• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games are 75% off at Gamestop

IrishNinja

should this have been a PSA? GAF loves PSA's

i missed out on most of the good stuff at this time last year when GS dropped Gamecube & GBA games to this price, thought i'd let everyone know that PS2 games are dirt cheap & on their way out the door at most spots around here. You're almost always looking at loose discs in cheap yellow paper sleeves, but you can always just get empty DVD cases & grab covers from here.

in the last few days, i picked up Silent Hill 2 & 3, Gitaroo Man, Fatal Frame, SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Onimusha 1-4, SF Alpha Anthology, Timesplitters, and probably a few dozen other titles, many of which cost a dollar or less. Heads-up though: YMMV as some stores were super helpful & either printed a list of what they had or simply took out each row to let me look through them, while others were in the process of shipping them to select stores & only let me grab the ones i'd determined they had from using the website, which i'd recommend doing for specific titles you're after.

None of the PS2 games i saw were on shelves. they're in the drawers behind the registers, very often in paper sleeves/without cases. you have to ask to see them, or get them to find a specific title you saw they had in stock by searching the website.

I passed on all kinds've stuff that I already had: SMT Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, P4, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Fatal Frame III, SOTC, FF X-2, etc and don't know if I'll be running around again, but if anyone has a title or two they can't find, why not ask your fellow gaffers to see if they can? Post your want lists! Mine's down to:

Stretch Panic (it should be like a quarter )
Cookie & Cream
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
PaRappa 2
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
Punisher
Def Jam Vendetta
Haunting Ground
Drakengard 1/2
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
Way of the Samurai 2
Victorious Boxers 1-2
Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
Ultimate Spider-Man
Silent Hill Origins
GunGrave
Gradius III & IV
Alien Hominid

IrishNinja

I think my local Gamestop dropped PS2 games a year ago :/

damn. you sure? you can check from the website...and yeah most places now keep them in the drawers behind the register, from what ive seen. they're totally not on shelves, i keep seeing Wii on the ones they were on last year.

Too bad the ones at my locak gamestop got rid of the cases and out them in ugly yellow sleeves

yeah, i found very few boxed copies...most of the ones i did had manuals though!

Daouzin

Jesus, after Steam Sales, now I got this, I'll be driving around Game Stops tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
None of the Gamestops near me (though they're still called EB Games here) have had PS2 games in years. It's very disappointing. They'd actually get quite a bit of business from me if they had a lot of older games at reasonable prices.

My Gamestop stopped carrying PS2 games a while ago. They replaced the used PS2 rack with used PS3 games.

I'm glad there's another game store close by that sells old games, but too bad they aren't GS and will be 75% off.

GulAtiCa

I think my GameStop still sells PS2 games, but last time I checked, they were generally uninteresting (well to me anyways) and most sport games or casual family games. Never really saw anything interesting.

Jawmuncher

Depends on your gamestop most near me got rid of cases for ps2 games. Even those that were higher in price. Still definitely a good deal to grab Megaten and silent hill games.

IrishNinja

i should've put this in the OP: None of the PS2 games i saw were on shelves. they're in the drawers behind the registers, very often in paper sleeves/without cases. you have to ask to see them, or get them to find a specific title you saw they had in stock by searching the website.

According to the tracker, I have to travel to get Suikoden 3 and 4 for PS2, But if I must, I must.

just grabbed those earlier this year when i thought they were getting scarce...now they're a way better price, go for it man!

Mzo

All the places around here are disc only behind the counter.

Those might as well go in the trash.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
that means VF4EVO costs $0.25. that's like one gumball. if you like fightans or want to get into them, it's one of the best.

damn. you sure? you can check from the website...and yeah most places now keep them in the drawers behind the register, from what ive seen. they're totally not on shelves, i keep seeing Wii on the ones they were on last year.

yeah, i found very few boxed copies...most of the ones i did had manuals though!

Wtf kind of strategy is that. I went to a gamestop two weeks ago and assumed they no longer carry ps2

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I don't even have a functional PS2 but goddamn if I'm not going to stockpile this stuff. Never too late to build the shelf

IrishNinja

Wtf kind of strategy is that. I went to a gamestop two weeks ago and assumed they no longer carry ps2

i honestly have no idea; GC last year at least got either shelves or those little rows/boxes up by the register that you can thumb through. now i only see DS games there, while a metric fuckton of PS2's are sometimes right beneath the glass cabinets full of desirables.

speaking of, when hunting GC stuff last spring i remember this one down south that had like hundreds of PS2 titles, im hitting them up next weekend for sure.

shaowebb

SHMUP AND FIGHTING GAME LIST I NEED

King of Fighters 00/01
King of Fighters 02/03
Metal Slug Anthology
Metal Slug 4/5
Dragon Blaze (if you can find it. English is RARE...heck the Psikyo shooting collection from japan is rare!)
Gradius V
PSYVARIAR 2
PSYVARIAR COMPLETE EDITION

MVC2 for some folks would also be smart since its so hard to afford usually.

Teknoman

My list:

Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms Alter Code F
Xenosaga 3
Gitarooman
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Mark of Kri
Clock Tower 3
Rise to Honor
Radiata Stories
Ape Escape 2
Odin Sphere
SMT Devil Summoner 1 and 2 (Raidou) series
Raiden 3
Dawn of Mana
Grandia Xtreme
Grandia III
Blood will tell
Mega Man X 8

I'll be on the look out for any games mentioned in this thread. Of course if needed, i'll pay whatever you paid + shipping if necessary for any of the games on my list.

Baliis

Picked up several PS2 games a while ago to round out my RPG collection. One store near me surprisingly had a ton of stuff and a whole shelf dedicated to them (games in cases) as well as a whole set of games in just the yellow slips. They still had tons of copies of Persona 3 FES and Persona 4, Devil Summoner 2, the first two Xenosaga games, and some other stuff. Was a nice find.

amnesiac

I tried to score some PS2 games a couple months ago. The tracker said 3 stores near me had them, but when I went to them, they said they stopped carrying them.

Ultratech

Most of the ones near me still have some of the games in cases.

But the majority of them are in those yellow sleeves.

Might have to poke around and see if there's anything good.

Speaking of GC games though; they're getting harder and harder to find in GS stores.

Usually what little I see of them is usually regulated to a pretty small section.

Sgblues

Yeah last year June, I went to the gamestop near me and asked if they had any ps2 games and the lady just snorted at me.

Picked up ZOE: The 2nd Runner and Grandia Xtreme. Looking to grab Grandia III but I probably won't have much luck with that. 2nd Runner is quite a catch though, and it's in pretty good condition.

Baliis

I haven't seen PS2 games at gamestop for a while. This sale doesn't apply online?

They may still be doing buy 2 get 2 online, I'm not sure, but the selection online is pretty slim now, for RPGs anyways, haven't looked too much at other genres.

Most of my stores are totally gutted, but I still looked to see if any of them had Wizardry or Culdcept.

I would totally jump on this if I didn't already have most of the games I want on the system.

IrishNinja

Cant wait to go buy those 20 copies of boogie my local gamestop has.

haha, shame ya'll aren't bigger DDR/Guitar Hero fans, i'dve had you covered

I tried to score some PS2 games a couple months ago. The tracker said 3 stores near me had them, but when I went to them, they said they stopped carrying them.

this happens..i tried calling ahead but most of the people i got barely wanted to sift through and look, it works better early in the morning while the store's dead i found. another thing you can do is attempt to have the game held, also an option online - they should email you back one way or another within a day or two.

I haven't seen PS2 games at gamestop for a while. This sale doesn't apply online?

yeah, as tekno said, it's something you only see reflected at the register. the price you see on the sleeves/boxes is pre-discount, so if the tag says something like $2 like numerous ones i saw doin good!

Ibuki

Banned
I ended up getting Digital Devil Saga I complete in box for like 4 dollars. I already had the second one, it was quite a steal.

Teknoman

People need to jump on Eternal Poison if only for the soundtrack.

Always wanted the game, and snagged it along with others listed in the PS2 appreciation thread. Got both discs but no case.

EDIT: May as well post here -

Others I snagged that'll probably be up for trade or just to send if wanted:

Sakura Wars (great concept, not sure I like the soundtrack. Has both english and japanese discs, original case)
Obscure (One survival horror I havent tried, so who knows?)
Manhunt 2

IrishNinja

I gotta admit, the recent "Is PS2 retro yet?" discussion is pretty interesting in light of this liquidation, heh. it'll still have discs about long after xbox & GC though

People need to jump on Eternal Poison if only for the soundtrack.

Always wanted the game, and snagged it along with others listed in the PS2 appreciation thread. Got both discs but no case.

oh man, i totally grabbed that one & forgot! same as you, disc + OST with no case. no idea if it's any good, figured i'd donate it if not

lemme know your thoughts on Sakura Wars & Obscure, was curious about both

Exactly. My friend works at the local GS in my town and he was pretty happy to tell me they stopped carrying "old ass PS2 games".

i edited the OP - again make sure you guys aren't just checking the shelves; the ones that do stock PS2 don't have them on display.

Hedge

I wish I could find an Odinsphere and Persona 4 copy. Too bad I haven't seen a PS2 game in ages anywhere.

Baliis

*_*

It's your civic GAF duty to note the other stuff. Also...if you could grab another Devil Summoner 2, i'd be eternally grateful.

That was more in reference to P3FES and P4, I probably saw like 5 of each of those. I know they had at least one Devil Summoner 2 though since I kinda glanced at it but passed over it as I'd just purchased a copy from a gaffer. Looking online though, they appear to be out of stock now though.

I'm thinking about driving an hour to get some games.....
AU7Amsc.gif
wtzgU.gif

Teknoman

Will do, and yeah on the Eternal Poison OST:

Track 13, 19, 21, 22, 23,24, and 25 are stand outs in particular. The entire soundtrack OST disc is top notch to be honest though.

Also grats on Gitaroo Man. The first time I played the demo against Mojo King Bee, instabought. I've got the PSP version atm, but PS2 version might perform better.

OP how'd you find out that PS2 games are 75% off? Are you sure it's not just your store? I don't even see this on CAG lol

A gamestop that's 10-15 minutes away has Persona 4...could get it for $7.50 o_o

IrishNinja

OP how'd you find out that PS2 games are 75% off? Are you sure it's not just your store? I don't even see this on CAG lol

A gamestop that's 10-15 minutes away has Persona 4...could get it for $7.50 o_o

i believe it was Teknoman that brought it up in the PS2 thread, and ive been to about 6 Gamestops so far that all rang them up with that discount! surprised CAG isn't on it yet, someone should make a thread there to let em know

Top Bottom