy. I count:

Back panel:
2 HDMI (1 in from PS4, 1 out to TV)
2 USB3/AUX (1 to PS4, 1 to camera)
1 power
Front panel:
1 HDMI (to headset)
1 USB3 (to headset)

There's space on my equipment stand, but I'd prefer to avoid a rat's nest of cables if I can.

Huh? There's 5 total, not 7.

Schrade

I can vouch for the headset comfort.
The article is misleading. That breakout box is much smaller than a wii.

Can you change the title? I mean I haven't even used the thing in person but even I know the box isn't the size of a Wii.

Yeah. You're right. Sony designing an additional external processing unit for PSVR has nothing to do with making the VR experience better and was obviously done to alienate existing and potential customers who don't have enough shelf space for a box that is smaller than a hardcover book.

This move by Sony to make PSVR work at a level high enough to run VR games is obviously comparable to Don Mattrick's famous quote that was an insult to the intelligence of gamers everywhere. Yeah, I can see how those are comparable.

Good reaction to a joke.

5taquitos

I never said Sony should change it. I understand why it has to be there. It just sucks.

And for the record here is my entertainment center. Headset can easily fit in one of those side cabinets since people are using that as a gotcha

Completely OT, but I had that exact same entertainment center. It was terrible at cooling electronics.

ClearData

Does anyone think that the next hardware revision of the PS4 might integrate this little processing box into the console itself? I really like how Sony integrates the power brick into the console itself and I think they might apply the same concept into the next PS4 model so that it is an even more all-in-one solution for VR out of the box. That way you could just plug the VR headset into the PS4 and away you go.

Please make that happen Sony.

Raist

Banned
OK, which did I get wrong?

gdc-sony-project-morproqqy.jpg

SeanR1221

Completely OT, but I had that exact same entertainment center. It was terrible at cooling electronics.

Yeah I have to leave the cabinet door open when I play ps4.

I do like that it takes up the whole wall and my wife likes that it looks nicer than an open display.

Cudder

Saw the unit at PSX. The small box is WAY smaller than a Wii. It's maybe a bit bigger than, say, a full wallet from what I remember.

nded

Looks like you can just put the processing box next to your TV. You'll probably want it there anyway because I assume you wouldn't want to leave the cabinet open all the time to accommodate the headset cable.

This was expected.

My biggest concern is cable management. Based on my current understanding the back of this box is going to be pretty busy. I count:

Back panel:
2 HDMI (1 in from PS4, 1 out to TV)
2 USB3/AUX (1 to PS4, 1 to camera)
1 power
Front panel:
1 HDMI (to headset)
1 USB3 (to headset)

There's space on my equipment stand, but I'd prefer to avoid a rat's nest of cables if I can.

That Is a lot of cables and not ideal. I'll have to work something out

OK, so I'm guessing that left to right at the back is power, 2 HDMIs and a USB, what's at the front? Combined HDMI and USB to the headset? Great if true but I'm sure I've seen images of the breakout box with two separate ports at the front feeding into a single lead to the headset.

Biggest issue for me is the USB connection to the PS4. If they use the back panel AUX connection to connect the breakout box and daisy chain the camera then that's fine.
If the breakout box is going to connect to one of the FRONT USB sockets then that is going to be a mess. Someone explain how this is a better design than using the back mounted AUX socket?!

SeanR1221

Looks like you can just put the processing box next to your TV. You'll probably want it there anyway because I assume you wouldn't want to leave the cabinet open all the time to accommodate the headset cable.

I actually already leave the cabinet open so it doesn't overheat. Under the tv isn't a bad idea since it's flat. Not ideal having a box there but it's better than cramming it in an already small space.

Genio88

That's bad, for me is already too uncomfortable to have a headset and having to put it up everytime, I already have a sony hmz which I use for movies and some time gaming so I know that, having also to set up that big box and all the cable to connect it shouldn't be that great. Then there is the price issue, we've seen how console users are pretty interested when it comes to price, having the cheaper console is a huge advantage, it was like that last gen and it's like that this gen too, this thing is gonna be pretty expensive, oculus and vive will cost about 400$ and they have just the visor and gamepads, thi one with that box which will likely have some kind of CPU, GPU and maybe even RAM will raise the price a lot.

Raist

Banned
OK, so I'm guessing that left to right at the back is power, 2 HDMIs and a USB, what's at the front? Combined HDMI and USB to the headset? Great if true but I'm sure I've seen images of the breakout box with two separate ports at the front feeding into a single lead to the headset.

Biggest issue for me is the USB connection to the PS4. If they use the back panel AUX connection to connect the breakout box and daisy chain the camera then that's fine.
If the breakout box is going to connect to one of the FRONT USB sockets then that is going to be a mess. Someone explain how this is a better design than using the back mounted AUX socket?!

HDMI and USB between the PS4 and the box
HDMI between the box and the TV
HDMI between the box and the headset
Power

Isn't that the old design?

Yes, but I don't see why they'd need 2 extra cables now.

That's bad, for me is already too uncomfortable to have a headset and having to put it up everytime, I already have a sony hmz which I use for movies and some time gaming so I know that, having also to set up that big box and all the cable to connect it shouldn't be that great. Then there is the price issue, we've seen how console users are pretty interested when it comes to price, having the cheaper console is a huge advantage, it was like that last gen and it's like that this gen too, this thing is gonna be pretty expensive, oculus and vive will cost about 400$ and they have just the visor and gamepads, thi one with that box which will likely have some kind of CPU, GPU and maybe even RAM will raise the price a lot.

No they already said it will be cheap.

thi one with that box which will likely have some kind of CPU, GPU and maybe even RAM will raise the price a lot.

I think it's pretty low-spec SOC territory; it's doing a bit of image reprocessing (prepping the 'social screen' image for the TV, either flattening the headset image or decoding a USB stream for asymmetric multiplayer).

It's not doing any heavy lifting. If I were a gambling man, I bet good money on PSVR being the cheapest of the three.

HDMI and USB between the PS4 and the box
HDMI between the box and the TV
HDMI between the box and the headset
Power

Yes, but I don't see why they'd need 2 extra cables now.

Where's your USB to/from the headset? How are the inertial sensors going to communicate with the PS4?

Raist

Banned
Where's your USB to/from the headset? How are the inertial sensors going to communicate with the PS4?

HDMI-CEC?

I mean quite clearly on the earlier version there was only 1 USB and that worked just fine. And it look just like a regular HDMI at the front. No idea why there's two cables that merge into one now, they don't look like USB or HDMI or anything anyway.

SJRB

Gold Member
Whatever it takes. Seriously.

If need be I'd put up three boxes, as long as the VR experience is worth it.

HDMI-CEC?

I mean quite clearly on the earlier version there was only 1 USB and that worked just fine. And it look just like a regular HDMI at the front. No idea why there's two cables that merge into one now, they don't look like USB or HDMI or anything anyway.

HDMI-CEC to send the positional data to the PS4?

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I strongly believe that there's a USB and HDMI connection to the headset. Maybe they had a USB hub somewhere in the old setup.

I think the only contentious point is how they choose to connect the breakout box to the PS4; I'm OK with any solution which doesn't involve the front USB sockets.

Actually, upon second look, the length of the cable leading form the headset to the "box" isn't all that long. I expect the box will be pulled out close to the user when in use, and the cable leading from the back of the box will provide the extension needed to reach the console.... Unless they want everyone to be balls deep close to the console when they play VR.

And VITA was a brand new game platform too. We have no clue the price yet.
...reaching. Why set such low expectations for the price? While we don't have a clue what the price will be yet, we can easily assume its not going to be $200. At $200, this headset will not have the quality/fidelity to succeed. I personally don't want some Fisher Price headset made with Tinker Toy & Duplo components.

They said it would have a "console sized" cost.

Whether that equates a PS4 or launch PS3 price is up to the reveal next year.

Call me an optimist, but I just don't see it, sorry:

Launch PS3/PS4 cost? What's the BOM on this? A smartphone screen, lenses, sensors, breakout box that's probably on par with an RPi2, what else? Misc USB and HDMI gubbins? No way is this new console launch territory. I'm calling £250 for the box and headset (which based on the magic electronics exchange rate is $250-300).

And VITA was a brand new game platform too. We have no clue the price yet.

VITA came out a full year before PS4, it wasn't brand new when they made that statement, and it didn't feel new while the PS4 did. There's no way they would have expected people to think of anything but PS4 or XBox One when they talked about brand new game platforms. Also, Oculus Rift is going to me "more than $350", and that is being sold for cost, no profit whatsoever; the PSVR isn't going to be wildly different in build costs.

...reaching. Why set such low expectations for the price? While we don't have a clue what the price will be yet, we can easily assume its not going to be $200. At $200, this headset will not have the quality/fidelity to succeed. I personally don't want some Fisher Price headset made with Tinker Toy & Duplo components.

I'm the one NOT setting expectations as new console priced doesn't mean anything and that's what I am illustrating.We will know the price when it's announced and we don't have enough info to conjecture IMO.

ElNino

Call me an optimist, but I just don't see it, sorry:

Launch PS3/PS4 cost? What's the BOM on this? A smartphone screen, lenses, sensors, breakout box that's probably on par with an RPi2, what else? Misc USB and HDMI gubbins? No way is this new console launch territory. I'm calling £250 for the box and headset (which based on the magic electronics exchange rate is $250-300).
It also needs the PS Camera, which I assume will be a bundled option as well.

I can't imagine it being any less than $300 at a minimum, but I'm guessing $400.

border

Are there still people trying to convince themselves that this is going to be "cheap"?

The Samsung Gear VR is already $100 to start with, and that's like an empty shell of a headset with no sensors or video display. Oculus is aiming upwards of $350, and doesn't have to include all the extra video processing hardware like PSVR does.

Nafai1123

Banned
Actually, upon second look, the length of the cable leading form the headset to the "box" isn't all that long. I expect the box will be pulled out close to the user when in use, and the cable leading from the back of the box will provide the extension needed to reach the console.... Unless they want everyone to be balls deep close to the console when they play VR.

I don't think that's the actual length of the cable. Seems way too short.

I've said this over and over again, but the components of PSVR resemble a Vita a hell of a lot more than a PS4. I could easily see it launching around $250 for the standalone headset.

Are there still people trying to convince themselves that this is going to be "cheap"?

The Samsung Gear VR is already $100 to start with, and that's like an empty shell of a headset with no sensors or video display. Oculus is aiming upwards of $350, and doesn't have to include all the extra video processing hardware like PSVR does.

The GearVR has sensors and electronics inside. I'm also pretty sure Samsung is selling that with a decent profit margin since they aren't getting a cut of software sales.

I actually already leave the cabinet open so it doesn't overheat. Under the tv isn't a bad idea since it's flat. Not ideal having a box there but it's better than cramming it in an already small space.

You could also leave it in a cabinet or drawer when not in use and place it under the tv or somewhere else when using it. You're going to have to get up to plug the headset in anyways.

Why does it suck you'd need a Wii sized box in your entertainment center in addition to whatever else you have in there?

I mean I guess if I have to explain.

I don't want another box in there. I have 4 spots. One for the surround receiver, one for the cable box, one for ps4 and one for Wii U. I'm out of space, unless I cram it in with the ps4 and it already gets warm in that enclosed space.

First world problems.

GearVR has motion sensors, more accurate than the ones in the phone.

I thought you set expectation by associating the price with VITA.

In the conversation, I mentioned VITA as another new console, showing that the info we've been given tells us nothing about pricing.

"We have no clue the price yet."

Qwark

Especially when you consider that the VR headset will be packaged with these now useless boxes. Unless they take out the box, in which case old PS4 owners will be buying the new VR headsets without all the kit they need. Recipe for confusion

I don't suppose they could build the box into the headset 2.0 instead of the PS4 slim? Then they don't have to worry about different PS4's needing the box. But power would be an issue, it's probably not realistic with the tech we have now.

Top Bottom