• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Graphical Leaps

Road & Track Presents: The Need For Speed (NFS1)
Om1TV6M.jpg

Need For Speed: High Stakes (NFS4)

Everyday people come to the conclusion that graphical leaps are getting smaller and smaller the better tech we get. It's how technology/graphical evolution works, it's pretty logical!

I'm not jealous of future generations with their close to photorealistic graphics in nearly every game. They will never know what it was like living through the 8/16/32 bit era. Sure they will have small games that emulate the look of that but it's not the same as having been there thinking "This is the best ever! They never gonna top that!" just to have it crushed by several magnitudes of better graphics a few years later.

Everyday people come to the conclusion that graphical leaps are getting smaller and smaller the better tech we get. It's how technology/graphical evolution works, it's pretty logical!

I'm not jealous of future generations with their close to photorealistic graphics in nearly every game. They will never know what it was like living through the 8/16/32 bit era. Sure they will have small games that emulate the look of that but it's not the same as having been there thinking "This is the best ever! They never gonna top that!" just to have it crushed by several magnitudes of better graphics a few years later.

Good times :)

Seanspeed

Banned

I'm jealous that once we start truly getting nearer photorealism, development is going to turn more creative and art style will become a bigger differentiator when it comes to graphics. Performance might take a larger priority as well.

While watching the jump in graphics has been amazing, its the people at the end of the chain that are going to reap the benefits of all the growing pains.

slapnuts

I was watching a video of Wipeout XL/2097 and recalled the first time I saw it in person. The graphical leap from Wipeout to Wipeout XL was massive:

Ridge Racer is another good example:

Ridge Racer 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkR-B5np6R0

Ridge Racer Revolution was a fairly decent upgrade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_RtwNK5R2E

But then Rage Racer came along and we had another massive leap forward:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaC6CbImTH8

Not to leave out, of course, R4 which was jaw-dropping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrwmxB4OW8

What do you think?

R4 man....i remember how amazing that game looked compared to other games on PS1 or any console of that era honestly. The game literally looked like a next gen game, i mean it looked like a game we could expect (at that time) on PS2..it was that damn impressive.

It is amazing what they were able to squeeze out of PS1 at the end of its life, also it amazes me that by choosing the right color pallet makes a world of difference but it was not just that color pallet...Namco really optimized and used all sorts of nifty shortcuts to get R4 looking the way it did, impressive indeed! Its the kind of game that i could still handle playing today by a visual standpoint.

I only found out they were by the same developers on an episode of Game Sack last night. I loved Ghost In the Shell. Would be nice if I could buy it on PSN and revisit it.

only ever got to play the demo of ghost in the shell but i still remember playing that all those years ago

quite a unique game (demo)

Abe's Exodus. Only 9 months after it's first game comes out and it comes with more content, better controls, and more bad ass FMV's than Abe's Oddysee from Oddworld Inhabitants. I'm excited for the remake coming tomorrow and have been going back and replaying all these old games.

Ridge 4 looks great but it's 30fps. Ridge 1 was capable of 60 on PS1 hardware as evidenced by the bonus disc that came with R4.

D.Lo

EDIT: Maybe RR4, but it definitely lacks the framerate and texture smoothness of SR arcade.
Lol no this R4 love is out of proportion. It used a motion blur filter well, and that weird shading technique that smoothed texture surfaces somewhat while creating a dot pattern.

But it wasn't that special otherwise, apart from being a lot better than the last RR game (as you'd hope, it was two years later, and GT had raised the bar by then). It was still 20fps and had all the PS1 pop-up, jittery textures and texture seam issues. Unlike Tekken 3 which I could not believe was on the PS1. THAT was a game that looked like a Model 2 game.

SkylineRKR

More like an STV game -- Tekken 3 had great character models for a PS1 game, but they're still not as good as AM2's work, and the backgrounds are just flat images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnvKM2Ycdu0

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuJBAC8EiYY

Tekken 3 came out in 1997 and was quite ugly in fact. But the aesthetics, animations and flash made it look really good and it just played very god damn flawless. In our arcade VF3 stood next to T3, but EVERYONE went for Tekken 3. Though VF3 absolutely murdered Tekken 3 when it came to visuals. This was Model 3 ofcourse, which was pretty much Ps2 generation.

But Sega's Model 2 stuff beat Tekken 3 too, The 60fps, true 3d backdrops and lighting of Model 2 was a bridge too far for the PS1 generation. Model 2 is somewhat inbetween Ps1 and Dreamcast, though Dynamite Cop didn't look that bad for a DC launch game.

Can't believe that Vagrant Story wasn't mentioned yet...or my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Well the thread is mainly about series that got better graphically during their PS1 lifespans, and I don't think Vagrant Story had a predecessor did it?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Tekken 3 came out in 1997 and was quite ugly in fact. But the aesthetics, animations and flash made it look really good and it just played very god damn flawless. In our arcade VF3 stood next to T3, but EVERYONE went for Tekken 3. Though VF3 absolutely murdered Tekken 3 when it came to visuals. This was Model 3 ofcourse, which was pretty much Ps2 generation.

But Sega's Model 2 stuff beat Tekken 3 too, The 60fps, true 3d backdrops and lighting of Model 2 was a bridge too far for the PS1 generation. Model 2 is somewhat inbetween Ps1 and Dreamcast, though Dynamite Cop didn't look that bad for a DC launch game.
Tekken is unquestionably a sexier franchise so that sounds about right. wish I saw vf3 when it launched in 96 -- for me it was a dreamcast launch title alongside soul calibur which was its visual superior (well... in terms of character models. am2 had stages locked down til soul calibur 5!)

SkylineRKR

Tekken is unquestionably a sexier franchise so that sounds about right. wish I saw vf3 when it launched in 96 -- for me it was a dreamcast launch title alongside soul calibur which was its visual superior (well... in terms of character models. am2 had stages locked down til soul calibur 5!)

I did, and its a good wish to make. Because there was nothing like it. When I saw it for the first time I nearly fainted. VF3 was basically a Ps2 game during the first or second year of the PS1 lifecycle. I never experienced a bigger graphical revelation up to this day. Arcades were always a step ahead of consoles, but not a leap this huge. That hardware was business, but I think it also did cost some 30k. The first game to beat it was SC on Dreamcast which came out a good 3 years later.

I did, and its a good wish to make. Because there was nothing like it. When I saw it for the first time I nearly fainted. VF3 was basically a Ps2 game during the first or second year of the PS1 lifecycle. I never experienced a bigger graphical revelation up to this day. Arcades were always a step ahead of consoles, but not a leap this huge. That hardware was business, but I think it also did cost some 30k.

Dat Lockheed Martin tech. VF3 was mindblowing at the time.

Majmun

Colin McRae Rally >>>>> Colin McRae Rally 2

The graphical difference was huge. CMR2 is one of the best looking PS1 games ever.

only ever got to play the demo of ghost in the shell but i still remember playing that all those years ago

quite a unique game (demo)

It got pretty dope towards the end of the game, strafing up skyscrapers and stuff. Looking back, the only thing I wasn't fond of were the 2 or 3 on-rails levels... at least not the one where you're on a raft in the water, anyway.

I'd love to see a modern FPS push every-surface-is-a-floor concept to the max with a great world/story concept, with the dual analog standard we have now that we didn't then.

Ridge 4 looks great but it's 30fps. Ridge 1 was capable of 60 on PS1 hardware as evidenced by the bonus disc that came with R4.
True point, but (and this is on the demo disc that comes w/ the game actually) a dev note says they only managed to get that demo to 60fps by cutting out all of the other cars.

I mean in a way, you don't really have RR1 w/o those bastard yellow and black cars. That demo also felt much easier.

It got pretty dope towards the end of the game, strafing up skyscrapers and stuff. Looking back, the only thing I wasn't fond of were the 2 or 3 on-rails levels... at least not the one where you're on a raft in the water, anyway.

I'd love to see a modern FPS push every-surface-is-a-floor concept to the max with a great world/story concept, with the dual analog standard we have now that we didn't then.
If you can get past the hippie-ish visual style, Visioneck looks like it's gonna try some of that and a lot more. It's PS4 only tho, and an arena vs. shooter. Don't think story is gonna be the main focus there at all.

The 60fps, true 3d backdrops and lighting of Model 2 was a bridge too far for the PS1 generation.
Innocuous choice of words at a glance..

...notes Saturn VF2 was missing the bridge in Shun's stage..

...Saturn was part of PS1 ge- -

I see what you did there.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
We need some Twisted Metal series screenshots here! Those games got muuuuch better looking between the first & Small Brawl!

So many PS1 threads these days, wow.
Cause its recently made it into the retro gaming system rank an retro is in these days!

Holy nostalgia glasses.
He's not wrong tho. He's obviously not talking about games like TTT or SSX, but stuff like this:

supercar_12_640w.jpg

Looks good in a screenshot, runs like shit during play. I was mega-disappointed b/c I was so hyped on supercars back when I played this too.

totally off topic but I think Jumping Flash would make a great Project Morpheus game
That pretty much goes without saying ;)

The intro to that game was crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllxBaIe9aA

Stealth edit:

(I just realized the hand-drawn animation and even the voice acting is pretty much the same as the Stand Alone Complex team. But this game came out in 97 and SAC didn't come out until 2002...Pretty interesting.)

rjc571

Banned
He's not wrong tho. He's obviously not talking about games like TTT or SSX, but stuff like this:

supercar_12_640w.jpg

Looks good in a screenshot, runs like shit during play. I was mega-disappointed b/c I was so hyped on supercars back when I played this too.

That pretty much goes without saying ;)

If you think Ridge Racer 4 looks better than that game, let alone "much better" as the poster originally stated, then you're blind, no offense.
dKNin5o.jpg

If you think Ridge Racer 4 looks better than that game, let alone "much better" as the poster originally stated, then you're blind, no offense.
dKNin5o.jpg
I said "in motion", and this for me also pertains to art direction going towards the overall look of the game.

Trust me, I've played both. RR4 looks and feels much smoother in motion than SSC.

If you want to take it even further, RR4 pushed the PS1 much more than SSC pushed the PS2, but that sort of discussion isn't what this thread is focused on.

EDIT: Even if SSC is 60fps.

EDIT 2: Okay, SSC looks more fluid than I remember. But it's such a mediocre game compared to RR4, smooth framerate doesn't make up for that.

The intro to that game was crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllxBaIe9aA

Stealth edit:

(I just realized the hand-drawn animation and even the voice acting is pretty much the same as the Stand Alone Complex team. But this game came out in 97 and SAC didn't come out until 2002...Pretty interesting.)

Yeah it is... never thought about the timeframe but it did always seem like a forgotten "chapter" when SAC came into play.

Watching that intro makes me realize I just want that a brand new, modern version of that... not some other new ip to do it.

Shit frame rate talk just reminded me of Driver 2, I remember being so hyped for that game because of how much I liked the first driver and was hyped for getting out of the car! But then it sucked, awful pop-up and the frame rate I swear had to max out the low teens. Developers really got too ambitious, it's still my go to example of developers trying to do way more than the hardware was capable of. It also made GTA III on PS2 seem even more amazing with it only coming out less than a year later to me back then and yes, I enjoyed the jab at Driver 2 DMA added.

But Driver 2 still did at least one thing that after 13 years Rockstar has yet to do and that's motherfuckin' drawbridges! Granted that was because of the Chicago setting and Rockstar hasn't gone there. Reflections has now at least twice counting their involvement with Watch Dogs though drawbridges aren't as fun in that game, like a lot of things. =\ But man, I really like jumping off drawbridges as they're rising. Oh well, there's Mafia I guess.

Top Bottom