• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 > PS2

Red Scarlet

Hmm, this is a hard statement to reply to. While I have 4x the PS1 (40-something) games than PS2 games (10 or 12), and in more genres, I don't really play all that many more of my PS1 games than PS2 games. So I guess I did enjoy the PS1 era much more going by what I actually purchased (but I actually had money then too compared to the PS2 era, which I didn't become a part of until 2003), although I probably play both systems now around the same amount of time.

As for Square's output in comparison, both generations seemed about the same as the others; lots of games released, only a very low (mainly FF games and a very small handful of other titles) number I actually enjoyed.

I know a lot of people tend to find the PS1 era as possibly Square's "golden age", but I certainly am not in that crowd; a lot of the higher-touted non-FF games released in that period are games I could not enjoy at all. So the PS1 era (or any other single era) seems no different than the others to me.

I'll utterly disagree with the topic title. Unless you're an RPG nut, I can't understand how you'd like PS1 over PS2.

PS2 had Twisted Metal: Black, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4, God of War 1+2, and probably a lot of games I didn't even play that are just great.

PS1 had Symphony of the Night, though, I'll give it that.

EDIT: oh, Einhander was a good one too. Still...

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
PS2 may be better on a game by game basis from a historical standpoint, but I know I had more fun with the PSOne. The technology was innovative and meant far more at the time than the PS2 ever did.

I did manage to have as much fun with Tenchu: WOH, Katamari and Okami as with almost anything on the PSOne though.

The last generation was disappointing for me. Sega killed the Dreamcast and SNK died within the same year, Nintendo could no longer be trusted by me to deliver an AAA games even in their most important franchises. The decline of Square and Konami (I mostly cared for Goemon and Bemani, which were much better in the 90's), the decline of the 2D fighter, etc.

I still loving gaming, but it's not like it used to be for me. But, maybe that's just growing up, not any sort of real external factor.

Red Scarlet

Was TM: Black any good? I've only played TM1 and 2 and always generally heard the games after 2 were no good.

Mikazuki said:
I did manage to have as much fun with Tenchu

Understatement of the millennium!

Twisted Metal: Black was (and still is) pure, unadulterated SEX. It totally wipes the floor with past TM games.

EDIT: and the criticism of TM games past 2 that you're thinking of is probably about TM3/TM4, and that Micro Racers TM game, all on the PS1 and done by a different developer. The series was redeemed by TM:B.

antiloop

leesmapman said:
Backwards compatibility. Therefor: PS2 > PS1

True.

PS1 was the golden era for me though, it has a special spot in my heart. :)

Suikoden I,II, TM 1&2, Chrono Cross, Xenogears and so on..

Red Scarlet

What's it do that's so fantabulous? I don't think I've seen any positivity towards TM3 or Black before (aside from "TM BLACK IS FREE" when they were giving it away for some reason).

Any cool videos? I really liked TM2 but was scared off from the later ones.

Read the edit in my last post.

Let's see... TM:B is about a bajillion times faster than the PS1 games. This allows for vehicles with a lot more manuverability, allowing you to do all kinds of crazy swevers and precise driving. The arenas are a lot cooler (though some say Paris in 2 was the greatest) overall, and the presentation is boosted up a notch.

Basically, it just plays a lot better than past games, and the arenas are all consistently excellent.

Yes, they people who did 1&2 did Black.

There's an icy stage in Black as well.

And, if Gamerankings means anything to you, Black got an 88% average. 2 got a 84% average.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Also a bit early to make the comparison. PS2 still has some legs in it. Who knows what might happen when the price drops to >$100

MoxManiac

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, cool. I'll look for some videos of Black, then. Thanks!
Gamerankings doesn't mean anything to me, personally.

Black was basically TM's truimphant return. If you like TM1 and 2, you'll love black.

Setanta

I think with the PS1 the PS2 had a very hard act to follow, in my opinion.
I enjoyed the games the PS had on offer more so than what was/is on PS2. No Playstation brand console Final Fantasy game for instance, compares to 7 again in my opinion. Nothing beats the nostalgia of first playing Ridge Racer for the first time as well.

Yamauchi

Banned
I had so much more fun with the PS1 than I did with the PS2. I was playing and beating awesome games on the PS1 once every month. Just hasn't happened for me with the PS2.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I agree, but for one major reason. I felt this gen with the PS2, there was more focus on gritty realistic type games (like GTA), and since I'm not really a fan of those, I'd have to go with PS1.

However, taken that out of the equation, I'd say both were roughly equal imo.

Flo_Evans

GT3 and 4 >> GT1 and 2.
SotC and ICO.. nothing was even similar.
The PS1 had FFT, but the PS2 had Disgea.
What did the PS1 have for adventure games? Okami >>> all
RE2 was good but RE4 is the best! I played it on my cube but that is besides the point.
Katamari!?!
MGS2 was a little meh but 3 rocked. Still MGS has a special place in my heart. I think you can be nostalgic for something from when you where 17-18.

I think the PS2 gave us the best versions of PS1 series + tons of other cool stuff.

The only company that lost it was square. It seems that is more people outgrowing the genre than an actual decline in quality.

PS. parrapa the rapper vs. guitar hero: I gotta go with guitar hero!

Joei

When I read the first post I was thinking PS2 no question, but then I took a glance at my games and realized I have 35 odd PS1 games and 8 or so PS2 games.

PS1 had a much stronger stable of RPGs, and as was mentioned, Symphony of the Night, plus the early Tomb Raider games were rather fun.

And PS3 has no way failed just yet. Granted, it has issues right now, but who knows what'll happen later.

I owned a ps1 since resident evil 1, with the ps2 I only had it around the gt3 and mgs2 period, but the ps1 showed me some games I never tried before like rpg's and simulation racing etc.

To me ps1 was superior but theres a ton of great things on ps2 now.

Idioteque

Both are amazing, and easily the two best consoles ever made.

Both consoles had the same great third party support. But I think the PS2 was the better console. Mostly because of how much Sony had improved as a game developer.

I also think the PS2 had better third party. (Square was better on the PS1 though.)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think the comparison between the two is very similar to NES --> SNES.

I loved the PS1 RPGs and racers like GT, and some fighters as well.

But to be honest, on the PS2 -- I loved the sports and racing games (SSX, NFS, Madden, etc), the RPGs (DQVIII, DQX, DQXII), its GTAs, AND its fighting games.

It's a really close call, I think I had more fun with PS1 though during it's lifespan for whatever reason (could be my age at the time, less systems owned at the time (N64/PS1 vs. GC/Xbox/PS2))

Defuser

Luken said:
I had more fun playing Spiderman 2 for PS1 than Spiderman 2 for PS2.

work_seo3.gif

You couldn’t swing freely through the city, but the levels were challenging and the fight against the villains were awesome, especially the fight against Sandman.

:)
Oh ravensoft,i hope you make a trilogy for this very awesome game

My god, the people who say "Ps2 can play Ps1 games LOLZ DEFAULT WIN" are morons. Do you really need an explanation on this?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
PS2 is best console ever there is not contest here. flawless victory.

Tsubaki

Playstation by a mile.

Neither PS1 nor PS2 has good action games, but PS1 wins the RPG department hands down. About the only thing PS2 has over PS1 is the rhythm/music genre, but otherwise, nearly every ps2 game I play is one disappointment after another.

Tsubaki said:
Playstation by a mile.

Neither PS1 nor PS2 has good action games, but PS1 wins the RPG department hands down. About the only thing PS2 has over PS1 is the rhythm/music genre, but otherwise, nearly every ps2 game I play is one disappointment after another.

Yyeeaaahhhhh... No.

ethelred

I liked the PSX more than the PS2, personally. I still think it's the best RPG system ever made. It's a bit disappointing when you look at the two libraries and see that almost every RPG franchise across the two systems had stronger entries on the PSX than the later console (Breath of Fire is one of the few exceptions). And beyond that, there was far more innovation and franchise birthing on the PSX, and the PS2 was an SRPG wasteland.

ethelred said:
I liked the PSX more than the PS2, personally. I still think it's the best RPG system ever made. It's a bit disappointing when you look at the two libraries and see that almost every RPG franchise across the two systems had stronger entries on the PSX than the later console (Breath of Fire is one of the few exceptions). And beyond that, there was far more innovation and franchise birthing on the PSX, and the PS2 was an SRPG wasteland.

Would you say Valkyrie Profile was better on PS1 or PS2?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
disappeared said:
Last I checked, I couldn't play Silent Hill 2 on the PSOne. PS2 wins in my book.

Funny enough, the best version of that game isn't even on PS2...

I think in terms of better games I think the PS2 has more than PS1 when considering all types of games, not just RPGs. But in terms of the ratio of good games to bad ones, PS1 wins because like previously mentioned the PS2 has tons of generic shooters and lame movie cash ins.

djtiesto said:
Funny enough, the best version of that game isn't even on PS2...

Are you talking about Restless Dreams? That actually did make it to PS2 in the form of the GH version of SH2 (which is impossible to find).

PS2's darkest hour was Wipeout Fusion, the thing got delayed to hell and when they finally release, its not even a real wipeout. It took a while for the bitterness to go away.
But apart from that little disappointment the PS2 has provided more enjoyable moments than the PSONE, but only slightly. IMO.
GTA, GT3, GoW, Burnout, ICO, street fighter games, Tekken Tag, Ace Combats, Pro Evo Soccer, dynasty warriors, mario kart, FFXII, those wacky buzz games and Singstars. So much!
PS1 had more original content though.

I liked the PS more too, it just felt like a much more significant system to me. There are more memorable games on it, and it represents a time when Sony was actually doing some good in the game industry...

puck1337

CurlySaysX said:
PS2's darkest hour was Wipeout Fusion, the thing got delayed to hell and when they finally release, its not even a real wipeout. It took a while for the bitterness to go away.
But apart from that little disappointment the PS2 has provided more enjoyable moments than the PSONE, but only slightly. IMO.
GTA, GT3, GoW, Burnout, ICO, street fighter games, Tekken Tag, Ace Combats, Pro Evo Soccer, dynasty warriors, mario kart, FFXII, those wacky buzz games and Singstars. So much!
PS1 had more original content though.
Love that bit about Mario Kart.

MoxManiac

ethelred said:
PSX.

PSX version is still the best.

I used to think this too, but after ripping VP to my memory stick, playing it on PSP with cart-like load times (in other words, none) i'm now going to disagree.

Tsubaki

Red Scarlet said:
As for Square's output in comparison, both generations seemed about the same as the others; lots of games released, only a very low (mainly FF games and a very small handful of other titles) number I actually enjoyed.

You may be right about that but Square isn't the only one making RPGs. (Thank goodness.)

Ranger X

PS2 wins over PS1 imo

More games. More games it's easier to go back at. Plays PS1 games BETTER than the PS1 for the most part.

Top Bottom