• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

KtSlime

Basically, Sony approached its downloadable PS2 games like Nintendo did with WiiWare.

Very scummy that it had to be found this way.

Sony removed BC for PS3 and then made the only way to play old games was through its own store or re-releases.

How is GAF not enraged?

People love making excuses for Sony.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I was enraged the whole time. I knew this was the case the whole time. Look at this whole fucking article I wrote to try to convince people the better world we should be living in when it comes to this shit:

http://bitmob.com/articles/sony-2012-the-road-not-taken

Nobody gives a shit. Nobody will even read this article.

I took my enraged dollars and quit buying shit on PSN and moved over to PC, preferrable through GOG to avoid DRM.

I dedicated myself to backing up my PC purchases to disk. I started looking for ways to purchase physical copies of games I had previously bought digitally.

I made a whole thread dedicated to the purpose:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451940&highlight=

So, you can find outrage out here, from individuals. But the masses? They are dumb fucking cattle who will put their money where the big companies tell them they ought to put their money. Most of them have already accepted a future in which all "purchases" come with EULAs and they have no consumer rights...

...or they have used equal apathy over the real issues as an excuse to just pirate whatever the fuck they want, so why be outraged?

This industry is just becoming too much of a pain in the ass. I'd just like to buy (not steal) some fucking games, and know that I can play them in the future.

But no. Paying customer gets a load of horshshit, while the pirates, modders, and homebrewers out there will now be enjoying a console WAY more functional than the one I got.

Fuck.

Game Guru

Worse than Nintendo, really.

Nintendo supported the previous disc-based system (Gamecube) for free. They re-sold classic games, but from platforms that were very old or not otherwise compatible.

Sony is the one who trumpeted "we see Playstation as a format" at the beginning of the 7th generation. Then after a year they removed BC for PS2, to start selling the games. The interesting part is it was originally supposed to be a cost-saving feature, since chipsets had to be removed. The last PS3's with BC still used only partial software emulation.

Now, as it turns out, Sony's software emulator is basically perfect, with a few glitches that I would assume could have been removed with testing aimed at adding compatibility for all games.

So yeah.

And at the very least, GameCube games required hardware to emulate. All Sony needs now is a disc drive that reads CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs.

It would've been a great bit of publicity for Sony to say when they ended the run of the PS2... "Yeah, we're killing the PS2, but guess what? You can now play your PS2 library on PS3. Enjoy!"

I was enraged the whole time. I knew this was the case the whole time. Look at this whole fucking article I wrote to try to convince people the better world we should be living in when it comes to this shit:

http://bitmob.com/articles/sony-2012-the-road-not-taken

I took my enraged dollars and quit buying shit on PSN and moved over to PC, preferrable through GOG to avoid DRM.

I dedicated myself to backing up my PC purchases to disk. I started looking for ways to purchase physical copies of games I had previously bought digitally.

So, you can find outrage out here, from individuals. But the masses? They are dumb fucking cattle who will put their money where the big companies tell them they ought to put their money. Most of them have already accepted a future in which all "purchases" come with EULAs and they have no consumer rights...

...or they have used equal apathy over the real issues as an excuse to just pirate whatever the fuck they want, so why be outraged?

This industry is just becoming too much of a pain in the ass. I'd just like to buy (not steal) some fucking games, and know that I can play them in the future.

But no. Paying customer gets a load of horshshit, while the pirates, modders, and homebrewers out there will now be enjoying a console WAY more functional than the one I got.

Fuck.

You have my axe!

Dwayne

Everyone harping on about how this is compatible with all games, and yet the compatibility list for it only lists 11 games over the list available on PSN, 2 of which have known glitches and the other may well have glitches too just later on in the game (like Persona 3 does). There's more than 1 reason why Sony hasn't released this to the public as PS2 disc play for PS3 guys.

squall211

Kinda off topic, but I've always been curious as to whether or not it is possible to take save games that you have on a ps2 memory card, and somehow transfer them onto your PC so that they can be read by the pcsx2 emulator. I'm guessing it's either not possible or a major hassle, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

DiscoJer

I wonder if it would be possible for companies that published PS2 games to sell isos of them, for use with emulators?

I'm guessing it won't happen. But I wonder if we will someday see retro-compilations, like you see for the 2600 or Intellivision, only with PS2 games?

I have probably 100 PS2 games, but there are so many I never got around to buying that I wouldn't mind playing (JRPGs)

I wonder if it would be possible for companies that published PS2 games to sell isos of them, for use with emulators?

I'm guessing it won't happen. But I wonder if we will someday see retro-compilations, like you see for the 2600 or Intellivision, only with PS2 games?

I have probably 100 PS2 games, but there are so many I never got around to buying that I wouldn't mind playing (JRPGs)

No. The games were compiled with Sony-copyrighted tools, use Sony-copyrighted encryption methods, Sony-copyrighted file formats, and were licensed to be sold through a Sony retail channel.

Everyone harping on about how this is compatible with all games, and yet the compatibility list for it only lists 11 games over the list available on PSN, 2 of which have known glitches and the other may well have glitches too just later on in the game (like Persona 3 does).
The OP lists "high compatibility."

Anyway, if this is true, then it's (slightly) less annoying.

Everyone harping on about how this is compatible with all games, and yet the compatibility list for it only lists 11 games over the list available on PSN, 2 of which have known glitches and the other may well have glitches too just later on in the game (like Persona 3 does). There's more than 1 reason why Sony hasn't released this to the public as PS2 disc play for PS3 guys.

Yeah, we're still at the stage where "confirmed working games" basically didn't immediately puke in the first 5 minutes to earn that designation. Get back to me when people have played all the way through ZoE2, MGS3 and FFXII without experiencing any glitches or performance issue before we all start lighting torches and wielding pitchforks.

androvsky

The OP lists "high compatibility."

Anyway, if this is true, then it's (slightly) less annoying.

The emulator has been cracked for about a day, very few people have the complicated tools set up to use it, and it's slow to switch out games. While I expect many games to not work, so far all the games chosen have run fine for at least a few minutes, and several of the games were picked due to their assumed difficulty to emulate on a PS3.

I'll admit it's a little early to get super worked up, but it's not looking good for Sony so far. Even if they were planning on releasing it say, this summer after Gamestop stops carrying PS2 games, they could have said something when they put up the PS2 Classics so people wouldn't erroneously double-dip.

Who knows, maybe a game journalist will feel like earning their salary and actually ask Sony what the deal is.
At which point Sony gives a non-answer, the journalist accepts it, and everything goes back to normal.

Has PCSX2 improved overnight or something because when I tried running FF12 it was for sure not locked at 60 fps and my specs seem better than yours.

30 hours into the game, locked 60 fps all day every day.
It dropped once (to 55fps) in the bazaar when I turned the camera to have 20 + npcs and the entire length of the bazaar onscreen. (this scene http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-184kbx9.png )
It has not budged from 60 fps otherwise (not a single time) and the cpu usage usually hovers between 50 and 70 percent , maybe peaks at 80 percent.

pcsxperformancesettin8cut6.png

Here's what I paid for this cpu when I ordered it in early 2009:
1 x AMD Phenom II Triple 720 Black edition (2.8 ghz, 7.5 mb, am3, 95 watt, boxed) (ADUHDZ720WFGIBOX) = 130,43 €

Anything with the word core2 or core i- in it since 2008 is faster than this....

Runs flawlessly for me with this entry level 4 year old gaming cpu, not sure what more you want me to say.
Btw you DO notice every single slight fps dip (when I tab out, when I take a screenshot) since the game logic slows down if the fps slows down so the sound gets distorted (which happened in the bazaar scene hence why I noticed it dropping to 55 fps), so no I'm not just 'not noticing', there are no framedrops full stop :p

It's been a while since I've used it but, last time I played FFXII on it the input lag was pretty darn bad. Actually, it was absolutely horrible on every PS2 game I've played on it. It just bothered me too much to keep playing. I'll stick with my Fat PS3 + HDTVX Boot Disk + sfpCRT for now.
CRT user? HIGH FIVE!
I too use a crt for my pc ;)
There is no discernable input lag here, then again I only use the emulator for rpgs and ICO (it's way easier to notice in action games or fps), so I might not notice if there is a slight bit of it (there certainly is FAR less of it than when I play games on my ps3 + lcd tv)
I can't fucking stand input lag:p
People in this thread just said the emulation on ps3 has an additional 40 ms of input lag so I guess you are mixing the two up.
I wouldn't know if the ps3's emulation is laggy as I have no interest in playing games at 512x488 (ps2 native res for ff12) and without anisotropic filtering, fuck that.

Hrm. I have an i3 and a radeon 6770 (16gb) ram and I got serious audio slowdown playing FF12 on PCSX2 using any uprendering.
Are you on a laptop perhaps? Maybe power saving mode is kicking in and downclocking your cpu.
If it runs on a core2duo it runs on an i3 :p
Your gpu might be a bottleneck if you supersample a lot (say 4x or 3x)
When is the last time you tried it?

As I said they have added really good gpu support about a year ago (maybe longer) and with the latest version the performance is REALLY good.

Does PCSX2 only work with the game discs or can it use ISOs? My iMac died recently and the only computer I have is a Windows 7 drawing tablet, which theoretically can run the emulation software but it doesn't have a DVD drive. I have a USB drive that I could use to rip my games, but I don't know if it's fast enough to play from the discs.

Ofcourse it takes isos, why wouldn't it.

edit; bonus shots (linking since the quote scaling on gaf shits on the image quality....)
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-21csu58.png

These 2 are at a weird resolution since I was playing windowed.
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-20t1ukr.png
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-20hjuyi.png

Odrion

Banned

Fuck.
Tell it like it is, angry man.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Are you sure? I've lost my adapter and I've been avoiding the PS2 classics I can't really check for myself.

... thing is, you keep mentioning the PS2 Virtual Memory Card. I thought PS2 Classics saved their data in a different section of the XMB. Those are exactly the instructions for copying over for use in a BC system.

I'm pretty sure since the save system is the same. If you want I could check the XMB to see what the memory card is stated as for you but I was able to move a Persona 3 save off the XMB to a PS2 memory card and back with the adapter since it's basically going through the XMB.

hirokazu

Now, as it turns out, Sony's software emulator is basically perfect, with a few glitches that I would assume could have been removed with testing aimed at adding compatibility for all games.

So yeah.

Can you back this up? I asked about compatibility during the early pages but there doesn't seem to be concrete evidence that emulation is "basically perfect." For example, I'd like to see the percentage of games tested so far with (near-)perfect emulation, minor bugs, major bugs, or are completely incompatible.

People seem to be harping at how good this emulator works with everything but I've yet to see a compatibility list.

Can you back this up? I asked about compatibility during the early pages but there doesn't seem to be concrete evidence that emulation is "basically perfect." For example, I'd like to see the percentage of games tested so far with (near-)perfect emulation, minor bugs, major bugs, or are completely incompatible.

People seem to be harping at how good this emulator works with everything but I've yet to see a compatibility list.

This is what I'd like to know as well.

Like I said on the previous page, it's been known for quite some time that they've had a full software emulator in the ps3's firmware, but the implication was that they didn't make it usable because a large number of games weren't fully compatible. I also thought it was testing and tweaking each game for the emulator that caused ps2 classics to take so long.

Remember, even the partial hardware/software BC solution only had like 85% full compatibility, and that never changed. I suspected the full software solution was under 70%.

And remember that they were even patenting external hardware based solutions to BC. They seemed willing to jump through many hoops to get BC working, which seems odd if they felt they could've gotten 100% support via software.

The news today fits perfectly in line with what I had already speculated about the state of BC in ps3, barring potentially improved compatibility.

So I got it running, awesome. But it defaults to full screen and I can't see the info on the game, fps, etc up top that i see in videos. How do I enable that?

So I got it running, awesome. But it defaults to full screen and I can't see the info on the game, fps, etc up top that i see in videos. How do I enable that?

I think you're referring to videos of PCSX2 (the PS2 emulator for the PC). You won't be seeing that stuff on the PS3, all you'll see is the game (as if you were playing it on a PS2).

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
That fucking scores it.

I'm buying another console to rip into and do whatever the hell I want with. And I'm buying it used.

onQ123

The emulator has been cracked for about a day, very few people have the complicated tools set up to use it, and it's slow to switch out games. While I expect many games to not work, so far all the games chosen have run fine for at least a few minutes, and several of the games were picked due to their assumed difficulty to emulate on a PS3.

I'll admit it's a little early to get super worked up, but it's not looking good for Sony so far. Even if they were planning on releasing it say, this summer after Gamestop stops carrying PS2 games, they could have said something when they put up the PS2 Classics so people wouldn't erroneously double-dip.

Who knows, maybe a game journalist will feel like earning their salary and actually ask Sony what the deal is.
At which point Sony gives a non-answer, the journalist accepts it, and everything goes back to normal.

Maybe it's the fact that the PS2 is cracked & they know people will use the same PS2 hack to run unsigned code on the PS3.

prwxv3

Havent bought any PS2 classics especially since I still have my PS2 lol.

I only bought games I never got like God Hard. I bought HD collections because they dont look like shit on my tv and have trophies. Its still pretty sleazy if Sony hade a perfect emulator and did not release it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why would anyone be surprised about this? It was obvious from day one that these were not ports, but emulator wrappers optimized on a per game basis. Just as with PSP, It was obvious that you'd be able to hack it and put in your own isos.

But I consider this an undesirable way to play PS2 games. Iffy emulation? Enh. Do not want. It was neat on the PSP, but that was due to the novelty of portability back in 2006. On a TV I'd much rather stick to real hardware, or a more capable PC emulator.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
makingmusic476 said:
I also thought it was testing and tweaking each game for the emulator that caused ps2 classics to take so long.
They've been taking less time with them than with PS1 classics when those started out. They require new licensing agreements, which can cause significant bottleneck in getting things out (and of course with HD classics, some titles will likely never make it).

BocoDragon said:
or a more capable PC emulator.
Given the state of PC emulation after all these years I'm not very hopeful there. Unless of course - you only want to play FF12.

prwxv3

I can see getting pissed off at the Ps2 classics because they are exactly the same as the Ps2 games but you have to pay for them again but not the HD collections (good ones anyway). They dont look like shit on HD Tvs, some have performance upgrades, and they have trophies.

Veezy

que?
Given the state of PC emulation after all these years I'm not very hopeful there. Unless of course - you only want to play FF12.

Plenty of action games run just fine with PC emulation. Better than fine, actually. Since 1.0.0 came out, PCSX2 has been nothing short of astonishing with making PS2 games play and look amazing on the PC.

Replicant

Was excited when I read the thread title until I realised that I have to:

* Instal CFW, which I can deal with except when I also have to:

* Rip my PS2 discs. I don't have the PC, time/effort/know-how, and HDD for that sort of thing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Yeah but it's gonna be better than the PS2 Classics emulator, which was only designed to play the games that are currently on sale on PSN, and certain others that run as an accidental byproduct of those.

You're gonna play through some 40 hour RPG that was never intended to run on this PS2 Classics emulator, and find out there was a game-breaking glitch near the end that makes it unplayable :p

For both PC emulators and PS2 Classics emulator, you're going to have to check a compatibility list before playing a game... but while the PC emulator list will be improved over time, games on the PS2 Classics emulator will only work by the grace of God (or rather Sony, and what games they have chosen to optimize it for).

All of this seems so much more of a hastle than just finding a PS2 slim for $20 :p

Funny my launch ps3 plays ps2 games great!

With 2 frames of lag.

Sorry to ruin it for you :p

I have one too, and I've since moved back to using a real PS2 (luckily I have an XRGB mini upscaler that does a better job than even the launch PS3 did!)

30 hours into the game, locked 60 fps all day every day.
It dropped once (to 55fps) in the bazaar when I turned the camera to have 20 + npcs and the entire length of the bazaar onscreen. (this scene http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-184kbx9.png )
It has not budged from 60 fps otherwise (not a single time) and the cpu usage usually hovers between 50 and 70 percent , maybe peaks at 80 percent.

Here's what I paid for this cpu when I ordered it in early 2009:
1 x AMD Phenom II Triple 720 Black edition (2.8 ghz, 7.5 mb, am3, 95 watt, boxed) (ADUHDZ720WFGIBOX) = 130,43 €

Anything with the word core2 or core i- in it since 2008 is faster than this....

Runs flawlessly for me with this entry level 4 year old gaming cpu, not sure what more you want me to say.
Btw you DO notice every single slight fps dip (when I tab out, when I take a screenshot) since the game logic slows down if the fps slows down so the sound gets distorted (which happened in the bazaar scene hence why I noticed it dropping to 55 fps), so no I'm not just 'not noticing', there are no framedrops full stop :p

CRT user? HIGH FIVE!
I too use a crt for my pc ;)
There is no discernable input lag here, then again I only use the emulator for rpgs and ICO (it's way easier to notice in action games or fps), so I might not notice if there is a slight bit of it (there certainly is FAR less of it than when I play games on my ps3 + lcd tv)
I can't fucking stand input lag:p
People in this thread just said the emulation on ps3 has an additional 40 ms of input lag so I guess you are mixing the two up.
I wouldn't know if the ps3's emulation is laggy as I have no interest in playing games at 512x488 (ps2 native res for ff12) and without anisotropic filtering, fuck that.

Are you on a laptop perhaps? Maybe power saving mode is kicking in and downclocking your cpu.
If it runs on a core2duo it runs on an i3 :p
Your gpu might be a bottleneck if you supersample a lot (say 4x or 3x)
When is the last time you tried it?

As I said they have added really good gpu support about a year ago (maybe longer) and with the latest version the performance is REALLY good.

Ofcourse it takes isos, why wouldn't it.

edit; bonus shots (linking since the quote scaling on gaf shits on the image quality....)

http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-21csu58.png

These 2 are at a weird resolution since I was playing windowed.
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-20t1ukr.png
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502013-03-20hjuyi.png

That's all nice and all, but not everyone has an emulation ready PC. People in this thread keep saying "Who cares! Just play PS2 on PCSX2!" and seem to be underestimating the hardware required.

I'm pretty peeved that Sony has the resources to give us all BC, but intentionally chooses not to.

Dragon

Banned
With 2 frames of lag.

Sorry to ruin it for you :p

I have one too, and I've since moved back to using a real PS2 (luckily I have an XRGB mini upscaler that does a better job than even the launch PS3 did!)

Not ruining it for me. Honestly I've only played rpgs. Never really was into fighting games or guitar hero.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
BocoDragon said:
All of this seems so much more of a hastle than just finding a PS2 slim for $20 :p
Oh I agree - neither emulation option is really worth the hassle at the moment.

Veezy said:
Plenty of action games run just fine with PC emulation.
People have varying definitions of fine - I've yet to find a game that runs without flaws on PCSX2(granted, I've not tried any FinalFantasy games) - virtually all have audio&performance problems(on an I7), and very few work without noticeable graphical anomalies (even in software mode, which is limited to PS2 rendering quality).
But then maybe I just have a low-treshold for glitches in games.

Dwayne

I'm pretty peeved that Sony has the resources to give us all BC, but intentionally chooses not to.

They haven't got all BC. Some games are successfully working 100% (so far) in the emulator. Others are not. So don't be pissed they didn't give you something that isn't up to standards.

They've been taking less time with them than with PS1 classics when those started out. They require new licensing agreements, which can cause significant bottleneck in getting things out (and of course with HD classics, some titles will likely never make it).

A lot of games run flawlessly now... There's some that don't (ZoE2 sadly still runs poorly) but many many do.

Even persona 4 runs really well now.

Maybe I've just been lucky, the games I've played on it ran great (without slowdown or broken sound)

Top Bottom