• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games on PS3: Shortened load times?!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Haven't read anything about this yet, nor have I noticed this on all the games, so here goes:

I picked up the Japanese Soul Calibur III this evening (it runs fully in English, too!), and noticed that the load times seemed to be quicker. I couldn't even get a character to say his/her taunt on the match-up screen, as the game would go right into the battle before they could speak, making load times around 1-3 seconds total.

Then it hit me to try the notoriously long-load time title, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum. Amazingly enough, the load times DO get shortened! Instead of taking between 13-19 seconds to load up a match, the game only takes about 4-6 seconds to load up a stage now, and 1-2 seconds to load up the next set of opponents on the same stage in arcade mode. This is awesome. :D

Anyone tried and noticed any other faster-loading games yet?

Avalon

Nice. I had a feeling it would have quicker load times. I wonder if the PS3 hardware gets rid of frame-rate drops as well?

I recall the PS2/PC emulators "emulated" frame-rate drops in PS1 titles.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Most likely due to the faster DVD read speed. :)
This is good stuff though, PS2 did something similar to PS1 games IIRC.

cast.jpg

"You mean I can finally play Stuntman?"

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
RavenFox said:
Wow thats great to hear. Cant wait to play GT4 on this badboy.
me too. ;)

Lyte Edge, try out some grand theft auto for us. :)
I wonder how it compares to hdloader.

john tv

Hmm, really? This might make Tales of the Abyss's loading actually tolerable. I'll give it a try next week when I get the US PS3.

Thanks!

Udde

Some PSX games had problems with the "faster reading" setting in the PS2 BC, mostly FMV and music AFAIK.

So, some of the PS3 BC issues with certain games could be because of that feature being enabled by default... :p

Avalon

Udde said:
Some PSX games had problems with the "faster reading" setting in the PS2 BC, mostly FMV and music AFAIK.

So, some of the PS3 BC issues with certain games could be because of that feature being enabled by default... :p

Now that you mention it, a lot of the issues were FMV and sound related. :lol

adg1034

See how SotC works. Man, if that game could get rid of the framerate drops...

Wait. Actually, how would that work, since the PS2 hardware is built in to the system? Hmmmm....

Lyte Edge

Bad_Boy said:
me too. ;)

Lyte Edge, try out some grand theft auto for us. :)
I wonder how it compares to hdloader.

If HDloader eliminates load times, I doubt the PS3 is better, but this a hell of a lot more convenient!

Can't try out GTA as I don't own any of the PS2 version anymore, nor do I have them in Japanese anyway.

john tv said:
Hmm, really? This might make Tales of the Abyss's loading actually tolerable. I'll give it a try next week when I get the US PS3.

Thanks!

Sure, but don't get your hopes up. :) On some games I've tried, I didn't notice a difference.

Udde said:

Yeah, I remember that very well. Some games also wouldn't load up at all if you enabled faster loading.

I had no idea this would happen with the PS3, however, since I don't recall anyone saying it loaded some games faster.

And no way to turn it off right now, correct?

adg1034 said:
See how SotC works. Man, if that game could get rid of the framerate drops...

Wait. Actually, how would that work, since the PS2 hardware is built in to the system? Hmmmm....
They could have overclocked the EE+GS :lol :lol :lol

Lyte Edge

I've barely played this game, so I don't know: Does Earth Defense Force 2 usually take 1-2 seconds to load stages?

Also tried SS Tenka, KOF XI, and Melty Blood, but didn't notice a difference in the load times. Those games load quick enough anyway, though. Rumble Roses (still looks somewhat impressive despite the Xbox 360 version stomping all over it) seemed to load matches a few seconds quicker.

And I'm pretty sure I saw the same frame rate drops in SCIII, so I don't think it's gone. Plus EDF2 is still 100% choppy!

good news.

now, can it upscale them into progressive modes?

if so i'll be buying killer 7 ps2 when i buy a ps3 :)

load times were the bitch on the ps2 version... and my modded cube makes it 480p.

Lyte Edge

KOF Maximum Impact 2 is also a few seconds quicker. Same deal as SCIII, too, where it loads quick enough to cut off the voices on the versus screen right as the match loads up.

The Rumblefish loads matches in about a second...going from the main menu to the select screen takes the same same amount of time as PS2 I don't believe match loads were that quick on PS2, but I'm probably going to have to load these games up on PS2 to be absolutely sure.

Virtua Fighter 4 Evo = 2-4 seconds

plagiarize said:
good news.

now, can it upscale them into progressive modes?

It doesn't...right? Maybe it's just been a while since I've played some of these games, but colors look more vibrant and the image looks sharper than I remember on my PS2. (playing with the PS3 in 480p)

EDIT: Hmm...on my TV, 480p = 525p. Every PS2 game I've loaded up STILL says "525p" when the system switches to PS2 mode. Interesting...

Raistlin

If the drive speed is the main cause of BC issues ...

... I would think Sony might be able to make a firmware update that allows you to run the drive at a lower speed?

Ryu1999

Lyte Edge said:
It doesn't...right? Maybe it's just been a while since I've played some of these games, but colors look more vibrant and the image looks sharper than I remember on my PS2. (playing with the PS3 in 480p)

EDIT: Hmm...on my TV, 480p = 525p. Every PS2 game I've loaded up STILL says "525p" when the system switches to PS2 mode. Interesting...

This sounds awesome, but it doesn't jive with what was said in another thread where someone said it was 480i only unless enabled in-game. Hopefully you're right.

Argyle

Onix said:
If the drive speed is the main cause of BC issues ...

... I would think Sony might be able to make a firmware update that allows you to run the drive at a lower speed?

My guess for most of the BC issues would be that they are probably emulating the IOP (and possibly the sound chip) with CELL and it's not 100% compatible yet...If the problems really are IOP emulation I'd guess they could easily get cleared up with future firmware updates.

As an aside, I remember hearing that they switched processors for the IOP on the most recent slim PS2s and things mostly work (some games have issues)...I would imagine people would be satisfied if they got things to at least that level of compatibility.

Sai

Ryu1999 said:
This sounds awesome, but it doesn't jive with what was said in another thread where someone said it was 480i only unless enabled in-game.
Bunch of conflicting reports on this matter. I don't know who to trust. :/

I just want to run ZoE2 and FFXII in progressive.

Play some friggin Stuntman please.

No other game this gen was as ruined for me by long-ass load times then Stuntman was. Great game, shoddy loads.

Thank you for your time.

Lyte Edge

Sai said:
Bunch of conflicting reports on this matter. I don't know who to trust. :/

Do you want a picture of my TV showing 525p? :p

Fatghost said:
Lyte Edge, how do you have your PS3 hooked up to your TV? HDMI or Component?

D-Terminal, which is the same as Component, I believe.

MoxManiac said:
Hey lyte, do you still own samurai warriors 2? try that. or any warriors game

Nope, sorry, I have SW2 on 360. Only game like that I have on PS2 is Sengoku Basara 2.

Bebpo

Banned
OH MY GOD YES

RYU GA GOTOKU 2 WILL BE AWEEEEESOOOMMMEEEEEE (without long loads before battles)!!!!!!

RGG2 = GOTY CONFIRMED!!!!

Hell, I almost more excited tackling my massive PS2 backlog with the PS3 than just the PS3 games, especially with that HDD for all my overly obsessive saving needs. Seriously I save like it's the end of the word especially for RPG...but this is faster loading is icing on the cake.

Yakuza with faster loading....fantastic.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Lyte Edge said:
Do you want a picture of my TV showing 525p? :p

D-Terminal, which is the same as Component, I believe.

Nope, sorry, I have SW2 on 360. Only game like that I have on PS2 is Sengoku Basara 2.

Anyway, this is awesome...PS2 with improved loading and progressive output :D

Lyte Edge

Sai, Imageshack isn't loading for me right now. I'll try tomorrow; it's 2:15am here already! o_O I managed to get a blurry, but recognizable (it says "component" in katakana clearly enough, but the 525p is blurry) pic. I'll try taking a better one tomorrow.

Bebpo said:
OH MY GOD YES

RYU GA GOTOKU 2 WILL BE AWEEEEESOOOMMMEEEEEE (without long loads before battles)!!!!!!

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Hell, I almost more excited tackling my massive PS2 backlog with the PS3 than just the PS3 games, especially with that HDD for all my overly obsessive saving needs. Seriously I save like it's the end of the word especially for RPG...but this is faster loading is icing on the cake.

Yakuza with faster loading....fantastic.

You guys shouldn't be hyping yourselves up like this, since the faster loading only seems to happen on some games. Wait and see what Yakuza is like when you get your PS3s.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
almost too good to be true.. but it makes sense if you think about it.

hopefully in the future there'll be a way to get the games running really smooth and framerate stuff be eliminated

Bebpo

Banned
For what it's worth I tried Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) and honestly didn't notice a difference in load times. Maybe they were 1-2 seconds shorter but it wasn't a big difference. :\

klee123

Bebpo said:
OH MY GOD YES

Well, from what I've seen of videos, the loading times for Ryu Ga gotoku 2 are much shorter anyways. I remembered it took like 3 seconds to go from cutscene to battle. That's a huge improvement over the first.

EctoPrime

I'd like to see what happens with Star Ocean 3, not just the loadtimes but if the game saves faster with those battle trophies.

Teppic said:
Hope it works for Suikoden V.
Suikoden V, I'd say the loading was about the same.

Strangely, some games seem to load quicker, while others remain unchanged (from what I tested). All my Namco fighters loaded faster (especially Soul Calibur II, which loads about the same as Xbox/GC running on PS3). I also found Tales of the Abyss to load quicker.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Maybe the difference depends on whether or not loading is just data retrieving or data decompression too.

marwan

Banned
whats the point of quicker load times when PS2 interlaced games look like ass on the PS3? :( where is the darn update sony? only 480p PS2 games look perfect.

anyways, regarding faster loading, this s interesting, and im going to try Stunt Man on the PS3 since it has the longest and worst load times on the ps2.

marwan said:
whats the point of quicker load times when PS2 interlaced games look like ass on the PS3? :( where is the darn update sony? only 480p PS2 games look perfect.

anyways, regarding faster loading, this s interesting, and im going to try Stunt Man on the PS3 since it has the longest and worst load times on the ps2.
I've only had problems with the way a few games look, but I'll admit, if my entire PS2 collection looked just as good on PS3, I'd stop playing my PS2 all together, because playing PS2 games on PS3 is so much easier and less hassle (like switching memory cards on the fly, quitting games pressing the PS button, etc.).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
HyperZone<3 said:
Play some friggin Stuntman please.

No other game this gen was as ruined for me by long-ass load times then Stuntman was. Great game, shoddy loads.

Thank you for your time.
Was about to post something similar after reading the initial reference to Stuntman. I loved the game but didnt play it for more than an hour because of the load times. Shocking and such a shame.

Top Bottom