• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

bomblord1

Banned
My god, going from a FX6300 that couldn't OC at all, to a Skylake i5-6600k and oc'd to 4.2ghz (still playing with it), PCSX2 is a whole new world!!! Everything works nothing needed.

That's awesome. I'm a little wary of the advantage of the skylake cpus over previous gen Intel's since pcsx2 is so heavy on per core performance and these seem more focused on upping the core count

ss_lemonade

That's awesome. I'm a little wary of the advantage of the skylake cpus over previous gen Intel's since pcsx2 is so heavy on per core performance and these seem more focused on upping the core count
Aren't the new CPUs still mostly quad cores? Moving through sandy > ivy > haswell seems to give you pretty good improvements in emulation land so I would imagine skylake would perform better as well

Hi, I plan on getting a PC by the end of the year with AMD FX 8 core processor at 4.1 Ghz and AMD R7 260X with 8 GB of RAM do you think it will be alright emulation wise?.

I want to play Final Fantasy XII and Xenosaga.

ILoveBish

Hi, I plan on getting a PC by the end of the year with AMD FX 8 core processor at 4.1 Ghz and AMD R7 260X with 8 GB of RAM do you think it will be alright emulation wise?.

I want to play Final Fantasy XII and Xenosaga.

Do not go AMD if you want to do emulation. It can scrape by in some games, but its very poor overall performance wise. Go intel.

Do not go AMD if you want to do emulation. It can scrape by in some games, but its very poor overall performance wise. Go intel.

This so much. I'm on AMD and emulation is sporadic at best for the less popular titles. Really popular games have been optimized out the wazoo so your Final Fantasies and what not should run perfect on a toaster almost lol. Everything else is kinda a crapshoot with AMD sadly. Most things will work fine but if your like me and have that really random game you want to play... and it runs like ass simply because your AMD it hurts.

Roll intel if your hardup for some emulation, really wish I did lol.

koutoru

I have an AMD cpu and I have no problem emulateing any of the games I have running on PCSX2, granted they would probably run even better on Intel.

ILoveBish

This so much. I'm on AMD and emulation is sporadic at best for the less popular titles. Really popular games have been optimized out the wazoo so your Final Fantasies and what not should run perfect on a toaster almost lol. Everything else is kinda a crapshoot with AMD sadly. Most things will work fine but if your like me and have that really random game you want to play... and it runs like ass simply because your AMD it hurts.

I went from a FX6300 to a I5-6600k Skylake and the difference is insanity. PCSX2 is incredible for me now, runs so good. It just works. I also tested out the Angrylion N64 stuff for the retroarch devs and i got higher FPS then anyone else has with the skylake setup. Its really, really good for emulation.

bomblord1

Banned
http://pcsx2.net/271-july-august-2015-progress-report.html

Progress Report big news apparently OpenGL is now the most accurate backend.
GSdx was bumped to version 1.0. In the OpenGL backend this negated the need for many game specific hacks. The hacks are still present however, as they are still needed for the Direct3D backends. Once someone ports some of the new changes over to Direct3D they will be able to be removed entirely. The hacks in question skip many different types of effects that were broken until Gregory worked his magic – things like fog, shadows, special shading, brightness, coloring and so on. With the new accurate options, not only are those hacks no longer needed but the effects in question now render correctly.

Blending unit accuracy options by ssakash & Gregory

With the added accurate options in the OpenGL renderer, we had to group and clarify them in the GUI. A new dropdown was added with 6 accurate blending options from None to Ultra (note that Full and Ultra have insane CPU requirements!), so our users can choose which to use depending on the game and the power of their PCs

I went from a FX6300 to a I5-6600k Skylake and the difference is insanity. PCSX2 is incredible for me now, runs so good. It just works. I also tested out the Angrylion N64 stuff for the retroarch devs and i got higher FPS then anyone else has with the skylake setup. Its really, really good for emulation.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll go Intel.

tbd

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Is there ANY way to fix this? Google gives me nothing. All I know is that I'm not the only one since I see that texture flickering in all the Youtube videos.

It's such a shame.

MGS3 fix. :eek:

How do we make it look like this? Is the fix not out yet? New to PCSX2 and those links just confuse me.

bomblord1

Banned
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Is there ANY way to fix this? Google gives me nothing. All I know is that I'm not the only one since I see that texture flickering in all the Youtube videos.

It's such a shame.

How do we make it look like this? Is the fix not out yet? New to PCSX2 and those links just confuse me.

Most PCSX2 games I play have that flickering. I've found no fix. You can try updating to the latest dev build and using the new OpenGL backend that's supposed to be more accurate now.

KainXVIII

Tried to play Echo Night: Beyond with new OpenGL plugin, now it have correct texture rendering but heavy interlacing is distracting (non of deinterlacing modes is working)

tbd

Guess I just stop playing Okami until there is a fix for that texture glitch. Not ruining my favourite game like this. Not like this.

carda114

Hey folks, encountering some weird shadow bugs while trying to emulate FFXII IZJS, and when I tried to fix them I made the problem even worse, it seems.

Here's an example of what I mean.

eGN3xdq.jpg

Not only that, but now they've got these strange repeating lines running through what I assume are meant to be shadows or lighting effects.

What my current settings and the like are:

PCSX2 1.2.1 r5873

EE Cyclerate: 2
VU Cycle Stealing: 0
INTC Spin Detection enabled
Wait Loop Detection enabled
mVU Flag Hack enabled
MTVU enabled

Automatic game fixes enabled

GSDX 0.1.16
Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: none
3x Native scaling
Texture filtering enabled
HW Hacks enabled
MSAA 4x
Skipdraw: 1
Alpha checked
Half-pixel Offset checked

EDIT: forgot to mention PC specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core i7 4770k @ 3.50GHz
16GB DDR3 @ 666MHz RAM
2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

What? you can now play snake eater with all the post process effects on and hardware mode?

Can someone confirm this?

Yes but only with the OpenGL renderer, if you are using AMD the performance won't be great, with Nvidia I think is around the same as DX11.

No. As displayed above the problem with the jungle ground texture is fixed, but other unrelated stuff is still missing. Examples right from the beginning of the game:

Software
pcsx22015-08-2113-17-tgse2.jpg

Hardware
pcsx22015-08-2113-17-q3shl.jpg

Software
pcsx22015-08-2113-20-42s4a.jpg

Hardware
pcsx22015-08-2113-20-5zsx9.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
Hey folks, encountering some weird shadow bugs while trying to emulate FFXII IZJS, and when I tried to fix them I made the problem even worse, it seems.

eGN3xdq.jpg

Not only that, but now they've got these strange repeating lines running through what I assume are meant to be shadows or lighting effects.

PCSX2 1.2.1 r5873

mVU Flag Hack enabled
MTVU enabled

GSDX 0.1.16
Direct3D11 (Hardware)
3x Native scaling
HW Hacks enabled
MSAA 4x
Alpha checked

16GB DDR3 @ 666MHz RAM

You have Hardware Hacks enabled. Why is Alpha and Half-Pixel offset checked?
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Final_Fantasy_XII

FFXII is one of the few games that doesn't really need special settings in order to work.

Set Interlacing to auto, uncheck hardware hacks, change EE cyclerate back to 0 you don't need it for your CPU.

Xenus

eGN3xdq.jpg

PCSX2 1.2.1 r5873

mVU Flag Hack enabled
MTVU enabled

GSDX 0.1.16
Direct3D11 (Hardware)
3x Native scaling
HW Hacks enabled
MSAA 4x
Alpha checked

16GB DDR3 @ 666MHz RAM

I'm 90% sure that is a bug coming from Forcing MSAA as it caused issues in FF XII for me. I'd just turn up the internal resolution higher and turn off MSAA

AgeEighty

Tried the OpenGL renderer with Dragon Quest VIII, and it ran more smoothly than DX10, but it introduced some bad flickering texture issues on the floors and walls. Had to switch back for now.

Does anyone play Curse of Darkness on this emulator?

I tried, but the game is very buggy.
I'm a noob when it comes to emulation, please help.

I've played about a dozen hours of CoD on it. it was buggy, but did you find the compatibility information on it? it helped with a lot of the cpu and speed issues and the game runs fine for me now. google the compatibility settings and the version of pscx2 that works best for CoD.

bomblord1

Banned
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Dup
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

It runs but very slowly. Like 10 FPS.

Yea, that's not going to work you'll definitely need to upgrade. You might be able to get by with some easy to run 2-D games after pumping the cycle stealing all the way up but even then it's honestly a tossup.

tbd

Most PCSX2 games I play have that flickering. I've found no fix. You can try updating to the latest dev build and using the new OpenGL backend that's supposed to be more accurate now.

Just tested. Doesn't fix it at all.

It's weird how no one cares about it or even notices it (my impression). It's terrible. So far I only noticed it in MGS2 and Okami, though. It's not that bad in MGS2.

h0tp0ck3t

Has anyone been able to fix this problem in Forbidden Siren 2 when running in Hardware mode above Native Resolution? Was really hoping the new build would have a way but after messing around with it for an hour it doesn't seem like it.
The sprite options under hardware hacks fixed similar problems I had in .hack and Ar Tonelico but this doesn't seem to be the case here

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
No. As displayed above the problem with the jungle ground texture is fixed, but other unrelated stuff is still missing. Examples right from the beginning of the game:
I prefer the non bloomy version. :p

However, the second image comparison would be nice to have resolved.

Has anyone been able to fix this problem in Forbidden Siren 2 when running in Hardware mode above Native Resolution? Was really hoping the new build would have a way but after messing around with it for an hour it doesn't seem like it.
The sprite options under hardware hacks fixed similar problems I had in .hack and Ar Tonelico but this doesn't seem to be the case here
So you're using OpenGL?

bomblord1

Banned

Yea there is a hack under hacks implemented a while back to fix that. Can't remember the name but the tooltip says it fixes vertical black lines.

h0tp0ck3t

Yea there is a hack under hacks implemented a while back to fix that. Can't remember the name but the tooltip says it fixes vertical black lines.
There's an option sprite alignment hack which says fixes black vertical lines caused by up scaling (which seems to be this exact problem) but it doesn't help

So you're using OpenGL?

OpenGL(Hardware) is the option I have selected

Also I'm using version 1.3.1 if that's the correct one.

bomblord1

Banned
There's an option sprite alignment hack which says fixes black vertical lines caused by up scaling (which seems to be this exact problem) but it doesn't help

OpenGL(Hardware) is the option I have selected

You do have the "hacks" button checked under graphics options right? Try the direct x backend

ElTopo

Banned
Tried Shinobi, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus with the Direct3D11 plugin. Pretty much 100% playable at a 60FPS frame rate. Very minor graphical issues.

carda114

Thanks to those folks who provided advice regarding the shadows and lighting issues I ran into in FFXII. Game looks great. FYI, I turned off HW Hacks completely and went with 6x upscaling instead.

bigace33

I have a decent mid tier system, but can't seem to run NBA Street vol 1 at all. It actually runs worse on my upgraded system. The game is in super slow motion outside of the menus. Has anyone gotten it to run well at all?

My system specs:

i5 4460 3.2 ghz
z97 motherboard
3 tb hdd
GTX 770 4gb

Top Bottom