• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 wont read CD games only DVD.

Oni Jazar

I never really had any CD games unil I got Frequency recently. The drive makes this awful noise as it tries to read the disc then fails. Anyone ever had this problem and know how to fix it?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Call Sony.
Yep, I know its old Mantra, however if you call them, be a nice person, answer their questions as if you are a good ps2 owner, they will likely repair it for free.

Your out shipping, but you will likely end up with a free ps2 controller.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Your lense is dirty and likely old or needs an adjustment. This is a known flaw with older units and there are several ways to fix it. Sending it to Sony is the easiest to do, but there are FAQs on cleaning and lense voltage adjustment.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Put two pieces of tape on the top of the disc. But don't be like my coworker when I let him borrow Contra Shattered Soldier; The game wouldn't play on his PS2 so he followed that tape trick and put two pieces of tape on the bottom of the disc first and then figured out it was suppose to be on the top! Contra and other cd games now run on his PS2.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
dark10x said:
Your lense is dirty and likely old or needs an adjustment. This is a known flaw with older units and there are several ways to fix it. Sending it to Sony is the easiest to do, but there are FAQs on cleaning and lense voltage adjustment.

I don't reccomend the voltage adjustment, it fixed it in the short term, but eventually it quit working alltogether

Oni Jazar

I cleaned the lense and messed with that white gear (taken from the G4Techtv link) with no luck. It seems like a mechanical issue since I can hear a slight grinding or fart type noise while it tries to read the blue CD disk. Put in a DVD and it reads it quiet as a mouse. Unfortunately calling sony seems out since the warranty is void.

Any other suggestions?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Suikoguy said:
I don't reccomend the voltage adjustment, it fixed it in the short term, but eventually it quit working alltogether

Well, it varies...

I adjusted the CD lens for a friend over 2 years ago and their system still works perfectly to this day.

Suikoguy

Unfortunately calling sony seems out since the warranty is void.

That does not mean much, sony repaired my outta warenty for free.
Call them! Whats the worst it can happen?

I sent my brothers' to Sony. They sent it back in a week. Cost to me was $10 for shipping with insurance. If even that much. They gave it an all new warranty too.

If you're worried about it being voided... don't. I had opened the PS2 in the past to fix a problem, so obviously I cut the warranty sticker. They fixed it anyway.

This isn't a warranty issue. This isn't because Sony is nice. It's because they were sued since this was such a constant problem and they're stuck fixing these disc read problems now.

The only way you'll have an issue would be if you modded it or you broke it by physically hitting it or something like that.

My modded PS2 quit playing CD based games and I had just received Disgaea (CD version in Europe), so I just bought a new one. I was getting Singstar as well so the set didn't end up that expensive...

I doubt Sony would repair a modded PS2, and if they did, I doubt the chip would still be left inside when it came back.

Top Bottom