• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 (PSX) - Worst Aging Video Game System to Date?

No way!! This thread makes me want to play Ape Escape...

Patience :) RE games are still completely playable.

Seriously, nothing wrong with the tank controls IMO

and well, last time i checked RE, Parasite Eve, FF, Musashi, Crash, Chrono cross, lots of amazing games still playable and a lot of fun tbh.

Sapiens

I always thought 3D games looked like ass on the PS1 even when it was current - the lack of perspective correction or whatever actually caused that warbling of polygons in motion always bothered me and makes going back to the games even worse now.

Primarily 2D stuff like RPGs hold up better - and something like Symphony of the Night is still gorgeous because it relies very little on 3D at all.

The N64 holds up better but the textures still look terrible.

Well, technically, all 2-D games on the PSX only "looked" 2D - they were actually all just textured polygons displayed at a fixed perspective. By that logic, Castlevania SOTN is the best looking 3D game of the generation.

I always thought 3D games looked like ass on the PS1 even when it was current - the lack of perspective correction or whatever actually caused that warbling of polygons in motion always bothered me and makes going back to the games even worse now.

Primarily 2D stuff like RPGs hold up better - and something like Symphony of the Night is still gorgeous because it relies very little on 3D at all.

The N64 holds up better but the textures still look terrible.

The N64 only holds up better if you ignore the terrible framerates, fog, and garbage camera controls.

rjc571

Banned
No, that would undoubtedly be the Saturn. No other console in history has been outpaced to such a high degree by its contemporaries by the end of its life span.
In 1998, when the Saturn was putting out games that looked like this:
Et6LeTK.png

U8Yh8UL.jpg

3Qmeeyj.jpg

Its competitors were putting out games that looked like this:
QyinSpH.jpg

zHSUsqd.jpg

U6zay8D.jpg

mZwlCEr.jpg

Iacobellis

The texture and model quality on the 3DS usually isn't very high, developers who try to push the graphics end up having games with small rooms and limited numbers of NPCs/enemies. The 3DS disguises this by having the ability to push shaders that weren't possible on comparable older hardware.

That's probably what it is then. I've gotten back into New Leaf and forgot how much better it looks than Wild World.

but then I played my n64 and games like mario 64, mario kart 64, waverace, zelda OOT - they all held up really well.

Please explain. It certainly has been a while, but some time ago I got N64 OoT on my (original) Wii Virtual Console, and both graphics and framerate were seriously hurtin', yo. But if you're talking gameplay, yes, the games you listed are unquestionably all-time classics.

As for the PS1, yea, it's aged pretty badly in terms of graphics, but somehow a lot of the gameplay has held up really well. Fighting games like Soul Edge/Blade, Street Fighter EX + A, Rival Schools, and Tekken 2 are still fun to play to this day. Wait a minute, I may have to take that Tekken 2 back... if they didn't take 1/2 hour to get up after a knock-down, yea it'd be fun. Games like the OG Tomb Raiders or Resident Evils are still fun to play, although any reasonable person that owns REmake wouldn't touch the original PS1 RE1 with a ten-foot pole.

Out of all the GAF retro console threads, I think the PS1 is the most accurate with "... Ugly Ass Polygons..." in the title. :)

Anth0ny

Probably. Easily aged worse than N64 3D games.

Either PS1 or the pre-NES stuff where you have to use your imagination to interpret what the black dot you are playing as represents on the screen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No, that would undoubtedly be the Saturn. No other console in history has been outpaced to such a high degree by its contemporaries by the end of its life span.
Et6LeTK.png

U8Yh8UL.jpg

3Qmeeyj.jpg
Yeah, the graphics are dated, but the games aren't. In fact, SFIII and PDS are among the best games ever made. :)

Even with those things, they hold up better. Also, what about the camera controls? That's really random in a discussion about graphics.

My understanding is that it was a discussion about how the ps1 aged vs. other systems and controls are absolutely relevant there.

The N64 controller despite being designed from the ground up for 3d has absolutely no decent solution for camera control. It would have been much better if they nuked the center prong and swapped the analog and d-pad.

I also don't think limited draw distances and sub-20 fps are anything to scoff at, particularly combined with the aforementioned blurry textures.

The fuck? I only got to the PS1 library this past year when I got a Vita and I've been stunned by the quality of the games. Resident Evil 2&3, MGS, Vagrant Story, and Silent Hill are all great games with excellent mechanics, level design, and art direction that transcends the graphics themselves.

The Saturn definitely had worse 3D capabilities - no hardware support for polygonal transparencies or colored lighting (I think the latter's accurate, but the former certainly is), quad-based rendering instead of polygonal making modelling a chore, etc. However, it did 2D significantly better, in pretty much every situation; fighting games and shmups especially benefited from the Saturn's 2D prowess. (Symphony of the Night is an outlier; because it still attempts to render the 2D game as if it were a 3D one, it has annoying slowdown issues that probably wouldn't have been the case if they had instead played to the Saturn's strengths.)

baphomet

Ps1 had tons of 2d games that have aged beautifully. N64 had 2-3 2d games and the rest aged like the rest of the early 3d games.

So n64 is the console that has aged the worst.

Krejlooc

Banned
Et6LeTK.png

U8Yh8UL.jpg

3Qmeeyj.jpg

Its competitors were putting out games that looked like this:
QyinSpH.jpg

zHSUsqd.jpg

U6zay8D.jpg

mZwlCEr.jpg

In 1998, the Saturn was also putting out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZUcPQAMvg

Which obliterated the competition.

You've also chosen intentionally poor examples. Really, the map screen from Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III?

Couldn't disagree more. I can understand people finding them ugly (I personally find charm in the rough polygonal art) but unplayable? No. They can't be, I play PS1 games on a regular basis.

Krejlooc

Banned
Couldn't disagree more. I can understand people finding them ugly (I personally find charm in the rough polygonal art) but unplayable? No. They can't be, I play PS1 games on a regular basis.

Hyperbole rules the internet, where nobody can just prefer something else, but rather whatever one doesn't prefer is "horrible" or "awful" or "horribly awful."

I play Atari Jaguar games regularly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This topic is bullshit.

Sure the graphics look blocky but PS One has tons of classics. Just as many as N64.

Ape Escape, Silent Hill, RE, Crash, Spyro, GTA1 & 2, FF, the list goes on and on.

Kart94

Banned
Hyperbole rules the internet, where nobody can just prefer something else, but rather whatever one doesn't prefer is "horrible" or "awful" or "horribly awful."

I play Atari Jaguar games regularly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This.

JordanN

Banned
I use to hate the PS1 visuals but I find it cool what the developers manage to get out of it.

ib256aXd4nzup1.png

iQ75fdTRzqXuR.png

iQqEiqjPo1Zpe.jpg

i4pQfrPV94uik.jpg

The DS though was straight up ugly. Way too low poly, with textures that had pixels the size of your fist. The 2D games on it also weren't pretty. A lot of times, it looked like a higher res Gameboy Advance.

OnPoint

Definitely held up the best compared to N64 and Saturn in my opinion. Many games look fine still. I think RE2 and RE3 hold up very well, RE1 not so much. MGS holds up well. The Crash games aged good and certainly better than say SM64. 2D games have no problems at all.

Also I'm probably in the minority but I love tank controls.

The bolded may come down to taste... but man, it doesn't taste good to me.

I do agree with you about tank controls though.

Tain

I would argue that every single game (minus FF) on that list is almost unplayable today.

The good ones in that list would be jarring for like 15 minutes, tops, and wouldn't even be visually jarring if you're using the display they were made for (an SD CRT).

Krejlooc

Banned
Except that the Saturn never "put out" that.

It's running on a stock saturn. It would have put it out had it not died. This is what the system was capable of. The games listed in comparison to Saturn Shenmue came out after the last Saturn game had released. Why is that appropriate but showing off a work in progress Saturn game that got pushed back to another system not because the saturn wasn't capable, but because of market reasons, not appropriate?

It really is about individual games. The Saturn also put out arcade perfect ports of every 2D fighter out at the time. And Virtua Fighter 2.

3DO aged worse. A LOT worse. I remember getting one like 10 years ago and having a really hard time playing anything 3D without thinking, "This looks horrible."

mjontrix

The Saturn I believe was too damn hard to code for - hence it's death.

Also the price!

PSX games - the 3D ones have aged badly mostly but the 2D games are fine!

Tain

I think Saturn is overall the weakest of the bunch, though games like VF2 suggest that it isn't by a huge amount. I think that the Shenmue demo looks nice but is very choppy and has very small and focused scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if the PSX could handle it. Or something similar, maybe with lesser textures and better lighting or something.

But VF2, Last Bronx, and DoA are nothing to scoff at, definitely.

jeremy1456

I remember playing the first Twisted Metal and thinking it was in the same generation as the SNES.

Then I played the n64 and it was a total generation ahead. The PS1 and Saturn, aside from the games that used pre-rendered backgrounds or were 2D always feel like a generation behind.

There were a few exceptions though. I couldn't get into 3D PS1 games because the environments warped.

Krejlooc

Banned
I think Saturn is overall the weakest of the bunch, though games like VF2 suggest that it isn't by a huge amount. I think that the Shenmue demo looks nice but is very choppy and has very small and focused scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if the PSX could handle it. Or something similar, maybe with lesser textures and better lighting or something.

But VF2, Last Bronx, and DoA are nothing to scoff at, definitely.

I've seen interviews with Yu Suzuki talking about the forest in the saturn version of shenmue (the one you see at the end of shenmue II) using the sound processor for generating individual trees and then the secondary processor for placing generated chunks of forest so that it was all procedurally generated and smooth and seemless without load times.

At the very least, segments like that wouldn't have been possible on the PSX. Shenmue sounded very custom made for the saturn, to utilize everything it had to the fullest. Shining Force III also did something similar with the sound processor to pre-load battle scenes so that attacks had no load times.

AM2 were very much masters of distributed computing. The saturn was designed with distributed processing in mind. Think of the saturn as a bunch of small processors running independently of each other, sharing a few busses. Most devs only concentrated on a few processors to do what they needed to do. AM2 was able to use them all in concert at the same time.

jWILL253

Banned
I think the PS1 and its games played better after the analog sticks began getting utilized.

Even the old RPG's played better...

Krejlooc

Banned
I think the PS1 and its games played better after the analog sticks began getting utilized.

Even the old RPG's played better...

I had a third party controller that mapped the analog stick to the d-pad in a secondary mode, and I used that to play all my games, even the ones without any analog movement. It just felt better to me.

Top Bottom