• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 vs. N64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phediuk

So I'm making this as a follow-up to the some of the posts in the N64 vs. Saturn thread, which perplexed me. There were a surprising number of people not only insisting that the N64 was superior to the Saturn, but also the far more dominant Playstation. There were even people saying that everyone they knew back then had an N64 but that no one had a Playstation (????). I was the under the impression, until now, that everyone agreed that the PS1 utterly curbstomped the rest of the 5th generation in terms of both quantity and breadth (around 1400 games in the US alone, ~2500 altogether). It spanned every genre, both casual and hardcore, children and adult, arcade and home, 2D and 3D, Western and Japanese, experimental and evolutionary, and it had virtually every top developer in the industry making games for it. Also, the games were much cheaper than on N64, especially once Greatest Hits were introduced, making it a no-brainer choice both in terms of game library and economics.

But, apparently there are people who disagree, and I hope to see their rationales so that I can understand a sentiment that admittedly baffled me in that other topic. So, GAF, I turn the question to you: which system do/dd you prefer? PS1 or N64?

N64 had some nice games, even some great one, but the ps1, well, was just an insane amount of gaming. Tons of classics, all fairly cheap compared to the N64 carts.

When I looked at my n64 owning friends, most had 6-7 games by the end of the gen. The ps1 friends were easily in the 20-30 games range by and large.

MercuryLS

Banned
N64 for me, I didn't start really liking PS systems till the PS2. I don't care for RPG's and many of the action titles for PS1 had weird ass controls (TR, RE) and horrid visuals (blocky, swimmy textures). The only PS1 titles that really stood out for me were Parappa The Rapper and MGS1.

N64 had Mario 64, Zelda's, SSB, and all those Rare games. No contest for me.

Edit: I should note that N64 games have aged worse due to the blurry visuals and terrible framerates. Many of those games give me motion sickness now. Frankly, I don't like this gen and I'm far more likely to go back and play 16-bit and PS2/Xbox/GC era games.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
One had Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros. and GoldenEye. The other didn't.

The N64 was basically held together by Rare.

Edit: I also was never big into Nintendo's move to 3D with Mario, Zelda and, I guess, Mario Kart because the 2D games were still more fun.

antitrop

The PlayStation 1, mostly on the strength of its JRPGs.

Graphically, I'll take Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross over everything on the N64, as well.

I grew up with both and enjoyed them almost equally. I can't help but look back more fondly on the N64 though. It provided me with some of the best multiplayer memories.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
PSX_VS_N64___Mortal_Kombat_4_by_Elias1986.png

JordanN

Banned
N64 had a lot of fun experiences but PS1 just takes the crown in general.

I remember I wanted a N64 as a kid but got a PS1 instead. After being exposed to the vast library, I don't know how you could survive as a N64 only.

Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Marvel vs Capcom, Crash, Spyro, Gran Turismo, Driver, Tomb Raider, Brave Fencer Musashi. Like damn, every genre was there and with high quality.

Not only that, but PS1 was the only console that had the most "balanced" hardware last gen. I never got to experience how cartridges limited a lot of games (i.e smaller textures, compressed audio) so gaming was very vanilla. However, the PS1 wasn't without its fault (i.e no texture filtering and the distorted polygon warping).

Loris146

PSX was amazing : tekken 3 , Gran Turismo 1-2 , Metal Gear Solid , Vagrant Story , FF VII and many others game... I still have it :)

Nothing really holds up on PS1, at least not the adventure games. Mario 64 and both Zeldas hold up a lot better than Crash or Tomb Raider or even MGS.

I owned the PS1, and I remember that I usually played multiplayer games on N64 at my friend's house.

I played single player PS1 games most of the time, though, to me the N64 was a waste of money, if my buddy did not have it, I wouldn't have cared much...

Ps1 had tons of games but N64 had Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario Party and Smash brothers to play with my school chums on a Friday evening, so it always won.

SHL23

Banned
N64 was for was for Goldeneye, MK64, and Mario Party with friends and family. That's it. Everything else was meh IMO.

PS1 was better overall

I was a nintendo boy yet think PS1 games have aged better. I recently played through Silent Hill and it was fine, the same can't be said about my attempt to replay goldeneye.

The only worthwhile N64 games that I can think of that aged ok are Mario 64, OoT and Majora's Mask.

N64.

There were more games I cared about on it (not a jrpg fan), and I think the graphics where better at the time, and hold up slightly better today.

Haunted

If you love jRPGs, I suppose there's an argument to be made for the PS1. N64 has more legend-level games, though.

Laieon

PS1 had better RPGs, N64 had better multiplayer and adventure games. Overall, I'd say that the N64 had a library that aged better as well. It's anecdotal, but every now and then I'll see someone who doesn't really play video games post about playing an N64 game on Facebook, I don't think I've ever seen someone post about the PS1. Judging by that, N64 seems to have a larger nostalgia factor too.

Hatchtag

Banned
I grew up more with the Gamecube, but the N64 really didn't have the best library. If it didn't have the first 3D Nintendo titles + Rare, it would have a very, very bad library. That said, the 3D Nintendo titles that are there are great, as are the Rare titles, and it still has the best Pokemon spin-off to date, Pokemon Snap.

Jamix012

I don't get the PS1, I've played so many of it's "classics" and only MGS 1 really stood out as a fantastic game to me. Mega Man Legends 1 was a great game too, but it was only a timed exclusive to the PS1, eventually coming to the N64 too. Truthfully, I do have yet to play Tomba though.
The N64 wins by a country mile for me. The Saturn also beats the PS1 IMO. The 3DO also just edges it out to me.
Never played Quest 64, and I'm assuming it sucks, but Final Fantasy 7 is literally my least favourite game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom