• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

alf717

Been playing the Rockman Complete Works titles and they are pretty good ports of the original NES versions. The unlock system offers some nice perks which make the games super easy but how you save the unlock-ables is a bit ridiculous and tedious since you have to save twice once in the settings and in the database. So if you forget to save them they are gone and you gotta beat the game again. Fun to play but make sure you save your settings and database images before you power off the console. All I need now is a pocket station. =)

I picked up a disc only copy of Gekioh Shooting King and noticed that there was no background music playing during the game. I checked YouTube and saw there was music in the videos I watched. Is there a bug playing this on PS3 or is the disc messed up? I haven't dug out an actual PS1 to test.

what do you consider large for a trinitron? i have a 27" that weight more than 160lbs and I like it for gaming.

between 27 and 35 or so .... maybe even more ...?

i already own one of those stero LG tvs which as you may know is not exzaclty perfect

located in AU so might be a challenge getting what i need

alot of the PVMs i had seen were way to Small

or is there a more modern CRT i should look for ?

hey guys i found this black label for 10 bucks today:
uvyfDTCh.jpg

XiNos0ph.jpg

aaQIeOuh.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Tekken 3 was my first PS1 game, and is easily one of the best home fighting game releases ever... especially by 1998 standards.

Vespa

Favourite Tekken alongside Tag 1, I remember playing this at home with a few friends religiously and then going to the arcades thinking we were about to show up some fools. Nope. Arcade was another world! It encouraged us to get better and better though.

The Tekken Ball mode was a ton of fun outside of VS, I enjoyed that more than the bowling and 'streets of rage' modes in the other games. It's a solid port considering the arcade tech it was released on, really impressed at what Namco pulled off on the ps1.

oh yeah tekken 3 brings back so many memories. the 1st arcade conversion that had way more to offer that i stopped going to the arcades and plucking down quarters.

i think this game was the start of the death of arcades and people staying home and playing on consoles.

IrishNinja

Tekken 3 was my first PS1 game, and is easily one of the best home fighting game releases ever... especially by 1998 standards.

it was one of the first times i remember thinking we really closed the gap from console to arcade (with bonus characters/gameplay features to boot!)...it was incredible for its time

dubc35

One of my roommates at the time Tekken 3 was big was dating a Nina so of course he got shit for playing as, or losing to, Nina lol. I'm not a huge fighting game fan but Tekken 3 is solid.

Timu

Wait, really? Even in-game? I think the loading screens/the VS screens were in 480i, but I didn't realize the whole thing was.
Yes, the whole game, even in game too. The res changed when I tested the game with my capture card(like 240p for the PS1 boot screen, but 480i for the whole game).

Yes, the whole game, even in game too. The res changed when I tested the game with my capture card(like 240p for the PS1 boot screen, but 480i for the whole game).

This is the same for the Ridge Racer Turbo disc, and the menues in Rage Racer & Ridge Racer type 4 I think. At least they go all weird in emulators without forcing any settings. Plus Tekken 3 is like this all the way.

I recall other 60fps titles do this too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Was Tobal 2 the same way? I seem to recall that being hi-rez but I could be wrong. Also, this reminds me that I haven't opened the copy of that game I bought like a year and a half ago. But I did love the game back in the day!

Also, it probably has the best fighting game soundtrack ever. Top 3, at worst.

Finally getting around to playing Spyro 2 after about two decades

I played the first and third game when I was younger but never got around to this. But honestly I think it might be the best one.

I loved the simplicity of the first game and three just felt a bit bloaded even if it did add some interesting elements

2 seems to be like a better balance between the two.

Vespa

Nice shots, ResidentDante, they look really cool framed with the book.

I've been thinking about playing TR1 recently as I don't think I ever completed it (Maybe got 80% through it?), I remember playing with a friend where we would take turns trying to solve the puzzles and swap every time one of us died, it was a really fun way to play it.

I take it the PC version with patches is the best way to play it today?

^dante posts dope stuff like that y'all, be sure to follow!
we need more retroGAF on there

Nice shots, ResidentDante, they look really cool frames with the book.

I've been thinking about playing TR1 recently as I don't think I ever completed it (Maybe got 80% through it?), I remember playing with a friend where we would take turns trying to solve the puzzles and swap every time one of us died, it was a really fun way to play it.

I take it the PC version with patches is the best way to play it today?
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

As for TR1 I asked the same recently and KainXVIII answered, the Steam version is the way to go apparently:
Steam PC version with this patch (patched windows version, widescreen support, remastered fmvs, missing music, psx water color + unfinished business levels) for sure! I beat it not a long time ago (gamepad support through steam ds4 support, buuut keyboard is more comfortable for me) - it was a blast!
PS - my screenshot gallery
It adds the PS1 music etc. I'm going to try it any day soon myself!

Vespa

I've just installed the patch for TR1 on steam without a problem, looks as good as I remember it! I was surprised to see it locked to 30fps, I don't know if there's a mod but I came across the PowerVR version which is 60fps.

I've just installed the patch for TR1 on steam without a problem, looks as good as I remember it! I was surprised to see it locked to 30fps, I don't know if there's a mod but I came across the PowerVR version which is 60fps.
It's locked to 30 because it always was on PC, DF retro covered it and explained so at least. Good to hear it works, I'll give it a go myself soon!

The first Tomb Raider was amazing for it's time. It's the only one I've beaten or put much time into. I was messing around with a ps1 emulator last year and put it on and played through a few hours of it and it held up fine to me even though it's a little clunky.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I remember i came to one of the last levels, possibly the absolute last. There you first had to kill a lot of flying things that hatched from eggs all over the room, and after that do a jump that i was never able to do. Of course you landed in the lava and got killed if you screwed it up - and had to replay the start of the level. Eventually i got tired of this - and quit. But its definitely an awesome game for sure.

I beat it and loved it when it first came out in the fall of 1996. It was a revelation in its day, even coming as it did in the same timeframe as Super Mario 64. However, I never spent any serious time with any of the sequels on PS1. I need to correct that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I beat it and loved it when it first came out in the fall of 1996. It was a revelation in its day, even coming as it did in the same timeframe as Super Mario 64. However, I never spent any serious time with any of the sequels on PS1. I need to correct that.

2 is very very good.

Just be prepared for some frustrating parts with human enemies.

Top Bottom