• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2-GC Controller Adaptor Questions...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hey folks -- I recently purchased a PS2 RetroCon controller to use with my GameCube... however, when plugged into my Wal-Mart "e" PS2-GC convertor, all I get are countless messages from my GC that "no controller is plugged into slot 1".

Has anyone tried a RetroCon on the GC and had success with ANY sort of PS2-GC adaptor? Does anyone know much about PS2-GC adaptors? I'm assuming that it's some sort of odd problem with the adaptor and the controller... it's supposed to be sending some sort of "live" signal to the GC, but isn't. The controller works fine for brief moments, but I have to constantly press START to get it to be recognized. A few games display no warning, but they constantly cycle between working and not working... the system is rapidly switching between accepting and denying the controller.

hori-digital-controller-black.jpg

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=75&products_id=2467&

Drexon

Banned
Sound like a construction error in the adaptor. It has to be a close curcuit, somewhere along the line, for the GC to notice that there's a controller plugged in, seems that your adaptor is failing at this. Return it.

DDayton

I have two Hori pads already. I want the RetroCon because it has joysticks as well, and can thus be used for -any- game. Hori pads are good for some games, and the RetroCon would be good for others.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I just got a RetroCon and it only works w/ the PS2 unfortunately. Doesn't even work w/ a PC...

PS2-GC adaptors are just all over the place. The best one I've ever found is no longer made unfortunately. If you can somehow find it, snag a Nyko adaptor. It's what I had to do to get a Hori stick recognized on the GC.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^
IAWTP

There are two versions of it though. I have the OG ones... Several in fact. I forgot how the other one looked...

I've got four Nyko PS2 = GC adaptors if you're in the market for one.

Just don't expect much in the way of a functional multiplayer experience with them. That is the most horrible oversight in a peripheral review ever. :X

DDayton

So the Nyco convertor worked with a Hori stick that, otherwise, refused to work? Yet the RetroCon won't work on a PC via adaptor.

Drat. I might have to take my chances on the Nyko adaptor... although is there any chance that anyone has tried a RetroCon w/ the Nyko adaptor?

Really, why is it that MadCatz releases junk for every system, but didn't bother with a RetroCon with the GC? Heck, I'd expect the market for it to be biggest there...

Again, if you want. I'll unload these on you.

Marty, is there any physical difference between the two Nyko models?

The adapters I have are a sort of bell shape, by way of my descriptive abilities failing me.

DDayton

Well, I found my old "Bell" shaped Nyko PS2-GC adaptor...

When I use it with this adaptor, the controller IS recognized, and I can play... however, I think my Nyko adaptor has been broken. Whether I use a standard PS2 controller or this RetroCon, it acts as though D+R are permanently depressed, along with a few other buttons.

Take Out, I might want one of those adaptors afterall. Heh.

Top Bottom